Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's a fake post, nobody is actually this stupid.

based on the angry PMs I got afterwards calling me a leftist coward for violating their free speech I'm not convinced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chain probe.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ScarecrowIntel posted:

I was a union worker for many years. I was a steward, chief steward, served on multiple committees including the bargaining committee and bargaining 2 contracts, and served on the executive board for three terms. I watched a strong national union slowly degrade and become a business. I bought into 100% of it. Unity. Solidarity. I bled red.

When union leadership says "the membership are the union" it is an absolute lie. The union leaders at the top have no issue taking your money but are stingy when it comes to spending it on things that do not include a trip for them, extra pay, milage reimbursement, and meals. If the case is not lock down win forget about arbitration.

Education is the key to improving your life and earning more money. Unions are dying and will continue to die. Union leaders live by greed which is what they are allegedly fighting. And don't think there aren't backroom deals. "We want to terminate Joe. Don't push grievances hard on his termination and we will drop our investigation against Sara" Or from the union side "Give us MLK day off with pay and we will drop our NLRB charges based on your manager punishing union members and letting everyone else do the own thing" So much wrong quid pro quo.

I started a union job with a college education. My mistake was staying there. I work a non-union job now and make much more money, great benefits, and zero drama in the workplace. No more "Us vs Them" mentality,

Get an education in a needed field if you want a better life. A NEEDED FIELD. Not what you like. Unless you can make a business that makes money from your hobbies you need an education in a field in demand. For the majority of the world the things we like to do are hobbies. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy your work but you may not love it. And thats perfectly OK! That why we have hobbies!

There will always be those who have much more and much less than everyone else. Its been that way since the beginning of time. It will always be that way. Union jobs, as a whole, have more people with stress related issues and out on FMLA. Its common sense you are not going to live large working at McDonald or Starbucks. Those jobs are for college kids and teenagers not for supporting yourself and a family.

I am not trying to sound cold or cold hearted but some people seem to think they are worth more than they are and have no real education. And these same people, many times, have bad credit and extreme debt. And typically it is not medical bills. Get an education and live responsibly and you will have everything you need and most of what you want!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

u sound like this lady

https://twitter.com/drhannahrobbins/status/1585881886597197824

https://twitter.com/drhannahrobbins/status/1585881892599042049

https://twitter.com/drhannahrobbins/status/1585881898223476736

https://twitter.com/drhannahrobbins/status/1585881904418803714

https://twitter.com/drhannahrobbins/status/1586066227788541952

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Waz-XL3FkFs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The system works.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJYbFFFZwdE

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

vyelkin posted:

based on the angry PMs I got afterwards calling me a leftist coward for violating their free speech I'm not convinced

post the PMs

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PerniciousKnid posted:

nobody is actually this stupid.

got some bad news for ya

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

ScarecrowIntel posted:

I was a union worker for many years. I was a steward, chief steward, served on multiple committees including the bargaining committee and bargaining 2 contracts, and served on the executive board for three terms. I watched a strong national union slowly degrade and become a business. I bought into 100% of it. Unity. Solidarity. I bled red.

When union leadership says "the membership are the union" it is an absolute lie. The union leaders at the top have no issue taking your money but are stingy when it comes to spending it on things that do not include a trip for them, extra pay, milage reimbursement, and meals. If the case is not lock down win forget about arbitration.

Education is the key to improving your life and earning more money. Unions are dying and will continue to die. Union leaders live by greed which is what they are allegedly fighting. And don't think there aren't backroom deals. "We want to terminate Joe. Don't push grievances hard on his termination and we will drop our investigation against Sara" Or from the union side "Give us MLK day off with pay and we will drop our NLRB charges based on your manager punishing union members and letting everyone else do the own thing" So much wrong quid pro quo.

I started a union job with a college education. My mistake was staying there. I work a non-union job now and make much more money, great benefits, and zero drama in the workplace. No more "Us vs Them" mentality,

Get an education in a needed field if you want a better life. A NEEDED FIELD. Not what you like. Unless you can make a business that makes money from your hobbies you need an education in a field in demand. For the majority of the world the things we like to do are hobbies. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy your work but you may not love it. And thats perfectly OK! That why we have hobbies!

There will always be those who have much more and much less than everyone else. Its been that way since the beginning of time. It will always be that way. Union jobs, as a whole, have more people with stress related issues and out on FMLA. Its common sense you are not going to live large working at McDonald or Starbucks. Those jobs are for college kids and teenagers not for supporting yourself and a family.

I am not trying to sound cold or cold hearted but some people seem to think they are worth more than they are and have no real education. And these same people, many times, have bad credit and extreme debt. And typically it is not medical bills. Get an education and live responsibly and you will have everything you need and most of what you want!

lmfao

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

very wholesome how many mods & iks are contributing to the chain probe.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zodium posted:

very wholesome how many mods & iks are contributing to the chain probe.

The power of collective action at work.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Thanks to this right-winger, we now have an opportunity for a practice run at countering anti-union propaganda that might get thrown at you from anti-union workers or your boss. In the absolute best case, you might hear some of this rhetoric from a coworker who sincerely has misgivings about the union; you might even flip them to pro-union. If it's your boss, of course, you can't convince them to not follow their orders, but you can make them look dumb in front of your coworkers, which rules.

The structure you're going to see here in the anti-union shpiel is:
  • gain credibility by telling personal background
  • tell truths or half-truths about real problems with unions, but ]extend these problems to be something inherently wrong with unions as a concept
  • give alternate solutions that aren't unions, no matter how ridiculous or impossible

Step one:

ScarecrowIntel posted:

Step two:

ScarecrowIntel posted:

Education is the key to improving your life and earning more money. Unions are dying and will continue to die. Union leaders live by greed which is what they are allegedly fighting. And don't think there aren't backroom deals. "We want to terminate Joe. Don't push grievances hard on his termination and we will drop our investigation against Sara" Or from the union side "Give us MLK day off with pay and we will drop our NLRB charges based on your manager punishing union members and letting everyone else do the own thing" So much wrong quid pro quo..

Unfortunately, most of the story here is probably true. There are a lot of conservative old-timers in unions that think the purpose of a union is just to get better wages, benefits, and working conditions for the in-group. These people often overlap with selfish union leadership who are corrupt or self-serving. Way back in the 30s-50s, corporations much preferred working with corrupt, mafia-connected unions to working with "red" unions, because you could just convince one guy of a deal and then it was accepted on behalf of The Union. Leftist unions, on the other hand, have that whole "democracy" thing, which is a huge pain in the rear end for making deals.

These things our friend posts (and many others) can be real problems with unions, and we can't just hand-wave them away! However, we have to diagnose the problem properly: it's not "unions are bad, be self-serving instead," it's "we have to, at every point, always be working toward a better, more democratic, more militant, more worker-led, more powerful union." It is very easy for workers to get lulled into a sense of security, especially after years or decades of easy contract negotiations without striking.

A quote that McAlevey likes is that the strike is like a muscle, if it's not exercised, it will atrophy. I'd extend this to all sorts of fighting and organizing within a union. If you stop fighting, stop organizing, stop going to union meetings, yeah, this will absolutely happen. It sucks, and it's why creating a union isn't "set it and forget it."

Step three:

ScarecrowIntel posted:

Here's where the mask slips and we can see that the poster isn't some sympathetic liberal trying to get the best for us, they're just a conservative that thinks the answer to everything is Work Hard, Go To School, Learn to Code, etc. (Citations Needed has a good episode about the "education is the way" myth, for those interested.) Union-busters here in Seattle know that their audience is liberal, so I didn't hear this sort of talk much from Verizon, but you're likely to hear this from some coworkers when you try to organize.

There are jobs that are necessary, jobs that someone has to do. For about ten minutes during the pandemic, we called them "essential workers" before going back to calling them lazy college kids. Doesn't matter if there's 300 people with college degrees in the country or 300 million, someone needs to stock grocery stores, clean floors, collect the trash, and fix up roads. And if those jobs are truly essential, then the people who do them shouldn't be punished with death or malnourishment for being dumb enough to take the job.

If you hear talking points like this from someone you're trying to organize, ask them: who is supposed to be working these essential jobs? What life do we want these people to have? What should they do, and what should we do, to ensure that everyone has a life worth living even if they're doing one of society's more difficult jobs?

If someone gives you "well my non-union job has better XYZ," say, for how long? How do you know that will continue? Do you have a contract that prevents them from changing these things? What happens if your company gets bought, or gets a new CEO? Have you heard about other companies that suddenly cut wages and benefits? How would your life change if your boss changed their mind about this? What can we do to guarantee these god wages and benefits keep getting better instead of getting reduced?

And if you hear someone talk about an "us vs them" mentality, ask them: where do you think this comes from? Who is the "us" and the "them?" Try to guide them to seeing that "us vs them" is actually quite a helpful framework, and that it's the one the bosses already operate from, and workers just need to realize it.

ScarecrowIntel posted:

lmao

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lern2code is incredibly funny since that was arrogant liberal.txt back when it first showed up and now that the market has saturated with people who know how to do basic poo poo it's just another job instead of a hot commodity.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's almost as though the real purpose of that messaging is to depress labor costs for high-demand fields

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

coders get treated well I insist as Amazon trys to insist that a 20 to 50% turnover rate for white collar jobs is normal, and good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinking about unionizing the poop factory

any advice?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thinking about unionizing the poop factory

any advice?

learn to commode

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/uaw2865/status/1588009831020961792

my former local

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Nov 3, 2022

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

oh man the text spam I’m getting against the Illinois worker’s rights amendment is fuckin’ *vile* and everyone I know is getting them

Junkiebev has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Nov 4, 2022

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

quote:

Hi this is Katelyn. My friend Rachel just posted this on Facebook. It’s sickening.

Illinoisans are getting tricked into voting for the “Proposed Amendment to the 1970 Illinois Constitution” by calling it the “Workers Rights Amendment.”

That’s a lie. This amendment only protects *government* workers.

That’s why it is estimated to cause an average property tax hike of $2,100 for the typical Illinois homeowner if it passes. 🏠

Don’t be tricked into voting for higher property taxes! Vote NO on Amendment 1. ❌

Learn more: https://getfacts.today/esclg.jOlLl4l4xkCBgIlD

Text STOP to opt out. Paid for by Vote No on Amendment 1.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
christ that's evil

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

kingcobweb posted:

christ that's evil

luv2get force-fed lurid billionaire-funded anti worker propaganda

these people belong in a basement that prominently features a drain

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
lmao if you click through this poo poo is insane https://www.illinoispolicy.org/5-ways-amendment-1-is-a-property-tax-hike/

one of the ways it'll supposedly raise taxes is that stronger public employee unions "would make taxpayer-friendly reforms less likely"

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

kingcobweb posted:

lmao if you click through this poo poo is insane https://www.illinoispolicy.org/5-ways-amendment-1-is-a-property-tax-hike/

one of the ways it'll supposedly raise taxes is that stronger public employee unions "would make taxpayer-friendly reforms less likely"

yea illinoispolicy dot org is hella gross, but the insane thing is that the one-paragraph amendment only makes “right to work” laws contrary to the state constitution. that’s all it does, protect from Chud governor overreach.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Junkiebev posted:

yea illinoispolicy dot org is hella gross, but the insane thing is that the one-paragraph amendment only makes “right to work” laws contrary to the state constitution. that’s all it does, protect from Chud governor overreach.

oh my god that’s amazing. I’m reading them trying to catastrophize over this, just incredible work from them https://www.illinoispolicy.org/what-you-need-to-know-about-giving-unions-special-treatment-in-illinois-constitution/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

Taken to its logical end, there is no limit on who could unionize. Arguably, lawmakers and legislative liaisons might be able to unionize, as they are paid “employees” of the state.

im dying

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ScarecrowIntel posted:

great post. thanks mods and iks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ScarecrowIntel posted:

free larry

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Let's not go there please.

for anybody in the US who hasn't seen it, there's a new front in anti-union warfare in Canada: the government of Ontario has passed legislation that overrules the constitutionally-protected right to strike to force a dogshit contract on already-severely-underpaid unionized education workers. This has never been done before and a whole lot of the province's unions are declaring sympathy strikes and other labour actions to try and oppose it. I haven't seen any numbers on it yet because it's all happened over the last few days, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Canada's biggest coordinated labour action in decades. We'll see if it works, the government was reelected with a majority earlier this year and much of their base are rabidly anti-union so they may not think they have much to lose politically from taking as hard a line as possible against striking workers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

for anybody in the US who hasn't seen it, there's a new front in anti-union warfare in Canada: the government of Ontario has passed legislation that overrules the constitutionally-protected right to strike to force a dogshit contract on already-severely-underpaid unionized education workers. This has never been done before and a whole lot of the province's unions are declaring sympathy strikes and other labour actions to try and oppose it. I haven't seen any numbers on it yet because it's all happened over the last few days, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Canada's biggest coordinated labour action in decades. We'll see if it works, the government was reelected with a majority earlier this year and much of their base are rabidly anti-union so they may not think they have much to lose politically from taking as hard a line as possible against striking workers

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/03/ontario-doug-ford-strike-fine-bill-28-canada

A fine of four thousand dollars a day! This is really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah it's really atrocious, the unions so far are basically ignoring it and hoping that a big enough labour action will force the government back to the table and probably make them retroactively waive fines like that, but technically speaking the way Canadian law works if the government wants to just enforce the law as they passed it with the massive fines or firing all the striking workers or beating their heads in with police clubs there's nothing stopping them, which means we may be entering a new era of labour militancy where the unions have to pay less attention to what the law permits them to do and more attention to what they can actually extract by force of withholding labour whether currently considered legal or not. At this point it's either that or capitulate completely to anti-union provincial leaders who smell blood in the water