Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Lady Demelza posted:

Neighbour has asked me feed their cats as they're away.

Three cats are in a cage about 24in x 18in. There is one litter tray, a food bowl and a water bowl in there as well.

Neighbour is unhappy that I've let them out, I'm unhappy about locking cats in a cage this small for 10 days.

That's not a nice predicament they have put you in. I'd be uncomfortable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
What's their excuse for needing them locked in a cage?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

What's their excuse for needing them locked in a cage?

They don't trust them not to get up to mischief. Basically doing cat stuff like knocking things over, and biting or scratching things they shouldn't bite or scratch.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Probably shouldn't have cats then

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

Neighbour has asked me feed their cats as they're away.

Three cats are in a cage about 24in x 18in. There is one litter tray, a food bowl and a water bowl in there as well.

Neighbour is unhappy that I've let them out, I'm unhappy about locking cats in a cage this small for 10 days.

That's appallingly bad I wouldn't put one cat in a cage that small except one time my girlie got some sort of back injury (I think she was hit by a car) and would just not stay still as needed and had to be confined for 10 days.

Try the RSPCA it is cruelty. Your neighbours will hate you. I believe police have powers (under direction of RSPCA) under Animal Welfare Act.

Maybe keep them in the kitchen and 3 cats theoretically should have 4 litter boxes (but most people would have 2 probably). Take photos as well of cage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
or should have used a cattery.

the cats are now loose in their home? for how long?

go back and check after a half day/day whatever when you would have had to feed them anyway? if its all fine, its all fine without involving rspca?

maybe that will mean the owners realise they dont need to cage them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

rspca have an online advice query thing which i would imagine you could use anonymously to begin with and go from there?

https://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/contactus/askus/online

actually im not sure how appropriate that is from the first list of drop down options

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that is not at all good for the cats

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's absolutely hosed, call RSPCA immediately

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

or should have used a cattery.

the cats are now loose in their home? for how long?

go back and check after a half day/day whatever when you would have had to feed them anyway? if its all fine, its all fine without involving rspca?

maybe that will mean the owners realise they dont need to cage them.

The cats are confined to one room. I'm still going in to feed/scoop poop.

This is the second time they've asked me to go around when they're away. The last time I opened the cage door and told them it was too small a space for 3 cats. This is why they've specifically said not to let them loose.

What's making me hesitate is that a few people have said because it's a temporary condition it may not be worth reporting when animal charities need to devote resources to more serious cases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly, but if they're perfectly happy to lock their cats in a cage for 10 days they probably aren't treating them very well otherwise. Plus, the rpsca can make that decision if you give them the information.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lady Demelza posted:

The cats are confined to one room. I'm still going in to feed/scoop poop.

This is the second time they've asked me to go around when they're away. The last time I opened the cage door and told them it was too small a space for 3 cats. This is why they've specifically said not to let them loose.

What's making me hesitate is that a few people have said because it's a temporary condition it may not be worth reporting when animal charities need to devote resources to more serious cases.

"It's OK, they only abuse their cats while they're away!"

gently caress that poo poo. This is a serious case and those cats need to be rehoused.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Plus, the rpsca can make that decision if you give them the information.

Yeah you've got to at least give them the choice

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I had a penned off area for my dog when I was house training her, but she was only ever in there for a couple of hours a day when she couldn't be watched and we were able to get rid of it after a few months. Leaving three animals in there for 10 days straight is totally deserving of a call to the RSPCA, even if it's just so they authoritatively tell your neighbour not to do it again.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grey Hunter posted:

If we'd only given her another month she would have speedrun the bit where she shoots herself in a bunker.....

Really, you think she wouldn't have missed?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm having trouble envisaging 3 cats food water and a litter tray in such a small space in any case and cannot see on earth how they do not see!

Problem is if you report them and RSPCA just give them a stern talking to they probably won't ask you again and might ask some other neighbour to do it who couldn't care less.

The other problem is if they get taken away to a shelter they may end up being put down if no-one takes them. Apparently there are oodles of abandoned pets now because of the costs.

Maybe the RSPCA could give them advice on setting up a cat run or pen for when they are away or indeed a cattery (though my one experience of using a cattery that was supposed to be really good and a quarantine cattery too so cats would be there for 6 months under the old regs was not good.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/CambPeckLab/status/1586428712542781440

FFS

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Put the cat owners in a small cage and let the cats roam free.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1586660000163831810

He's apologised. Everything is ok now.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah gently caress that, thats unbelievably cruel and lovely. Cats get lots of really loving nasty illnesses from stress, and confinement like that is STRESS.

gently caress those neighbours. You wouldn't lock your kid in a cage. Cats are living goddamn beings. Its unfortunate the situation of neigbours over cats but cruelty is cruelty.

I have 7 cats and regularly look after others' cats on the estate I live on, because I'd rather stay home than go travel as I spent near 40 years travelling. They often gently caress up things while folks are away... But that's part of having cats. They gently caress up things while you're asleep if you're stupid enough to have breakable stuff balanced everywhere. Same if there are not enough litter boxes and not enough scratching posts or toys. They are CATS.

Makes me fume, when I lived in NL I had a landlord inspection and they complained that despite there being no damage at all to the apartment there was "cat stuff" everywhere. Gee, YOU THINK IT'S RELATED?

Rysja says: "Cat stuff?"

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 30, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/1586493084644167681

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The horse has already bolted, but we have robust protocols for barn door locking in place.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Redpolitics/status/1586670063385452544

:allears:

e: I had a dream last night where the entire contents of Liz Truss's phone ended up being leaked on Wikileaks by Snowden. I don't remember reading any of the leaked stuff in the dream, as I had to wake up and go for a piss.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 30, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should be able to parlay that into a column in the express or a paycheque from the FSB.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

e: I had a dream last night where the entire contents of Liz Truss's phone ended up being leaked on Wikileaks by Snowden. I don't remember reading any of the leaked stuff in the dream, as I had to wake up and go for a piss.

sounds like an adrian chiles column tbh

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lady Demelza posted:

They don't trust them not to get up to mischief. Basically doing cat stuff like knocking things over, and biting or scratching things they shouldn't bite or scratch.

Maybe they shouldn't have cats.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The Russian's are getting beaten black and blue so having access to Lizzies inner thoughts hasn't helped them at all

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
When did liz go to russia?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jippa posted:

Every night in her dreams, driving a tank with a fur hat and going pewpewpew with the big guns

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

She had that hat on like Maggie

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jippa posted:

February, just before the Ukraine invasion, while she was Foreign Secretary. She made lots of gaffes, and seemed mostly focussed on getting this Thatcher shot for her instagram portfolio, despite it being way too warm to wear such clothing

e: lol

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1586654251513790465

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 30, 2022

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Big Philomena Cunk energy there.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I saw a headline on bbc news: "Do not intervene with Just Stop Oil protests, Met urges" and thought for a second wow, that's unexpected. I'm glad they are telling their officers to leave the protestors alone.

but of course they meant the public should stay out of it because it will interfere with prosecutions. funny country!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

It's like we briefly made Philomena Cunk PM.

Edit:

Kokoro Wish posted:

Big Philomena Cunk energy there.

lmao, not the only one to see it. It's the vacant stare.

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 30, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

:five:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

According to Reuters a man threw molotov coctails and fireworks at a border crossing or migration station or such in Dover and then committed suicide. Let's see if Rishi will now militarize the border.

https://twitter.com/markwhiteTV/status/1586690660698132481

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is this someone mad at them for coming over or mad at us for treating them like poo poo?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Cat Owner just phoned me to reassure me they're "trying to get some bigger cages" and that if I "let them run around for a bit" when I go in to feed them, they'll be OK.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lady Demelza posted:

Cat Owner just phoned me to reassure me they're "trying to get some bigger cages" and that if I "let them run around for a bit" when I go in to feed them, they'll be OK.

loving hell. Please report this. They're not dogs, they're cats, they can't manage like that. If you don't want to make the call, PM one of us the details and I'm sure we'll do it, though - the neighbours are going to know anyway, I suppose :/ Sorry you've been put in this shitshow of a situation. Don't feel guilty. Feel furious that they've done this to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Lady Demelza posted:

drat, maybe the cats will have two square feet to themselves rather than one square foot! (Box of cat poo poo not included)