Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

In this case, it looks like Tawnos is actually him far after the war, having survived the battle by using his Coffin. Which always made me wonder why Tawnos' Coffin appears to depict a woman with red hair. This brings so much into question. In this ten thousand word essay I will explain...

quote:

During the final battle of the Brothers' War on Argoth, Ashnod and Tawnos were confronted by the demon Gix. Ashnod passed the sylex to Tawnos, who conveyed it to Urza while she held off the Phyrexian demon. Immediately prior, Urza had sparked during a face-to-face duel with his brother, and had become acutely aware of the scope of the damage the war had done to the land itself. In remorse, he activated the sylex.

The ensuing Sylex Blast destroyed both armies and the island of Argoth. Ashnod survived by unknown means, and around 80 AR founded a school of mages near Ronom Lake with Tawnos. Here she was known as Nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Got my first taste of cEDH today and concluded that I don't enjoy it. My friends seemed to like it though, so at least there's that. But if I have to occasionally suffer through a game or two in order to get people onboard with proxies then I'm okay with it. I felt bad for the one guy who just brought a vampire tribal deck and was trying to play a good honest game of Magic while the other two players besides me were setting up their game-ending combos. But he took it all in stride and they're gonna help him build a cEDH deck to play with next time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's not cEDH unless everyone is on board with it. It just doesn't really work (and simply isn't fun) otherwise.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Framboise posted:

It's not cEDH unless everyone is on board with it. It just doesn't really work (and simply isn't fun) otherwise.

Had a guy join a table today on xmage with Tevesh and Rograkh, say he wasn't playing a cEDH deck when I commented on it, then proceed play nothing but cEDH staple cards

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's pubstomping, not cEDH. We don't claim them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

Yeah, that's pubstomping, not cEDH. We don't claim them.

Dude played an LED and I made the "Jim stares at the camera" face from The Office.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This might be unfair of me, but Tevesh + Rograkh by themselves are literally only paired in cEDH lists, there really isn’t any reason you’d be running them at a fair table. Rograkh kind of ONLY works in cEDH, where you can abuse the free legendary creature.

I understand not everyone has a home playgroup, but playing drop in games of commander with completely random people online seems like it would just be this exact experience, ad infinitum, just people coming in to pubstomp.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

This might be unfair of me, but Tevesh + Rograkh by themselves are literally only paired in cEDH lists, there really isn’t any reason you’d be running them at a fair table. Rograkh kind of ONLY works in cEDH, where you can abuse the free legendary creature.

I understand not everyone has a home playgroup, but playing drop in games of commander with completely random people online seems like it would just be this exact experience, ad infinitum, just people coming in to pubstomp.

People usually put up table names specifying whether a game is cEDH or what sorts of things they don't want to see. I think this table said "7 or 8 power". I never know what that means so I just played a non-cEDH deck that had tutors and some decent amount of interaction in it. That other player should just have owned up to it instead of trying to pretend like they weren't playing what they were playing, lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You should have to submit Decklists that your opponents can agree to before playing, I can’t think of any other way to do it.

“Searching for players… Player 2 found… decklist: ——“
“Oh ok, that looks good!” or “oh gosh Tergrid with Winter Orb and Smokestack?? LoL pass!”

Surely that would be better than simply rolling the dice every round, lol

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
A calculator that determines the power of your decklist on a scale of 1-10 based on the weighted value of the cards, both individually and multiplied by combos GET ON IT NERDS

I only play kitchen table commander as of now, and only really have one friend that shows up with decks that might dip into cEDH territory, but it's kind of hard to tell without a lot more high powered games under my belt. Probably doesn't help that half our players are usually using very slightly upgraded precons as well. Still, it hasn't been a problem, as everyone usually gangs up on the most powerful player of the moment.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I play exclusively meme decks and almost always chaos decks at that, and I do not even touch cEDH. It's worked out pretty fun so far (for me).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I would slash your tires IRL and throw all your cards in the tub

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Syenite posted:

I play exclusively meme decks and almost always chaos decks at that, and I do not even touch cEDH. It's worked out pretty fun so far (for me).

Chaos players are the only species worse than pubstompers.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Syenite posted:

(for me)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Framboise posted:

We're gonna start doing proper tournaments soon where everyone will be playing cEDH decks. I'll see how I feel about it then. The main problem is that we have one player who exclusively plays cEDH decks (and has the cash to buy the cards) and won't play anything else. Another player really likes cEDH but doesn't have the money for the cards, so she spearheaded the push for proxies, which I was onboard with just in general. What we have now are two groups, people who want to primarily play cEDH and people who want to play casual, and neither group has enough people playing consistently to form a 4-person pod, so we compromised. Saturdays are alternating between cEDH league games and casual play, which seems fair to me. If it means I can proxy stuff like duals and the Mirran swords in my casual Syr Gwyn deck without people getting angry, I'll gladly take that deal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think anyone should be ashamed or made to feel bad for wanting to play any power level of card, just so long as that player is committed to respecting the time of the other players. Across any format or power level, that’s really the only thing that matters, because it’s the feeling of wasted time or wasted energy that I feel most directly contributes to salt and salty feelings. I’m speaking from my own life and observations as a M:tG player of 25 years across every format, salt only really stems from someone feeling as though they just spent a lot of time and energy playing a game where none of their actions mattered or contributed to the game’s conclusion.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
*searches his deck over five times per turn, three turns in a row, still doesn't win*

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I wonder what the single card is that most differentiates a deck as being cEDH instead of a regular high power deck. It's probably Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond? Maybe one of the weirder interaction pieces but those are all color restricted.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I wonder what the single card is that most differentiates a deck as being cEDH instead of a regular high power deck. It's probably Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond? Maybe one of the weirder interaction pieces but those are all color restricted.

Jeweled Lotus, Lotus Petal, LED, Lucky Cave. Probably one of those, or at the very least a combination of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
i would say its LED. I wouldn't bat an eye at J-Lo in casual, and Mox Diamond is a bit of a flex but you see a lot of them if you play with old heads, they were around.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I don't think there is a single card that would differentiate a deck between high power and cEDH. It's more of a deck building and gameplay philosophy than it is a power level in particular.

As Bust said, LED is one that would get my attention though, as there's a bunch of cards that only really see play on cEDH compared to other styles of play. I think a lot of it would be combo pieces or wincons more so than fast mana or anything like that-- even if it's the fast mana that helps facilitate those combos.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think anyone should be ashamed or made to feel bad for wanting to play any power level of card, just so long as that player is committed to respecting the time of the other players. Across any format or power level, that’s really the only thing that matters, because it’s the feeling of wasted time or wasted energy that I feel most directly contributes to salt and salty feelings. I’m speaking from my own life and observations as a M:tG player of 25 years across every format, salt only really stems from someone feeling as though they just spent a lot of time and energy playing a game where none of their actions mattered or contributed to the game’s conclusion.

Yeah I agree with this. Just for me personally, I live in a rural area so I have to drive 30 miles to the LGS (which isn't bad all things considered, but round trip that's 60 miles and gas ain't cheap) and rolling up to the table to play against a Storm deck that wins on turn 3 just feels like a waste of time. Or conversely you have situations like the other day, the same player joined in at a game we were playing before proxy Legacy and proceeded to play Osgir, using him to duplicate Smokestack and I just conceded and went to talk about Legacy with the other folks because I felt that would be a better use of my time and energy. For me personally Magic is a way to socialize and shoot the poo poo while also getting to play a game that I like, I don't get mad about losing and I'm also not looking to win, but I do like to feel like my contribution mattered in some way.

Now I will say that this guy has made us all sharpen up our deckbuilding and play more interaction. Playing with him forces you to learn how to cut things for counterspells and removal, which I think overall is healthy and leads to more interesting games. And if you show him a deck and ask for advice he usually has very good tips and is willing to make suggestions that lead to better performance. He also came around on proxies and no longer complains about them. But the style of deck he plays and his personality at the table are not things I enjoy, and so I generally don't play in pods with him if there are alternatives.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
if it makes you feel any better what inevitably happens to guys like that (me) is that you eventually browbeat your playgroup into stepping up their game and then the summer after that you're just walking into a room of tiger-robot assassins and every one of them over-elevates your threat level because they just assume you're always 1 turn away from combo-killing the table, even in games of battlecruiser smash-em-ups. It's a living hell and makes you hate the game after a while.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

if it makes you feel any better what inevitably happens to guys like that (me) is that you eventually browbeat your playgroup into stepping up their game and then the summer after that you're just walking into a room of tiger-robot assassins and every one of them over-elevates your threat level because they just assume you're always 1 turn away from combo-killing the table, even in games of battlecruiser smash-em-ups. It's a living hell and makes you hate the game after a while.

When I started playing with this group the rule at the table was "kill him first" and he takes great pleasure from being the permanent archenemy. It made games predictable because everyone would unite at first to kill him, or we would lose the game quickly. I don't know how he finds that fun, but different strokes I guess.

Basically I'm hoping that we burn ourselves out on cEDH after a while and can try out some other twists for league play. Me and another guy are pushing for Pauper Commander, and we've talked about doing budget and theme tournaments. The game does get a lot more fun when you open up to proxies because you can do more stuff without worrying about the budget. We managed to convince the FNM folks to do proxy Legacy, now we just need to extend this policy to every format.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'll vouch for Pauper Commander being super fun, with the caveat that my playgroup has limited ourselves to Legendary commanders to keep some measure of predictability in our build-arounds. There are so many powerhouse uncommon legends now that it isn't hard to find one that suits your tastes and preferences.

I have a Cadira, Caller of the Small deck and a Rilsa Rael, Kingpin deck and both of them are pauper stompers. There aren't really any mass board wipes in pauper, so go-wide small token strategies are actually viable, and while Initiative is illegal in regular pauper, it's still on in Pauper Commander, so Rilsa Rael can very quickly start pumping up an evasive beater on every combat. Single target efficient removal is paramount, and Crib Swap may be my favorite card in the format for that reason, since it is every creature type and fits in any deck with white in it. Another guy in my group has Captain Ripley Vance and she also absolutely blows away opponents and can get moving very quickly. She'd never function in normal EDH but in Pauper she's a terror.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Timetwister

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Winota is the perfect deck because I'm convinced in casual EDH its win rate actually goes down with the jankier removal and overcosted stuff people would never play in cEDH.

Reynold posted:

A calculator that determines the power of your decklist on a scale of 1-10 based on the weighted value of the cards, both individually and multiplied by combos GET ON IT NERDS

This already exists. I don't remember the page off hand, but I've seen it linked on Reddit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Aphrodite posted:

Winota is the perfect deck because I'm convinced in casual EDH its win rate actually goes down with the jankier removal and overcosted stuff people would never play in cEDH.

This already exists. I don't remember the page off hand, but I've seen it linked on Reddit.

Is that the one that rates every deck a 7?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Heath posted:

I'll vouch for Pauper Commander being super fun, with the caveat that my playgroup has limited ourselves to Legendary commanders to keep some measure of predictability in our build-arounds. There are so many powerhouse uncommon legends now that it isn't hard to find one that suits your tastes and preferences.

I have a Cadira, Caller of the Small deck and a Rilsa Rael, Kingpin deck and both of them are pauper stompers. There aren't really any mass board wipes in pauper, so go-wide small token strategies are actually viable, and while Initiative is illegal in regular pauper, it's still on in Pauper Commander, so Rilsa Rael can very quickly start pumping up an evasive beater on every combat. Single target efficient removal is paramount, and Crib Swap may be my favorite card in the format for that reason, since it is every creature type and fits in any deck with white in it. Another guy in my group has Captain Ripley Vance and she also absolutely blows away opponents and can get moving very quickly. She'd never function in normal EDH but in Pauper she's a terror.

The only reason I'm not down with this is that I've already built two decks around Venomthrope and I really want to get a chance to play them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Here's Ashnod.

E:

http://mythicspoiler.com/brw/index.html

Some interesting leaks.

E2:

It's ya boi Yung Tawnos

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 31, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm 100% making a Tocasia deck.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Always happy to see 1 drop legends, and this is the first monoblack one. Her being just a 1/1 is interesting too, since she's just a normal human mortal. Deathtouch is obviously great, and is a weird form of Evasion, which is kinda of alluding to the fact that people were scared of her, and with good reason. I don't think 1 toughness makes her that much worse in EDH since it's not like people are generally running things like Pyroclasm or Lightning Bolt too often. Even Abrade is fine since there's plenty of modestly sized legends who die to that, and she's so cheap it's almost a waste to remove her.

5 to make a 3/3 feels like kind of a lot, but hopefully you can get some powerstones to pay for that. The only comparable repeatable card that makes 3/3s I found in a quick search is Centaur Glade which does it for 4 to activate but costs 5 to play. Assuming you have one Powerstone, it's effectively 4 for and 3/3 which I think is a fine enough rate. (Not sure 3/3s really make a difference in EDH tho.) Also, her ramping stays in play unlike something like Urza, Lord High Artificer (because we need to be specific now, the only downside of having so many legends), so she can help to pay her own commander tax; it can't be used to cast a spell but you can use it to pay for an additional cost. (Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.)

Play pattern could be turn 1 Ashnod, turn 2 play a creature, attack, sacrifice that creature, ramp. It doesn't work amazingly with Unearth because the creature is sacrificed and exiled before it can do damage, but it would do in a pinch. Also, side note: I love Unearth for an archeology based set. It's honestly just a good, fun value ability.

It's great that the zombie she makes is an Artifact creature and is a 3/3, because it's a 2/2 zombie which has been air quotes " " enhanced " " with a Transmogrant. That is the type of attention to detail that makes me know that some old rear end Vorthos was paying attention. The only thematic fail is that the abilities don't say Non-Artifact, but I don't know if that was done because there are so many artifacts in the set that she'd be totally hamstrung with that. It also doesn't say "non-token" so that means that you can sacrifice a creature for a powerstone, turn it into a transmogrant, then sacrifice that token again for another powerstone.

Kinda wish her second ability was for any graveyard.

Yo I just noticed her outfit has little spikes on the shoulder pad, similar to the card Ashnod's Battle Gear. That's awesome... wait a minute, she can't USE Ashnod's battle gear! Flavor fail... but wait, the 5 drop older version can. This means it was before she invented it. Never mind, story perfect, 10/10 no notes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All these power stone token cards seem so clunky and stupid.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Glad they had the foresight to give the prototype cards with triggers an "if you cast it" condition.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sheldon Menery: https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/celebrating-magic-30-in-las-vegas-and-the-commander-decks-coming-with-me/

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, her ramping stays in play unlike something like Urza, Lord High Artificer (because we need to be specific now, the only downside of having so many legends), so she can help to pay her own commander tax; it can't be used to cast a spell but you can use it to pay for an additional cost. (Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.)

Playing your commander from the command zone is treated as casting a spell. Commander tax is an additional cost to cast your commander, so powerstones can't be used to pay for it unless your commander is an artifact.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

I can't wait until other sites hop on the bandwagon of using better decklist formats. It's such a pain trying to sift through what decks do when half the cards are all just lumped into a "lol fuckin whatever" category, without showing mana costs or anything like that without having to hover over the name.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Framboise posted:

I can't wait until other sites hop on the bandwagon of using better decklist formats. It's such a pain trying to sift through what decks do when half the cards are all just lumped into a "lol fuckin whatever" category, without showing mana costs or anything like that without having to hover over the name.

It is a pet peeve of mine when there’s a distinction between “creatures” and “spells”. Almost every creature printed in MTG history is a spell, it’s a common thing to have to teach newbies specifically, and yet we’re lumping artifacts in with instants but creatures have their own distinct category that suggests they are immune to counterspell!

Nobody reading it is going to actually get confused, I know it’s silly, but it could all be resolved by splitting out noncreature spells - something they should do anyway.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

SCG is generally the only one I know of that is this deliberately terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://mythicspoiler.com/brw/cards/laydownarms.html

I thought maybe we had another Swords to Plowshares for White heavy decks but it's a Sorcery.