Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If they didn't put a hand out immediately acknowledging that they hosed up then that would warrant a chit-chat in B-group. Since it's C-group that's way too close for most org's rules on ~6ft passing and probably still requires a chit-chat regardless of acknowledgement.

Now, this is a little victim-blamey, and every rider is fully within their right to use the entire track, but I generally don't use the entire track on straightaways for this exact reason. There's plenty of times a faster rider behind has made the decision to pass and I don't want to put myself in their way. Again it would be entirely that other person's fault if an incident happened but it could help prevent it from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh I mistook the hand signal as him saying I did something wrong, that makes more sense. I was looking at the video afterward and trying to figure out why he was getting on me but if that's not the case I feel better.

I've been working on using more of the track lately, as someone who did a lot of street riding for the first years of motorcycling, I found myself not doing that well. On straights with my bike's top speed though, sections like that I can just hold the line I had once I finished the exit, good idea.

Other than that and a dumb mechanical issue that cut it short and was totally my fault, drama free day, except the guy later on in B group who managed to somehow crash in the pit exit out to the track and slide down almost the entire length of the pit lane.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 11, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah he's definitely throwing his hand up to say sorry. I think he just misjudged your speed. Your look riding looks predictable, at least based on the video. No passing in the corners is stupid and just ensures stuff like this to happen. Anyone faster could have easily hung out it around the outside through that corner.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh I mistook the hand signal as him saying I did something wrong, that makes more sense.

A leg out or arm out after a dodgy pass is the universal sign for "sorry dawg that was messed up of me and I want you to know that I know that". It is extremely lovely/rare that someone would make a sign of 'what the gently caress' at you and it would be unmistakable (Like they full on turn around and look at you with a finger pinching motion)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah he's definitely throwing his hand up to say sorry. I think he just misjudged your speed. Your look riding looks predictable, at least based on the video. No passing in the corners is stupid and just ensures stuff like this to happen. Anyone faster could have easily hung out it around the outside through that corner.

I've always thought no passing on the corners is a combination of insufficient vetting/supervision and legal paranoia that just ends up making it harder for people to learn. You end up with people who can ride reasonably fast but have no idea how to execute a pass and they end up colliding midcorner.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

GriszledMelkaba posted:

It is extremely lovely/rare that someone would make a sign of 'what the gently caress' at you and it would be unmistakable (Like they full on turn around and look at you with a finger pinching motion)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

*Skids into the wall*

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah I thought it was a "back off". Story of my awkward nerd life, having to have someone explain social cues to me on the internet :v:

Slavvy posted:

I've always thought no passing on the corners is a combination of insufficient vetting/supervision and legal paranoia that just ends up making it harder for people to learn. You end up with people who can ride reasonably fast but have no idea how to execute a pass and they end up colliding midcorner.
I don't know how strictly it was enforced as I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen in C in the past. Group sizes were small enough and spaced well enough this time it didn't seem to be an issue from what I saw.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Crushing other riders' heads should be outlawed on the track.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Strife posted:

Crushing other riders' heads should be outlawed on the track.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wasn't it Edwards that ran over Simoncelli's big beautiful 'fro?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

All motorcycle seats should have a key /quick release mechanism, god drat do I hate digging out a wrench to take out two bolts every single time I want to take the seat off the vanvan. What if I wanted to put my weed in there or something?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

All motorcycle seats should have a key /quick release mechanism, god drat do I hate digging out a wrench to take out two bolts every single time I want to take the seat off the vanvan. What if I wanted to put my weed in there or something?

I think yours is the first I've ever heard of that doesn't.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yeah I wasn't sure how rare it was, the other two bikes I had were keyed. It's got me pondering hacks to make it quick-release.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The CBR600RR needs an allen key to remove two hex heads also, it's annoying. They stick them under the padding on the rear of the seat you have to pry back to access.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The CBR600RR needs an allen key to remove two hex heads also, it's annoying. They stick them under the padding on the rear of the seat you have to pry back to access.

Yeah I guess if there's quite a few R's in the name they're not going to make it convenient because there's no R's in convenient.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Remy Marathe posted:

That's a feature I really like on my old Vstrom. Key is all you need,

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Remy Marathe posted:

Gen 1 SV650 key only gets you under the pillion. You need an allen key, a socket, and a pick to punch out two plastic trim tabs to get under the rider seat, where the battery is of course. It's stupid. :suzuki:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Same on my cbr300r. Key gets you under the pillion where there's a smidge of room next to the factory tool pouch. You need the Allen key inside the pouch to get under the seat where the battery lives. There's no room there for storage to speak of though so I don't see it as a problem. Under the pillion I keep a disc brake lock, a visor cleaning kit and some earplugs and then its full.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
2+ bolts seems common for dual sports

hard agree on keying being better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fat Bob: one screw holds down the seat.
LiveWire: one lock holds down the seat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Actually on all Harleys a Fat Bob holds down the seat.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

moxieman posted:

Gen 1 SV650 key only gets you under the pillion. You need an allen key, a socket, and a pick to punch out two plastic trim tabs to get under the rider seat, where the battery is of course. It's stupid. :suzuki:

This is very common for bikes with a separate pillion seat. The only time you don’t have that is on bikes with a single seat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

:tviv:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is very common for bikes with a separate pillion seat. The only time you don’t have that is on bikes with a single seat

I was pleasantly surprised to see this is not the case on my new Duke 390. Rear seat comes off with key, main seat lifts right off once the rear seat is removed.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Easy access for the imminent electrical fire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

:lol:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I need an Allen to get the side panels off so that I can get to the 8mm hex bolts to get the seat off :(

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The Ninja 400 has a little pull cable release under the pillion that lets you remove the main seat, it's nice. Unlock the pillion with the key, pull the cable and lift the main seat off.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Ninja 400 has a little pull cable release under the pillion that lets you remove the main seat, it's nice. Unlock the pillion with the key, pull the cable and lift the main seat off.

Yeah this is such a sensible arrangement and it makes me mad that every bike with separate rider/pillion seats doesn’t do it this way.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

:perfect:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
On a Monster 696, you need to remove 13 screws, three fairings, and lift off the gas tank in order to get to the battery. Take a wild guess how I discovered this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
God bless my Bandit and Fake Bandit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honda #1: pull slider, push lever, seat swings up

Honda #2: turn key, pull catch, seat lifts off

The idea that you might have to unscrew something to remove the seat baffles my mind

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

opengl posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see this is not the case on my new Duke 390. Rear seat comes off with key, main seat lifts right off once the rear seat is removed.

same :mrgw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T Zero posted:

On a Monster 696, you need to remove 13 screws, three fairings, and lift off the gas tank in order to get to the battery. Take a wild guess how I discovered this.

That's what too much passione does

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

T Zero posted:

Similar for the CB300R. 15 screws or something like that and you have to loosen the tank and remove both seats plus take off the battery cover.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm honestly surprised at all that work; my old GSXR had the battery right under the seat, it was a two Allen screw job.

Changing the oil wasn't even that bad once you figure out which plastic rivets to take out in which order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sagebrush posted:

Honda #1: pull slider, push lever, seat swings up

Honda #2: turn key, pull catch, seat lifts off

The idea that you might have to unscrew something to remove the seat baffles my mind

Fireblade: pillion unlocks, front seat is 2x bolts

Scrambler: one-piece seat unlocks and lifts off.