Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/IntellecFront/status/1584658748068728832?s=20&t=eLBYun5j1UfBA9OeP8OTBQ
https://twitter.com/IntellecFront/status/1584666765971582976?s=20&t=eLBYun5j1UfBA9OeP8OTBQ

Raids and skirmishes are basically happening everyday now in the West Bank, but this seems like an escalation. Seems like the PA forces there are fighting the Israelis right now too.

Edit: a few hours later and 5 IDF dead has yet to be confirmed

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

All these raids and Israeli escalations happen right in time for an election, wow.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Israelis lost 13 soldiers killed during Operation Cast Lead and Gaza was a fortress, so 5 dead just from Nablus so far is a lot.

Seatbelts posted:

Not to mention if the thing was round instead of a line it would be vastly more efficient and less of an ecological disaster.

But it's a line.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

guidoanselmi posted:

it’d be a lot harder to control the movement of people which is the purpose of a line.

They also want to kill a lot of birds :inshallah:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/10/14/tigray-faces-a-new-onslaught-by-eritrean-ethiopian-forces/

uh

’’ posted:

Abiy was confident that by the date of the talks, the Tigrayan leaders would be dead, hiding in caves — or he could take them in handcuffs to accept their surrender.

The Eritrean and Ethiopian armies didn’t meet the deadline, but they haven’t stopped trying. New attacks were launched on three fronts on October 14.

The carnage is said to be obscene. The Ethiopian conscripts’ job is to attack and die in large enough numbers to use up their enemies’ bullets, after which Eritrean armor can charge through to capture the towns. Two weeks ago, the best estimate was that the Ethiopian army had suffered over 90,000 casualties in a month. With rudimentary medical facilities, many of the wounded will die.

The Tigray Defense Forces losses are also horrifyingly high. The Tigrayans have every motive to fight to the death; they expect that if they yield, the occupiers will repeat the mass atrocities — killing, torture, rape, pillage — that they inflicted when they controlled Tigray in late 2020 and early 2021.

:eyepop:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

The Ethiopian conscripts’ job is to attack and die in large enough numbers to use up their enemies’ bullets, after which Eritrean armor can charge through to capture the towns.

lol sure

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

yeah the quality of the news coming out of there isn’t the best here is a guardian article that seems like a remix of that one:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/23/the-guardian-view-on-the-worlds-forgotten-conflict-ethiopias-devastating-war

quote:

The UN secretary general, António Guterres, has warned that the situation is spiralling out of control and there is no military solution. Yet Mr Abiy and his allies still appear bent on one. Their current offensive is infantry-heavy, with poorly trained and equipped troops flung towards enemy lines, in addition to airstrikes. Eritrea has intensified mobilisation, reportedly detaining parents whose adult children try to avoid conscription. Despite significant setbacks, many Tigrayans have come to see this as a fight for their very survival; giving up may look as dangerous as persisting. The International Crisis Group has warned of a serious risk of accelerating atrocities, especially given the surge in hate speech against Tigrayans. There are also concerns that the war could spill over given the poor relations and long-running border dispute between the federal government and Sudan.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Abiy really putting that Peace Prize to work on this one!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

seems like tigrayan propaganda.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1584575250678747136?cxt=HHwWgMCoifGyxf0rAAAA

It’s lights out for the TPLF

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PawParole posted:

seems like tigrayan propaganda.
yeah

quote:

Staff
Kelley Beaucar Vlahos is Editorial Director of Responsible Statecraft and Senior Advisor at the Quincy Institute. Previously, she served as Executive Editor of the The American Conservative magazine, where she had been reporting and publishing regular articles on national security, civil liberties, foreign policy, veterans, and Washington politics since 2007. From 2013 to 2017, Vlahos served as director of social media and online editor at WTOP News in Washington, D.C.. She also spent 15 years as an online political reporter for Fox News at the channel’s Washington D.C. bureau, as well as Washington correspondent for Homeland Security Today magazine.

quote:

It’s lights out for the TPLF

things don't look good, but previous times this happened in the last two years they fled to the hills, regrouped and performed lightning-quick advances that crushed the national military. i wonder if this time it's different since the ENDF is so close to the tigrayan capital

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Oct 25, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Kelly Vlahos probably doesn't care about Ethiopia at all.

The author of that piece is Alex de Waal, who has very strong opinions about the conflict.

quote:

Nearly 30,000 people have signed a petition calling on Tufts to remove Alex de Waal from his position as director of The Fletcher School’s World Peace Foundation, alleging that his comments on the crisis in Northern Ethiopia “directly [promote] human right violation and atrocities” and violate international law. De Waal says the comments originate from Ethiopian war propagandists. Executive Director of Media Relations Patrick Collins confirmed that the university does not intend to remove de Waal.

The Tigray War, which is in its second year, has produced starvation, sexual violence and massacres in northern Ethiopia. Both sides have reportedly committed atrocities, with American Secretary of State Anthony Blinken accusing the Ethiopian and Eritrean forces of “ethnic cleansing” in Tigray. The Tigray People’s Liberation Front continues to fight against the central Ethiopian and Eritrean governments after the states’ armed forces launched an operation in November 2020 to overrun the Tigray region.

De Waal, who has researched the region since the 1980s, has called the violence against the Tigrayan people a genocide orchestrated by the federal government. De Waal stated that the accusations made against him in the petition are a result of the Ethiopian government’s war propaganda machine, which has included an “international social media campaign.”

“If you look at those who perpetrate mass atrocity, crimes against humanity, genocide, they have a propaganda public information machine to target those who they don’t like,” de Waal said of the calls for his removal.

“Tufts University is committed to the principle of academic freedom and the exploration of ideas and varied opinions and experiences, even on controversial topics. We support Professor de Waal’s right to express his views,” Collins wrote in an email to the Daily.

The humanitarian crisis has likely taken upwards of 500,000 lives, according to research out of Belgium’s Ghent University. De Waal says the Ethiopian and Eritrean coalition is guilty of starting a starvation siege against the Tigrayans, who are an ethnic minority.

“I think the violence that we will see against the Tigrayans will be genocidal,” de Waal said. “I’ve been very hesitant to use that word.”

He says that Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki is perpetuating the war to destabilize Ethiopia and that Eritrea is in direct control of about half of the Ethiopian army, and called the country “a vassal of Eritrea.”

“This is as bad as Rwanda. And then the repercussions of that are, the whole of Ethiopia will be destabilized [and] the state actually will collapse,” de Waal told the Daily. “It basically has collapsed already … and a state of 100 million people collapsing, we haven’t seen that.”

Similar comments by de Waal about Ethiopia’s collapse from a November 2021 interview have sparked an online campaign calling on Tufts to remove de Waal from his positions as a professor at The Fletcher School, as well as from his role as the executive director of the World Peace Foundation.
https://tuftsdaily.com/news/2022/10/24/fletcher-world-peace-foundation-director-responds-to-online-backlash-over-ethiopia-comments/

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Kelly Vlahos probably doesn't care about Ethiopia at all.

The author of that piece is Alex de Waal, who has very strong opinions about the conflict.

https://tuftsdaily.com/news/2022/10/24/fletcher-world-peace-foundation-director-responds-to-online-backlash-over-ethiopia-comments/

Knew I was justified not reading it. Dude is a TPLF mouthpiece and an Anuak genocide denialist. Human piece of trash.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the de Waal family loves arguing about genocide

quote:

It is in this spirit of accountability that we, a group of academics and practitioners, initially contacted the influential think tank Carnegie Europe after the publication of a problematic article by Thomas de Waal on 30 April 2021 entitled “What Next After the US Recognition of the Armenian Genocide?”

On 18 May 2021, some of the signatories of this letter sent a protest letter requesting a retraction or a published response from our group of signatories to Thomas de Waal’s article. While de Waal’s article had already been corrected by Carnegie Europe three times for its inaccuracies, we pointed out that it still contained falsehoods and a minimization of the intentional, centrally planned, and organized genocide of Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks. We affirmed that these inaccuracies and minimizations have, in essence, contributed to denial of the Armenian Genocide, and could be used to do so in the future.

This is not an abstract intellectual debate. Think tanks that cannot admit mistakes perpetuate the oppression of the very people who are the subjects of their articles. Currently, Azerbaijan is engaging in ethnic cleansing, the destruction of millennia-old monuments, a gradual invasion of Armenia, and the torture and execution of illegally held POWs. At a time when denialists, propagandists, and governments are waging a literal war, think tank pundits who gloss over and distort facts are complicit in the enactment of real violence.
https://www.agos.com.tr/en/article/25781/carnegie-europe-and-thomas-de-waal-under-critique

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i say swears online posted:

yeah

things don't look good, but previous times this happened in the last two years they fled to the hills, regrouped and performed lightning-quick advances that crushed the national military. i wonder if this time it's different since the ENDF is so close to the tigrayan capital

I wonder if any of the weapons sent to Ukraine have found their way over

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

looking at those google maps is kinda weird because it’s suggesting I find restaurants and gas stations while looking at a war zone.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[temporarily closed due to ethnonationalist violence]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The ENDF is showing some more competency this time around, in particular, they are moving from the West and coordinating with Eritrea to conquer most of the highlands before moving on Mekelle itself. The battle isn't decided but the strategy this time around seems to be more about slowly taking territory and squeezing the TLPF into a tighter and tighter position than a single all in rush. Another advantage as well is that the ENDF has been able to fortify its position in Western Tigray and cut off supplies coming in from Sudan.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yea if they ever get it to the point where lots of people move in that place is going to end up like the Kowloon walled city on steroids

guidoanselmi posted:

it’d be a lot harder to control the movement of people which is the purpose of a line.

oh my god I didn't realize it until just now but they're building a Snowpiercer lol the mirrored kill zone on both sides of this thing makes perfect sense now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1584918168954363906

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
https://twitter.com/CampbellMacD/status/1585289890773798913

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Is there a primer or good post someone has made up for the Ethiopian conflict? I have not followed the region for a couple years and I'd like to get a better grasp on it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

Is there a primer or good post someone has made up for the Ethiopian conflict? I have not followed the region for a couple years and I'd like to get a better grasp on it.

check out the wiki as well as paw parole's posts itt and in the d&d thread

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

this is going to have a lot of parentheses and explanations of explanations. It's the Horn so the politics are extremely complicated

the Ethiopian junta (mainly made up of ethnic Tigray) which had held power over Ethiopia since they ousted the DERG in 1990, was overthrown in a popular movement that started off after they tried annexing land to expand Addis Ababa (capital of Ethiopia) and they first tried to assuage the protestors (who were mostly Oromo farmers from the region surrounding Addis Ababa (the Oromo name is FinFinne, and Addis is claimed by the Oromia Region) by making a half Oromo Half Amhara prime minister.

he wasn't the puppet they thought he would be, and really hated tigrayians from how they treated him in the Badme war (war against the Eritreans (who are closely related to Tigrays but really dislike each other), so he allied with the dictator/president for life of Eritrea, signed a peace deal that had a secret clause that included an alliance against Tigray, got the Nobel prize for the peace deal, then he tried to replace the leaders of the Northern Command (note that 90 percent of all officers were Tigray, Abiy was one of the only non-Tigray officers they could find) w/ non-tigray, but the Northern Command refused, Abiy took that as a declaration of rebellion, and a year on, here we are.

Ethnic Map of Ethiopia

Map of the War in Tigray

really queer Christmas posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for the quick explanation. I'll try and read a bit more on it.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Rita_Katz/status/1585352001608552448

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/feyiso_kedir/status/1585383231154982912

around 80 civilians killed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Concern is rising over the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Uganda that is now swiftly spreading in the densely populated capital city of Kampala. The outbreak is caused by a lesser-seen species of Ebolavirus, the Sudan virus, for which there is no proven vaccine or treatment.

Uganda's Ministry of Health declared an outbreak on September 20, a day after a 24-year-old man from a rural area in central Uganda died of the disease. Since then, the virus has spread to seven districts in the country, with the ministry reporting a total of 109 confirmed cases and 30 deaths. Health workers accounted for 15 of the confirmed cases and six of the confirmed deaths. There are also unofficial reports of probable cases and deaths.

Health experts are particularly concerned about the spread into Kampala, which government officials reported only Sunday. As of Wednesday, the city of more than 1.6 million has seen at least 15 confirmed cases. Of the 15 cases, six are school-aged children from the same family.

According to Uganda Health Minister Jane Ruth Aceng, the children, another family member, and neighbors contracted the virus from an infected man who traveled into Kampala from an affected district to seek medical care. The six children reportedly attend three different schools in the city, and officials are tracing 170 school contacts amid hundreds of others in the outbreak.

"The penetration of Ebola in heavily populated areas creates a situation of rapid spread and is associated with sustained and protracted person-to-person transmission," Aceng said in a statement Wednesday. "Urban Ebola transmission is complex, and the government will do all it takes to ensure control of transmission in the urban settings."

In past outbreaks, the Sudan virus has had a fatality rate of between 41 percent and 100 percent. But it has been behind only seven of the 41 outbreaks listed on the World Health Organization's website. The most recent of those outbreaks was in 2012, which was also in Uganda and involved seven cases with a fatality rate of 57 percent.

Most Ebola outbreaks—including the two largest—have been caused by the Zaire Ebolavirus species. It is the target of licensed Ebola vaccines, which have proven highly effective at preventing disease in past outbreaks. Over the years, vaccine makers have developed shots aimed at the Sudan virus as well. But with Zaire behind every Ebola outbreak since 2012, progress had stalled on the development.

Now, officials in Uganda have obtained batches of three experimental Ebola vaccines against Sudan to test during the current outbreak. In a tweet Wednesday, Aceng confirmed that the ministry would deploy the three vaccines "in the coming weeks," hoping to inoculate 3,000 people initially—the contacts of 150 cases—within 29 days of exposure.

The three vaccine candidates include one developed by Oxford University, another by the nonprofit Sabin Vaccine Institute, and one from Merck, which recently discovered 100,000 undisclosed doses of its experimental vaccine in a freezer.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

The three vaccine candidates include one developed by Oxford University, another by the nonprofit Sabin Vaccine Institute, and one from Merck, which recently discovered 100,000 undisclosed doses of its experimental vaccine in a freezer.

what

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Probably was behind the frozen peas

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this, uh

this can happen

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

looks like TDF is trying to counterattack past couple days. Its the perfect time since ENDF/EDF are staggered over one road nearly 200km from Shire to Abiy Addi. Then 100km along two roads to friendly territory.

If they fail its back into countryside for TDF since the offensive will be much less vulnerable once it connects with Eritreans to north or forces to south. Really not sure why ENDF/EDF decided to push for Mekelle before securing Rama and a much shorter supply route.

If TDF succeeds I suspect it would be pretty bad for ENDF/EDF, since it would be a long retreat by one road surrounded by hostile countryside. And western offense is only one with real gains so far.

EDF in north hit brick wall. Meanwhile Alamata and Korem are very vulnerable geographically from the north so easy to reverse absent a breakthrough. At which point ball would be in TDF's court. Lunge south again? Or try to knock out Eritrea so there will be no third major intervention?

Eritrea seems to make more sense now since the Amharan militia have increased 10-fold. Eritrea mobilization-wise is limited by a small population. Also physically small, just 120km from Tigray to Asmara. TDF managed 310 km from Tigray in Gondor Offense and 390 km in Addis Offense

In terms of advance on Asmara, major defensive positions would be on border of course. Then it is pretty open for most of the way, although with some semi-defensible spots. Looking at Google Maps both roads have very good defensive terrain about 15km south of Asmara.

So getting to the gates of Asmara is pretty easy once you get through the border. Actually breaking through that rough terrain just to the south and then actually capturing Asmara (~1 million in metro area versus ~0.6 for Dessie/Kombolcha) would be the hard part.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol gently caress yea

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1586381932434112512

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

do not go digging in biology/chemistry freezers if you don't want to find the wildest imaginable poo poo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1586364135469895683

Lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

LOOOOOLLLLL

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think someone mentioned it in another thread but KHC was previously the largest shareholder in twitter before the buyout. they protested the buyout. they moved to #2 shareholder and made a fuckton of unexpected money. now they're happy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1586572872671174658?s=20&t=-DGrkJ_clDPJwO_WUhZbrw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

on the face of things this fall i'm partial to al-saqr's analysis that saudi is moving toward detente with iran under the wing of china, though i can't square it with the overtures to israel. i wonder if any reversal on that front is imminent

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

on the face of things this fall i'm partial to al-saqr's analysis that saudi is moving toward detente with iran under the wing of china, though i can't square it with the overtures to israel. i wonder if any reversal on that front is imminent

the UAE is a different country than Saudi.

the Emirati leadership are the brains of arab fascism.

also there’s nothing mutually exclusive about this, arab dictators are dogs looking for a new master, and because Arab dictators hold the anti-Semitic view that Jews control the world or America, then they will seek protection from external and internal threats from Israel which to them is as good as getting protection from america.

Arab fascism and Israel are existentially tied to the hip, because Israel knows the second Arabs get stuff like freedom and democracy they won’t be able to genocide the Palestinians Willy Nilly and all of their trade deals will immediately be rescinded.

also Israel has good relations with China and Russia so there’s no reason preventing this.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ReutersAfrica/status/1586617574367924226?s=20&t=JOScy4KW9Oz0SkjdmAWwRA