Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It was only after I got risers for my HDMI cable that I could really appreciate this thread the way the posters intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If we shave the first and last posts off the thread it really should widen the soundstage

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If you aren't powering the device you're reading this on with a solid pure silver cable, you're destined to pickup A/C mains noise and have a cloudy signal. $700 for 12" of cable will assuredly eliminate the transient distortions in the holographic air

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mozi posted:

It was only after I got risers for my HDMI cable that I could really appreciate this thread the way the posters intended.
Lol if you are reading this on an LCD monitor with hdmi inputs. You need a CRT monitor to really bring out the warmth in the posting.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
im in close contact with the local power provider to gold plate the local substation

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Jeffrey, we're gonna need to review your server setup. Nobody's laughing at my shitposts, and I'm pretty sure that your rack mount is degrading their tonality. Send me your address and I'll ship you some crystals to absorb the negative posting energy.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
The device I'm reading this on is not powered with solid pure silver cable, but I can assure you that the device I'm subsuming this on is powered by pure colloidal silver.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Karia posted:

Jeffrey, we're gonna need to review your server setup. Nobody's laughing at my shitposts, and I'm pretty sure that your rack mount is degrading their tonality. Send me your address and I'll ship you some crystals to absorb the negative posting energy.

Pretty sure you need some high end data filters, gold coated ferite core.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bigman.50grand posted:

The device I'm reading this on is not powered with solid pure silver cable, but I can assure you that the device I'm subsuming this on is powered by pure colloidal silver.

There's a whole untapped market for audiophile dietary supplements! Improve your treble hearing by eating this gold covered folic acid! Only 99$ per pill

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Buying the same album to get your hands on a different mastering is perfectly valid.

SACD is great for classical music. It’s kind of astonishing how many multichannel recordings have been made.

i think classical is the only genre which still regularly supports the audiophile formats. BIS, Channel Classics and Chandos still make SACD stuff, and the big labels are trying really hard to make "spatial" BD-audio (eg Dolby Atmos) a thing because Quadrophonic didn't fail hard enough in the 70s.

it's not really that surprising because classical was always kind of the prestige audiophile genre, though a lot of it has been trying to recapture the magic that the first stereo boom and then the CD boom had.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 30, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think classical is the only genre which still regularly supports the audiophile formats. BIS, Channel Classics and Chandos still make SACD stuff, and the big labels are trying really hard to make "spatial" BD-audio (eg Dolby Atmos) a thing because Quadrophonic didn't fail hard enough in the 70s.

it's not really that surprising because classical was always kind of the prestige audiophile genre, though a lot of it has been trying to recapture the magic that the first stereo boom and then the CD boom had.

It's also one of the genres that heavily leans on room acoustics as part of the sound, like being able to simulate the sound of sitting in a beautiful concert hall listening to Rach's 2nd piano concerto can actually be improved with tasteful surround sound reproduction. For other genres.. the case is a lot weaker, imo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah classical is made to sound good in a big concert hall, jazz is made to sound good in a small basement, rock is made to sound good in your dad's garage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mederlock posted:

It's also one of the genres that heavily leans on room acoustics as part of the sound, like being able to simulate the sound of sitting in a beautiful concert hall listening to Rach's 2nd piano concerto can actually be improved with tasteful surround sound reproduction. For other genres.. the case is a lot weaker, imo.

you mean you’ve never had Diana Krall singing right at you in a smoky room, dead center with a full band behind her?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For the longest time American audiophiles would claim the best sounding records ever made were RCA Living Stereo classical records which is why early pressings of them still sell for inflated amounts at some stores.

There's an old school record store near my old apartment which still has an entire selection of RCA LSC records at way over what I'd pay for a classical LP especially when I can find them elsewhere for cheap.

Love that Living Stereo logo though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd trust more audiophile stuff if it had cool logos like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mercury is the other label for classical stereo records audiophiles loved and i like that they were proud enough of their three Schoeps/Telefunken mics that they put them on their CD box set front and center

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
deutsche grammophon

founded in 1898, and actually still around

still pressing LPs

I have a whole collection of DG stuff, mostly found dirt cheap at thrifts and estate sales, stretching from like the mid 50s to today and all of it sounds lovely

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 30, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
because i never get to nerd about old rear end classical audiphilia, one of my favorite bits of insanity was the whole London Records/Decca records thing

Decca was the audiophile favorite for British classical records but they didn't have the rights to the Decca name here, so they sold their records under the London Records brand. London Records LPs which were manufactured in the UK are exactly the same as the Decca records, as in they have the exact same stamper numbers and all that. Despite this there are a whole slew of people who swear on the bible that Decca-branded records sound clearly better than the London ones, and that the engineers at the Decca plants secretly changed the mastering for American releases, or hoarded the Hot Stamper releases for themselves.

This is a flamewar that has been going on since like the 1950s. You still see people argue about it today.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That linus tech twat has a half decent video about a bullshit audiophile network switch up.
Im too tired to link sory

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have a whole collection of DG stuff, mostly found dirt cheap at thrifts and estate sales, stretching from like the mid 50s to today and all of it sounds lovely

i love Archiv which were DG's early music/baroque label. they had all these certificates about the recording process in the boxes and everything about it down to the typefaces used are so German

classical is fun to collect because unlike every single other bit of the LP world it hasn't skyrocketed in price. i've had shops just give me poo poo for free because i'm the only person they know who will take classical off their hands

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i love Archiv which were DG's early music/baroque label. they had all these certificates about the recording process in the boxes and everything about it down to the typefaces used are so German

classical is fun to collect because unlike every single other bit of the LP world it hasn't skyrocketed in price. i've had shops just give me poo poo for free because i'm the only person they know who will take classical off their hands

usually super well taken care of too. Like on the rare occasion that you find something popular or commonly desirable at a place like Goodwill it’s usually beat to poo poo, but classical records are often spotless

pristine old classical LPs are a great way to indulge in how good your setup can sound without spending $60+ for a new boxed set or whatever

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ok Comboomer posted:

deutsche grammophon

founded in 1898, and actually still around

still pressing LPs

Holy crap… small world. I went to high school with Bryce and his twin brother Aaron. I knew they were musicians…. But didn’t expect to see them here. Nice

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A friend of mine who's a vinyl junkie just got a new receiver and found out that up until now he was somehow listening to his records with his speakers out of phase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

namlosh posted:

Holy crap… small world. I went to high school with Bryce and his twin brother Aaron. I knew they were musicians…. But didn’t expect to see them here. Nice

you know they’re in a pretty famous (at least by “indie rock” standards) band together right? Quite a few NMD threads about them over the years.

also Aaron recently coproduced two Taylor Swift albums and won a Grammy for one of them, and has worked with people like Sharon Van Etten and Michael Stipe, etc

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

namlosh posted:

They're both in a band called the National, that's fairly popular in mopey sad man dad rock circles. Aaron Dessner also writes and produces music for Taylor Swift.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh they're that band that had a boring song hidden in one of the Portal games.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That’s awesome! good on them. We went to school together from 1st grade all the way through HS graduation lol.
I did know that they played on David letterman once years ago. Can’t tell my daughter about Aaron producing because she’ll bug me to try and meet Taylor Swift lol.

Aaron used to play the Piccolo really well…

In 3rd grade :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://youtu.be/NMFQ3YvR3Eo

:allears: :allears: :allears: :allears: :allears:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i don't think i ever saw a passive speaker where the crossovers and driver wires weren't made from bargain basement chinese parts

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFQ3YvR3Eo

I know some people don't like this guy, but interesting disassemble of an $800 AUDIOPHILE GRADE switch which is literally just a $30 entry level non managed network switch with stickers and crystals and glue

Anybody know where I can get a roll of those sick Illuminati stickers? I'm trying to make my bits more open and my soundstage more linear

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

damnit too slow on my part

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

intheflesh posted:

I know some people don't like this guy, but interesting disassemble of an $800 AUDIOPHILE GRADE switch which is literally just a $30 entry level non managed network switch with stickers and crystals and glue

seems like the snake oilers aren't paying linus enough yet

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Palladium posted:

seems like the snake oilers aren't paying linus enough yet

seems like linus doesn't understand the Complexity of the sound stage and what alters it. He's a computer person not an audio person so he's unqualified to do this review.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The thing is you could spend a lot of time and energy explaining how packet data works to the kinds of people who buy this stuff but in the end they just shrug and go "look, I listened to it at my dealer/an audio show and totally heard a difference! Trust your ears, bro."

e: don't miss one of my favorite audiophile articles of the last few years where a dude buys enterprise grade fiber gear for his house because his ring doorbell used too much wifi.

qirex fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 31, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

njsykora posted:

Yeah classical is made to sound good in a big concert hall, jazz is made to sound good in a small basement, rock is made to sound good in your dad's garage.

black metal isn't made to sound good at all :black101:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I load the thread on a portable device, then disconnect it from the internet so I can appreciate all the pixels without interference. Sometimes I load it, disconnect, and then drive to the forest to enjoy it properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I load the thread on a portable device, then disconnect it from the internet so I can appreciate all the pixels without interference. Sometimes I load it, disconnect, and then drive to the forest to enjoy it properly.

gotta charge those crystals in private

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta charge those crystals in private

The resonant frequencies are best excited in a circle with some buddies

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

For the longest time American audiophiles would claim the best sounding records ever made were RCA Living Stereo classical records which is why early pressings of them still sell for inflated amounts at some stores.

There's an old school record store near my old apartment which still has an entire selection of RCA LSC records at way over what I'd pay for a classical LP especially when I can find them elsewhere for cheap.

Love that Living Stereo logo though.

When I worked at a record store we got a big collection from a university professor who was a hardcore audiophile during that time (like $10k+ ribbon speakers, the whole works) and some of those Living Stereo records sold for absolutely wacko amounts of money. Someone could make a loving killing taking the tapes for those from the RCA vault and reissuing them in high-res digital, or something really crazy like 10" half-track reel to reel tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

A friend of mine who's a vinyl junkie just got a new receiver and found out that up until now he was somehow listening to his records with his speakers out of phase.

lmfao I love these folks so much, people who pay way too much money for records only to play them on equipment that they don't understand at all