Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Thanks! Took him to a Vetco clinic for his boosters and he might be more like 6 months :pwn:

lol. The shelter listed him as 3.5 months, which was obviously super off, but I didn’t think would be THAT far off. Honestly the sooner he grows out of the hyperactive poo poo head phase the better.

ETA:
https://i.imgur.com/2sV9fQv.mp4
They’ve been playing this morning!!!

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Crocobile posted:

Thanks! Took him to a Vetco clinic for his boosters and he might be more like 6 months :pwn:

lol. The shelter listed him as 3.5 months, which was obviously super off, but I didn’t think would be THAT far off. Honestly the sooner he grows out of the hyperactive poo poo head phase the better.

ETA:

The siamese kitty moved over for the black kitty :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie's so big now that he's squashed down one side of the top platform of his cat tree, and he's fallen off it three times now. I've turned it around so the squashed side is at the back, and he seems a lot more cautious about sleeping up there now. Yesterday I saw him do it, it's when he's asleep or half-asleep, moves or stretches out and he just flops off. It's about a 4ft drop onto an ottoman but yesterday we had the tower fan there and he landed on top of it :( He seems fine, I've kept a close eye on him, but it definitely spooked him. If he does it again I'm taking the top platform off until he realises he's too big to stretch out there now :mad:

e: I have had all kinds of embarrassing panicky first-time cat owner posts in this thread before, all totally unnecessary, we are fine, he is awesome. Here he is in all his enormous 9 month old glory

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 30, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kw0134 posted:

I'm sorry to hear that and hope your vets are able to put together a plan to manage his dotage to give Jet the best quality of life he can have.

Thank you. He will be fine for now, I’m gonna do what I can to make this as least stressful as possible for him. I don’t know about myself yet.

I also don’t really know what happens now. Things have just kinda snowballed recently. Not only is Jet exhibiting signs of either IBD or small-cell lymphoma, we can’t even figure out which one and in fact can’t treat one because he we found out he has heart disease that’s progressed too far. So his guts are rebelling, his heart is dying, his mood is changing, and the time I have left with him is now measured in months and not years.

He’s on a bunch of new pills now, two of them twice a day, one of them once a day. He doesn’t enjoy taking them. I don’t enjoy giving them. It all gets in the way.

These next few months are not going to be great. (And this chicken alfredo tastes awful, too.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uh, let’s talk sifting litter boxes instead. I need a new box for Feline Pine use. It’s gotta be big, at least 22”L x 16.5”W. This Frisco one apparently doesn’t do a very good job cause it lets pellets through, and the Van Ness one is too small. Any tips?

I could DIY my own from some shallow plastic bins from Home Depot or something but…iunno. I’m not feeling it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

eating only apples posted:

Ferdie's so big now that he's squashed down one side of the top platform of his cat tree, and he's fallen off it three times now. I've turned it around so the squashed side is at the back, and he seems a lot more cautious about sleeping up there now. Yesterday I saw him do it, it's when he's asleep or half-asleep, moves or stretches out and he just flops off. It's about a 4ft drop onto an ottoman but yesterday we had the tower fan there and he landed on top of it :( He seems fine, I've kept a close eye on him, but it definitely spooked him. If he does it again I'm taking the top platform off until he realises he's too big to stretch out there now :mad:

e: I have had all kinds of embarrassing panicky first-time cat owner posts in this thread before, all totally unnecessary, we are fine, he is awesome. Here he is in all his enormous 9 month old glory

Oh MY. :kimchi:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everything I’m reading suggests DIYing Feline Pine boxes is infinitely superior so gently caress it, time to drill.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In other litterbox news, I'm a couple weeks in with the Modkat box I bought and it's very very good. I'm not using the top entrance config because I'm scared of my cats deciding they don't want to do it one day and making GBS threads on our bed but Finn can piss on the walls all he wants and it's a snap to clean up, the lid sorta flips back to let you scoop easily too which is really handy. Really sturdy construction and the liner it came with seems to be holding up well. Definitely worth the investment imo if you're looking for a slightly bougier litterbox for one reason or another.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doesn’t look like their tray is compatible with pellets. Oh well.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’m probably going to get a 2nd ModKat box. Last year they had 20% for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, so I just have to stand the little guy tracking litter for 4 more weeks. Good news (???) he already seems to prefer using Sinjin’s ModKat box.

ETA: JUST as I hit post this wretched kitten hopped out of the top-entry box with a turd in his mouth and dropped it on the ground to bat around.
:barf::supaburn::cripes:

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 30, 2022

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kitten.exe is working properly. Ticket closed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I think I’ll get adults next.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kittenhood only lasts a few months and I've always loved the energy and not minded the workload. Plus it's the best time to train them.

Wish I could take all the kittens.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There are a lot of adult and senior cats who need homes. Kittens, on the other hand, are easy to find homes for.

That said they’re cute, sure - maybe if my next place can handle three cats I’ll get a bonded pair and a baby.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I’m kind of glad that we got a 2-3 year old cat for my first cat, especially since there’s a couple of days a week where neither me nor my SO are in. And Affie is just so well behaved and a sweetheart, although we might have got lucky in that regard.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You are spoiled, cat. Spoiled.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry what are we looking at here? Is the urine supposed to run down into the second bin? Won't that just dry down there and stink like hell?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Nice DIY! I haven’t tried pine litter but is that the stuff that turns to sawdust when it’s peed on? It sounds like magic.

Ok ok so sorry for spamming the cat threads and I know things are still adjusting and they’ve literally just met eachother:
Question for people who had one cat and adopted a younger cat! How do you handle interactive play sessions? I used to play with different attachments of Da Bird toy with Sinjin and he’d chase it around the apartment. Also he has these little balls I’d toss and he’d bring them back to me. :3:

Now Niko chases anything that moves and does all these aerial jumps and stuff while Sinjin just sits back and watches. He’s sometimes crouching down and wiggling like he wants to pounce but the kitten dashes ahead and Sinjin backs off. I got the 2nd cat because I felt like our interactive sessions weren’t enough for him but now we don’t get that time at all. :qq: And today Sinjin started scratching at the front door which he’s NEVER done before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crocobile posted:

Nice DIY! I haven’t tried pine litter but is that the stuff that turns to sawdust when it’s peed on? It sounds like magic.

It's got its upsides, but it also has downsides. Better for the environment, but much worse at covering smells. Much harder to scoop, you need to find a scoop with holes big enough to let pine nuggets fall through and even when you manage that it doesn't shake out as well as clay litter. And you need a sifting setup for the pee. But it also generates a LOT less dust and doesn't get tracked out of the box as easily.

So I guess it has more upsides than downsides, assuming one is diligent about cleaning and don't let the smell get too foul.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Crocobile posted:

Ok ok so sorry for spamming the cat threads and I know things are still adjusting and they’ve literally just met eachother:
Question for people who had one cat and adopted a younger cat! How do you handle interactive play sessions? I used to play with different attachments of Da Bird toy with Sinjin and he’d chase it around the apartment. Also he has these little balls I’d toss and he’d bring them back to me. :3:

Now Niko chases anything that moves and does all these aerial jumps and stuff while Sinjin just sits back and watches. He’s sometimes crouching down and wiggling like he wants to pounce but the kitten dashes ahead and Sinjin backs off. I got the 2nd cat because I felt like our interactive sessions weren’t enough for him but now we don’t get that time at all. :qq: And today Sinjin started scratching at the front door which he’s NEVER done before.
Ooh yeah we went through this exact thing with Merlin when we brought home Kali. She loved (and still loves) to butt in any time one of us tries to play with him, and then he kind of hangs back. It's sad because he LOVES play, he's just so deferential :cry: A few things that worked for us:

- My partner and I each play with one of the cats at the same time, sometimes in different rooms
- Play with Merlin during the day, when he's more active and Kali is sleepy (she's more active at night)
- Play with Kali first to tire her out a bit, and then focus on Merlin (not very effective, she has SO MUCH energy)
- Play with both cats with separate toys, like throwing a ball for one, and then a different ball for the other (tires ME out fast)
- Find toys / play styles that Merlin enjoys but Kali doesn't (he's into ground games, like chasing springs and crinkle balls on the floor; she prefers teasers or string, and soft toys tossed on the couch or bed for her to jump after)

I think trying different play styles and matching the cats' different activity cycles have been the most effective overall. I also agree that the scratching is probably related to boredom, if we don't play with Merlin enough before bed he scratches the closet doors in the bedroom or hallway all night.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I would put Toaster inside the castle, and he'd take the hint. Also Lucky claimed any chasing toys if it was on the cat tree or bed, to the point Toaster still doesn't go for those.

On particularly active days, I'd just harness up Lucky and take him on a solo walk.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m looking into getting another cat after my sweet boy Dante passed recently. But I’m not really sure on if a male or female is the way to go. I know males are supposedly a bit more sociable and the females more independent but Dante was super independent. Hated laps, didn’t want to snuggle next to anyone. He was too dignified for any of that.

Sorta.

I’m not sure if the difference between males and females is actually real or if it’s just kind of a myth.

I wish I could go to a shelter and like, get an idea of a cat’s personalities before I do anything but every rescue I can get to is online application, wait for callback, interview and sometimes home inspection before you can meet the cat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It's possible there might be broad vague trends in personality based on sex but nothing that should inform a specific decision to get a specific cat, cats have hugely varied personalities. To me the main difference is cats with dicks are more likely to have urinary blockages just due to the different plumbing set up.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Organza Quiz posted:

To me the main difference is cats with dicks are more likely to have urinary blockages just due to the different plumbing set up.

Yeah that was a problem that Dante had and a main reason I am wanting to get a cat with less urine blockage risk.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve only had 2 girl cats in my life compared to maybe like 7 boys and both the girls have been much more cuddly and affectionate v:shobon:v

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HellOnEarth posted:

I’m looking into getting another cat after my sweet boy Dante passed recently. But I’m not really sure on if a male or female is the way to go. I know males are supposedly a bit more sociable and the females more independent but Dante was super independent. Hated laps, didn’t want to snuggle next to anyone. He was too dignified for any of that.

Sorta.

I’m not sure if the difference between males and females is actually real or if it’s just kind of a myth.

I wish I could go to a shelter and like, get an idea of a cat’s personalities before I do anything but every rescue I can get to is online application, wait for callback, interview and sometimes home inspection before you can meet the cat.

IME it is not a hard and fast rule. It all depends entirely on the cat. Jet is male and looks very very similar to Dante and he often likes to nap on or near me.

As for a general case, who knows.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

HellOnEarth posted:

When my old roommate adopted her (male) cat from a county shelter in 2019 and she asked which cats were easy to handle. The cat she was directed to seemed friendly and was soliciting pets. When he got home we came to find he’s very independent and prefers his space. Still super easy to handle but he’s only affectionate first thing in the morning or if he’s super scared. :(

Got my 2 boys (last one a week ago lol) through online applications only knowing they were both super scared/shy at the shelter yet were easy to handle/didn’t show aggression. Sinjin continuously became more of a cuddle bug over the 18 months I’ve had him and went from hiding from strangers to confidently soliciting pets. Niko’s new but he’s a cuddly purr machine.

So idk, the shelter is a high-stress environment and it’s hard to judge what their personality will be in your home. Seems like a total crapshoot.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are too many variables to state any sort of rule. Cats have wide ranges on behaviors and personalities, which will be impacted by their environment and your behavior, which is modified still by the presence of other animals. My cats are all very cuddly at various times and spaces and that's I think largely driven by doing a tango between the three of them so they minimize their own in-fighting. The boys sleep on my lap but only while I'm on the first floor of the house; the girl claims priority if I'm in bed, while the boys snooze on a distant corner of the bed or on the floor. So my cats snuggle with me, but who gets to do so at what time is some sort of unspoken agreement that follows no rhyme or reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been around cats my whole life and personally housed 8 of them, there's no pattern based on gender. The only trend I've seen is that cats seem to inherit the personality of their mother. So if mom is aloof and grumpy, the kittens will be too. And if they don't get human contact before 6 months they won't enjoy human company.

But they're also independent creatures so there's going to be exceptions to any rule.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Pollyanna posted:

IME it is not a hard and fast rule. It all depends entirely on the cat. Jet is male and looks very very similar to Dante and he often likes to nap on or near me.

As for a general case, who knows.

Jet is so handsome ...

And thanks everyone for the information, I really appreciate it! I've decided to look for a girl just because I'm not sure I want to deal with spraying and urine crystals. (Dante sprayed even after he was fixed, but only when he saw raccoons in the backyard. He hated them so much...)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just wanted to share a cute picture of Oreo. She is very independant too, but seems to be mellowing a bit as she grows up. She's one and a half now and likes a good fuss two or three times a day. She absolutely hates being picked up though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

NOSE SPOT

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

https://imgur.com/ZqNSPYP

Love the little S-shape tail swishes that Affie does when she seems happy.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Crocobile posted:

ETA:

How well does that fountain work?

I have tried this one which buzzes loudly if if is not filled to the brim,: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-...ps%2C66&sr=8-35

And also I told my husband not to get this one because I worked at a pet store and they have a tendancy to leak, guess what it it leaked all over the place": https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...aps%2C85&sr=8-2

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

How well does that fountain work?

I have tried this one which buzzes loudly if if is not filled to the brim,: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-...ps%2C66&sr=8-35

I had the fountain you quoted once, it worked well enough but I found it got dirty very quickly and was rather tedious to clean.

I ended up getting the fountain you linked afterwards, and it was easier to clean but also very noisy. Then it randomly broke on me and I just never bothered to replace it.

Jet gets a simple metal bowl of fresh water every morning and every night now. Easy, cheap, no moving parts, dead simple to clean, and he drinks from it perfectly well. Godsend now that he’s on a diuretic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I will once again throw out a recommendation for this PETKIT Fountain, after trying a bunch of them this one has been by far the best. It's quiet, the stainless steel is easy to clean, the base is what gets plugged into the wall and the reservoir itself just lifts up off of it so it's easy to refill/clean, it has a "smart" mode that cycles the pump on/off so it's not running all day, and the base has a spot for 4x AA batteries as a backup in the event that the power goes out. It's also solid as hell so I don't really see any cats being able to tip this thing over. I've had it for two years now and haven't had to replace anything other than the filters.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

explosivo posted:

I will once again throw out a recommendation for this PETKIT Fountain, after trying a bunch of them this one has been by far the best. It's quiet, the stainless steel is easy to clean, the base is what gets plugged into the wall and the reservoir itself just lifts up off of it so it's easy to refill/clean, it has a "smart" mode that cycles the pump on/off so it's not running all day, and the base has a spot for 4x AA batteries as a backup in the event that the power goes out. It's also solid as hell so I don't really see any cats being able to tip this thing over. I've had it for two years now and haven't had to replace anything other than the filters.

That's the eversweet 3, I have the eversweet 2 (actually available in Canada) and it's been great also. I did have to put some screws in the side to stop Quill from lifting the pieces of it out from the top to play with them but I suspect that's just Quill.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

My boys are approximately 6 mo now and just wanted to share a few recent photos:

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Found this guy at about 6 weeks old, alone and abandoned for a while before I was able to trap him.

She’s very cuddly, and watches me run the tub every morning. We named her PoPurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

How! posted:

Found this guy at about 6 weeks old, alone and abandoned for a while before I was able to trap him.

She’s very cuddly, and watches me run the tub every morning. We named her PoPurry.

Oh she’s a beauty!!

I hope you guys will excuse a few more inane cat questions…

I’m a little worried about kitten-proofing (if I end up getting kitten(s) but my apartment has a somewhat weird feature. The building is really old and so in the bedroom areas, it just has some open cubbyholes instead of a proper closet. There’s no door to be had.

This is the setup I’m using… there’s nowhere else to fit the drawers, either.

Is there like… anything here I can do or should I just dehumanize myself and face to putting all my dresses and nice clothes in a sliding under-the-bed things until kitten(s) are less bastardly?

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 2, 2022