Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I made Locke the dragoon because somehow him jumping you and mugging you felt right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mr. Locke posted:

A good thing to handle the Lunar Subterrane is to remember that most of it is find the endgame loot- not progress. You honestly lose little burning reasonable resources per fight and just casting Exit when out since if you were to take a direct line from the entrance to Zemus it's not even five minutes if you run from every encounter. There's even a save point on the critical path right before the final stretch. Just tackle the dungeon in trips, run from anything that doesn't look worth the XP and MP to fight it and if you're done with the game just look for the way out- Zeromus isn't so rough you can't beat him with what you came in with, especially if that includes the Excalibur (for Cecil) and the Avenger (for Kain)

Yeah this is basically what I'm doing. I looked up enemy weaknesses and they all seem to be elemental. None of the guides mention Slow but I'll try it

I'm currently stuck on the pair of zombie dragons who reflect Bio off themselves. They're too fast to cast Slow before they put up Reflect and if I'm lucky I can dispel one Reflect before Rosa dies. The best I've done so far is remove Reflect from one and kill it but the second one just spams Flame and the item that Slows enemies counts as a magic attack and gets reflected at me lol what a piece of poo poo

So yeah I'm gathering up gear from chests and then leaving to use a Cottage, although the room right next to the Holy Lance has a save spot so I might just use that for a while

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm currently stuck on the pair of zombie dragons who reflect Bio off themselves. They're too fast to cast Slow before they put up Reflect and if I'm lucky I can dispel one Reflect before Rosa dies. The best I've done so far is remove Reflect from one and kill it but the second one just spams Flame and the item that Slows enemies counts as a magic attack and gets reflected at me lol what a piece of poo poo

So yeah I'm gathering up gear from chests and then leaving to use a Cottage, although the room right next to the Holy Lance has a save spot so I might just use that for a while
Unless it's changed in the PR, the Reflect-Bio spam is actually a reaction script to you using "Fight". Don't use Fight and they'll never cast reflect so you can skip all that bullshit - jump, magic, throw, cure spells all work.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MagusofStars posted:

Unless it's changed in the PR, the Reflect-Bio spam is actually a reaction script to you using "Fight". Don't use Fight and they'll never cast reflect so you can skip all that bullshit - jump, magic, throw, cure spells all work.

I'll try that, thanks. None of the guides I looked at mentioned this. They're all the same: "it's really easy just attack and heal"

Like yeah I can do that for speedbump encounters but not the bosses

Also lmao at "artful". It's me, the guy playing a 25 year old RPG and every button press on the controller is akin to a carefully placed brush stroke on a canvas. I make the chef kiss motion with my hands every time I cast Firaga. Summoning Ifrit is just like a magnificent impressionist painting

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah. There's a couple ways to tackle them- letting Rydia use Fire 3 tends to make them tuck pretty quick since IIRC they don't have a counter script for Magic, just Attack and Summon. Alternatively, if you Wall/Reflect up your party and not trigger their counter script, they'll eventually use an ability called Breath that will bounce off and turn them into toads, where you can murder them at leisure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The PR guide state almost universally across all 6 is a train crash of "just fight" because the old ones are sometimes varyingly relevant or assume you are grinding like an idiot 12 year old in 1994 and the new ones are usually cheevo guides which include steps like "now grind for 3 hours to get the 0.1% spawn chance" so if you skip the stupid cheevo steps you're actually still playing the game and not stomping over everything with extra levels. I had a lot better luck just checking boss stats in the wiki if I ever got stuck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OMG this is so painful and I just want it to be over

I got to the final boss and all it does is spam Big Bang faster than I can heal. I'm going to try a few things without looking at guides but this is seriously the least fun I've had since finishing Dragon Quest 2

Oh and every time I die I have to watch all the cutscenes again. Amazing

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I refuse to do anything other than use physical attacks and the weak no-mp heal command and the game is boring and hard? Someone please help

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Procrastine posted:

I refuse to do anything other than use physical attacks and the weak no-mp heal command and the game is boring and hard? Someone please help

I never said that

Anyway, complaining works. I used a slow item on him first thing. Not sure if it actually worked but I was able to jump and attack and Curaja my way through it. Rydia died immediately despite being at full health and Edge hung on long enough to throw all the Fuma Shurikens and a few other weapons at him before he died

Holy poo poo that game was so much fun up until the Giant of Babel and then it was just pure pain all the way to the end. I'm not sure if I'll ever play through it again. I don't remember the endgame being that rough when I played it 25 years ago and the nostalgia aure wasn't worth it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

OMG this is so painful and I just want it to be over

I got to the final boss and all it does is spam Big Bang faster than I can heal. I'm going to try a few things without looking at guides but this is seriously the least fun I've had since finishing Dragon Quest 2

Oh and every time I die I have to watch all the cutscenes again. Amazing

Zeromus is basically a web of scripts. The default is basically cast Spell -> Shake -> Big Bang, occasionally casting Black Hole to remove buffs on the party. His only counter-script is being targeted by Spells, which he'll counter with Flare. It's still worth it to get Slow double-stacked on him, especially if you have a Spider's Silk so you can do it in one go and only trigger one counter because this can GREATLY increase the amount of time between Big Bangs and possibly be useful if you want to get fancy.

Big Bang at full power will do ~2000 damage to all characters. Rydia is unlikely to survive this without a lot of levels and Edge might but probably isn't worth trying to get up for this fight. Frankly, let them die- Cecil and Kain can carry the damage and splitting Cures less will let you help keep the important characters healthier. At this point, berserk Cecil, maybe keep Kain sane just to have someone who can raise Rosa in an emergency, and keep Rosa throwing Cure 4 and if needed chug an Elixer for MP. Assuming all of Cecil, Kain, and Rosa can soak a high-roll Big Bang (2200ish) then this is generally an assured victory once you get those Slows down.

There is a way to nerf Big Bang- after Shaking, if you cast a spell on Zeromus before Big Bang goes off (Slow REALLY helps here) the next Big Bang will be at half power. This will trigger his Flare counter, but can be used if you want to do the fight with a full party. It makes the fight trickier, but potentally faster. The trick to using Rydia in this fight isn't summons- summons are way too slow to add significant damage- but to put Reflect onto someone and use them to bounce Flares onto Zeromus without triggering his counter- Cecil's a good pick because he has a lot of HP so he can usually survive multiple nerfed Big Bangs and you can throw Potion 3s or Elixirs on him when he finally needs a top-off. Remember to directly target Zeromus at least once after the shake though or Rydia's gonna go down and you're gonna be stuck with a Reflected Cecil and no reason to have it. Edge... exists, but he can basically throw your inventory for some effective extra damage to speed up the fight.

Finally, in his last ~12000 HP or so, he'll switch to spamming Meteo instead, which is honestly just a victory lap unless you get some very unlucky hit rolls on Meteo or you trigger his Meteo script while in a terrible spot.

e: Make sure Cecil isn't wearing the Crystal Armor if you want to berserk him- the Crystal gear all bestow immunities to most status effects, including Berserk.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 29, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
did they keep the sweet glitch in PR where you just cast Fire 1 on Zeromus and suddenly he does half damage with Big Bang

the actual glitch is that Big Bang's power is set before it actually happens, and then you can lower it by triggering the Flare/Nuke counterattack with an offensive spell but I wanted it to sound funnier

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

I never said that

Elephant Ambush posted:

I probably should. The auto battle system just makes me so lazy though. Everyone attacks and Rosa Prays and then I just press the auto battle button every fight then heal afterwards

???

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

And then later I said I didn't do that with bosses

Nice try though

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ultima Weapon is just a big Behemoth.

He fuckin' hurts though.

I recognize this music!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

If The Floating Continent has "Final Zone" energy, Ultima Weapon has "Final Boss" or at least "Penultimate Boss" energy. Things are a bit tough but manageable until he Mind Blasts me, and then everything goes wrong. I need move some Espers around and/or get more status protection items or something

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know you've largely been avoiding grinding/optional content but do you have Zona Seeker in your Esper collection? Its entire toolkit is helpful in this fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The final dungeon was always a slog that I skipped most encounters. Getting to the Mind and Body and Mask and other boss tier encounters just wear my drive to continue and I want it over it.

Mr. Locke posted:

e: Make sure Cecil isn't wearing the Crystal Armor if you want to berserk him- the Crystal gear all bestow immunities to most status effects, including Berserk.
I guess that was a bug that got fixed since the PSX version. He never got zerked when I was hunting for Tail and while everyone else was doing their own thing, I figured his class was innately immune to it no matter what I gave him.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 30, 2022

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I went back and got Zona Seeker and it made the fight much easier since I didn't need to heal as often and could focus on offense. What life saver

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

As a kid I would just liberally use the Exit spell from Cecil's spell list to avoid the encounters in the final run up to zeromus (but really, also all encounters on the moon). Cecil isn't doing poo poo with his MP, anyway!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well I accidentally killed Cid with bad fish, which really bummed me out. Fortunately I quick saved immediately upon leaving his hut to hunt for fish so I reloaded and saved him because Cids are great and except for Dr. Cid I don't like it when bad things happen to them

EDIT: I may reload my save before Ultima Weapon, though, just to see what happens if you continue on when he dies

EDIT EDIT: Or just watch it on Youtube, and man it gets a lot sadder (and then happier)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I want to make sure I get Gogo and Umaro. Are they available in the WoR or did I gently caress up by not getting them in WoB? If I did miss them, then RIP, I'll get them when I play FFVI again

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2022

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

You can’t find those two in the WoB.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You can’t find those two in the WoB.

Good to know. I'll make sure I try to get 'em.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FrostyPox posted:

Well I accidentally killed Cid with bad fish, which really bummed me out. Fortunately I quick saved immediately upon leaving his hut to hunt for fish so I reloaded and saved him because Cids are great and except for Dr. Cid I don't like it when bad things happen to them

EDIT: I may reload my save before Ultima Weapon, though, just to see what happens if you continue on when he dies

EDIT EDIT: Or just watch it on Youtube, and man it gets a lot sadder (and then happier)

Even thought you can save Cid, the scenario on the island feels like it's designed around him dying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Even thought you can save Cid, the scenario on the island feels like it's designed around him dying.

Yeah, it's a fun secret but it absolutely flows 500% better if he dies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Saving/killing Cid doesn't really matter. All it changes is him sticking around if you revisit the Solitary Island later (which you should since an Esper washes up on the shores there).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
should i care about hand picking equipment in SoP before endgame? I just beat Tiamat and have been relying solely on auto equip

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CodfishCartographer posted:

should i care about hand picking equipment in SoP before endgame? I just beat Tiamat and have been relying solely on auto equip

The top tier affinity bonuses get really good but outside that and the weapon you want (skills are tied to them) no not really.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

No, it’s strictly a post-game thing. You basically need to change all your gear at the start of every mission anyway.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh man I wanna see Frosty find Gogo without a guide

like Umaro you can figure out but

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, he does Literally Nothing for the rest of the game if he lives. Doesn't even leave the island.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I went back and got Zona Seeker and it made the fight much easier since I didn't need to heal as often and could focus on offense. What life saver

It’s basically an Easter egg but since you beat him iirc he’s one of the bosses that dies with 0 MP, which I think is only ever used for gimmick challenges where you’d really want to circumvent his low HP battle script.

It’s not like something you should be super focused on I found it helpful to do mid-lategame, with the caveat that you should absolutely have auto-dismantle set to purge anything below [insert relevant level here] and 1-3 star rarity so it’s not a miserable slog to sift through relevant rarities, but I was playing on Hard most of the time so it actually made a difference. But it’s actually needed and I’m probably brokebrained regardless.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh man I wanna see Frosty find Gogo without a guide

like Umaro you can figure out but

Gogo just requires imagination

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PneumonicBook posted:

Gogo just requires imagination

Gogo's location is honestly fairly conspicuous if you use bored 12-year-old gamer logic.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there’s an NPC that at least mentions Zone Eater but idk if it’s in the context of “holy wow this monster tried sucking me up” or “holy wow I got sucked into a dungeon when this monster ate me”

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Gogo's location is honestly fairly conspicuous if you use bored 12-year-old gamer logic.

But alas I'm using cranky 36-year-old gamer logic

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, best of luck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
There is more than one hint about Gogo's location but it requires talking to friggin everyone everywhere and putting the clues together

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"THE WORLD IS SQUARE"

that's all i remember

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Is there a good description of what the Ninja's Ninjutsu skills do in Stranger of Paradise? I get the shuriken and elemental attacks, but what about the buffs I have no clue about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
IIrc there is an NPC somewhere in the WoR who all but flat out tells you how to get Gogo, though you do have to recognize what the game is telling you to do.