Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Having the ear itself deflate and collapse as the wax is removed is a nice touch. Though maybe he's just yanked the cartilage out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
All-Negro Comics vol. 1 (1947)

Ezekiel's Manhunt

Lion Man

Bubba!! :argh:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
this is Stardust the Super Wizard as hell

like the name Dr. Blut Sangro, and "an atom bomb that could destroy the world", and he's got fuckin radar he sweeps around

Ace Harlem was good but this is kickin rad

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's some fake rear end Lion Man.

Here's the real deal:

(I'm not going to post more)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

The three foot tall pope, trawling the open ocean for unsuspecting boats.

Today's update was pretty inscrutable even for Joost

It was glorious.

What the HECK is going on re: anatomy here?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tree Bucket posted:

Anatomy is happening

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Bucket posted:

Solid thread title contender

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

I recently saw someone put it perfectly as "it's like jazz but with muscles and bones"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is Stardust the Super Wizard as hell

like the name Dr. Blut Sangro, and "an atom bomb that could destroy the world", and he's got fuckin radar he sweeps around

Ace Harlem was good but this is kickin rad
Yeah! Lion Man is probably my favorite one, he rules

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

More His Face All Red

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Feels like this one should have come right before the Super Saiyan Fart comic

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It was glorious.

I Just Cant Stop Staring at That Man's Perfect rear end

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
does Ronnie read this thread?

https://twitter.com/RonnieFilyaw/status/1586437430277820417

Boba Pearl posted:

but the idea is, this episode next episode that's starting has 3 story lines happening simultaneously, and I wanted to do a page or two from each one So at the beginning of the week, there'd be an update from the Cop's PoV, then 2 episodes from Casey and Lydia's PoV, and then 1 or 2 episode from a PoV we'll see Monday (I try not to update on weekends, but sometimes I can't help myself.)

I genuinely have trouble following this comic's storyline anyway so it probably makes not a lick of difference, you've got a solid setting and characters though so does it work to suddenly be changing POVs? Not to say it can't be done, but I'm reading it, and I probably wouldn't if it was suddenly all about the cop or someone else. Casey and Lydia are hardly developed as characters so switching so early, idk. Unless you intend it to happen regularly. I also find your font and speech bubble backgrounds very hard to focus on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol Ronnie

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I cant believe Bubba gave Lion Man the ol' Zulu Hotfoot!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm busting my brain trying to figure out how this would work in a comic, where people read day to day, and still be even somewhat followable, or an archive read, but the idea is, this episode next episode that's starting has 3 story lines happening simultaneously, and I wanted to do a page or two from each one So at the beginning of the week, there'd be an update from the Cop's PoV, then 2 episodes from Casey and Lydia's PoV, and then 1 or 2 episode from a PoV we'll see Monday (I try not to update on weekends, but sometimes I can't help myself.)

With custom coding on the site, I could just make it so you click a category and read each PoV at once, or in release order, on the forums though, that's not really an option, that said, I get an e-mail every 2 or 3 days, so unless it's like a single crazy person registering as many emails as possible, I know people are reading on release.

Would it be better to have two quotes? One for release order, and one for PoV order? Or would that gum up the thread? I've been largely trying to be unobtrusive, since I appreciate the privilege to post my stuff even though it's a bit at ends with what either webcomic thread really does.

Honestly my main impulse is that switching pov like that sounds really annoying and confusing and you shouldn't do it? You're either going to get a lot of repetition or you're going to be telling three different stories in an extremely disjointed way. It seems like a bad idea

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm really glad I asked, because while I saw it in Transdimensional brain chip, actually drafting the pages looks a bit messy, and if the story is still kind of hard to follow, then telling it 2 panels at a time across 3 different locations, is going to make things soo so much worse.

E: The straight shooting is appreciated. I was pretty sure I had fixed how hard it was to follow and who Lydia and Casey are as characters, but I am at a great point to give them full focus, and really nail home their personalities.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Maybe just use it for one page as a dramatic reaction to an event. just brainstorming

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Here's another flashback, possibly right after Vasenka was recruited.
Witch Vasenka's War Chapter 18: Kikimora's Looking After the House

Bonus page

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

I read the full archive of pop team epic the other night and a lot of it is japanese culture references that I don't get. Maybe half of them in total I could understand what's going on and half of that half I could get as a joke. There were way more than I expected as well. A lot of the punchlines are the short one calling someone a mother fucker with an exagerrated facial expression.

What I'm getting at is it's probably not a great pick for posting every page start to finish and I might just do what Thunderbeast is doing and post a few comics at night aside from the long-form stories i post during the day.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I read the full archive of pop team epic the other night and a lot of it is japanese culture references that I don't get. Maybe half of them in total I could understand what's going on and half of that half I could get as a joke. There were way more than I expected as well. A lot of the punchlines are the short one calling someone a mother fucker with an exagerrated facial expression.

What I'm getting at is it's probably not a great pick for posting every page start to finish and I might just do what Thunderbeast is doing and post a few comics at night aside from the long-form stories i post during the day.

just post the funny ones when you see em. There's literally zero pressure here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually, I'm planning to start reporting every comic posted here that I don't enjoy, pressure's really gonna be ramping up.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually, I'm planning to start reporting every comic posted here that I don't enjoy, pressure's really gonna be ramping up.

Yeah the pressure to ban you for making the mods look at a bunch of lovely comics!!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Good thing no one would ever dislike the jokes about history and Canada from Hark! A Vagrant, so this post is free from the threat of being reported.

I have always felt a certain connection to the events of the Massacre of Glencoe. My mother was a Campbell, my father’s mother was a MacDonald. Assuming hard feelings on all sides, I should be obliged by honor to avenge myself, and so, kill myself. The area in Cape Breton where I grew up is also called -surprise - Glencoe.

My grandfather was a very proud Campbell, his father’s Highland history books are a rare heirloom in a family fairly short of heirlooms that I am proud to own. So in spite of what the comic suggests I never believed the whole “Campbells were the bad guys” in this situation, and it was an early lesson in how the way history that is made popular does not always line up with the truth.

There is a very nice little documentary on the topic, which you know I always like to find conveniently on youtube.

You’d think given my background and hometown there would be more Scottish comics in this joint. Suas leis a’ Gh’idhlig, see, I have not forgotten.

Canadians have it good. Of all the stereotypes in the world, being branded as polite and extraordinarily nice is maybe the best deal anyone got.

All jokes aside, there is definite point to make about the Northwest Mounted Police. For all the parody they endure, there was a marked difference between the wild west of America and the wild west of Canada, and that was the Mounties, an organized and intelligent law enforcement- organized being the operative word. Look further into their history, you won’t be disappointed.

The grouchiest, stinkiest man in Greece. Thanks Dylan!

After watching both 1776 the Musical and John Adams the miniseries, it appears that no one will let John Adams have any fun during the revolution! UNFAIR

This comic is very silly and is about letting John Adams have fun for once

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also i hear Jeffrey's sending around a thread auditor to evaluate post quality and other KPIs

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

thetoughestbean posted:

The Unwomanly Face of War

Chapter 3 Part 4

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna post the very first comic and then just whatever I feel like. I might skip a couple per chapter or entire chapters lets see what we've got:

annoy your friends with mild physical discomfort, what are they gonna do hold it against you?

some of them are just relentlessly cute. no punchline no moral.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiaC0jpQ4Kg

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The main thing I remember about Pop Team Epic is when someone posted the car wrap.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Does anyone who draws in clip studio draw on vector layers? I just figured this poo poo out and it's amazing for making smoother lines and prevents you from having to redraw the same line over and over since it just lets you manipulate the line in all kinds of crazy ways. I wish I had more time to practice drawing I feel like I only know like 1% of the program. We all wish we had more free time for hobbies tho

If you're using vector lines by the way, and you have a little nubbin you can't erase, set your brush to transparent, and you'll wipe out that little nubbin with a brush stroke. I always set to invisble instead of erase, unless I'm erasing up to intersections, because it makes the part I erase match the line / texture of my work better.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Glad to see Emily Carroll being posted. His Face All Red is excellent, but another comic of hers (Out of Skin) is one of my all-time favourite comics, period.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Pop team epic got an anime adaptation with some incredibly weird format decisions. I feel like that's the only way to keep the authentic chaotic energy

One of their running jokes is 'yeah we're going to completely gently caress up our studio budget doing this show'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d0n7mXPMG4

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And that's the end of Ace Harlem! Next up: a short story titled Ezekiel's Manhunt, then Lion Man!

This is from 1947 right? Just wanna note how fresh and real the dialogue feels even now...and how different and horrible dialogue attributed to black characters have been in the 20th C and even now.

Imagine a world where this was an entire comic industry. It would have been so much better, without the laughable black representation written by people white as hell.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ace Harlem is the detective we should have got instead of all those lovely blaxploitation flicks.

The Guy From Harlem is available for free on the Rifftrax YouTube channel and it's goofy AF.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm really glad I asked, because while I saw it in Transdimensional brain chip, actually drafting the pages looks a bit messy, and if the story is still kind of hard to follow, then telling it 2 panels at a time across 3 different locations, is going to make things soo so much worse.

E: The straight shooting is appreciated. I was pretty sure I had fixed how hard it was to follow and who Lydia and Casey are as characters, but I am at a great point to give them full focus, and really nail home their personalities.

It works in TDBC because the whole story revolves around it, it's introduced as a storytelling mechanism and an in-comic phenomenon at the same time so the reader easily understands what's happening, and it's done repeatedly so the reader knows to expect it. That's not to say that the split panel format can't work in other settings, but it's basically the entire gimmick of TDBC both as a narrative and as a comic format so doing it as a one-off can't just copy what worked for Thorsby, it has to find a way that works on its own.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I recently saw someone put it perfectly as "it's like jazz but with muscles and bones"

Yeah, that's it.

I Just Cant Stop Staring at That Man's Perfect rear end

Alas,

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Pop team epic got an anime adaptation with some incredibly weird format decisions. I feel like that's the only way to keep the authentic chaotic energy

AC-bu's Hellshake Yano skit epitomizes this, just phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLlneFefuo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

It works in TDBC because the whole story revolves around it, it's introduced as a storytelling mechanism and an in-comic phenomenon at the same time so the reader easily understands what's happening, and it's done repeatedly so the reader knows to expect it. That's not to say that the split panel format can't work in other settings, but it's basically the entire gimmick of TDBC both as a narrative and as a comic format so doing it as a one-off can't just copy what worked for Thorsby, it has to find a way that works on its own.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I had watched pulp fiction for the first time before writing this particular part, and I was doing my internal checks before I put it to canvas or paper or whatever and I was kind of 50/50 on it after sitting around for a bit thinking of it.

The next episode is going to drop any color I can't see as well, because I kind of just... want to see what that looks like I guess. Also it's a lot easier lmao.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Posting Poptepipic without posting Hoshiiro Girldrop first, shameful.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
CONTENT WARNING:
Suicide

Demon
Chapter 1.06

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah same