Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That 2.4% surcharge for using a credit card is illegal in Quebec lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Oh also finally finished my Telus $50/30GB port, that was a nightmare from Freedom who managed to lose my phone number from the port had took 6 days to actually switch my number.

Just in time to deal with telus's 1.5% CC fee bullshit, I'll be okay since my CC pays out 2% for recurring bills so technically I can't be as mad at less free CC reward money but that still sucks because Telus still is cheaper than other carrier plans too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne says he will not approve the proposed deal between Rogers Communications Inc. and Shaw Communications Inc., though he left the door open to a revised deal.
Welp

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TD is discontinuing their mobile payment app as of loving Tuesday and they still refuse to support Google Pay. So if you're on a non-Apple non-Samsung (ie. a Pixel) then you will no longer be able to do any mobile payments and you have to have your wallet and physical card. loving hell.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

TD is discontinuing their mobile payment app as of loving Tuesday and they still refuse to support Google Pay. So if you're on a non-Apple non-Samsung (ie. a Pixel) then you will no longer be able to do any mobile payments and you have to have your wallet and physical card. loving hell.

Cell phones were a mistake

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sounds like a TD problem. Maybe you should not use them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Sounds like a TD problem. Maybe you should not use them.

I mean okay thanks for the advice but it's a massive loving chore to switch banks and deal with all that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it though? Thats always everyone's feeling with stuff like that, insurance, phone providers etc but its really not that bad.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I can’t fault any organization, no matter how large and usurious, from not wanting anything to do with Google’s products.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

Is it though? Thats always everyone's feeling with stuff like that, insurance, phone providers etc but its really not that bad.

Uh, yes, it's a huge hassle to switch banks.

So weird to see people defending a big bank like TD but okay.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It's not actually that hard to switch banks, but the sheer laziness of most people and the lack of willingness to vote with your wallet continues to put you in positions that you don't like.

How often do we hear poo poo like "I hate XXXX provider!" then you ask them why don't they switch? "Oh it's too hard, my wifi password is set the way I like it"

Let's assume the worst. You have your investments, chequing account, savings account, you might have 3 or 4 things that are on auto pay from a bank. You have to send your new numbers to your employer for auto deposit.

Oh geez Rick so hard, any other bank will literally give you a once over and move all your investment poo poo for you, same with your savings and chequing. Update your auto pays and use a credit card anyway because who the heck lets companies debit your bank accounts, and you're done.

Be the change you want to see random goon.

Edit: I've changed banks between all of them at some point. TD, RBC, CIBC, Scotia.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Go on, shut us losers up by switching to National or Laurentian out of spite. Want to really show off your chops, switch to Manulife Bank and revel in your prodigious bankswitchability.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I do all my banking thru superstore and then I can deposit my $1000 every 2 week check and buy groceries and get some lotto tickets and smokes and go to the walk in clinic and get my icbc and it's just so darn convenient how will I ever switch?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ69svOtmAM

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
public mobile is running a $40/15gig deal, no expiration

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

Can you post a direct link? I'm only seeing a $40 for 5gb/month deal (4g).
Nevermind, I found it, I think.

mediaphage, you say no expiration; am I crazy to worry they'll jack the price up in the future? It's the main reason I've never moved away from my PM plan (besides the rock bottom price for enough data to stream music every day at work).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 30, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Links or GTFO

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Links or GTFO

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/plan/change-plan

Change it to 4g, then hit the down arrow on the right.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 30, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Mister Facetious posted:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/en/account/plan/change-plan

Change it to 4g, then hit the down arrow on the right.

One thing: will this gently caress with my reward discounts at all mediaphage? Your listed rewards are a third of what mine are right now.

I also want to know about rewards. If it sticks I'll swap to this in a heartbeat.

e: change plan on renewal date is an option thats pretty cool. They didnt offer that last time I checked.... Super suspect theyre gunning for the $120 plan. Can change back if it ends up being scummy before jan 2

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 30, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No i was an idiot and didn't do the math. He has the exact same discounts I do, albeit divided by three because it's a thirty day plan now and not a ninety day one. :downs:

gently caress it, went and pulled the trigger. I can cancel anytime until Dec. 30th anyway. It'll be nice to be able to watch YouTube off wifi now.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 30, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

well i'll take that deal, thank you very very much

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mediaphage posted:

Nice. Gonna switch my family to this instead of bell. Save some dollars.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

My main concern is whether this is a honey pot to finally get people off the famous Fall 2016 plan with no price increase forever.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

^ same

Nitr0 posted:

Nice. Gonna switch my family to this instead of bell. Save some dollars.

Pm me soi can give you my referral code!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why dont I ever follow through with my best ideas

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Shofixti posted:

My main concern is whether this is a honey pot to finally get people off the famous Fall 2016 plan with no price increase forever.

digging around now, because obviously I dont want to lose my golden goose. Have till jan 2nd to change my mind which is nice

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 30, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's only for existing PM customers, or can you port a number over and get this new deal?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

It's only for existing PM customers,

Oh poo poo, maybe it IS a honey pot... :ohdear:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chris Knight posted:

It's only for existing PM customers, or can you port a number over and get this new deal?

Yeah, did I just blow $10 on a SIM to not be able to get the deal?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Taint reaped again!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Yeah, did I just blow $10 on a SIM to not be able to get the deal?

No, but I think it’s only going to last for a year for all of us https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotion#4G

e: there's no mention of it being a twelve-month promotion on the actual public mobile change your plan page, so it might not be the case for current users. there's a hanging footnote 7 but that's also used on the page for notes about cross-Canada calling i think and has no actual footnote attached to it, so idk. maybe they hosed up bad again

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 30, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might just have to eat the cost anyway if the SIM doesn't arrive in time.

quote:

Offer available to new activations online. To redeem this offer online, activate a SIM card between October 22 to November 1, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Oh man. I've been doodling around on a PubMo 4.5GB on 3G speed for 40 bucks and they sent me a text last month saying "You know you can get 4G speed for the same price?" so I told it to switch at the next payment date. Now, before that even kicked in, I've switched to this 12GB one... I honestly have no idea what I would do with all of this data because I'm so trained to restrict cell data and use wifi everywhere :buddy: :canada:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 30, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tagra posted:

Oh man. I've been doodling around on a PubMo 4.5GB on 3G speed for 40 bucks and they sent me a text last month saying "You know you can get 4G speed for the same price?" so I told it to switch at the next payment date. Now, before that even kicked in, I've switched to this 12GB one... I honestly have no idea what I would do with all of this data because I'm so trained to restrict cell data and use wifi everywhere :buddy: :canada:

Speaking from experience, you can stream music eight hours a day five days a week and be between 2-4gb per month. Not sure how much YouTube you could stream at their "480, quality" setting as i don't know the bitrate, but it's probably a nice amount. And i find it to be "good enough" when using a phone screen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Arivia posted:

No, but I think it’s only going to last for a year for all of us https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/promotion#4G

e: there's no mention of it being a twelve-month promotion on the actual public mobile change your plan page, so it might not be the case for current users. there's a hanging footnote 7 but that's also used on the page for notes about cross-Canada calling i think and has no actual footnote attached to it, so idk. maybe they hosed up bad again

there are two plans going on right now

one is a promotion where you get extra data for a year

the other one is this one. if you go into the community forums you'll find a thread on it and a dude is like "congrats you found our limited spooky deal, this is not a limited time discounted $60 plan, this is just a $40/15GB plan"

like on one hand is this a nefarious plot to get people off the plan i've had for like 5-6 years? maybe? but there's nothing stopping them from increasing the price on that or this whenever they want aside from public outrage. there's enough waggle room in the tos to allow them to do whatever they want. there are similar but more annoying plans going around telus right now so i think this is just their pre-black friday stuff to get people comfortable on their carrier

anyway if anyone is signing up for new service, my referral code is 7ZJLYX but it's fine if you don't want to use it, i think we both get something off of it but i don't know what. i don't post here too much i just wanted to share, ha

edit: it's available to new and pre-existing custos

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone dig around in the terms for the new public mobile plan yet?

I know with the first one, the issue is the marketing was very explicit about never increasing the price, and that's why they were locked in...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's presumably no safer than their other pre paid plans without that advertising line that bit them in the rear end. In fact, their $10 plan (50 minutes, 50 texts) was increased to $13.

quote:

Important: Effective April 28 2022, the price of legacy plan $10 for 50 Minutes and 50 Texts will be increased to $13. Please adjust your payments accordingly to reflect the new plan fee of $13.

That being said, the ad copy on the website in the Plans tab still says this:

I doubt it will hold up toa goddamn thing in the price fixing hellscape of the Canadian cartel, since with pre pay you'll be told about the price increase with your next bill, not your current one.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 31, 2022

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

mediaphage posted:

thank you mediaphage

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So unreal to me that there are still people with single digit amounts of data, most of which who still think they're getting a great deal. Talking to a goon irl the other day who I believe said he had 1 or 2gb :psyduck:

I guess on the flipside you cant blame people when it was so bad for so long. But theres no reason to not have lots of data and use it freely these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

codo27 posted:

So unreal to me that there are still people with single digit amounts of data, most of which who still think they're getting a great deal. Talking to a goon irl the other day who I believe said he had 1 or 2gb :psyduck:

I guess on the flipside you cant blame people when it was so bad for so long. But theres no reason to not have lots of data and use it freely these days.

I'm either connected to wi-fi when I want to stream any media. Haven't gotten close to using 6 gigs in years (a Koodo plan that came up in this very thread).