Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The "anti-consumption" subreddit is hilariously pro-car, jfc

Reddit is a psyop or at the very least incredibly susceptible to astroturfing and any threatening narrative is immediately co-opted and dismantled, eg r/antiwork or r/coronavirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's also just full of average people who think saving the planet means using paper drinking straws. r/fuckcars still hasn't compromised its values at least that I've seen

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Genuinely surprise there isn't an r/ifuckcars.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm more into object insertion, specifically potatoes in exhausts.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I got rear ended today so i'm hating cars more than usual. Basically on house arrest now until our shared insurer gets me a car. It was the most ideal situation where the guy didnt speed off, physically incapable of doing, and we could limp our cars over to the two police in view chilling in the parking lot.

Apr 7, 2003

Jabronie posted:

I got rear ended today so i'm hating cars more than usual. Basically on house arrest now until our shared insurer gets me a car. It was the most ideal situation where the guy didnt speed off, physically incapable of doing, and we could limp our cars over to the two police in view chilling in the parking lot.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A drunk driver creamed my car and crashed into a utility pole further up the street just now.

$12,023 in damage

I really don't think our current auto-based societal structure is sustainable

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I really don't think our current auto-based societal structure is sustainable

hey, it's sustainable for car manufacturers, and insurance companies, and oil companies, and coming soon lithium companies i guess, and development companies that clear-cut forests an hour outside of the nearest city to build one dozen of the ugliest mcmansions you can imagine, and if those guys are wrong i don't wanna be right

Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

hey, it's sustainable for insurance companies,

Insurance companies depend on risk pools. 1960s muscle cars disappeared within four or five years of their introduction because insurers couldn't afford to keep insuring them

either the federal government will assume this poo poo, or it'll end. If you fart on a car it results in expenses equal to four months' pay for the median American worker. I can't see how that keeps being sustainable without nationalization or subsidization.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

god hates cars

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

[quote="Fitzy Fitz" post="527338040"
It's also just full of average people who think saving the planet means using paper drinking straws. r/fuckcars still hasn't compromised its values at least that I've seen
[/quote]

say something mean about electric cars, no matter how heavily qualified, and get dogpiled by people on that sub talking about how awesome they are. Not "yes they suck, but are an improvement on ICE cars", but rather, "anything negative about EVs is a lie, here's a link to a study commissioned by Tesla to prove that". Not saying those people are a majority on that sub, but there's enough of them that it is very annoying.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

electric cars are obviously an improvement in many ways over ICE cars but they have the same space/geometry problems, inherently, due to being cars, and are therefore bad. also of course tire/road friction creates a lot of very bad pollution, which electric cars due to being heavier are worse about.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
4000kg E-utes that do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds are going to be a joy to behold in cities everywhere very soon

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

electric cars are obviously an improvement in many ways over ICE cars but they have the same space/geometry problems, inherently, due to being cars, and are therefore bad. also of course tire/road friction creates a lot of very bad pollution, which electric cars due to being heavier are worse about.

not sure if we're actually disagreeing here, but imo if we look at the overall list of negative externalities from cars there are a few that are improved by switching from ICE to EVs, and many more that don't change at all, get worse, or are entirely novel to EVs. if we're looking at it not solely as a question of whether or not a car uses fossil fuels but instead as a question of what cars do to our society and our planet, i think they're less of a step forward and more of a step sideways

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

say something mean about electric cars, no matter how heavily qualified, and get dogpiled by people on that sub talking about how awesome they are. Not "yes they suck, but are an improvement on ICE cars", but rather, "anything negative about EVs is a lie, here's a link to a study commissioned by Tesla to prove that". Not saying those people are a majority on that sub, but there's enough of them that it is very annoying.

this is one of the top posts from this past week, and the comments are very much in favour of the premise of the tweet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
the love tap i got a week ago actually cracked the fillpipe on my gastank somewhere so that's going to be nice and cheap to fix because we didn't trade insurance for a "minor" bump. welp!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
That's what you get for driving a car.

Also fuckin lmao. This one suburb of Houston is bitching about big rigs using their neighborhood as a parking lot. Huge loud trucks parking and driving at all hours of the night and residents can't do poo poo about it. It's a unincorporated suburb with an HOA. Truckers give no fucks about an HOA. They tried to call the Houston cops but they don't give a poo poo since the suburb doesn't pay Houston taxes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Oct 30, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the real benefit with electric cars are less local air pollution and less general road noise. The actual long term carbon benefits (at least currently) are heavily mixed compared to a simple hybrid.

Then you balance that with more road wear (that has its own carbon price), the weight and low noise of the vehicle being dangerous for pedestrians, and that fact it has been used as a disincentive for public transportation infrastructure etc.

Basically, in the long-term it needs to happen, but not only is mass adoption not really practical at the moment, but it is delaying shifts that in fact do need to happen.

That said, I would say transportation in the US is in a period of constriction foreseeable future. Most urban freeways are maxed out: and there is very little actual money going into non-road infrastructure. It is just going to be an mess as people get more and more pissed off.

I am very glad to live in a place (not the US) where you really don't need a car. It improves your entire quality of life and your overall long term financial future.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Which reminds me, I have to figure out what my savings on not having a car is, measured in weekly work hours. It feels like a couple

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BonHair posted:

Which reminds me, I have to figure out what my savings on not having a car is, measured in weekly work hours. It feels like a couple

I think most people underestimate how much it actually costs. Usually, people talk just about gas/insurance/car payments but not everything else a car brings from parking fees/tickets to long-term health issues (not to mention costs of maintenance/accidents).

It is a whole big matzo ball of problems.

It is just if you were born in the US, the powers that be have made it very clear that you are going to have to own one to work unless you want to wait 2 hours for bus transfers.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Will adding a shitload of guns to the mix help?

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/1585748249842835456

quote:

Phoenix police say there was an argument between occupants of two vehicles in the area. During the argument, two men got into a physical fight after exiting their vehicles. One of the men stabbed the other several times and then drove away.

The man that was stabbed then followed the man who drove away and shot into his vehicle from behind.

One of the bullets hit an eight-year-old girl that was sitting in the backseat. She was taken to a hospital in critical, but stable condition. Nobody else inside that vehicle was struck by gunfire.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BonHair posted:

The lifetime cost of driving a car

quote:

The car is one of the most expensive household consumer goods, yet there is a limited understanding of its private (internal) and social (external) cost per vehicle-km, year, or lifetime of driving. This paper provides an overview of 23 private and ten social cost items, and assesses these for three popular car models in Germany for the year 2020. Results confirm that motorists underestimate the full private costs of car ownership, while policy makers and planners underestimate social costs. For the typical German travel distance of 15,000 car kilometers per year, the total lifetime cost of car ownership (50 years) ranges between €599,082 for an Opel Corsa to €956,798 for a Mercedes GLC. The share of this cost born by society is 41% (€4674 per year) for the Opel Corsa, and 29% (€5273 per year) for the Mercedes GLC. Findings suggest that for low-income groups, private car ownership can represent a cost equal to housing, consuming a large share of disposable income. This creates complexities in perceptions of transport costs, the economic viability of alternative transport modes, or the justification of taxes.

results would probably be even more dramatic if you managed to replicate this study in the USA

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

not sure if we're actually disagreeing here, but imo if we look at the overall list of negative externalities from cars there are a few that are improved by switching from ICE to EVs, and many more that don't change at all, get worse, or are entirely novel to EVs. if we're looking at it not solely as a question of whether or not a car uses fossil fuels but instead as a question of what cars do to our society and our planet, i think they're less of a step forward and more of a step sideways

yeah we are in agreement, this is all right

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weird how all these casualties in the War on Cars are from friendly fire.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the real benefit with electric cars are less local air pollution and less general road noise. The actual long term carbon benefits (at least currently) are heavily mixed compared to a simple hybrid.

I would think a hybrid is more complex/expensive than an EV, but idk anything about cars. Are they actually simpler?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Real EVs are ridiculously simple, hybrids are complicated because they have all the parts of an ICE plus the parts of an EV plus the parts needed for them to work together.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cool av posted:

I would think a hybrid is more complex/expensive than an EV, but idk anything about cars. Are they actually simpler?

They are more complex, but the issue is the battery pack itself which is a massive carbon sink and it the lifetime of the battery/the electricity you are using is going to greatly change the carbon outcome.

I am sure you can arrange a situation where it pencils out positive over years in the right locations but that isn’t a great argument on a nation-wide level:

Also, you could argue situations like pedestrian safety have a feed back effect, if people are too scared to walk outside without dying, they are going to forced to use cars even more which is creates a larger carbon cost alongside just how carbon is being spent due to car culture (giant big box stores etc).
Hell, you could argue that roads themselves have a negative albedo effect as well.

Basically, current electric cars are a way to feel you are doing something while making the situation even worse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ardennes posted:

They are more complex, but the issue is the battery pack itself which is a massive carbon sink and it the lifetime of the battery/the electricity you are using is going to greatly change the carbon outcome.

Has anyone done the math on how much lithium and such we would have to mine in order to replace conventional cars with electric cars?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Halloween is a beautiful holiday because it's one time out of the year where lots of people remember how nice it is to walk around town (please don't remind me of the tragedies,I know).

I got to spend Friday and Saturday nights walking around car-free downtown festivals. It's so incredibly unlike anything we get to experience otherwise in the US.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

McCracAttack posted:

Has anyone done the math on how much lithium and such we would have to mine in order to replace conventional cars with electric cars?

Yeah, I don't have the link but I'll save you the effort of watching:

It's not possible.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

McCracAttack posted:

pencil in something like 1.5 billion cars around the world, plus assume that rising living standards means the number of cars will likely continue to increase, and think about the vast quantities of lithium being used to just make it possible for us to keep driving cars for a little while longer

it's, uh, not good

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/existentialcoms/status/1290040673358368769?t=SOlG7heA-JbsTVlvgdoluA&s=19

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

McCracAttack posted:

Yes. Basically everyone concludes world lithium mining needs to ramp up massively for all those batteries in new cars. Like an order of magnitude greater than current lithium mining.

Just make a loving electric train already.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Yes. Basically everyone concludes world lithium mining needs to ramp up massively for all those batteries in new cars. Like an order of magnitude greater than current lithium mining.

Unfortunately the human race has decided it would rather go extinct than take public transit

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Where do you think you are?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

IMO we should save the lithium for drivers.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Halloween is a beautiful holiday because it's one time out of the year where lots of people remember how nice it is to walk around town (please don't remind me of the tragedies,I know).

I got to spend Friday and Saturday nights walking around car-free downtown festivals. It's so incredibly unlike anything we get to experience otherwise in the US.

In like 15 years we've only gotten 2 or 3 groups of trick or treaters at our house. Nobody trick or treats out here because everybody drives their kids into town to hit up bigger neighborhood or go to the big thing one of the churches puts on

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
car manufacturer taking my vape batteries at gunpoint

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

People are such shitheads, today I got honked at for not queuing across an intersection that had very explicit 'do not queue across intersection' paint markings all over it, which allowed cars from a side road to turn onto the road and thus I guess put one or two more cars between this person and where they had to very urgently get?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We call that blocking the box where i live and my favorite story of that is:

In seattle blocking the box is a pretty hefty fine. Cops could absolutely make all their quotas off it in a loving day through downtown on it but instead while a bunch of cars were blocking the box, a cop was giving pedestrians tickets for walking on the cross walk between all the cars that were blocking because it was off the walk signal and therefor dangerous despite the fact that it was grid lock and no one was moving.

Shockingly that cop was also found to be insanely racist and later let go, then rehired thanks to the SPOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

silicone thrills posted:

Shockingly that cop was also found to be insanely racist

You're repeating yourself Has anyone actually witnessed someone be surprised by cops being poo poo? It seems like everyone I know either believes cops can do no wrong and had a good reason for doing some heinous thing or the person already knows cops are poo poo. Have you ever witness a person realize that cops may actually be bad?

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Oct 31, 2022