Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

FAPI: How tough is the Untalented challenge? I just crossed 2k RP and have 27 cows and my autoadvance on medium stalls out around 3-4-170 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

https://louigiverona.com/bananas/bananas_worlds/
This banana game has kind of an interesting prestige system tied together in a challenge system (big prestiges happen when you go down to 0 bananas). Too bad you run out of upgrades before you run out of islands

it's a cool idea, but it takes way too long to get to the island selection and there's not enough basic upgrades to keep you busy. It mostly boils down to maxing out the truck speed and waiting for a long time. To make things worse, it doesn't progress if it isn't an active tab, at least for me, which is a pet peeve of mine for idle games.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

can I just pick up and play Melvor Idle or is it one of those games I should look up a guide for so i dont gently caress up or lock myself out of something

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

can I just pick up and play Melvor Idle or is it one of those games I should look up a guide for so i dont gently caress up or lock myself out of something

Just start playing, there's guides for stuff but it all requires a fair bit of levels before any of it matters. I don't think you can lock yourself out of anything or make stuff harder by doing it out of order.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Victorkm posted:

FAPI: How tough is the Untalented challenge? I just crossed 2k RP and have 27 cows and my autoadvance on medium stalls out around 3-4-170 or so.

I can’t quite remember how far along I was the first time I cleared that challenge, but I remember it being a bit challenging when first unlocked. To the point where I gave up and came back after a few days.

I would recommend giving it a shot and seeing how close you get within your first hour or so. If you can get within 5 or 10 ranks in the level, stick it out a bit and pop a potion. Any less than that, and you probably have too long to go and it will be better to give up and try again later.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
FAPI

I have gotten the ball rolling in ascension 1 (first 6 challenges done, 2500 in every class, reinc level 1100) and things feels far slower than in asc0. It takes a long rear end time to get any poop while in the first run i had several hundred k just minutes into a run. Also combat prowess feels much lower, e.g. my starting zone is 1-9 and i get oneshot as soon as it starts, i must use my talents and get some confection levels going before i can start progressing. In the first run i could get to 2-3 at the start of a run.
Almost feels like something is wrong.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Kvlt! posted:

Just play. There's more efficient paths by getting certain bonuses earlier or whatever but it's nothing major. There's ways to gently caress up in the Township skill, but you can just reset the town and try again, it won't impact the rest of the game.

e: The expansion content is pretty nice, but don't bother purchasing it if you're just getting in. It's almost entirely late-game content that you won't even be able to touch until you're level 100 in the skill

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

FAPI

I have gotten the ball rolling in ascension 1 (first 6 challenges done, 2500 in every class, reinc level 1100) and things feels far slower than in asc0. It takes a long rear end time to get any poop while in the first run i had several hundred k just minutes into a run. Also combat prowess feels much lower, e.g. my starting zone is 1-9 and i get oneshot as soon as it starts, i must use my talents and get some confection levels going before i can start progressing. In the first run i could get to 2-3 at the start of a run.
Almost feels like something is wrong.

The X-9 zones are quite a bit harder than the zone before them. Might be worthwhile to drop back to 1-8 and get the ball rolling with potatoes and skulls to get the steam needed to leapfrog past 1-9 into 2-1 and beyond. This will probably be the case until you get the 7th challenge under your belt that keeps the 3rd skull page from resetting. Having to face all 50 (I think) potatoes per wave of 1-9 is going to be super slow for your first stage after rebirth. Just a single stage or two of skulls will drop that significantly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kvlt! posted:

the only time you might need a guide is when you start doing god dungeons in the end-game, and that's really only just so you can know what the best gear is so you can (relatively) safely idle them instead of having to hover over the "eat food" button like a hawk.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Just wondered for like an hour why FE000000 had such a ridiculous wall shortly after powers showed up

I was unwittingly in Complexity Challenge 2

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xtanstic posted:

I am eager to have a look at your game!

I've been chugging away at it the past 2 weeks and there's been no pesky new releases I've been interested in or new Path of Exile leagues to stall progress for months at a time so I've been making pretty steady progress, though a lot of it is just unflashy background stuff like optimizing things, making certain tooltips look less rear end, or going in and putting in actual code for things that didn't have it.

I'm really hoping to get a public version out that's basically just the first half or so of the first reset (and maybe further) by the end of my thanksgiving break since I'll have a week off to knock stuff out.

Right now I have a lot of little UI pieces to add the code for, 2 major pre-reset mechanics left to do (The actual story and a fusion mechanic for making higher tier materials like alloys and such), and I also need to rip apart the entire tech/upgrade tree and replace it with one that's not just built around testing that different mechanics work.

Since my last post, I believe the main new things in the game are:

Saving: I redid how I did saving and actually got WebGL saving to work.

Relics: Items that can rarely drop from dungeons, they are basically an incentive for continuing to run older dungeons later into the game. The boosts from individual relics might be anything from boosting an item blueprint or it might upgrade or add a new trait to one of your adventurers.

Dungeon Traits: Individual dungeons will have traits that your party composition will need to work around in order to avoid Penalties (Ambushing Minions is countered by an adventurer with Awareness, Swarming Hordes is countered by an Adventure with AOE, etc...) Some traits will also affect drops as well.

.The ability to customize what resources show up on the sidebar.

Improved Adventurer Traits: Under certain conditions you'll be able to unlock or improve Adventurer traits or base power.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nrook posted:

Just wondered for like an hour why FE000000 had such a ridiculous wall shortly after powers showed up

I was unwittingly in Complexity Challenge 2

I suspect that happens to everyone at least once

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Melvor Idle:

Does the game unfold into more than just "click one bar at a time to fill up"? I don't mean that to sound reductive, this being the genre that it is; but having just started im not seeing a lot of opportunity for choice/depth in how the skills are laid out

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Orvin posted:

I can’t quite remember how far along I was the first time I cleared that challenge, but I remember it being a bit challenging when first unlocked. To the point where I gave up and came back after a few days.

I would recommend giving it a shot and seeing how close you get within your first hour or so. If you can get within 5 or 10 ranks in the level, stick it out a bit and pop a potion. Any less than that, and you probably have too long to go and it will be better to give up and try again later.

Apparently I waited too long because I had no problem at all when I tried it lol.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dunno if Idlemancery has been posted yet but it's a pretty fun one. Terrible story though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Pylons posted:

Dunno if Idlemancery has been posted yet but it's a pretty fun one. Terrible story though.

I got to the first reset, saw it was a paltry 50% bonus and just quit. Needs more dev time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Giant Octopus posted:

Melvor Idle:

Does the game unfold into more than just "click one bar at a time to fill up"? I don't mean that to sound reductive, this being the genre that it is; but having just started im not seeing a lot of opportunity for choice/depth in how the skills are laid out
The recently added Town adds a little more to do, but otherwise you are always just running a single bar at a time. Outside of that Combat is the most interactive part other than making decisions on other skills that amount to "I can't do offline combat, so I guess I'll grind Fletching so my ranged combat is better when I'm online"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pylons posted:

I feel like idle games shouldn't have this much input lag

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Got over the hump in FAPI and am progressing fast towards Ascension 2.
What should i use my ascension points on when i do?
Discord claims the milk upgrade is better than the poop upgrade. Maybe math shows it is better but intuitively it does not feel that way.
My playstyle means that on new runs im several hours in before i assign any poop. The poop upgrade essentially means that poop is auto assigned as far as i understand. Wouldnt that be better than getting more milk?. You need 5k reinc levels to even double mill income.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
More milk means more long term stats. I made the mistake of going worm poop stays my second ascension and it was not super useful.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Victorkm posted:

Apparently I waited too long because I had no problem at all when I tried it lol.

I was thinking of the 9th challenge that specifically warns about being hard. That one can be kinda difficult, and you might have to come back later after a few more rebirths.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Rynoto posted:

I got to the first reset, saw it was a paltry 50% bonus and just quit. Needs more dev time.

i got to the first reset, accidentally converted my tier 1 bonus into a tiny tier 2 bonus with no confirmation, and quit.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Giant Octopus posted:

Melvor Idle:

Maybe the expansion adds things, and there are little things like the Golbin raid that never left Beta. Dungeon crawling has a bunch more levers and is a bit more finicky, but I never really leaves this point. I'll be honest that I wouldn't have kept playing that game nearly long enough if it weren't for the fact that it hit my Runescape nostalgia.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I tried Mr. Mine on Steam for a couple days.

Don't play it. It's bad.

Are there any GOOD idle mining games?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
other than mine defense from the op? not that I know of

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ineptitude posted:

Discord claims the milk upgrade is better than the poop upgrade. Maybe math shows it is better but intuitively it does not feel that way.
My playstyle means that on new runs im several hours in before i assign any poop. The poop upgrade essentially means that poop is auto assigned as far as i understand. Wouldnt that be better than getting more milk?. You need 5k reinc levels to even double mill income.

Milk 2point is better the further in you are in Ascensions because of how much prog is tucked away in Milk/Residue, Residue in particular, according to people itt (and I can deffo see it). But like, idk if the difference is noticeable from like, Ascension 2 or not. Meanwhile, I picked up the Poop In Every Confection 2pointer because, besides whatever value it may or may not have in terms of progress, it IS a massive QoL feature as far as I'm concerned. Not having to tweak the Confections menu outside of some Larva distribution from time to time feels AMAZING.

I'm in Ascension 3, and I'm thinking in 4 I'll just lock in both and then see where I go from there.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Ineptitude posted:

One of the residue bonuses scales better than like everything else in the game and this isn't at all obvious, so Milk winds up shaving off a ton of time in the back end of ascensions.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

FAPI question, the QoL Soul Currency feature that auto-converts resources to a specific tier: does it also make the conversion ratio better or worse? I can't parse the text, is a reduced conversion ration good or bad?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

KazigluBey posted:

FAPI question, the QoL Soul Currency feature that auto-converts resources to a specific tier: does it also make the conversion ratio better or worse? I can't parse the text, is a reduced conversion ration good or bad?

Takes less of X to make the same amount of Y

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

No, it wouldn't, unless you literally don't assign it at all at the beginning of your runs, in which case maybe, yes. Poop like everything else suffers from massive diminishing returns, and going from 1b poop in things to 1qa poop in things won't do all that much, except in reincarnation exp for obvious reasons. It feels like QoL, but you'd still need to put beginning skulls and potatoes in place (unless you leave them at auto and don''t assign those either at all) so clicking 12 times more to put in poop isn't that much of an issue. Then again, with that kind of idle play style you'll probably get more out of the bigger amounts of residue reducing the reinc exp needs, as your ascensions are taking that much longer, which means more residue in general.

Another reason now to pick milk would be that the first page of residue upgrades is going to be made permanent in a patch that should be out this week, and more residue means more upgrades from there that you never have to touch again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maigius posted:

Dodecadragons has had an update to add achievements, some of which give you bonuses when you get them. This includes getting max all and auto-buy probably earlier. (I didn't restart)

I restarted, moving the QoL upgrades to achievements makes it much more bearable early on. It's still a slog at times, but I was just pushing into unlocking sigils last night and it's much more bearable now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What am I missing in dodecadragons where almost everything else stays on sigil resets except magic upgrades?

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Anyone have any recommendations of things like Incremental Epic Heros 2 for Android? Unfortunately most of my idle-gaming time takes place away from a desktop. Really just hoping for an idler with that RPG feel; I keep trying to like Melvor Idle but it isn't grabbing me.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Len posted:

What am I missing in dodecadragons where almost everything else stays on sigil resets except magic upgrades?

Short of a bug, achievements should grant magic/dark magic carryover

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Sayara posted:

No, it wouldn't, unless you literally don't assign it at all at the beginning of your runs, in which case maybe, yes. Poop like everything else suffers from massive diminishing returns, and going from 1b poop in things to 1qa poop in things won't do all that much, except in reincarnation exp for obvious reasons. It feels like QoL, but you'd still need to put beginning skulls and potatoes in place (unless you leave them at auto and don''t assign those either at all) so clicking 12 times more to put in poop isn't that much of an issue. Then again, with that kind of idle play style you'll probably get more out of the bigger amounts of residue reducing the reinc exp needs, as your ascensions are taking that much longer, which means more residue in general.

Another reason now to pick milk would be that the first page of residue upgrades is going to be made permanent in a patch that should be out this week, and more residue means more upgrades from there that you never have to touch again.

My gameplay loop is basically reincarnate in the morning, go to work, come home and assign poop, assign poop before bed, reincarnate next morning.
I guess i could swap to reincarnate when i get home.
3 sources now have claimed that milk ascension skill is better than poop ascension skill so i will pick that, it is just such a boring pick :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Short of a bug, achievements should grant magic/dark magic carryover

how far from that am i?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Len posted:

how far from that am i?

Not at my computer at the moment, but you can mouse over the achievements and they will tell you what they unlock. The blue ones give the Auto features. Presumably Pink Sigils will give you the Magic Upgrade Auto feature.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Klungar posted:

Not at my computer at the moment, but you can mouse over the achievements and they will tell you what they unlock. The blue ones give the Auto features. Presumably Pink Sigils will give you the Magic Upgrade Auto feature.

the only blue one i see and don't have is "automatically feed your dragon"

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Len posted:

the only blue one i see and don't have is "automatically feed your dragon"

I’m at my computer now: it’s the achievement for 20 Pink Sigils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Klungar posted:

I’m at my computer now: it’s the achievement for 20 Pink Sigils.

Ffff that's so far away