Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you don’t want folks who support causes you agree with to do this, then you admit defeat.

Perhaps. But what I mean is I don't want to wind up with a bunch of left wing Sean Hannity's, MGT's and Donald Trumps because That's What You Must Do to Get Elected. Or even heard. And, to me, when we actually arrive THERE is when I personally will admit defeat.

Democrats don't have to get that far into the crazy bullshit, subterfuge and denying abject reality because, in theory at least, they and their base are on the correct side of most issues, even if they collectively lack a lot in the way of solutions. Meaning they don't have to go all Liberal FOX News about it and just flat out make poo poo up. They just need to grow some loving balls, call this poo poo what it is and amplify, clarify and most especially unite and coordinate their messaging. They don't have to make poo poo up like election fraud and what have you. The 1/6 committee is what is like to see more of.

Joe Biden waited until 8 weeks before the mid terms to even appear to be trying to placate his base. Meanwhile, RvW got overturned under his watch and he got saddled with the Afghanistan withdrawal fiasco and whatever this economy is.

I keep thinking of that old SNL sketch where the guy playing Dukakis or whoever it was said "I can't believe I'm losing to this guy" and that was like 40 loving years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What's up with the deisel supply situation? Guys at the bar are melting down over it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What's up with the deisel supply situation? Guys at the bar are melting down over it.

must be a big right wing talking point rn because my dad brought it up today out of nowhere

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The source being primarily cited, based on some quick googling, is a report from the Energy Information Administration which is being cited to claim that there is "only 25 days of supply left". They just released a periodic deisel and gas report on the 28th, but a quick review says it covers pricing, not supply. No one's linking the report itself, which is frustrating, and I can't immediately find a basis for it on their site.

Brian Deese, director of the National Economic Council (a white house advisory group) is being quoted based on statements originally issued to Bloomberg, apparently saying supply is "unacceptably low" and "all options are on the table;" I can't access the direct sourcing within bloomberg's system. From there, there are a few oil companies similarly reporting regional shortages, but I can't find anything particularly widely reported, and none of them are screaming doom that I can see; Fox News has reported it but there's not a lot of narrative-building on it from there yet either. If it's getting a lot of traction, there's probably a common mediating right wing source, like a talk radio or podcast host, that's blown it up.

Tatsuta Age posted:

must be a big right wing talking point rn because my dad brought it up today out of nowhere

What sources of media does your dad usually consume?

edit: per Reuters, it's this weekly petroleum report that's the source for the supply claim:
https://www.eia.gov/petroleum/supply/weekly/

With that said I still can't find a clear source for the 25 days claim, or for the specific stat mentioned in the Reuters article; they seem to be grabbing numbers from several different places, and none of them quite match the report's source summary or values in tables 1 or 9.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 30, 2022

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Thank you, it's definitely getting push3d in right wing media since youtube has been trying to show me Tucker Carlson panicking about it for the last 2 days.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As far as I can tell (and I'm really not knowledgeable in this area), the relative deficit of diesel is real and is the product of several factors at once, including ongoing supply chain problems, disruptions specficially to petroleum supplies due to stuff like the UAE cutoff, activity in Venezuela, and the Russian sanctions, and simply that other parts of the economy that use diesel are reentering productivity at a faster rate than the supply chain for diesel itself (a special case of the general supply chain situation). The effect is that the diesel shortage will be an economic drag or constraint, but I can't judge the size of its impact. It doesn't seem like it would be truly catastrophic on its own.

edit: Interesting, Tucker material like this completely bonkers editorial that mention the diesel issue don't show up in my direct site searches. The simple abuse that Tucker uses is to equate "we currently have 25 days' supply of diesel" with "we are going to completely run out of diesel in 25 days", which is really, really not the same thing. This lets him spin up the rest of the doomsday scenario. Tucker and fox news appears likely to be the common root source of this framing of the event. If we assume the distillate total reported by Reuters is 1-to-1 with diesel supply (which it likely isn't), then it would mean that on average over the past 10 years, we'd have about 31.25 days' supply this time of year.

edit 2: Interesting, Tucker's editorial is using the basic Russian "winter is coming" line, coupled with several path-clearing actions from other parts of Fox News that line up that narrative. The supposed animus, the way that this is attributed to the Democrats, is that the US is supporting Ukraine is because it's "Biden's religious war" against Russian conservative Christian values.

edit 3: vvv that sounds reasonable, with the added advantage of being an easy right wing news narrative everytime!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 30, 2022

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I figured the diesel market is probably worth more now than later and sounds like that’s what is going on. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-21/what-backwardation-has-to-do-with-us-diesel-squeeze-quicktake

Basically, if you don’t sell your diesel now you can lose a ton of money selling it later when the value isn’t as high. No-one wants to lock in resupply right now while prices are heading downwards unless they can match it to a hedging instrument, or buy it at a price that they think is safely low enough. It’s hard to get hedges on regional marketsm, plus the regional markets can move in different directions from NY-based hedging instruments. Buy diesel in LA and not only lose money locally as prices fall, but lose on your short as NYMEX reverses and goes up instead.

Betcha market is pricing in crude getting crushed as Saudi dump oil onto the market when republicans take back Congress. These shenanigans happen non-stop in commodities markets.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah one of my co-workers came to me with that and honestly I was just too tired to push back. Really wanted to go "Wow, we actually store that much diesel in this country? Do you realize how much fuel America burns? Also you do realize that more diesel is constantly being refined, 24/7, to replace what we're burning?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elon Musk is already off to a great start as Twitter owner, with him now pushing the idea that Paul Pelosi was at a gay bar with another man and that this was what caused the attack (obviously this is total bullshit)

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1586734905173712901?s=20&t=c6a9PF-cgu7SWczc-7_HQg

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Elon Musk is already off to a great start as Twitter owner, with him now pushing the idea that Paul Pelosi was at a gay bar with another man and that this was what caused the attack (obviously this is total bullshit)

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1586734905173712901?s=20&t=c6a9PF-cgu7SWczc-7_HQg

This shouldn't be surprising, being able to troll people in front of a large audience without any fear of consequences or accountability was clearly a large part of his motivation buying Twitter.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 30, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This shouldn't be surprising, being able to troll people in front of a large audience without any fear of consequences or accountability was clearly a large part of his motivation buying Twitter.
See here's the thing....I think he believes a lot of this poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wonder how long journalists are going to use the nazi bird site to make shocked posts about what the nazi bird site owner is doing while being harassed by nazi bird site posters

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How has twitter stayed afloat all this time? It’s always been unusable and full of nazis. There’s a thin crust of absolute psychos who post hundreds of times a day there and I can’t imagine they’d ever stop, but what would it take for twitter to finally die?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

See here's the thing....I think he believes a lot of this poo poo

So he's basically a less pathetic Notch?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

I AM GRANDO posted:

How has twitter stayed afloat all this time? It’s always been unusable and full of nazis. There’s a thin crust of absolute psychos who post hundreds of times a day there and I can’t imagine they’d ever stop, but what would it take for twitter to finally die?
I think Twitter has been, statistically speaking, pretty left leaning in terms of volume. It’s just that there’s some bad blind spots so you get five or so garbage people ruining the world with the platform.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's the only site where you have a reasonable chance of getting a sick burn on a billionaire or celebrity, and it's the only social media site I can think of that has working text embeds everywhere so you can go rile up your friends to go yell at every dumb take you stumble across.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Musk comes off like one of those dumb teenagers getting into bitter internet flame wars over video games.

Just a complete and total airhead with the absolute shallowest, most brainless, immature take on any issue a person could possibly have, which he feels the need to spout off about to everyone, with no real self-awareness, while at the same time being pathologically obsessed with people's opinion of him.

One of the interesting aspects of the rise of social media is watching all these rich people getting pilloried for their clueless hot takes and then realizing in real time that no amount of money can sooth the wounds of public humiliation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

It's the only site where you have a reasonable chance of getting a sick burn on a billionaire or celebrity, and it's the only social media site I can think of that has working text embeds everywhere so you can go rile up your friends to go yell at every dumb take you stumble across.

Twitter was yelling at users for taking screen grabs days ago as it hurt their bottom line but not having people link to Twitter. I wish more people would take screenshots now if they’re going to continue to use Elon’s nazi site.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Let's be real he is buying it to go after the people who want him and his businesses to be more scrutinized and regulated. He hates that Elizabeth Warren called him out and needs a platform to control the debate. His "free speech maximalism" is going to be total bullshit because he is absolutely going to shut down any discussion on his businesses.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I think Twitter has been, statistically speaking, pretty left leaning in terms of volume. It’s just that there’s some bad blind spots so you get five or so garbage people ruining the world with the platform.

What stats are you looking at?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah, got called out on it and deleted the tweet, which has now made all the chuds mad because he caved into the Left.

I am wondering that chief of policy he fired told him that he shouldn't be posting and delete his account because it opens him up to liability and he fired him because of that?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

The most important thing to consider when investing in tech is not whether a company makes money or produces anything at all, but their potential future valuation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I vaguely remember that it was about to collapse in 2015, but Trump using it for his campaign/presidency gave it a hell of a shot in the arm.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Bear Enthusiast posted:

What stats are you looking at?

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2019/04/24/sizing-up-twitter-users/

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's great for trolly bullshit like Musk engages in, but it's also pretty good for disseminating news and video, and for various celebrities and politicians to pimp their brands to their base of consumers or voters.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zwabu posted:

It's great for trolly bullshit like Musk engages in, but it's also pretty good for disseminating news and video, and for various celebrities and politicians to pimp their brands to their base of consumers or voters.

Honestly, it's great if you follow sports too.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, got called out on it and deleted the tweet, which has now made all the chuds mad because he caved into the Left.

I am wondering that chief of policy he fired told him that he shouldn't be posting and delete his account because it opens him up to liability and he fired him because of that?

If there's one good thing that can be said about Musk its that he tends to cave to public pressure instead of doubling down whenever it becomes clear that his dumb ideas aren't winning him the accolades he hoped for. The thing is, this never leads to any real introspection on his part and I'm sure he would have kept going with it if there hadn't been any pushback against it. And I'm sure it won't be long before we see him try again with something similarly boneheaded.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If there's one good thing that can be said about Musk its that he tends to cave to public pressure instead of doubling down whenever it becomes clear that his dumb ideas aren't winning him the accolades he hoped for. The thing is, this never leads to any real introspection on his part and I'm sure he would have kept going with it if there hadn't been any pushback against it. And I'm sure it won't be long before we see him try again with something similarly boneheaded.

It sounds like he's going to try and force mass layoffs tomorrow, to avoid having to pay a 2 month severance Twitter has contracted with their employees if laid off after Nov 1st, but he needed to give 60 days notice or be in violation of the WARN Act.

So, that's the next thing to look out for.

Edit: BTW, since foreign policy is American policy, Lula da Silva just won the runoff in Brazil against Bolsonaro.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only thing that's going to kill Twitter is for someone to develop a version of it that enough people prefer over the original to trigger a mass cultural exodus.

Basically something to do to Twitter what Facebook with Farmville did to Myspace.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Edit: BTW, since foreign policy is American policy, Lula da Silva just won the runoff in Brazil against Bolsonaro.

Thank God

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Do you think Bolsonaro will complain about the election being rigged soon?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gatts posted:

Thank God

It's a great sign, but now we get to watch to see if Bolsonaro attempts/pulls off a coup of his own.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Do you think Bolsonaro will complain about the election being rigged soon?

The world waits with bated breath.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I AM GRANDO posted:

its fantastic for sports clips

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

the_steve posted:

The only thing that's going to kill Twitter is for someone to develop a version of it that enough people prefer over the original to trigger a mass cultural exodus.

Basically something to do to Twitter what Facebook with Farmville did to Myspace.

Well, Jack Dorsey greeted the news of Elon finally closing the deal on Twitter by announcing that his Bluesky Social app, a decentralized, federated social network protocol, with "user data...free of government influence and controlled by users than commercialized by a corporation", has entered closed beta testing.

Like I've said before, everyone at Twitter involved with this deal knew about this, the only person who doesn't is the rube Musk.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 31, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

its fantastic for sports clips

It's fantastic for disseminating a small amount of information very quickly to a large audience. It's godawful for holding an extended conversation or disseminating large amounts of information or information that needs context to be understood.

It survives by letting people read the content they want for free. If Elon tries to make a paywall, it'll die. If he lets it turn into enough of a cesspool that major brands pull their money, it'll die

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the_steve posted:

not really

remember: twitter sells ads. users are the product, not the customer. if musk makes twitter a right-wing hellscape the ads will leave far sooner than the users.

remember, musk has to pay $1 billion in interest per year, on top of all the money twitter loses already with advertisers that aren't fleeing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evilweasel posted:

not really

remember: twitter sells ads. users are the product, not the customer. if musk makes twitter a right-wing hellscape the ads will leave far sooner than the users.

remember, musk has to pay $1 billion in interest per year, on top of all the money twitter loses already with advertisers that aren't fleeing

Don't forget how much he overpaid right from the outset too!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean he bid against himself. Nobody was going to offer anything in that neighborhood for a company that doesn't really have a major profit earner outside of online ads (which as a whole have been declining across the Internet over the last several years as companies are finding out how poorly they work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Remember how Yahoo bought Tumblr for $1 billion and sold it for $3 million? It's gonna be extremely funny if the exact same thing happens again on a much grander scale.