Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This kid in the minion suit hits like a loving truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wilder should have came out in this imo
https://twitter.com/MMAJunkie/status/1586559061654310913?s=20&t=iit0ZBtM5tLmWS7wnrq8ZQ

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
silva looks lightyears better than paul and could honestly have knocked him out.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Lol this commentary

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Silva looks like he's trying to buttonmash a mortal kombat finisher

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Lol this commentary

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol jake is loving gassssed and silva looks like he's sparring.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
lol that score

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Lol this commentary

Ariel is loving atrocious at everything

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Paul trained for this fight by hugging his mom

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

lol that score

lol yeah

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
YES ARIEL YOU ARE CRAZY AND STUPID

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

silva is carrying paul but in a way that is genuinely entertaining. good poo poo.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

The ref is here to only monitor Silva.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
lol well thats a hilarity

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Either Anderson has nothing left physically and had to pace himself through all the arm punches or he's holding back to make Jake look better. He's been way more passive on openings. The knockdown seals it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Either Anderson has nothing left physically and had to pace himself through all the arm punches or he's holding back to make Jake look better. He's been way more passive on openings. The knockdown seals it.

yeah with the knockdown i give it to jake but i don't buy for a second that silva was fighting to knock him out.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Anderson Silva has always fought like he was better than his opponent. When it was true, and then even late in his career when he was losing he still was just so good at no selling everything with his body language. I think he genuinely was fighting to win 100%, it's just that he's 47

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Bullshit decision.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

yeah with the knockdown i give it to jake but i don't buy for a second that silva was fighting to knock him out.

I thought he was pretty clearly pulling some punches/not throwing with much intent. His jab used to be a loving laser and he hardly threw it. He also is one of the weirdest fighters of all time so who knows

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bullshit decision.

Nah Silva deserved to lose. Bullshit dickaround performance from Silva more than anything

He's my all time favorite fighter, but man I hate when he does that poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Anderson Silva has always fought like he was better than his opponent. When it was true, and then even late in his career when he was losing he still was just so good at no selling everything with his body language. I think he genuinely was fighting to win 100%, it's just that he's 47

nah. his movement alone whether offensive and cutting off the ring and defensive was lightyears better, like, levels on levels.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Ariel is such a loser

Lol at silva

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

nah. his movement alone whether offensive and cutting off the ring and defensive was lightyears better, like, levels on levels.

It did get worse in the later rounds, but yeah, early on, he was sidestepping Jake's jabs like it was slow motion. That said, the ringcraft footwork is not as physically demanding.

Gramps posted:

I thought he was pretty clearly pulling some punches/not throwing with much intent.

It was hard for me to tell. He was throwing these evenly paced, sparring intensity combos when he had Jake cornered, but that's what it would look like if you were pushing 50 and had to go through 24min.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

what a clown show, lol at anyone feeling anything other than shame after watching that

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It did get worse in the later rounds, but yeah, early on, he was sidestepping Jake's jabs like it was slow motion. That said, the ringcraft footwork is not as physically demanding.

sort of. to my eyes it was lightyears better whenever he needed it to be.

i don't buy that silva was seriously gassed at any point in that fight. he looked like he was sparring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

holefoods posted:

what a clown show, lol at anyone feeling anything other than shame after watching that

I don't feel shame but I only watched it so I could be able to say confidently if others should feel shame

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

holefoods posted:

at absolute worst i think it was a pretty good carry. entertaining fight. doubtfully real, but entertaining.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

holefoods posted:

On the Gabby Garcia shame meter this is only like a 2

To get to the higher ends you need like chuck v tito 4

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

true shame comes not from watching the fight but losing money on the fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

true shame comes not from watching the fight but losing money on the fight

nah money on a fight win or lose is fun. if it isn't then you shouldn't be gambling.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

nah money on a fight win or lose is fun. if it isn't then you shouldn't be gambling.

oh it was fun. but still shameful. im not upset, just embarrassed.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Calling out Nate Diaz and then Canelo was kind of funny to me.

I think Jake will fight the winner of Hasim Rahman Jr. Vs Vitor Belfort next.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's sad to see someone like Silva reduced to this, although it pleases me that he got paid well for the stunt.

I want to see some 2023 heavyweight fights get announced. Right now, we've got Fury/Chisora, Dubois/Lerena, and Anderson/Forrest on the way. But there's not much else lined up. People are avoiding Joyce. Parker's licking his wounds. Usyk and Joshua are resting. This is promising, though:
https://www.fightsports.tv/deontay-wilder-vs-andy-ruiz-jr-to-be-sanctioned-in-november/

quote:

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman said that the Wilder versus Andy Ruiz Jr final heavyweight title eliminator will be sanctioned at the WBC’s convention on November 8.

“The WBC did sanction two fights as elimination bouts. It was Andy Ruiz against [Luis] ‘King Kong’ Ortiz and Wilder against Helenius. Both winners are to face each other for the final elimination and for the mandatory position in the WBC,” Sulaiman told Fighthype.

“… Every weight category will be discussed on November 8th of the ratings in the morning, and then the mandatories will come later on…

“Everybody can come up to the microphone and put their petition and their position. Then it’s voted right there by the WBC board.”

Both Wilder and Ruiz have already said that they are willing to fight one another.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is emblematic of the difference in footwork. It's from ESPN but I can't find the full res pic

Silva staying expertly out of the range for most of the fight and Paul not knowing any better.
In the knockdown, Silva just (as someone 100% accurately put it) accepted his own skill level and did no defense off a break.

also:
https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/34894650/conor-benn-reveals-second-failed-drugs-test-blames-contamination
I dunno, I probably wouldn't sign up for VADA unless I was on some high tech poo poo and doing my own testing.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 30, 2022

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Caleb Plant - David Benavidez got (basically) confirmed today which is pretty cool

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sonny bill is an elite athlete and was one of the best rugby players on earth before switching to boxing. he fought a 48 year old mark hunt and unlike the paul / silva fight exactly what i thought would happen happened.

https://twitter.com/MMAPropagande/status/1588864640465133569

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This makes me so happy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Best non-disappointing news heard in a long time, he was always my favorite fighter, and wikipedia prank’d me listing Sonny as the winner. Didn’t even have to brutally knock out his opponent, Sonny is just like, “Nope I lost”