Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a hard time recommending Kaiba to people because despite loving it, it seems super impenetrable at times, even for a Yuasa show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blue Labrador posted:

So my favorite shows have been The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, The Tatami Galaxy, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Can anyone recommend any Art Ho anime that are in similar veins to those? Extra points if they have queer overtones, but nowhere necessary if they have interesting characterization or animation quirkiness.

Since you enjoyed The Tatami Galaxy you should definitely hit up everything else that Masaaki Yuasa directed. They're all winners. Personally I recommend checking out Mind Game next!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've watched Penguindrum (which loving slapped), but I'll check out the rest with aplomb! I've heard great things about Princess Tutu especially, ty!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tatami Galaxy just got a literal sequel the other month too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl is also in continuity with Tatami Galaxy and is a pretty good movie

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been picked by the local anime group to pick a movie for us all to watch, but I'm unsure what to pick, partially paralyzed by indecision over choices already in my head and partially hesitating in case there's something really cool that I don't know about. The group recently saw The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl, and they quite liked the production parts of Eizouken- we're all creatives working in the video game industry, so that struck a chord. Redline and Mind Game are both films I've been thinking about already, but there's gotta be some better, wilder to see.

It does have to be a standalone film, not a series, and that's been tripping me up, too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you're going for like, technical mastery, i think weathering with you might have been the prettiest movie I've ever seen in my life. i don't know much about how they made it, but its one of the few mostly or all digital anime ive seen where i honestly think it's enhanced and made better by the technology rather than held back in some way. your name has a similar level of detail and polish, but the environments depicted are less interesting than permanently rainy sunset Tokyo

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
It's not really that obscure but Perfect Blue is one of my favorite movies of all time. Just a magnificently executed thriller. If it's not too well known with the group I highly recommend taking a look.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been picked by the local anime group to pick a movie for us all to watch, but I'm unsure what to pick, partially paralyzed by indecision over choices already in my head and partially hesitating in case there's something really cool that I don't know about. The group recently saw The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl, and they quite liked the production parts of Eizouken- we're all creatives working in the video game industry, so that struck a chord. Redline and Mind Game are both films I've been thinking about already, but there's gotta be some better, wilder to see.

It does have to be a standalone film, not a series, and that's been tripping me up, too.

Two recent, excellent movies that immediately come to my mind are On-gaku: Our Sound and Pompo the Cinephile. Both are movies about art (and Pompo spends a large chunk of time on the production side of making movies!) and both are quite stylish too.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
There are a lot of great movie options, but if the group hasn't seen Redline, why look any further?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

runawayturtles posted:

There are a lot of great movie options, but if the group hasn't seen Redline, why look any further?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Need a horror/thriller movie or single season show for tomorrow. I dont think myself or anyone that is going to be here has watched anything by Junji Ito but Im honestly not terribly familiar with his stuff so I have no idea where to start there.

Movies and shows that we have seen are mostly on the thriller side of the Halloween spectrum like Monster, Prefect Blue, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, and Erased but we have also watched some of the more common horror recs like Hellsing, Devilman Crybaby, and Gantz. Last year I made them watch Zombie Land Saga so I cant really do comedy again this year. :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Too bad there aren't enough episodes of Chainsaw Man out yet

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Need a horror/thriller movie or single season show for tomorrow. I dont think myself or anyone that is going to be here has watched anything by Junji Ito but Im honestly not terribly familiar with his stuff so I have no idea where to start there.

Movies and shows that we have seen are mostly on the thriller side of the Halloween spectrum like Monster, Prefect Blue, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, and Erased but we have also watched some of the more common horror recs like Hellsing, Devilman Crybaby, and Gantz. Last year I made them watch Zombie Land Saga so I cant really do comedy again this year. :v:

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (the 2000 film)

Unfortunately all of the Junji ito movies/shows suck rear end and don't capture the vibe of his manga properly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ofaloaf posted:

Pompo the Cinephile is about making a Hollywood movie and has some pretty imaginative flourishes for its animation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish the ending of Perfect Blue didn't suck the life out of everything with that bizarre happy ending.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:thunk: How about... Millenium Actress

Paprika is another Satoshi Kon movie that would likely appeal to ~creatives~ a lot, but I feel like it loses steam by the final act.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SexyBlindfold posted:

:thunk: How about... Millenium Actress

Paprika is another Satoshi Kon movie that would likely appeal to ~creatives~ a lot, but I feel like it loses steam by the final act.

It's really good but unfortunately due to being tortured with it in anime club I've seen it probably 30 times and would rather die than even think about that movie again lol.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Roujin Z is pretty cool I'd recommend that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That one's funny, too.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Just finished The Perfect Insider and thought it was a very well made and satisfying traditional style murder-mystery.

Does anyone know any other shows that have the same sort of who-dunnit detective feel? I know it's a popular genre for novels in Japan, but haven't heard of any other anime like that.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Just finished The Perfect Insider and thought it was a very well made and satisfying traditional style murder-mystery.

Does anyone know any other shows that have the same sort of who-dunnit detective feel? I know it's a popular genre for novels in Japan, but haven't heard of any other anime like that.

Hyouka and Mononoke are the best detective animes imo but they're both pretty nontraditional in approach, in different ways

Mouryou no Hako is a mystery novel adaptation that i liked, might be closer to what you're looking for

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manga rather than anime, and not sure if it's a tonal match since I haven't seen Perfect Insider, but Q.E.D. and its spinoff C.M.B. will give you enough whodunnit murders to last you a long time.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

Blue Labrador posted:

So my favorite shows have been The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, The Tatami Galaxy, and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Can anyone recommend any Art Ho anime that are in similar veins to those? Extra points if they have queer overtones, but nowhere necessary if they have interesting characterization or animation quirkiness.

Princess Tutu rules, it has incredibly charming characters, a compelling plot, and a score that’s classical bangers all the way down. HUGE recommend.

Yurikuma Arashi and Sarazanmai feel like companion pieces to one another, and each has some fascinating worldbuilding and very interesting things to say about love, connection, and interpersonal relationships. Also both are gay as hell and Sarazanmai has possibly the best English dub of any Ikuhara series.

Galaxy Express 999 loving slaps, it’s beautiful and sad and hopeful and In Space, and Adieu Galaxy Express also rules. Likewise Arcadia of My Youth is very Art and somewhat Gay (the two main characters have a extended flashback to memories of their ancestors meeting that’s like embedded at the cellular level) and if you like it you should absolutely watch SSX Endless Orbit.

Haibane Renmei is a weird and wonderful short series about people in a town that might be limbo for souls not quite ready to move on from their own deaths, but that said, it’s an incredibly hopeful story with themes of learning to accept help and forgive yourself. It will likely make you cry.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh, thank you all for the recommendations! They all look sweet- Pompo and On-gaku are both movies I was totally unaware, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Penguin Highway and The Eccentric Family are based on novels by the same writer as Tatami Galaxy. Not the same thing, but they might be worth a look.

Eccentric Family is about a family of Tanuki in Kyoto getting into intrigues and trying to avoid being eaten, while Penguin Highway is a bit FLCL in that it's about an elementary schooler trying to grow up too fast in a small town where weird, possibly world ending events just kicked off.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not anime, but what’s supposed to be the appeal of the Spice and Wolf LN? I read the first and it seems pretty average.

Or, it supposed to be like a cute high-school reading or maybe some later depth that’s worth continuing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

economics and a slow burn romance between two adults

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Long term I would also say that S&W does a good job of building up the world and how the main couple relate to it to the point where by the final books the characters have ingratiated themselves into some really big players and inner circles and so the gambits they have to pull off become more and more impressive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One Piece Film Red is in the theatres here, that any good for some fun spectacle?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One Piece Film Red is in the theatres here, that any good for some fun spectacle?

Not only is it good, but it has the most spectacle out of any One Piece movie.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's got good music at the very least. The fights and plot didn't do much for me though, and they'd probably do even less if you don't know who all the characters are.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
For pepole who've seen the entire Monogatari series, can you tell me which is it closer in tone to: Bake, Kizu or Nise?

I was really impressed and engaged with Bake and the Kizu movies as a whole were a very special experience.

But I thought Nise was very meh. There's some good stuff in there and I actually enjoyed most of the banter, but I wouldn't be able to survive like 3 more seasons of Nise, that's for sure. It just feels meaningless, way too light on emotional engagement and character development.

So should I keep watching or no?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The season that is after Nise ("Monogatari Second Season" or whatever silly name it's called) is the best set of stories IMO in all of Monogatari, especially the final arc Koimonogatari. The rest that follows Second Season isn't as good but I think is still a lot better than Nise which I think most people would call the nadir, so yeah ultimately I'd say the rest of the stories are closer to Bake.

E: FWIW this is the list of arcs, you also have Neko Black as part of the first season which is fine enough and certainly not as bad as Nise overall

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 24, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For pepole who've seen the entire Monogatari series, can you tell me which is it closer in tone to: Bake, Kizu or Nise?

I was really impressed and engaged with Bake and the Kizu movies as a whole were a very special experience.

But I thought Nise was very meh. There's some good stuff in there and I actually enjoyed most of the banter, but I wouldn't be able to survive like 3 more seasons of Nise, that's for sure. It just feels meaningless, way too light on emotional engagement and character development.

nise is the weakest season by pretty much any metric. there's some arcs that resemble it later on but not entire seasons, and those later arcs are better at being somewhat light while still having character development and such.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Endorph posted:

economics and a slow burn romance between two adults

Nate RFB posted:

Long term I would also say that S&W does a good job of building up the world and how the main couple relate to it to the point where by the final books the characters have ingratiated themselves into some really big players and inner circles and so the gambits they have to pull off become more and more impressive.

Do the beats change from like:

Act 1: Do a commerce
Act 2: A problem doing a commerce
Act 3: Wolf things

I finished the first two books, and am wondering if something changes here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sometimes the problems doing commerce tie into wolf things

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I would definitely say yes keep watching. Nise is easily the weakest season, and like Nate said, right around the corner is all the second season stuff which is among the strongest stuff in the entire series. I also think that final season is pretty good too, about on par with bake as a whole.

But to actually answer your question about tone, I'd say s2 is closest to bake, and final season is a more mature tone, really it's own thing, but kind of a mix of all 3 as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do the beats change from like:

Act 1: Do a commerce
Act 2: A problem doing a commerce
Act 3: Wolf things

I finished the first two books, and am wondering if something changes here.
Sometimes there are problems doing a religion, which may tangentially involve commerce in that that's the in that Lawrence has into most of these groups but still ultimately are not about making money per se.

Related the sequel Wolf & Parchment is almost entirely about solving church issues rather than economics (and I think is worse off for it tbh).

E: Also the group dynamic does change a little bit as they gain a permanent third member that travels with them after a point.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thank you everyone, going to keep watching then and hope for good things.