Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

butt dickus posted:

this one is basic grammar, it's the time of year when you are saving daylight for the later hours

The -ings form is uncommon in English but it's far from unheard of. And in particular, "daylight savings time" sounds to most people just as correct as "savings account" -- the time setting is for your savings of daylight, just as the bank account is for your savings of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cum Bouillabaisse
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Most people don't think of daylight saving time as something with an actual practical effect either positive or negative, they think of it as an annoyance that makes them lose an hour of sleep and have to change their clocks around. Because of that they speak of it as a proper noun, rather than a descriptive title, leading to a grammatically incorrect way of phrasing it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Where can I go to plug in my zip code and get a map of how the people in my area voted?

I'm kind of curious to see how my area has voted in the past few election cycles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bioshuffle posted:

Where can I go to plug in my zip code and get a map of how the people in my area voted?

I'm kind of curious to see how my area has voted in the past few election cycles.

This is going to depend on what county and state you live in. Some counties have very robust systems. Google your local supervisor of elections or whatever the local version is called and poke around on their website.

My county, for example, has a pretty robust system. Here are the first three (in alphabetical order) early voting locations and their breakdown by party. Here's the first three in alphabetical order, for example:

Here's the full county breakdown by party so far:

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Cum Bouillabaisse posted:

Most people don't think of daylight saving time as something with an actual practical effect either positive or negative, they think of it as an annoyance that makes them lose an hour of sleep and have to change their clocks around. Because of that they speak of it as a proper noun, rather than a descriptive title, leading to a grammatically incorrect way of phrasing it.

More to the point, I don't think people currently see the word "saving" as meaning the opposite of the word "wasting", so "saving" just becomes a meaningless part of the phrase (as you suggest) and adding the "s" sound makes the phrase easier to say.

Once you fix this mistake OP, you can work on people mixing up "tax return" and "tax refund".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

Look it up by voting precinct, not zip code. Stop doing demography with zip codes!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

alnilam posted:

Look it up by voting precinct, not zip code. Stop doing demography with zip codes!

I wanted to respond with a photshop of one of those Mr ZIP labels that says "Your package arrived to the USPS damaged" except to strikeout package with "democracy" because I am a very clever political cartoonist. However, I can't find a picture of that label on the internet somehow??

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

Are there present Canadian servicemen with combat experience?

Yeah just check the list on Wikipedia. Canada is a member of NATO and maintains combat divisions. Off the top of my head my friends have recently gone to Afghanistan, Iraq, and Congo. I served with combat veterans of Bosnia, Cyprus, Kosovo, even my old father-in-law did an airborne tour in Somalia. One of my sergeant-majors was in Rwanda. I overheard an Aussie infantry officer and Canadian warrant reminiscing about East Timor too, which is thoroughly cursed but vOv.

I served in the 2000s for context.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a thread that I read about goons using metal detectors?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have an Instagram account but I only use the messenger part. Is there a way that I can make it so I don't have to use the main Instagram app on my phone to send messages?

Seems like I can convert my account to a business one and use the Meta Business Suite app but that would mean I would have to make my account public instead of private.

There used be an official Instagram app called "Threads" that was just for messaging but they deleted it a while ago.

Any other suggestions?

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

Nvm found it

Crackwhore Barrel fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 29, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Is there an "old stuff that's still really good" thread anywhere? For stuff that came out before your time, or stuff that's now actually decade or two or three or four old but still excellent?

e: conversely, I'm curious about what folks born after (say) 2000 are into, and if it's any good.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 29, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Is there an "old stuff that's still really good" thread anywhere? For stuff that came out before your time, or stuff that's now actually decade or two or three or four old but still excellent?

e: conversely, I'm curious about what folks born after (say) 2000 are into, and if it's any good.

Tech Relics and Obsolete and Failed Technology often go there, though they’re heavy on electronics and not always good electronics.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, whoops! I actually meant music, but managed to not actually say that anywhere in my post...

I've been getting into music that came out before I was born, and also stuff today came out while I was growing up but didn't really have access to at the time. Some of it is nothing more than a product of its time and really dated, and some of it I really like

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, whoops! I actually meant music, but managed to not actually say that anywhere in my post...

I've been getting into music that came out before I was born, and also stuff today came out while I was growing up but didn't really have access to at the time. Some of it is nothing more than a product of its time and really dated, and some of it I really like

There's the Recommendation Megathread in NMD, although you might want to provide a few examples of what you like so far/what qualifies as "before you were born" so that people can narrow down some options for you :v:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hm.

Well, I thought it might be fun if there's a thread for, generally, people to post "this stuff is really old for me but I really loving like it", in the same vein as the stuff you can't believe you've just figured out thread. Lots of good potential for "I can't believe you haven't heard of XYZ lol" and "holy poo poo UVW from ten years ago is amazing", so I figured it already exists somewhere

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You also have the ability to start a thread as well :)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

A while ago I was in the ER with anemia. I got an iron (not blood) transfusion and the needle for the IV felt massive, like a goddamn drinking straw pushed in my arm.
What gauge of needle would that have been?
And is that the same gauge of needle used for blood donations? i've never donated before and i'm interested but 10 whole minutes of that stupid needle sounds like hell

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I feel like I get more static shocks than most people, in very specific situations, and I can't figure out why.

The supermarket I go to is the main place I get shocked, but that's mostly because I go there a few times per week. There's other places it happens too.

It happens when I've got specific shoes on, so I know to avoid wearing those to go grocery shopping. Basically, all shoes with thick rubber soles are out. And kind of lug pattern more than a centimeter deep is too much, but with some shoes even completely flat soles aren't enough to mitigate the problem.

I mainly get shocks from the freezer door handles, and the self checkout touchscreen. It was the same when I lived in another city and went to another supermarket. It's not that these devices are ungrounded, since I get shocks from the shopping carts as well. I loving hate this. It's not so much that it hurts, but the fact that my hand just jerks back automatically and I have no control over it.

I have reason to believe this problem is at least somewhat unique to me. I never see other people touching the door handle with the backs of their hands first like I do, and I never see anyone else recoil from the touch screens either. I'm not willing to believe that the general public in my supermarket are all hyper conscious about what shoes they need to wear to avoid shocks. If these shocks were a common problem, the freezer metal door handles would be replaced with rubber ones.

So what's causing this to be a bigger problem for me than for other people?

I don't wear wool or synthetic clothing very often and usually wear cotton everything. If the floor type or humidity in the store would be a big issue others would be affected too. It's not seasonal, I get this at all times if the year. I'm fairly sure I don't drag my feet. I take relatively big steps. The only moment where I could see there being more friction and contact would be on the toes of my back foot as I push off to swing it forward.

Googling this question leads to absolutely nothing because there are now millions of low effort "it's winter, more static shocks" and "stop wearing wool" blog posts that crowd out possible real answers and Google sucks now.

Is it even possible that I'm just worse at giving off charge normally, leading to more sudden static shocks? Am I going to have to be careful in what shoes I wear for the rest of my life?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Have you tried picking up your feet as you walk instead of shuffling with constant contact to the floor? I noticed I get more static shocks at costco until I tried breaking contact with the floor more while walking. I think that prevents electrical build up, but I'm no electromancer.

Something about the floor coating there makes static shocks more likely. It's odd. I don't know what it's coated with, but it looks like cement with some sort of semi clear, satin plastic layer. Good for cleaning up spills, luckily.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm gonna be on a long haul flight in a few days' time. I'm travelling with my partner - are there any useful planesleeping techniques unlocked by being able to snuggle up to the person next to you?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EricBauman posted:

I feel like I get more static shocks than most people, in very specific situations, and I can't figure out why.

The supermarket I go to is the main place I get shocked, but that's mostly because I go there a few times per week. There's other places it happens too.

Do the shopping carts have mostly plastic construction, or at least plastic wheels? My mom got so fed up with getting shocks after her grocery store got new plastic carts which seem to soak up static charge that she finally started carrying a thin little wire that she could twist onto the cart and leave one end dragging along the floor. Solved the problem for her completely.

But you said this happens in more places. You could always do the wire-to-the-ground trick with your body instead, with a grounding strap like they have for people who work in fireworks factories: essentially just a wire from the skin of your calf (held by something like an elastic band) that also contacts the floor, either attached to the bottom of your shoe or just dangling/dragging. That should prevent static shocks entirely, since you'll be grounding yourself with every step, but it might be too much bother for the actual size of the problem.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm gonna be on a long haul flight in a few days' time. I'm travelling with my partner - are there any useful planesleeping techniques unlocked by being able to snuggle up to the person next to you?

If you can lift the armrest and you have a window seat, the window seat partner can lean against the wall and the other can lean on the first. I find this decently comfortable.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Organza Quiz posted:

I find neck pillows to be pretty useful for getting comfortable on a plane, but make sure it fits inside your carry on.

If you are down with it, and you are not going to be driving yourselves, taking an edible or half of one is pretty good for some extra relaxation/sleepy time. Take it before you enter the airport and by the time you are on the plane, you should be pretty relaxed.

If you don't care about how you look in public (and nobody actually cares) come to the airport in PJs and wear crocs/slippers if the weather allows. Might as well be as comfy as possible, and it's easier to slip those on/off at TSA.

I can't sleep with headphones/earbuds on, but they might work OK for you.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

EricBauman posted:

I have to deal with static shocks at work and I feel like I have the same issue. I dgaf about synthetics but I do have long hair and wear thick soled boots. The things that helped me were: Touch metallic things often to reduce shock intensity, wear a grounding strap made for boots (they're like $15ish but flimsy), try to touch said metal things with a broader part of your hand.

It really sucks and I kept a pair of flimsy shoes at work just to avoid it. There's a lot of factors that affect staticyness but outside of just grounding yourself constantly there's not much you can do.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm.

Well, I thought it might be fun if there's a thread for, generally, people to post "this stuff is really old for me but I really loving like it", in the same vein as the stuff you can't believe you've just figured out thread. Lots of good potential for "I can't believe you haven't heard of XYZ lol" and "holy poo poo UVW from ten years ago is amazing", so I figured it already exists somewhere

The reason that thread might not exist is because it's extremely weird to be like "wow music from the 1960s can be good?"

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's not their fault, I work with a lot of Gen Z and "Lol nobody cares about XYZ that was before I was even born" is extremely Zoomer mindset.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Human Tornada posted:

It's not their fault, I work with a lot of Gen Z and "Lol nobody cares about XYZ that was before I was even born" is extremely Zoomer mindset.

I heard this from a gen-z teenager in 2016 re: women's rights. Those were sorted out way before they were born and could never go back.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Jyrraeth posted:

I have to deal with static shocks at work and I feel like I have the same issue. I dgaf about synthetics but I do have long hair and wear thick soled boots. The things that helped me were: Touch metallic things often to reduce shock intensity, wear a grounding strap made for boots (they're like $15ish but flimsy), try to touch said metal things with a broader part of your hand.

It really sucks and I kept a pair of flimsy shoes at work just to avoid it. There's a lot of factors that affect staticyness but outside of just grounding yourself constantly there's not much you can do.

Thanks for at least telling me it's not my crazy rear end making me think I'm special. I think I'm just going to stick with wearing my special grocery boots rather than messing with grounding straps

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lately I've been sleeping in such a way that my left hand fingers go numb. I find it really comfortable to sleep this way, but I keep wondering: is there actually any risk of long-term problems for my fingers to be numb all night every night?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

Lately I've been sleeping in such a way that my left hand fingers go numb. I find it really comfortable to sleep this way, but I keep wondering: is there actually any risk of long-term problems for my fingers to be numb all night every night?

yes, this can cause a nerve injury in your arm due to the compression, the numbness is a warning sign

nerve damage in the arm is such a frequent occurrence, it has common names for different causes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_neuropathy

quote:

There are a number of terms used to describe radial nerve injuries, which are dependent on the causation factor such as:
  • Honeymoon palsy from another individual sleeping on and compressing one's arm overnight.
  • Saturday night palsy from falling asleep with one's arm hanging over the arm rest of a chair, compressing the radial nerve.
  • Squash palsy, from traction forces associated with the sport squash, happens to squash players during periods between matches.

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 30, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I have an assembled 31.5" by 47.5" jigsaw puzzle that I would like to, uh, make more permanent. My layman's understanding is that this generally involves epoxying the puzzle, then epoxying that piece to a backing before framing the whole thing.. Would anyone have a more detailed rundown of the process (or a link there), as well as what materials would be needed? Suggestions about some approaches vs others, brands of glue, etc?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Idk, never done anything like it, but flipping it face down between two stiff pieces of cardboard and then covering the back with overlapping double sided tape, then attaching it to a backing seems like it should work conceptually without the hassle of epoxy.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I have an assembled 31.5" by 47.5" jigsaw puzzle that I would like to, uh, make more permanent. My layman's understanding is that this generally involves epoxying the puzzle, then epoxying that piece to a backing before framing the whole thing.. Would anyone have a more detailed rundown of the process (or a link there), as well as what materials would be needed? Suggestions about some approaches vs others, brands of glue, etc?

you could use epoxy, but it's way more strength than you need for a puzzle

they even make glue specifically for gluing puzzles, although you don't need to get that specialized as pretty much any adhesive that dries clear will work

all you do is put the puzzle on some backer board and spread the glue evenly over the puzzle, making sure to get it into all of the little cracks and crevices between the pieces, the idea being that the glue will make one continuous coat

check these videos out for a better idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVbKrnDy2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnyQgnciAWs

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Goon Boots posted:

yes, this can cause a nerve injury in your arm due to the compression, the numbness is a warning sign

nerve damage in the arm is such a frequent occurrence, it has common names for different causes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_neuropathy

Oh crap!

I'd heard of Saturday Night Palsy before, but I thought I remembered reading that it was harmless/temporary. But I wasn't sure.

drat. Thanks!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd heard of Saturday Night Palsy before,

Most have only heard of the associated fever

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh crap!

I'd heard of Saturday Night Palsy before, but I thought I remembered reading that it was harmless/temporary. But I wasn't sure.

drat. Thanks!

you're right that it is often temporary, but temporary could mean weeks or months of recovery time depending on the kind of damage

if you want to keep sleeping that way, you could try putting a firm pillow between your arm and body to help distribute your bodyweight more evenly, but better to play it safe and protect your nerves imo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Most have only heard of the associated fever

Most people know it from the cult classic song "Saturday Night Palsy" by the band TISM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=codvECMtFrs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Try it on some bad thrift store puzzle before you commit on the one you want to preserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Most people know it from the cult classic song "Saturday Night Palsy" by the band TISM.

this is indeed why i know about it, lol

i was gonna post the one live performance, but the embed is blocked from third party sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4janHITY8

quote:

Just saw the behind the scenes story for this clip.
They did play live but it was at rehearsal and then they were told they had to mime it for the live show, which pissed them off so after rehearsal they decided to get the extra 21 people and they already had extra costumes ready from doing a bunch of fake TISM gigs at the time. They rang everyone up to get there real quick and ambushed the show for the live part with all the extra people to have them do the fake stuff. Apparently all the extras only had an hours notice to get there.
That is the official story anyway. Oh and the show was apparently really pissed off at them for changing everything from the reversal and banned them from the show.