Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tender Bender posted:

Ah, thanks. Am I correct that other than cosmetics/resources, the Miles Morales card is the only actual card reward that will be unavailable when the Symbiote Season ends?

Yeah season passes have so far had one new card and then 3 variants that are tied to them, everything else is available to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Tender Bender posted:

Ah, thanks. Am I correct that other than cosmetics/resources, the Miles Morales card is the only actual card reward that will be unavailable when the Symbiote Season ends?

He goes into pool 3, so he's not unavailable, but you won't see him for a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Go RV! posted:

He goes into pool 3, so he's not unavailable, but you won't see him for a while.

Not at the end of this season. When Season 6 ends Nick Fury enters Pool 3 as he was the Season 5 card, and Miles temporarily becomes completely unavailable until the end of Season 7.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Tender Bender posted:

Yes, and only temporarily, as it will eventually get added to Pool 3 for anyone to get.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
I really don't like the other variants in the season pass, but like playing a move deck. Is Miles super critical to have?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mirror123 posted:

I really don't like the other variants in the season pass, but like playing a move deck. Is Miles super critical to have?

Not really no. Like, he’s nice to have, and would pair well with Nightcrawler in another deck, but he’s not a clutch card or anything

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

pre:
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (2) Colossus
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Punisher
# (3) Captain America
# (4) Ka-Zar
# (5) Iron Man
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (6) Spectrum
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW50TWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOaWdodGNyYXdsZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkthWmFyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTcGVjdHJ1bSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmx1ZU1hcnZlbCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSXJvbk1hbiJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FwdGFpbkFtZXJpY2EifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yRmFudGFzdGljIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJQdW5pc2hlciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29sb3NzdXMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlJvY2tldFJhY2Nvb24ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNxdWlycmVsR2lybCJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

So this is the deck I'm currently using.
If I'm understanding things right, I'm still in Block 1 and am like a little baby, but this has been pretty reliable for me so far. It's pretty straightforward; Try to dump a bunch of ongoing effects and then boost them with Spectrum.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006

mirror123 posted:

Not really. It's nice to get a cheap card out but his buff relies on someone else moving first, so earliest you'll get him out is turn 3.

Also, what the card doesn't tell you is that his cost only drops to 1 on the turn he got buffed. So if you don't play him, or if someone else doesn't move, he goes back to cost 4.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jedit posted:

It's a massive grind, but it's a lot faster than that.

I’m at work so short reply, but thank you for this. Very informative post that filled in some of the blanks for me nicely.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Used my saved credits to boost halfway through pool 2 and boy do you need to have some counter cards

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Opopanax posted:

Not really no. Like, he’s nice to have, and would pair well with Nightcrawler in another deck, but he’s not a clutch card or anything

Yeah I'm currently running Miles in mine but there are a couple others in consideration that I'd cut him for. It's great slamming down that much power for 1 energy but it's also a deck that seems to really want to curve out in order for all the moving parts (ha) to work and sometimes squeezing in that extra 1 energy is awkward.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm not sure what deck archetype is best suited for exploiting the current hot location? +5 mana randomly. I've been focused on having a nice curve so I dunno what to run as a greedy deck. Some sort of Dino/card heavy deck? I'm in Pool 2 if it matters.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Turn 1 infinaut is pretty good if you have one. Might as well run shang chi to counter similar moves by your opponent.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ooh, I unlocked Onslaught earlier and I have been having fun pairing him up with Iron Man.
Especially when my opponent thinks that Hulk is going to dominate that space for them

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I just realized Strong Guy and Apocalypse have anti-synergy. And now my Discard deck is doing okay. Sunspot is so clutch he should filter with "Discard".

Rotating location seems decent with this deck too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sunspot's a bit too much of a glass cannon. Although I do get a lot of schadenfreude put of someone holding onto their cards to power him up and then I drop a killmonger on turn 6

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

I just realized Strong Guy and Apocalypse have anti-synergy. And now my Discard deck is doing okay. Sunspot is so clutch he should filter with "Discard".

Rotating location seems decent with this deck too.

What does your deck look like? I've been trying to get a Discard Apocalypse deck semi-workable since pool 1 and it constantly feels so uneven. After many tweaks, so far this is what I'm up to:

code:
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (1) Blade
# (2) Morbius
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Wolverine
# (3) Morph
# (3) Lady Sif
# (3) Sword Master
# (4) Strong Guy
# (6) Apocalypse
# (6) America Chavez 

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think I've decided the hot locations are a bad thing. While I can appreciate it makes people switch their decks up, too many of them are just too powerful to ignore and it's boring seeing them so often. Sure I could run location changers, but I don't want to.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Xtanstic posted:

What does your deck look like? I've been trying to get a Discard Apocalypse deck semi-workable since pool 1 and it constantly feels so uneven. After many tweaks, so far this is what I'm up to:

code:
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (1) Blade
# (2) Morbius
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Wolverine
# (3) Morph
# (3) Lady Sif
# (3) Sword Master
# (4) Strong Guy
# (6) Apocalypse
# (6) America Chavez 

Mine is

code:

Blade
Sif
Swordmaster
Morbius
Nova
Bucky
Sabretooth
Venom
Deathlok
Angel
Magik
Apocalypse

And it's served me well

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Xtanstic posted:

What does your deck look like?

It has 1x Stong Guy, 0x Apocalypse, 1x Sunspot, and whatever other Discard cards I have that aren't Apocalypse.

The rest of the filler crap is Carnage, Bucky, Nova, and Colossus.

Its bad and I hate it and I'm already back to trying other things until I get more "Discard" stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I think I've decided the hot locations are a bad thing. While I can appreciate it makes people switch their decks up, too many of them are just too powerful to ignore and it's boring seeing them so often. Sure I could run location changers, but I don't want to.

I wouldn't like it every day, but I'm okay with the twice-a-week schedule they're on. Sometimes they just fit in with what I'm already playing and they're great, sometimes (like this week -- no idea how best to take advantage of it) they're an interesting puzzle to be solved, and other times I might hate them and I'll just knock out my dailies real quick and wait until tomorrow.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

I'm not sure what deck archetype is best suited for exploiting the current hot location? +5 mana randomly. I've been focused on having a nice curve so I dunno what to run as a greedy deck. Some sort of Dino/card heavy deck? I'm in Pool 2 if it matters.

Yeah this one has really thrown me for a loop -- I've been relying on Sandman to counter Zoo decks which I'm seeing a lot of, but even if I can play him on turn 1 it doesn't really help me if the opponent gets to dump their whole hand on the first turn.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’m pretty slow at this- upgrading my cards? Does it do anything beyond a graphical upgrade? Is it just a collecting thing?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

virinvictus posted:

I’m pretty slow at this- upgrading my cards? Does it do anything beyond a graphical upgrade? Is it just a collecting thing?

It's just graphics for the card itself, but it increases your collection level which is how you earn new cards

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

goferchan posted:

I wouldn't like it every day, but I'm okay with the twice-a-week schedule they're on. Sometimes they just fit in with what I'm already playing and they're great, sometimes (like this week -- no idea how best to take advantage of it) they're an interesting puzzle to be solved, and other times I might hate them and I'll just knock out my dailies real quick and wait until tomorrow.

While I do think not playing is the reasonable answer I don't exactly play games like that. I play games until I'm done with them, the idea of "eh not today" doesn't really mesh with my brain well. I want to play when I want to play, as much as I want to play.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

code:
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (1) Blade
# (2) Morbius
# (2) Angela
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Wolverine
# (3) Morph
# (3) Lady Sif
# (3) Sword Master
# (4) Strong Guy
# (6) Apocalypse
# (6) America Chavez 

Strong Guy and America Chavez are anti-synergy (with Apocalypse at least), since you can't get rid of both of them on the last turn (under normal circumstances)
Apocalypse feels cool, but I've had him get Morphed or White Queened before, and both of them suck :( I wish more discard was a bit more reliable, rather than hoping (Lady Sif aside)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Artifact team must be losing their minds over the fact that a three-lane card game is wildly successful.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Movement decks are fun but are extra vulnerable to getting hosed by location. Like, if you get space throne on mid you’re turbo screwed.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Strong Guy and America Chavez are anti-synergy (with Apocalypse at least), since you can't get rid of both of them on the last turn (under normal circumstances)
Apocalypse feels cool, but I've had him get Morphed or White Queened before, and both of them suck :( I wish more discard was a bit more reliable, rather than hoping (Lady Sif aside)

Yeah Apocalypse feels so cool but doesn't feel strong enough as a win-con. My logic with Strong Guy: well I'm emptying my hand anyway, if I don't pull Apocalypse, at least maybe I'll have a buffed SG but yeah fair I can't ever fully empty my hand with Chavez and Apocalypse. America my logic is : well I know she won't clutter my hand as I'm trying to discard and pump. But yeah, in terms of "buff a big card", Moon Girl + Dino seems way better suited and more consistant. Maybe the Apocalypse deck will only work when I pull Hela. I faced a bot in Pool 1 with one (or I must have pulled it with RNG I dunno).

stev posted:

The Artifact team must be losing their minds over the fact that a three-lane card game is wildly successful.

Gwent says hello :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah Apocalypse feels so cool but doesn't feel strong enough as a win-con. My logic with Strong Guy: well I'm emptying my hand anyway, if I don't pull Apocalypse, at least maybe I'll have a buffed SG but yeah fair I can't ever fully empty my hand with Chavez and Apocalypse. America my logic is : well I know she won't clutter my hand as I'm trying to discard and pump. But yeah, in terms of "buff a big card", Moon Girl + Dino seems way better suited and more consistant. Maybe the Apocalypse deck will only work when I pull Hela. I faced a bot in Pool 1 with one (or I must have pulled it with RNG I dunno).

Hela is in Pool 3, so I suspect it must've come from The Hub or something like that. But yeah, Dino seems like an easier way to get a single big lad, maybe I should put something together now that I'm at 198. Wonder if she counts Apocalypse as discarded even though he's in hand.

One thing I'm noticing now is that the game seems relatively light on card draw. Some exists, but it's very conditional. I guess it makes sense on a 12-card deck, but would a 3-cost 4-power card with "On Reveal: Draw a card, then discard a card" or something be broken do you think?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The problem with additional card draw is that with such small decks, it would become too easy to get your combo pieces. That's why they more often opt for "draw a card from your opponent's deck" or "get a random card" kind of effects.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xtanstic posted:

Gwent says hello :colbert:

Gwent has rows, not lanes. :colbert:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Artifact is just too confusing that's why I play Marvel Artifact.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Serperoth posted:

Hela is in Pool 3, so I suspect it must've come from The Hub or something like that. But yeah, Dino seems like an easier way to get a single big lad, maybe I should put something together now that I'm at 198. Wonder if she counts Apocalypse as discarded even though he's in hand.

Morbius does get buffed each time Apocalypse is discarded, because he was discarded. But Hela and Ghost Rider do not return him to play, because the card is in your hand and not the "discarded zone".

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Game good. Snap mechanic is genius, makes ranked, which I normally hate, feel like 1 step backward, 2 steps forward in the worst of circumstances instead of the other way around.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I just got absolutely crushed despite having discarded an 11 power Swarm twice and dropping a Hulk in to boot, and it feels real bad.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Triskelion gave me Deadpool in my destroy deck which was hilarious. Played him on Murderworld after Forge, then my opponent used Killmonger, then Carnage ate him, then Deathlok blew him up into a raging behemoth, just like the comics

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

WarEternal posted:

Game good. Snap mechanic is genius, makes ranked, which I normally hate, feel like 1 step backward, 2 steps forward in the worst of circumstances instead of the other way around.

I don't think snap is as interesting as it is in theory. People generally just snap if they are clearly winning because people are boring.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 31, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The bluffing aspect is good in theory, but in practice I don't think people like seeing their rank swing eight points down even if in theory it could swing eight points back up. It doesn't help that its hard to feel like you're in a dominant position. What seems like an easy victory can abruptly change with a single Iron Man/Heimdall/Onslaught etc. So snapping only when you feel safe is the end result.

Definitely running into a lot less snapping and a lot more retreats in pool 2/rank 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think snap is as interesting as it is in theory. People generally just snap if they are clearly winning because people are boring.

2 of my last 5 games had the opponent snapping on turn 1.