Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

therobit posted:

From r/legaladvice

I was completely, blindsided- what do I do? & can I go home?

Most of the comments at the top were reasonable, specific to her situation advice, but there was a really great one a ways down which is why I’m posting it. Call it anticipatory schadenfruede over what could happen to this guy.

Holy hell I'm gonna want follow ups for this one :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
militaryspouse.txt

Agree, that post has the potential for some very good updates.

AITA for refusing to eat with food utensils at a restaurant?

quote:

Last Friday, I (20M) went to go eat at a restaurant with some friends. We all sat at the table & we ordered food. I ordered a steak with potatoes mac & cheese and other stuff. The problem started when I started eating my food with my hands. I don't eat food using food utensils. I've been eating like this since forever, it's kinda like a sensory thing, putting metal stuff in my mouth makes me uncomfortable.

My friends were really weirded out by this & said that I was embarrassing them because some people were looking at our table weirdly. They kept on telling me to eat with the fork because I shouldn't be eating with my hands because it's disgusting & that I'm not a baby or an animal. I still refused and continued to eat with my hands.

Eventually we were all done eating & we left the restaurant. On the way to the car, my friends kept telling me that I embarrassed them & that I need to get better food manners. I told them that it doesn't loving matter how I eat my food because I did not make a mess & I was clean with it. They later told me that they wouldn't be inviting me to go with them to any restaurants in the future (They were joking though lol)

Was I the rear end in a top hat here?

Little Junior Brown's reddit account:

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 30, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for trying to tell my son to man up?

This is basically the advice my dad tried to give me about being bulled and unpopular in school, and about fitting into the workplace.

He still wonders why my mom left him and why my sister and I no longer talk to him anymore. :v

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

Holy hell I'm gonna want follow ups for this one :munch:

I love the comment that says that he'll basically be ordered by his commanding officer to sign the paperwork to update her ID if he tries to use her expired ID as a reason to keep her off base.

Invisible Clergy posted:

militaryspouse.txt

Agree, that post has the potential for some very good updates.

AITA for refusing to eat with food utensils at a restaurant?

Little Junior Brown's reddit account:

Somehow the idea of using wood or plastic utensils isn't an option.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

that guy definitely did not wash his hands before starting either

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Andrast posted:

that guy definitely did not wash his hands before starting either

This filth golem has never washed his hands.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for going to a restaurant she likes, but I don’t order food?

okay, so i just learned that all bread is made of wheat

What happens if someone takes this kid to a bakery that uses rye bread?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

This filth golem has never washed his hands.

it doesn't matter if i wiped my hands are clean enough i don't need to wash them!!!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

quantumwell posted:

It's so highly processed that it's tough to consider it beef, most of the nutritional value is lost. It's more like
meat glue to adjust the fat ratios in hamburger. Mostly people were upset that they didn't know it was in
their McDonalds burger. The industry was making a ton of it too. The process is forbidden in the EU

That's because idiotic Europeans didn't/don't understand the concept of using all of the animal.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That's because idiotic Europeans didn't/don't understand the concept of using all of the animal.

I'm not eating this mediocre bait, into the trash it goes!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
DO NOT unspoiler the ages nor duration of the relationship.

My boyfriend (34m) of 12 years has dumped me (32f) for the dumbest reason. What should I do?

quote:

I've been with my boyfriend since March 2010, he was 22 back then, and I was 20. We both thought it wouldn't last so long, we started off as ''friends who were attracted to each other'' but day after day we realized we had a lot of chemistry and we caught feelings for each other. My boyfriend has always been a really handsome man, he has never explicitly bragged about his appearance, but he takes a lot of pride in that. He always talks about how he has rejected different women (and he's not lying about it) because ''hey, I'm not that easy, I don't drool over every woman who crosses my path''. He does this because he knows he's very attractive and he wants people to think ''look at me, I'm very attractive and hard to get'' but he does it in a way that doesn't piss people off, whenever we hang out with friends and we end up talking about dating life, sexuality or anything of that sort, he always talks about how he needs time to warm up, how he only cares about what a woman is like on the inside, how he doesn't care when he sees a random girl showing ''some skin''.

Other people are actually impressed by that, I have a female friend who secretly likes him because ''ahhh, he's good-looking and he's not shallow''. But I've spent more time around my boyfriend and at this point I've realized that he only says these things because he likes playing hard to get.

Anyway, I've always been a very skinny girl, but lately I've put on some weight and I've realized I look better with some extra weight because it accentuates my tits. I posted a picture on social media two days ago, a picture of my cleavage and I kinda quoted Taylor Swift's line ''draw the cat eye sharp enough to kill a man'' and turned it into ''a cleavage hot enough to kill a man''. He immediately got mad, he's popular on social media (and in real life as well) because he really likes talking a lot. He was like ''oh no, this ruins my reputation'' and he immediately shared a post in which he said that he was going to break up with me and he even said ''she has been dressing like a th*t lately and as a man, I'm smart enough to deserve better''.

So, we've been together for 12 years, he was showeing me with love and appreciation until I shared that post, as soon as he saw that post he decided to dump me, he kicked me out of his apartment and he won't even answer my texts.

I'm honestly very hurt and lowkey traumatized. Maybe a stupid question, but I need some support... would I be disrespecting myself if I tried to at least talk to him? If he's been with me for so long, it's because he genuinely was into me, I'm not the only one who has ever wanted him... I don't think someone can stop loving their so in a second, I wasn't expecting this from him.

TL;DR boyfriend of 12 years got mad because of a post I shared and decided to break up with me

It's the most absolutely humdrum story, but I'm positive the OP is fibbing about the ages and duration as this poo poo comes straight out of high school, right? I must be the oldest loving man on the planet if emancipated adults are acting like this nowadays.

ninja edit: Re-reading it... they're in their low twenties, right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t get the point if the first two paragraphs?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

YTA for reminding me that 2010 was that long ago. :corsair:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Serephina posted:

My boyfriend (34m) of 12 years has dumped me (32f) for the dumbest reason. What should I do?

It's the most absolutely humdrum story, but I'm positive the OP is fibbing about the ages and duration as this poo poo comes straight out of high school, right? I must be the oldest loving man on the planet if emancipated adults are acting like this nowadays.

Nah, those ages sound plausible. Remember, a lot of people don't grow up. They grow old.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he were looking to break up for a while and just went for a cheap excuse.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t get the point if the first two paragraphs?

She's establishing that he frequently says he doesn't care about appearance, despite the fact he's breaking up over her dressing like a "th*t."

He was always going to be the AH, but that stuff just makes it extra AH-y.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

What is a “th*t”?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have sensory problems with metal in my mouth too but it had never in a million years occurred to me to just eat with my hands in a goddamn public place, wtf. Do what you want at home but in a restaurant you're gonna have to either bring wooden/bamboo cutlery with you or just suck it up.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

killerwhat posted:

What is a “th*t”?

That Ho Over There.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

hopeandjoy posted:

It was the former. People mad processed meat contains the little bit of meat that’s stuck to the bones that they power washed off and also did ammonia rinses with to kill the bacteria.

Processed meats have always been the scraps and I’d rather they use the scraps than throw out food.

'it's just meat slime stewed in ammonia! it's perfectly edible, people are so picky'

somehow this doesn't feel in the spirit of 'eating every part of the animal' and it seems pretty disingenuous to try and make that connection or connect it to food waste, especially when the US actually has a problem with an overabundance of meat.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 30, 2022

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

killerwhat posted:

What is a “th*t”?

"Thot", originally an acronym meaning That Ho Over There. One of the worst things you can call someone. Also, it's the slang word that broke me and made me accept that language changes.

I'll never accept Hims, though, and I'm still kinda mad about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Woozie66 posted:

She's establishing that he frequently says he doesn't care about appearance, despite the fact he's breaking up over her dressing like a "th*t."

He was always going to be the AH, but that stuff just makes it extra AH-y.

But you can do that in a sentence rather than gushing about how hot he is and how her friends want to gently caress him

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My long-term girlfriend in her thirties is SUDDENLY A THOT!!!!

Glad the dude has so much self-respect, good work bro, that will be sustainable and you won't die alone after trashing every perfectly normal woman you end up with

I'd be a little more on his side if he cited posting cringe as his reason for dumping her

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'it's just meat slime stewed in ammonia! it's perfectly edible, people are so picky'

somehow this doesn't feel in the spirit of 'eating every part of the animal' and it seems pretty disingenuous to try and make that connection or connect it to food waste, especially when the US actually has a problem with an overabundance of meat.

No one gives a gently caress. Eat your slurry.

CharlestheHammer posted:

But you can do that in a sentence rather than gushing about how hot he is and how her friends want to gently caress him

If it weren't for the self-awareness that the boyfriend just likes playing hard to get and being desired, I'd swear that entire post was incel bait about how "A good-looking, independent man who doesn't take poo poo is like totally a double standard and women won't support him if he holds the women in his life to the same standards a good-looking, independent woman would."

But nah it tracks. If dude was 20 and only dated one equally vacuous woman for 12 years, I can see how that'd lead to a sort of ingrown, arrested development where sexy instagram photos are signs of a TH-TH-TH-TH-TH-THOT!

Sad thing is if the dude is charismatic/good-looking, odds are pretty solid he'll just scoop up some equally naive thing in her late teens/twenties and repeat the cycle, or worse. Madonna/Whore complexes are so loving basic y'all.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2022

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey I just answered your question

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey, at least this one is actually establishing why the OP was in a long-term relationship with a jerk.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

erosion posted:

"Thot", originally an acronym meaning That Ho Over There. One of the worst things you can call someone. Also, it's the slang word that broke me and made me accept that language changes.

What is Hims?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

erosion posted:

One of the worst things you can call someone.

:dafuq:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

erosion posted:

Wait. Hims is something other than a company selling male beauty products and a word you use when speaking in baby talk about a little dog? The ad for the beauty product company cracked me up because I have only used the word in sentences like,”oh my! Look at him’s leedle foots!” or “Oh! Him’s so tuff babby dog!”…now that I think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever used the word in person. Just commenting on pet pictures where I feel only really stupid words will convey the giddiness the pictures inspire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Let me expand. "That woman who thinks too much of herself and thinks she is hot and is getting too much attention from men". Also expanding "ho" would probably help you figure out what is going on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Michaeldim posted:

I know the $800 pen story was a while ago but I just read it. I was wondering what the hoopla was about the Montblanc pens was so I went to their website and was greeted immediately with this and :lol:

The timing/price don't quite match up but I wanna imagine they got a $800 Naruto pen now :allears:

Worse.

Also, this absolute cheese ankle spent $800 on a ballpoint.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Bored posted:

Wait. Hims is something other than a company selling male beauty products and a word you use when speaking in baby talk about a little dog? The ad for the beauty product company cracked me up because I have only used the word in sentences like,”oh my! Look at him’s leedle foots!” or “Oh! Him’s so tuff babby dog!”…now that I think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever used the word in person. Just commenting on pet pictures where I feel only really stupid words will convey the giddiness the pictures inspire.

It is exactly that, a telemedicine brand, which includes the brand 'Hims and Hers'. I posted about it a while ago and was informed that Language Changes, actually.

Speaking of supplements:

AITA for telling my sister that the karen phytoplankton supplements she sells are snake-oil and have no medical value?

quote:

My sister has six daughters. My oldest niece is 16. My youngest niece is starting school in September so my sister started looking for a part-time job. She found something but it isn't a legitimate job. It is some kind MLM or "consulting" job selling/promoting karen phytoplankton supplements. The science and nutritional claims made by these supplements are completely false. I'm a hematologist and these supplements do not make any difference or treat any of the problems they claim to.

My sister truly believes in the supplements. There is a whole marketing campaign about how "karen" is the goddess of nature, is being kept a secret from the world by people who don't want to share her and how the karen memes are a distraction to keep the world from knowing the "truth" about her. My sister has completely bought into this even though the supplements are useless and have no medical value.

My parents asked me not to say anything to my sister because this is the first job she has ever had in her life and she was happy about finally being able to contribute financially. Also she thinks it means her and my brother-in-law will be able to rely on my parents and his parents a little less. When I talked to my sister about the supplements being a scam she got mad and my brother-in-law and my parents think I'm being too hard on her. My brother-in-law asked me to try and be supportive because my sister was so proud of herself when she got the job. But it isn't a real job and she's selling snake-oil. I found out about her job because she said I could offer them to my patients at the hospital who were having medical issues the supplements claim to solve. If I did that I would get fired not to mention letting my patients down and putting my medical licence in jeopardy.

I thought when I told my sister, brother-in-law and parents that the supplements are a scam they would believe me instead of defending them and saying my sister's job is a real job. They aren't normally anti-science or anti-medicine. They are all vaccinated, took the pandemic seriously and have never fallen for snake-oil stuff before. My parents said I should have out a sister before being a doctor because I really hurt her when I said the supplements are a scam. They say it isn't about medicine but about family.

(I'm 33 years and my sister is 34 years old.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for not attending my daughter’s college graduation?

quote:

I divorced my ex wife when our daughter was in grade school. My daughter and I have had a rocky relationship since I can remember and I do admit I could have been more present when she was growing up. We never connected like I did with my son; my son played sports I enjoyed and he was just warmer to me when he and my daughter would spend weekends at my house.

My daughter is very hardworking, smart, athletic, but there were times, I admit, I was hard on her. My now wife used to give her a hard time about always being hungry when she was growing up and playing soccer and track and I admit I have made comments about her body that I wish I shouldn’t have as she has never had a problem with weight. My daughter resented us for years because of this but I think we’ve started to make peace with the past.

Like I said my daughter is very athletic and smart and after high school she ended up getting into her dream school for sports and academics. During her growth years I often times felt closer to servers at breakfast restaurants I frequented than my daughter, and I became close with one server in particular. He was a great kid who was into film and I even invested into his filming projects and attended showings and other events.

Fast forward to recent - I was invited to his college graduation that is 4 hours away and decided to attend to support him.

I however chose to not attend my daughter’s graduation that was a week or two after my friend’s graduation. Her college is about 5 hours away from where I live and at the time I just couldn’t make the trip due to other obligations. She also said she wasn’t keen on walking in the ceremony and didn’t make a big deal about it so I assumed it would be fine if I skipped. However she’s now giving me the cold shoulder because she found out i attended a “restaurant server’s” graduation (he’s also a great friend) and not hers.

Since we haven’t been close I didn’t think much of it but she is obviously upset and I worry we are not ever going to have a good relationship. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

ETA: I have apologized for things I have said in the past, and so has my wife, but she still has a hard time accepting my apology because she thinks I’m superficial for judging her by what she eats and what her body looks like. I can’t help it but I was judged for this by my parents as well and maybe that is being projected on to her. I just want her to be healthy. I am proud of her but I find she is so unpredictable and hot headed and will talk to me sometimes and then cut me out or stop answering my texts without warning. She also has mentioned she hasn’t made peace with the fact that I divorced her mom (my ex wife) and married the mistress, even though my ex has made peace with it and we are all friends.

ETA 2: These comments are hitting hard and I do have guilt for what’s happened and it hurts that I’ve made her so sad again. For so long I felt like I was doing a good job with the child support and paying for her sports etc and also paying for my ex wife to go to school to become a teacher. My daughter’s schooling was funded by grants and scholarships she received for grades and sports. I really am proud of her success in school and becoming a hall of fame athlete at her college and I have a lot of making up to do. I also want to point out that my good relationship with my son and my “server” friend is not due to them being male and I’m mot a misogynist. I’m just trying to get some insight into how I can reconnect with my daughter.

So So much to unpack. I can't wait till he's confused why she didn't ask him to walk her down the aisle...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Is the server his new mistress? Or whatever thr masculine declension of that is. Paramour? Kept man?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hughlander posted:

So So much to unpack. I can't wait till he's confused why she didn't ask him to walk her down the aisle...

Some men just think being a good dad begins and ends with a wallet, huh.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

erosion posted:

It is exactly that, a telemedicine brand, which includes the brand 'Hims and Hers'. I posted about it a while ago and was informed that Language Changes, actually.

Speaking of supplements:

AITA for telling my sister that the karen phytoplankton supplements she sells are snake-oil and have no medical value?

it's me I came up with the Karen meme to hide the truth. now I get all the delicious kelp for myself. now excuse me while I wrap myself up like a sea otter and float around for a bit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

Lol, this guy's great. Between finding a new restaurant son he actually cares about and just casually dropping in "oh btw, I dumped her mom for the mistress but we're over it, no idea what her problem is", just a class act all around.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

erosion posted:

Speaking of supplements:

Your sister got her first job at 34?

Yeah your parents are perfectly fine with you dumpstering your career to coddle her because any money she's pulling in is money they don't have to give her.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Hughlander posted:

can't imagine why my daughter never warmed up to me.
I tried to initiate conversations, for example telling her she was fat. but she's just so closed off.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Some motherfuckers never hit a single speedbump on the way to the upper working class and holy gently caress you can tell.

"My daughter is talented, intelligent, hard-working, athletic, and beautiful. I have no interest in being a part of her life. Who could blame me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

"For so long I felt like I was doing a good job with the child support and paying for her sports etc and also paying for my ex wife to go to school to become a teacher."

No you're doing great, dad, just keep shelling out money and the love will come, that's all anyone is asking for after all