Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

wukkar posted:

You probably need to lower them past cordial first. From the diplomacy lense, select annex subject and hover over them to see the requirements. Clicking into their country won't have anything listed under plays which you can't currently do.

I don't have the annex subject available in any of my lenses, that's my main problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I colonized some Pacific Islands. To get people to move there do I need to build somewhere for them to work then subsidize the building until people move there and make the building profitable?

people won't really move there. i guess if you turned on the migration attraction edict they might, but mostly those islands are only good for whaling stations and a couple of plantations. the more abstract strategic value that they were actually colonized for irl like coaling stations doesn't exist yet

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Finnish Communists tried to break free from Russia, so I supported them as America (Russia being a rival all game). The Finnish Communists surrendered rather quickly (didn't mobilize soon enough, they were mostly overrun by the time my troops arrived), but this just made me the war leader. I have no war goals I can add during the war, and the only Russian war goal (annex Revolutionary Finland) has been achieved.

We're literally fighting over nothing and devastating Scandinavia, but I'm putting up 10-to-1 K/D ratios, so I'm just gonna see if I can force a draw.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jazerus posted:

people won't really move there. i guess if you turned on the migration attraction edict they might, but mostly those islands are only good for whaling stations and a couple of plantations. the more abstract strategic value that they were actually colonized for irl like coaling stations doesn't exist yet
Good to know, thank you!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Once its fully colonized all bets are off. Thanks to SOL shenanigans I just go notified of a migration wave of Scots targeting my Chilean Celebes colony.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That was something that I was wondering because it seems weird that you can't peacefully integrate friendly territories you're allied with and are senior in a customs union but you purposefully have to get them low enough to diplomatic play?

What kinds of tools do you have for German Unification

Under the culture tab on the left side of the screen you can find a specific section for uniting Germany. Then there are different ways to achieve it but I simply became big enough to scare the rest of the German states to surrender in the Unite Germany diplomatic play.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

It is quite possible to run out of convoys if you're doing a whole ton of trading, making all those pacific islands good for additional ports. So that's kind of simulating their use to facilitate oceanic trade, in a really abstract way.

They also provided my Japan with all its coffee so they ended up fairly built up. I also built a university on each one because lol, why not. That attracted some of my educated population to go out there, so they ended up being fairly prosperous and multicultural. Though when I saw the pop breakdown with Melanesian laborers in the plantations, Korean shopkeepers in the ports, and Japanese intellectuals in the university I got the uncomfortable Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere style "racial harmony" vibes. I've got legal multiculturalism but it's still not a great look.

Arrath posted:

Once its fully colonized all bets are off. Thanks to SOL shenanigans I just go notified of a migration wave of Scots targeting my Chilean Celebes colony.
The less exploitative colonization policy give a huge migration attraction bonus to unincorporated states, even if you fully colonized them. I got a ton of people moving to Japanese Celebes too, until I made it into a state because why not? Well, no one ever moved there again, preferring Manchuria and the like.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've got like half my arable land dedicated to vineyards and I'm the world leader in wine production, but apparently I'm also the world leader in drunkard production with a ratio of drunks to fill versus wine production of about 1.5 to 2.

Is it normal?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like I'm getting the "FRAMED!" event killing me over and over. Every few months I get an event where another colonial power claims they have a claim on one of my colonies. I can either say i got there first and gain a huge 15 infamy, or give the colony to them. It's hosed and I'm generating so much infamy from it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

a spectre is haunting europe - the spectre of ubik

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

eXXon posted:

How do I reassign a general to a different HQ? I don't see anything except recruiting a new one, which I don't need.

It’s not possible, I spent a long time looking into it earlier this week. The HQ you recruit the general to is the HQ they will spend their life in during peacetime when they’re not in charge of fronts.

Not sure how to move battalions around to a different HQ either. That might be locked into something automated too.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Update on my United Tribes game:

Australia was balkanised in my desparate attempt not to own any of it. Fun fact: even if you try to release Australia as United Tribes or Aotearoa, you'll lose South Island because North and South Island are also, by default, part of Australia. My demographic makeup has also kinda gone nuts, there's a lot of Manchu folks living down south now, along with a lot of Native Americans.

It's kind of a cool tag to try though, you get iron and coal and you start in the British market, and you get a bunch of gold mines, so you've got the bones of a good economy, just no people to support it at first.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I need to fix my standard of living, but I have no ide show.

I have a gently caress ton of radicals due to standard of living decline, but my standard of living averages are 13% for the lower strata, so I think that's pretty good.

How do I get these people back on side?

Not sure if it's related by my rural folk hate me at - 12 approval.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It’s not possible, I spent a long time looking into it earlier this week. The HQ you recruit the general to is the HQ they will spend their life in during peacetime when they’re not in charge of fronts.

Not sure how to move battalions around to a different HQ either. That might be locked into something automated too.

Ugh, that's a pretty bad oversight. Hopefully it gets patched soon.

Battalions I sort of understand - those are just 1-2 per barracks, right?

Baronjutter posted:

I feel like I'm getting the "FRAMED!" event killing me over and over. Every few months I get an event where another colonial power claims they have a claim on one of my colonies. I can either say i got there first and gain a huge 15 infamy, or give the colony to them. It's hosed and I'm generating so much infamy from it.

Yeah I colonized basically the area of DRC as Spain and got that event and the expedition one at least once per year. It was particularly painful as I had quinine but didn't realize I needed the malaria mitigation tech to avoid the 95% colonation speed penalty.

The colonization mechanics are slightly improved compared to ye olde blank slate but the decentralized nations get crushed so easily and there's little interaction or anything to remind you that you're actually doing a Bad Thing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Russia started a war with Egypt and bribed me to join with war reparations, but France joined on the other side. It's been going for years now. Everyone is at 0 war support, Egypt is in default and Russia is halfway there, and the only combat was France failing two invasions on St. Petersburg. Russia is still insisting that Egypt release Crete. I didn't mobilize my army so it's not costing me anything but I feel like the AI should white peace at this point.

eXXon posted:

The colonization mechanics are slightly improved compared to ye olde blank slate but the decentralized nations get crushed so easily and there's little interaction or anything to remind you that you're actually doing a Bad Thing.

It's weird that if there's an uprising you can just annex the whole nation, you would imagine that uprisings would make colonization slower not faster.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

we just finished up a 38-40 person MP game in mapgoons and it wasn't a total disaster?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I could see him taking up the position out of spite if John Calhoun pissed him off enough.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

:thunk:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

trying to get independence from the qing as korea and all i can do is just demand independence, get rejected, and cry? the only realistic way i can see myself getting out from under manchu yoke is by suddenly raising a thousand divisions

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

I especially love that he's still a Nihilist.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Jeoh posted:

trying to get independence from the qing as korea and all i can do is just demand independence, get rejected, and cry? the only realistic way i can see myself getting out from under manchu yoke is by suddenly raising a thousand divisions

Last long enough that the Taiping rebellion pops up, Heavenly Kingdom spawns and fights Qing, you're forced in to fighting alongside Qing since you're their vassal, your economy crumbles, and if Heavenly Kingdom wins, you either get to fight a much smaller Qing, or you get "lucky" and some other power starts a war to cut Qing down to size and you get cut loose from their grip.

Or at least that's how it worked for me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sometimes an encyclical is just and encyclical.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Does anybody else notice the economy getting weird and flipfloppy around 1860? My income will just go up and down from week to week. I also get an alert that I don't have enough convoys that turns on and off every week. And sure enough, in my trade screen, the number of convoys I need is spiking from like 2500 to 3500 and back again each week. No idea what's causing that. Anyone else seen something similar?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Does anybody else notice the economy getting weird and flipfloppy around 1860? My income will just go up and down from week to week. I also get an alert that I don't have enough convoys that turns on and off every week. And sure enough, in my trade screen, the number of convoys I need is spiking from like 2500 to 3500 and back again each week. No idea what's causing that. Anyone else seen something similar?

Yes same timing too.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

we just finished up a 38-40 person MP game in mapgoons and it wasn't a total disaster?

Honestly I was surprised that we got past the many hiccups.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just had britain plunge into a proletarian revolt. thinking about liberating the raj to give the vanguardists some help with dismantling the empire

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It looks like my Chilean railroads are being subsidized automatically and its costing me tons. When I look at my market screen I can see that Transportation is expensive. If Transportation is expensive why do my railroads need to be so heavily subsidized?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It looks like my Chilean railroads are being subsidized automatically and its costing me tons. When I look at my market screen I can see that Transportation is expensive. If Transportation is expensive why do my railroads need to be so heavily subsidized?

Input goods and/or wages are too high. It's a good idea to subsidize transportation anyway, since you can't import it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Input goods and/or wages are too high. It's a good idea to subsidize transportation anyway, since you can't import it.

The least they can do is not fill up their coffers with subsidies and give the balance back to me!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Yup, okay, that makes (unfortunate) sense. Thank you again!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How do I see how much military supply an area has?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrath posted:

The least they can do is not fill up their coffers with subsidies and give the balance back to me!

The capitalists pay it back in the form of the investment pool. Trickle down works! :capitalism:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

hmm yes, tell me more about the father, the son and the holy ghost

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How should I be placing my items? Do I need food in every state or will it get relocated where it's needed?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Diesel powered electrical plants seem like they're a trap with the current AI disinterest in developing advanced resources. It's a lot better to just stick with coal and build more power plants, coal is everywhere.

Relatedly, it's 1910 in my current game, and there isn't a single oil-producing province in the entire Middle East. Are country tech levels displayed somewhere? It would be nice to know if it's just really bad resource luck or if they haven't researched the relevant tech yet.

Jarvisi posted:

How should I be placing my items? Do I need food in every state or will it get relocated where it's needed?

It will be automatically relocated. You want to specialize, I think there's a throughput bonus for each level of a resource production building.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've been playing Cuba and it's really interesting. A one state country that ends up surprisingly strong. You just need to suck up to England to bully Spain into giving you your independence. Also Haiti is like right there and easy to conquer.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 30, 2022

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

As long as you have sufficient infrastructure, it will automatically go to your market and be purchasable by anyone regardless of their location in your country.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Edit damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

Last long enough that the Taiping rebellion pops up, Heavenly Kingdom spawns and fights Qing, you're forced in to fighting alongside Qing since you're their vassal, your economy crumbles, and if Heavenly Kingdom wins, you either get to fight a much smaller Qing, or you get "lucky" and some other power starts a war to cut Qing down to size and you get cut loose from their grip.

Or at least that's how it worked for me.

If you're lucky and it happens anyway. In my game there have been no Taipings or Boxers or any European colonization at all other than the UK taking a single treaty port ages ago. Was looking forward to taking over Korea and Manchuria but without a shattered Qing there's no chance.