Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1586025192303869953

Biden makes his final appeal to voters, with a week to go until election day: Fiscal responsibility. Deficit reduction.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its very funny how the dems, staring down their own destruction, were handed the second biggest bag fumble in contemporary american electoral history in the form of the idiot gop actually touching the third rail of abortion, but then immediately committing the first biggest bag fumble in contemporary american electoral history by completely wasting it and once again falling rear end backwards into the woodchipper

as far as i know there still isn't any sort of plan by democrats on the abortion issue and there never was. just the same "vote democrat to protect abortion" they have been doing for the last 50 loving years - it's too late for that! you lost already! so why would anyone pissed about it vote for the dems, who have established they don't care

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

it's gonna be an apartheid minority rule country until all of us are dead.

I mean, will they really go through the apartheid phase for that long when they're already empowering Nazis to go for the same targets in the same order, maybe with Black people right before the Jews this time

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

the bitcoin of weed posted:

as far as i know there still isn't any sort of plan by democrats on the abortion issue and there never was. just the same "vote democrat to protect abortion" they have been doing for the last 50 loving years - it's too late for that! you lost already! so why would anyone pissed about it vote for the dems, who have established they don't care

no they totally care they just need two more. remember how you got your check after they won the two in Georgia? its like that

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1584556593978408964

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't disagree that the dems are in general bloviating fuckups but when the dems get destroyed in a few weeks, it's mainly going to be because of global inflationary pressure,which is not something the democratic party could really effectively fight against, even if they somehow wanted to.

The takeaway was always going to be that the Party needs to move to the center though. Even as Pelosi's husband gets his head stapled beck together the dem leadership will be shrieking about how we need to just find more common ground with our misunderstood and well meaning Republican countrymen.

Hard disagree. Global inflationary pressure could be relieved by not starting up a proxy war with Russia and loving over the global energy markets. Ukraine is an American project and that war only continues based on US funding and US pressure on EU nations to trade their own prosperity for America's foreign policy projects. If the US cut off weapons and funding to Ukraine tomorrow and signaled the EU to do the same there would be a negotiated peace before the end of next week.

The dems could have also fought inflationary pressure through stimulus to the working class to keep up consumer spending paired with higher taxes on wealth and corporate profits to drain excess money accumulation out of the top end of the economy. You could argue that America is politically incapable of doing that and I would believe you, but thats not the same statement as saying nothing could be done even if the will was there.

Economics isn't some implacable force immune to human action like gravity. Its not like a dustbowl, where no amount of human effort is going to coax more grain out of the parched earth. Its a financial crisis caused by neoliberal politics. It could be fixed if they wanted to, they just don't really want to fix it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

but yeah, i like your theory. a lot of these long-time establishment boomers (and silents! jesus!) got used to the "cold war consensus" where they happily gave away all the benefits of the New Deal and Great Society to please the opposing party and their donor base. they want to pretend that when the cameras are off, they clock out like Wile E. Coyote and Sam Sheepdog and grab drinks together. they don't understand that even Marjorie Taylor Greene or Paul Gosar would love to see them dead, much less her social media constituency.

Duh, you're exactly right, it's the myopathy of the collegial mindset. You'd still think a grifter would be more wary of ideologues but if you're too young to remember the 30s and too stupid to understand the 60s and 70s, I guess this is what you get.

Thanks

TenementFunster posted:

trump never driving anywhere because he's rich as poo poo is the most i've ever understood that guy.

Something my wife says comes to mind: "I dislike Trump because I understand him."

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

fast cars loose anus posted:

no they totally care they just need two more. remember how you got your check after they won the two in Georgia? its like that

just two more senators bro

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nix Panicus posted:

Hard disagree. Global inflationary pressure could be relieved by not starting up a proxy war with Russia and loving over the global energy markets. Ukraine is an American project and that war only continues based on US funding and US pressure on EU nations to trade their own prosperity for America's foreign policy projects. If the US cut off weapons and funding to Ukraine tomorrow and signaled the EU to do the same there would be a negotiated peace before the end of next week.

The dems could have also fought inflationary pressure through stimulus to the working class to keep up consumer spending paired with higher taxes on wealth and corporate profits to drain excess money accumulation out of the top end of the economy. You could argue that America is politically incapable of doing that and I would believe you, but thats not the same statement as saying nothing could be done even if the will was there.

Economics isn't some implacable force immune to human action like gravity. Its not like a dustbowl, where no amount of human effort is going to coax more grain out of the parched earth. Its a financial crisis caused by neoliberal politics. It could be fixed if they wanted to, they just don't really want to fix it

You're right that the inflation is baked into the current imperial project. But that's precisely why the dems can't do anything about it.

I have my doubts that an angrier and poorer republican base is able to change anything either other than blame powerless minority groups but I guess we'll see

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nothus posted:

You're right that the inflation is baked into the current imperial project. But that's precisely why the dems can't do anything about it.

I have my doubts that an angrier and poorer republican base is able to change anything either other than blame powerless minority groups but I guess we'll see

I would say the big difference is going to be where corporations and the broader project collide even though it is on their behalf. The coming fight over oil prices is a good example where the GOP is talking about holding up bills until strategic reserves are stabilized and Biden agrees to not pursue an export ban which could very well be pretty influential (this is going to higher energy prices/more inflation).

There is also a coming issue over fiscal stimulus since while GDP is positive there are significant storms on the horizon, particularly with a possible housing crash/corporate debt crisis. The Fed's hands may be tied to an extent they haven't been in the past and the only solution is going to be fiscal stimulus.

Basically, there are some divergent goals here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only goals are "more money for us" and "gently caress you". consequences are for peasants.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only goals are "more money for us" and "gently caress you". consequences are for peasants.

Well and to keep on winning elections to do so, the problem it screws up the larger plans of the administration.

It is a short-term/long-term vision divergence.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

fast cars loose anus posted:

we've been pulling the football away for five decades but we swear we'll let you kick it this time charlie brown

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Foo Diddley posted:

we've been pulling the football away for five decades but we swear we'll let you kick it this time charlie brown

much like remembering things is doxxing, remembering anything from the past politically is actually being a fascist, sorry sweetie

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They were calling sirota a doxxer and harasser for looking up public donation records

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why would young people vote for a party that hates them and tells them to gently caress off and that they will do nothing they support

more and more people are saying this to me, it's really incredible

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ex post facho posted:

yes, and then said this and promptly forgot about it forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxiDZejZFjg

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Mark Kelly's entire platform in AZ appears to be "I love voting for republican poo poo and especially love cops. Anyway here's some disgusting photo ops of me with cops"

its really motivating me to get excited for the dem slaughter

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
loving lol that they got Obama to come out of retirement for this poo poo.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Nothus posted:

loving lol that they got Obama to come out of retirement for this poo poo.

Not a great sign

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

I get where both of you are coming from, the dems could deal with it, but also they absolutely can not deal with it. A hypothetical party that finds itself in exactly the position they find themselves in could - probably fairly easily, I think - tamp down inflationary pressure, deliver meaningful economic relief to its constituents, and drive turnout by getting their voters mobilized and focused on abortion rights.

The democrats, however, can't do this because they're the democrats. They can't take any of this action, and frankly I don't think they even have the organizational apparatus to understand or prepare for what they're facing in any way that matters, much less what's about to happen in a few weeks. They're a fundraising e-mail mill that funnels money into consultant groups. I mean, gently caress, they can't really even do kickbacks or pork barrel poo poo anymore. The furthest they get is individual Democrats giving jobs to their nephews or doing some insider trading. They're already dead and the next however many years is just going to be watching the twitching, shambolic corpse fully rot out.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

its so loving funny how they were caught out on this so utterly. No one's home, no one's behind the wheel. Just a completely leaderless bullshit make-work program for the biggest over-educated losers in American history.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its so loving funny how they were caught out on this so utterly. No one's home, no one's behind the wheel. Just a completely leaderless bullshit make-work program for the biggest over-educated losers in American history.

I still can't get over that after the SC decision there's literally footage of angry protestors shouting "Do something!" at president Biden and him smiling and waving back and saying "Yeah! DO SOMETHING!" Like it was just the hip new slogan that his voters were gonna use in the midterm.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

I still can't get over that after the SC decision there's literally footage of angry protestors shouting "Do something!" at president Biden and him smiling and waving back and saying "Yeah! DO SOMETHING!" Like it was just the hip new slogan that his voters were gonna use in the midterm.

Look Jack, the president doesn't have a magic wand,

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

Look Jack, the president doesn't have a magic wand,

:borked:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
going to be very lol one way or the other
https://twitter.com/RobertCahaly/status/1586504811687862273

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol isnt WA supposed to be a safe blue one

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Tony Evers in Wisconsin has started running ads saying "Gov. Evers really wants to legalize marijuana. Isn't that cool?"

Not even "I will do this" (pretty sure he can't, the Republicans will shoot it down) but just "I'd totally be open to doing this good thing guys, honest!"

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also the 5-second YT ad spots for both parties are just "RADICAL $CANDIDATENAME IS DIVISIVE AND RADICAL. $CANDIDATENAME - TOO RADICAL FOR WISCONSIN."

Gonna be interesting carrying on conversations in a couple years when words literally have no meaning beyond what you ascribe to them in your head.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
EXTREME LIBERAL AGENDA loving UP
RADICAL REPUBLICANS GOING TOO FAR
YOUR lovely STATE CAUGHT IN THE BALANCE

is a go to argument across the board I think

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

They've had both senators be Dems since 2001. The last time one was up for reelection (Cantwell), she won by almost 17%, and was never ahead in polling by less than 13% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_Senate_election_in_Washington#Polling

The last time this specific senator (Murray) was up for reelection, she won by 18%; one skewed poll had her ahead by merely 7%, basically every other one had it minimum 15% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_Senate_election_in_Washington#Polling

There's more but the TL;DR is yes and this is the first time since the Dubya administration's first term it's even polled close :rubby:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

It gets more red east of the Cascades, but yes, being home to a major metropolitan area makes it a solid blue state.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

They've had both senators be Dems since 2001. The last time one was up for reelection (Cantwell), she won by almost 17%, and was never ahead in polling by less than 13% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_Senate_election_in_Washington#Polling

The last time this specific senator (Murray) was up for reelection, she won by 18%; one skewed poll had her ahead by merely 7%, basically every other one had it minimum 15% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_Senate_election_in_Washington#Polling

There's more but the TL;DR is yes and this is the first time since the Dubya administration's first term it's even polled close :rubby:

yeah, murray was one of 4 female senators who were elected during 1992, the Year of the Woman, which was the roe-your-vote of 20 30 years ago after biden hosed up the thomas scotus hearings as chair of the judiciary committee.

feinstein, boxer & moseley braun were the other 3.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Oct 30, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It all comes back to Biden, every time

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

1992 ... 20 years ago

I catch myself doing this from time to time too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

Same but ten

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

lol this must be catastrophic for the shitlibs

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Winifred Madgers posted:

lol... I'll edit.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Chris James 2 posted:

My vote has never counted in Washington before but now leaving the ballot blank for Murray will feel that much sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

super sweet best pal posted:

It gets more red east of the Cascades, but yes, being home to a major metropolitan area makes it a solid blue state.

texas is home to several major metropolitan areas so I wouldn't be so sure