Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stux posted:

that specifically is nested in the net income tooltip in a pops details, the needs amount is underlined and pops that out

Thank you for this. I've been trying to find pop needs for a while now and just haven't been able to. There's way too much information hidden away inside tooltips. If only they had a central repository for all of this information that you could peruse through. A ledger, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're lucky and it happens anyway. In my game there have been no Taipings or Boxers or any European colonization at all other than the UK taking a single treaty port ages ago. Was looking forward to taking over Korea and Manchuria but without a shattered Qing there's no chance.

In that case you'd probably and very unfortunately have to find a way to swing a great power like the UK then, taking on obligations etc.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Why does my Barracks have a lack of Opium all of a sudden?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You must have enabled one of the medical production methods on your battalions, and/or lost your opium trade route.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 30, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

In that case you'd probably and very unfortunately have to find a way to swing a great power like the UK then, taking on obligations etc.

It's fine, I can't figure out how to start a war anyway.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I colonized some Pacific Islands. To get people to move there do I need to build somewhere for them to work then subsidize the building until people move there and make the building profitable?

People will migrate automatically so long as they are allowed. Many countries start with "closed borders" which stops all migration, internal and external.

You do need to build a building though, subsistence farmers don't make enough money for migration to be attractive. Subsidies are not necessary.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you turned on first aid or field hospitals. opium is currently very rare, the AI doesn't seem to really know that it exists or build the plantations for it so even grabbing a customs union on siam or other historical opium-growing territory doesn't work immediately. the only tags that seem to develop their opium plantations at all are british subjects, probably because they can discern that strong britain great nation needs opium for its armies when it's in the same market; other nations probably do too if you can get that customs union, but otherwise they won't

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I worked out how to open Japan!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kalko posted:

I worked out how to open Japan!

I had the same thought when I picked a fight that England got involved in. All they wanted for a loss was that we open free trade.

It was a moment of "...you will?"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently the Heavenly Kingdom event for China is very badly coded. The event sets off a diplomatic crisis where you annex the Heavenly Kingdom. This means you take a metric shitton of infamy, which in my case meant that I got 170 infamy for winning a civil war.

I'm just going to go ahead and fix that by cheating because holy poo poo that is not the way a civil war should work with respect to infamy. It also ends up taking away your incorporated states, so you have to reincorporate anything that breaks off.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can we mention the crazy integration time for states that share no culture with yours? 20 years, aka 1/5th the playable time, is a bit fuckin crazy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Weird. The send peace offer UI seems to suggest the AI will accept the reduced demands, but then it popped up the dove notification and rejects in 30 days...

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I've been having a pretty successful game as China, I'm 35 years in, I've become a recognized power, things are stable so far and the economy is doing fine. I might've made a mistake though, I've been integrating every single piece of territory that I've got/gained, and I just passed the religious schools law. It takes 5,000 bureaucracy just to maintain the level 1 education institution and I have like 90 government admin buildings queued up so I can hit level 2. It's an obscene amount of paper/costs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

you turned on first aid or field hospitals. opium is currently very rare, the AI doesn't seem to really know that it exists or build the plantations for it so even grabbing a customs union on siam or other historical opium-growing territory doesn't work immediately. the only tags that seem to develop their opium plantations at all are british subjects, probably because they can discern that strong britain great nation needs opium for its armies when it's in the same market; other nations probably do too if you can get that customs union, but otherwise they won't

Yeah I believe the AI currently has a trouble figuring out "demand that doesn't exist yet, but would if the supply was increased". It seems to be an issue where the AI won't switch production methods to something that will require a supply of a good that is currently very expensive (because of a low supply), leading to a low demand for that good, which makes the AI think "nobody wants this" so they don't bother doing anything to increase the supply. I think this is also why they are very slow to develop late game resources like oil/rubber.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This Europe is a hillarious mess:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

In my Japan playthrough I somehow managed to colonize Kenya in the 1850s. I basically have where I assume Mombasa is while the French have a small chunk of the rest of the coast.

I also had a bizarre situation where the Masai fought me and it literally became a battle where my not yet modernized armies of Samurai got into what I assume is hand to hand combat with Masai warriors. This poo poo could’ve made a strange movie or tv show. The game is a shitload of fun so far and I really appreciate that we can build the factories ourselves. Random unprofitable factories popping up everywhere was what made me quit Victoria 2. Along with chasing unit tokens around the map to win wars.

Anyway I spent an enormous amount of time industrializing the gently caress out of the Kansai region and now southern Japan is basically a forge world from all the iron, steel, coal and train engines it’s pumping out. In northern Japan I started building food industries and this is where I’m confused.

What the heck is the point of a groceries vs just having meat, grains and fruit? I’m not sure why I suddenly have demand for groceries and I have no idea how to track these needs. It only became an issue the moment I built food industries, and I only did that because I wanted more liquor.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I'd been dithering over whether to finish out this Japan game before starting a new one, but all my IGs suddenly refuse to form or join parties so the Industrialists are getting 100% of every vote by default, so I think maybe my decision's been made for me

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I've been having a pretty successful game as China, I'm 35 years in, I've become a recognized power, things are stable so far and the economy is doing fine. I might've made a mistake though, I've been integrating every single piece of territory that I've got/gained, and I just passed the religious schools law. It takes 5,000 bureaucracy just to maintain the level 1 education institution and I have like 90 government admin buildings queued up so I can hit level 2. It's an obscene amount of paper/costs.

Yeah, you pretty much can't get a good handle on your administration until you get telephones. Central Archives is a really good tech to beeline early, and then as you expand your paper industry you can slowly build out some more admin. I'd focus on Beijing, since you get bonus admin output for it being the capital. It doesn't help that a lot of your early laws and such also make it harder to administrate everything.

For actually making money, it's a good idea to focus on tariffs and consumption taxes early on. Your administration is overextended to the breaking point at the beginning of the game, which cuts your normal tax income dramatically.

The nice thing is that you can support a vast construction industry; you can pretty easily build 50ish construction buildings in the early game (I usually sort by peasants and concentrate industry in the first 20 states on the list), and then slowly expand from there. You'll need tons and tons and tons and tons of wood to support everything, so I actually go in and disable hardwood and luxury furniture production at the beginning. Around the time you switch glass and paper away from using all of your wood is about the time you can go back to getting hardwood, and coincidentally about the time you want to start making weapons that need hardwood as well.

Right now my China game is at the point where I have around 1.5 million in capital investment from all the capitalists in my empire. Breaking their stranglehold over the economy is going to be difficult, but holy poo poo are they supercharging things at the moment.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently the Heavenly Kingdom event for China is very badly coded. The event sets off a diplomatic crisis where you annex the Heavenly Kingdom. This means you take a metric shitton of infamy, which in my case meant that I got 170 infamy for winning a civil war.

I'm just going to go ahead and fix that by cheating because holy poo poo that is not the way a civil war should work with respect to infamy. It also ends up taking away your incorporated states, so you have to reincorporate anything that breaks off.

You're probably right, but maybe you could fluff it as Europeans/New Worlders being outraged at an enormous "Christian" nation being suppressed by heathens. A lot of the domestic propaganda in England/France prior to their looting spree intervention played up that aspect of the conflict.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Long time ck3 player, first-time victoria player, but it seems all my heirs are naked and dickless. :confused: NSFW Reloading doesn't seem to help. As soon as he became Shogun, he got some clothes, but the next heir was also naked from baby to adult.

Also the USA seems to have gotten into an unending war with Kong where it's spent 15M so far in war costs to Kong's 0. I don't think they've been able to do anything else, just sit there and be at war.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So does Regime Change not do anything or do I not understand what it's supposed to do?

I figured a fun endgame goal for my communist Japan was to liberate the workers of the world. So when I declared war on Sind to turn it into a giant opium plantation and found myself at war with Russia and China I figured there were a lot of people to liberate. I ate 50 infamy just for declaring that I would change their regimes. It was a pretty big war, spanning all of Eurasia. It's 1920 and Communist Britain joined me making it something of a world war.

I pressed my goals and... nothing. The Russian Czar and Qing Emperor are still presiding over repressive backwards absolutist empires. They apparently don't have anyone in government now, and all their political parties are in opposition. Did it gently caress up because trade unions were marginalized or something? What's supposed to happen? "Regime Change" says it "changes the government and laws" of a country to be more like your own. Was there just some tiny incremental law that changed and didn't notice?

On a related subject I figured out how to gently caress with the AI to win wars. All those who were unhappy about the lack of exploitative troop micro have no fear. All you need to do is spam naval invasions. Or more accurately, lock up all their troops on a big front and then spam naval invasions. Manchuria may have been as dug in as the western front, but I could just land troops in Beijing. And Shandong. And Guangdong. And Crimea. And Ingria.

The invasion of St Petersburg was quite effective because it took the Russian troops months to get back from Siberia and I basically marched into Moscow unopposed. But even the fronts where they could send some troops in China, they couldn't send enough.

Part of the issue is there's only one battle at a time on a front. So you have your giant industrial army with trench warfare activated, which means battles take forever and even when you win you don't advance much, and it's all just stuck there. Unless you open a bunch more fronts. Fronts that will be facing much worse troops. All of a sudden you're winning all over the place and the battle lines are actually moving.

Probably isn't supposed to work that way, but I figured I'd mention it if late game wars are frustrating anyone else.

The British should have just invaded Pomerania during WWI. It's so obvious in retrospect.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Eiba posted:

So does Regime Change not do anything or do I not understand what it's supposed to do?

I figured a fun endgame goal for my communist Japan was to liberate the workers of the world. So when I declared war on Sind to turn it into a giant opium plantation and found myself at war with Russia and China I figured there were a lot of people to liberate. I ate 50 infamy just for declaring that I would change their regimes. It was a pretty big war, spanning all of Eurasia. It's 1920 and Communist Britain joined me making it something of a world war.

I pressed my goals and... nothing. The Russian Czar and Qing Emperor are still presiding over repressive backwards absolutist empires. They apparently don't have anyone in government now, and all their political parties are in opposition. Did it gently caress up because trade unions were marginalized or something? What's supposed to happen? "Regime Change" says it "changes the government and laws" of a country to be more like your own. Was there just some tiny incremental law that changed and didn't notice?

On a related subject I figured out how to gently caress with the AI to win wars. All those who were unhappy about the lack of exploitative troop micro have no fear. All you need to do is spam naval invasions. Or more accurately, lock up all their troops on a big front and then spam naval invasions. Manchuria may have been as dug in as the western front, but I could just land troops in Beijing. And Shandong. And Guangdong. And Crimea. And Ingria.

The invasion of St Petersburg was quite effective because it took the Russian troops months to get back from Siberia and I basically marched into Moscow unopposed. But even the fronts where they could send some troops in China, they couldn't send enough.

Part of the issue is there's only one battle at a time on a front. So you have your giant industrial army with trench warfare activated, which means battles take forever and even when you win you don't advance much, and it's all just stuck there. Unless you open a bunch more fronts. Fronts that will be facing much worse troops. All of a sudden you're winning all over the place and the battle lines are actually moving.

Probably isn't supposed to work that way, but I figured I'd mention it if late game wars are frustrating anyone else.

The British should have just invaded Pomerania during WWI. It's so obvious in retrospect.

by god it's an anti-doomstack mechanic, it finally happened

real talk, can't wait to try this. friggin warfare makes no sense to me

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

spacebard posted:

Long time ck3 player, first-time victoria player, but it seems all my heirs are naked and dickless. :confused: NSFW Reloading doesn't seem to help. As soon as he became Shogun, he got some clothes, but the next heir was also naked from baby to adult.

Also the USA seems to have gotten into an unending war with Kong where it's spent 15M so far in war costs to Kong's 0. I don't think they've been able to do anything else, just sit there and be at war.

Lol that's a CK3-rear end bug. Also, the USA war is unfortunately a common situation right now, the AI has no idea how to do naval invasions.

Regarding the "one-battle-at-a-time system," it makes allying with Qing a huge trap. I had maxed tech and 400 troops on a front in the Pyrenees and every battle was my Qing allies and their peasant levies getting blown out by Spain's Napoleonic infantry, while my tanks and chlorine gas were just idling somewhere a few kilos back.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 30, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Managed to get into a series of late-game trench wars against Austria and man, it is grueling stuff - successfully taking the offensive doesn't really seem possible without a serious manpower advantage if your enemy is near-evenly matched in tech. However, it seems like it's actually pretty easy to cheese the AI because the AI doesn't know this - if you have reasonably large, but outnumbered forces on every front set to defend, the AI will happily meatgrinder their units into oblivion trying to fruitlessly attack you, allowing you to counter-attack pretty easily when they've depleted their troops to nothing with their morale shot to hell, and once you've gotten to that point the AI has a hard time recovering before you can make serious inroads into their territory.

AI cheesing aside, though, the front system does work beautifully for depicting WW1-style combat - my first war was an attempt to check Austria by joining France when the Austrians tried to cut them down to size, but my initial attempts to score a decisive early victory before holding onto my new gains ran afoul of Austrian trenches, French obsolescence (they still had large amounts of skirmish troops), and the fact that our numbers were enough to convince the French they needed to keep attacking no matter what. Early defeats before I settled in defending no matter what the French did resulted in my losing territory in my vital homeland of Piedmont before managing to check the Austrian advance, and everything after that was a long, slow slog on trying to retake my borders - something which I'd only just about done when the French threw in the towel due to their debts becoming unsustainable.

The second war happened after a major expansion to my military after having learned the lessons of the first war, and was a call to arms from Parma when the Austrians attempted to subjugate them and the Parmese tried to fight for their independence. This time, I used the tactics I described earlier and successfully curbstomped the Austrians, pushing them back to the Tyrolean mountains and almost past them before they gave in. One thing I'll add to all this by the way - picking the right commander honestly makes an enormous difference. A lot of the traits offer percentage bonuses when their condition is in effect, which in the late game can mean absolutely enormous bonuses when applied to already-high late-game stats - enough to allow trench infantry to just about manage to defeat opposing trenches on the offensive, for instance, or to make trench infantry on the defense even more stupidly impregnable than usual. There's an interesting tension in that you do want a decent stable of generals to ensure that you can cover every potential front, especially if the fronts start splitting and going stupid, but at the same time you very much benefit from heavily promoting capable generals and giving them the raw force needed to smash down opposition without diluting their strength with other, lesser generals. Assuming you're OK with the political effects of doing so, of course.

I also managed to get a decent look at naval warfare, and it is...weird. There doesn't seem to be any functional difference between a land battle or a naval battle other than the effects after the battle - instead of individual ships sinking, naval battles are modeled in exactly the same way as land battles with troops per flotilla getting ground down over time and breaking away when morale gets low. It's also extremely easy to miss battles when they happen - the fronts can direct you to land battles as they happen, and usually the icon for a land battle crops up close to a front icon anyhow, but naval battles can occur at any time, anywhere without any warning. It's also very difficult to COMPLETELY proof your economy against raiding as the enemy will manage to break through somewhere or other, but with a good navy the effects should be fairly minor. Hypothetically if the enemy relies heavily on trade you could really do a lot of damage raiding their convoys, though - even a relatively small raid against my shipping lanes knocked off multiple percentage points of market access across the board. But in order to successfully carry out that kind of warfare AND protect your own shipping at the same time you're very much going to need a huge amount of raw fleets - I had a few battles where my 20-flotilla fleet of convoy raiders armed with dreadnoughts and other goodies with way more than twice the stats of my enemies still ended up getting beat down by a 40-flotilla fleet of ironclads. Sheer numbers seems to matter a lot in naval warfare, possible for morale if nothing else.

Tekma posted:

yeah managed to dig up an earlier manual save from right after leaving russia and joining austrian market, hope you figure out something i failed to!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfb69pw5b0zt61a/save%20games_independentfinland.v3?dl=0

let me know if the link doesnt work for some reason

Huh. I don't have time for a full dig through, but what I've seen leaves me very confused. First off, I can't replicate the lack of market access you mention when going independent - getting out of the customs union and I still seem to have full access to the colonies, no sweat. Letting the game tick over enough that Austria goes to war also doesn't seem to do anything like you described. But what IS very odd is that while IN the customs union, it's not actually possible to see your shipping lanes, nor that of Austria's. Once you get out of the customs union it's possible to see your own shipping lanes again (which, yeah, shows the route over to the African colonies is fairly small and shouldn't be an issue for the convoys you have), but Austria's remains obscured - you can see they have an entry in the shipping lane node, but you can't actually select any of their trade routes. Tag-switching over to them allows you to see their shipping lane to a port connection, but not their naval trade routes - which DO exist, checking their market. Russia seems to have something similar going on as well. And come to think of it, in my own game both Austria and Russia also seem to have similar issues where you can't see their trade routes.

This isn't at all helpful to your issue, given that I can't even make the problem happen again, but it does seem like it's some kind of bug, and a rather odd one that affects you but not others, as opposed to some kind of game mechanics issue which should universally affect everyone. Also helped me twig on to a bug of my own - I'd thought that Russia and Austria simply didn't do too much seaborne trade, but no apparently there's some funkiness going on with their trade routes.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 30, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Eiba posted:

had the same thing happen to me. no idea whats up.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
As far as I can tell Regime change is only a prestige loss for the target.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

On that note, minor peeve I'm developing - I'd really like it if generalized revolts caused with radicals without a specific cause stopped being called "Radical X Revolt" when their actual laws tend not to be terribly radical at all and are frequently more reactionary than anything else, or even in some cases almost entirely identical to their original nation. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the idea of civil wars breaking out between nearly identical candidates (especially if both governments are a monarchy of some kind), I just wish the generic name for them wasn't "radical."

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

As far as I can tell Regime change is only a prestige loss for the target.

i'd make a bug report, sounds like another thing they didnt stream midgame/late game to avoid showing lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

spacebard posted:

The United States of America vs Kong sounds like the name of a baller 1976 Roger Corman movie.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As the US, I've entered into a war against Japan and Austria with the UK called in to help me via an obligation. Two thirds of the way through the war with us steamrolling through Honshu, the UK "capitulates" with no demands, and all of the progress we've made in Japan is reverted and my troops are kicked out of the country and sent back to America?? What?? I went back and loaded an autosave and saw that the british islands were untouched, and the UK was under no distress. Their economy was doing fine, too. The British Raj was facing a bengalese revolt, but it seemed like they were handling it. What the hell just happened, and why? Can countries who are called into a war via obligations just casually back out whenever they want?

This would be a lot less annoying if the game didn't decide that all war progress up until this point should be lost upon this happening.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
This game's gonna kick so much rear end when it hits 1.0 in a few years

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eldoop posted:

This game's gonna kick so much rear end when it hits 1.0 in a few years

Brutal.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, you pretty much can't get a good handle on your administration until you get telephones. Central Archives is a really good tech to beeline early, and then as you expand your paper industry you can slowly build out some more admin. I'd focus on Beijing, since you get bonus admin output for it being the capital. It doesn't help that a lot of your early laws and such also make it harder to administrate everything.

For actually making money, it's a good idea to focus on tariffs and consumption taxes early on. Your administration is overextended to the breaking point at the beginning of the game, which cuts your normal tax income dramatically.

The nice thing is that you can support a vast construction industry; you can pretty easily build 50ish construction buildings in the early game (I usually sort by peasants and concentrate industry in the first 20 states on the list), and then slowly expand from there. You'll need tons and tons and tons and tons of wood to support everything, so I actually go in and disable hardwood and luxury furniture production at the beginning. Around the time you switch glass and paper away from using all of your wood is about the time you can go back to getting hardwood, and coincidentally about the time you want to start making weapons that need hardwood as well.

Right now my China game is at the point where I have around 1.5 million in capital investment from all the capitalists in my empire. Breaking their stranglehold over the economy is going to be difficult, but holy poo poo are they supercharging things at the moment.

I'm definitely bee-lining towards telephones when I've got a chance now, and rubber shouldn't be too big of a problem since South East Asia is right there. I've also probably stuck to agrarianism for too long, it looks like I've only been getting investment pooling from aristocrats. I'll probably switch to interventionism for a while then go for command-economy asap, a 25% taxation capacity bonus seems like it'd be huge for China. Also is there a way to encourage socialism in a country? I went through an entire Sikh game with no chance to switch over to it until the end. I think I was boosting intelligentsia+trade unions the entire time too. Is it just luck that they change ideology?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Also I think I can kinda see why the AI might be a little leery of developing late-game goods? Stuff like electricity or rubber or oil can be very powerful, but when you first get the ability to build them there isn't really demand until you build up the demand for them yourself, but building up the demand means a quick shot of unprofitability because you're creating things that can't turn a profit without the input good being produced. If the AI's not forward-thinking enough I can see it looking at either building the supply or the demand and going "Yeah, in the short term that's not gonna work out" and giving it up as a bad job. You do need a bit of a plan to get such late-industrial goods off the ground.

This isn't just an AI decision-making thing, though, one of the issues with some of the late-game goods is that pops don't seem to buy them as much as they should be doing. Even with a large, late-game economy with skyrocketing standards of living domestic demand for things like radios, telephones, and automobiles is nearly non-existent for me - the bulk of such goods goes instead to military or government use. That's not much to build an economy on, unlike the evergreen furniture and clothing industries. Seems like something about the good substitution formula needs a bit of rejiggering to make it so that pops prioritize buying such late-game goods more? It might not help that due to massive urbanization services are ridiculously dirt cheap, which probably makes them far more attractive to purchase than anything else they might be substituted for.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

I mostly meant it as a compliment! It feels like an early access game but an exceptionally good one

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's 1905 and i'm japan. i have claims on korea, having completed meiji restoration, and want to invade qing to take it. except now it seems i can't start diplomatic plays on anyone? is this a bug? i have them in focus (in fact, have 12 areas in focus since i'm a major power). has this happened to anyone else?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

On that note, minor peeve I'm developing - I'd really like it if generalized revolts caused with radicals without a specific cause stopped being called "Radical X Revolt" when their actual laws tend not to be terribly radical at all and are frequently more reactionary than anything else, or even in some cases almost entirely identical to their original nation. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the idea of civil wars breaking out between nearly identical candidates (especially if both governments are a monarchy of some kind), I just wish the generic name for them wasn't "radical."
I went to war with Russia once to defend Communist Finland because I thought Communist Finland was a great idea.

They were just liberals! I felt so betrayed by the name of their revolt.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's 1905 and i'm japan. i have claims on korea, having completed meiji restoration, and want to invade qing to take it. except now it seems i can't start diplomatic plays on anyone? is this a bug? i have them in focus (in fact, have 12 areas in focus since i'm a major power). has this happened to anyone else?

How are your relations with them? Diplomatic plays aren't possible unless relations are below a certain threshold, so start degrading that relationship.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So if you are playing as a power that starts as a tributary how do you potentially free yourself? My only option I can find in the diplomatic plays or diplomacy tab with the faction itself is to request it via the 'diplomatic interaction' tab with the respective nation. However they just say no and there doesn't seem to be any recourse.

Is there some relative level of economic or military power or other trick to force the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

So if you are playing as a power that starts as a tributary how do you potentially free yourself? My only option I can find in the diplomatic plays or diplomacy tab with the faction itself is to request it via the 'diplomatic interaction' tab with the respective nation. However they just say no and there doesn't seem to be any recourse.

Is there some relative level of economic or military power or other trick to force the issue?

Again, harming relations should open you up to hostile diplomatic plays once you get below a certain point.

The UI really ought to show you all possible diplomatic plays even when they're not available, it'd take a lot of the guesswork out of "What exactly do I need to do to get this play going?" In general the UI is equal parts informative and confusing, lots of good information and you can mostly pick up the basics by going along but there's also a lot of important information buried in nested tooltip after nested tooltip, or some obscure widget somewhere in the overall UI that's already busy with way too much stuff going on.