Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's handy to know, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I've been having a problem lately where after I play Cyberpunk, FFXIV is janky until I reboot (even though it says it's running at 60fps, so maybe a frame pacing issue?). And then GeForce Experience couldn't install the new drivers after I played Cyberpunk, until I rebooted.

I don't see anything left running in the process listing after, so I'm not quite sure exactly what Cyberpunk is doing that leaves my system in this state. I sort of want to say that it shouldn't be able to do anything that persists after it shuts down, and that it's therefore a driver/OS bug, but I don't know enough about modern Windows graphics stacks to really be sure about that position.

Reboots are pretty fast, but still it's annoying. Anyone have thoughts on what I could do to diagnose/remedy this?

Are you running multiple monitors?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you running multiple monitors?

Yeah, both at 120Hz. I’ve been doing that for a long time, though!

(Actually, one is at 119.something, which I hope isn’t triggering some lovely different-refresh-rate behaviour in NVIDIA’s drivers. Both are gsync, though, if that matters.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

(Actually, one is at 119.something, which I hope isn’t triggering some lovely different-refresh-rate behaviour in NVIDIA’s drivers. Both are gsync, though, if that matters.)

The other day my second monitor was running at 59.5 for some reason. I had to switch it back to 60. I have no idea why or how that happened.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, both at 120Hz. I’ve been doing that for a long time, though!

It's a shot in the dark and entirely based on my own anecdotal experience with my own weird setup, but I was getting weird stuff unless I disabled the second monitor in the Nvidia control panel. I don't have as much use for the second panel when I'm gaming, so haven't done more thorough troubleshooting, but what I was seeing was reduced framerate and a little stuttering. My second monitor is an off-brand 11" touchscreen panel, though, so I have another level of complexity going on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AMD prices continue to fall at a pretty good clip. ASRock Challenger 6600 XT for $250 after promo code, and Asus Dual 6600 for $210. The 6700 XT is now reaching the mid 300s too and the 6800 XT may breach $500 any day now. I'm hopeful this is a sign that RDNA3 will be affordable as well. Nvidia is desperately trying to keep prices as high as possible while AMD is aggressively discounting cards to undercut the competition.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

necrobobsledder posted:

lol that our regulatory bodies do anything vaguely useful

they play a very important non ceremonious role of letting the regulated be regulators

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SpartanIvy posted:

A 480 rad just for a CPU? Talk about overkill.

i'd usually run my gpu vanilla for a month or two, to see if there's any possible issues since some shops will give you poo poo about warranty if you stripped the card
extremely so on a gpu that's famous for being faulty lol

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://youtu.be/EIKjZ1djp8c

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol come on

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1586664250424102919

this is AMDs generation to lose, but they'll probably find a way

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re really struggling to recover from the loss of the crypto revenue stream, huh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's a whole £500 less than retailers were asking for the 4090! Amazing savings!

Anyway I'm still 100% expecting AMD to just put their prices slightly under Nvidia's thinking they can cash in the same way, If that happens I'd 100% just get a 6700XT/6800XT instead as their prices continue to fall. I'd love to be wrong though but I'd be surprised if AMD announce a card for under $700 on Thursday.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the current scuttlebutt regarding RDNA3? Does the peanut gallery think it'll be somewhat competitive with the Geforce 40xx series?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the current scuttlebutt regarding RDNA3? Does the peanut gallery think it'll be somewhat competitive with the Geforce 40xx series?

I don't think anyone expects it to be on par with the 40 series as they are now, but those are so stupidly overpowered that it doesn't need to be. If they can be a decent bump in raster performance over the 6000 cards while improving the ray tracing side of things I think that'll be enough so long as they're sensibly priced. The most recent thing though is a leaker saying there's going to be a new XTX tier of cards alongside the existing XT class, so AMD's getting high on that side of things at least.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Combat Pretzel posted:

Only rumor I've seen is 2x raster & RT performance over the 6000 series.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If AMD can get RT performance equal to or better than 30 series, with improvements to raster, I might be moving to a full AMD build and giving my boyfriend my 3080.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think details have been very sparse. maybe it's just because there's no amd equivalent of kopite7kimi

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ijyt posted:

If AMD can get RT performance equal to or better than 30 series, with improvements to raster, I might be moving to a full AMD build and giving my boyfriend my 3080.

Wouldn't that be more or less a side-grade? Why not just keep the 3080 at that point?

(Assuming you're gaming, I don't know if you're doing some non-gaming thing that makes it worthwhile)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

this is AMDs generation to lose, but they'll probably find a way

Same way as always. If it's competitive, pricing will be dogshit. If it's not, pricing will be slightly lower dogshit and the only reason to get AMD is dislike of Nvidia or some niche.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wouldn't that be more or less a side-grade? Why not just keep the 3080 at that point?

(Assuming you're gaming, I don't know if you're doing some non-gaming thing that makes it worthwhile)

6000 series is already equal or slightly better in raster with the 30 series. the 6000 is just on par with the 20 series with RT.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
There's apparently at least 3 versions of the Nvidia 12VHPWR adapter floating around
* Igor's version, worse soldering pattern with 150V-rated cables
* Paul's Hardware's version, worse soldering pattern with 300V cables
* Gamers Nexus' version, better soldering pattern with 300V cables

(you can see the 300V on the cable in the PH video)

Wonder if the melting is due to some Nvidia supplier using poo poo manufacturing quality to cut costs and Nvidia QC not noticing it

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

BF's on a 1050 Ti and a 2600K and I want to upgrade his gear piecemeal, but not if NV wants £1300 for a 80 tier card.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What is the best nvidia card that still has a dual link dvi port? 2060 Super? Putting together a budget system for 1080p 120Hz/ 3DVision and I have everything on hand but a gpu.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ijyt posted:

BF's on a 1050 Ti and a 2600K and I want to upgrade his gear piecemeal, but not if NV wants £1300 for a 80 tier card.
As someone who owned a 2600K and just dumped their 6700K for a 12700K, pairing a 3080 with that will an enormous waste.

Enos Cabell posted:

What is the best nvidia card that still has a dual link dvi port? 2060 Super? Putting together a budget system for 1080p 120Hz/ 3DVision and I have everything on hand but a gpu.
Can you use a dongle?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I thought about buying a video card but then I tried one of these GPU VM services and I can now play poo poo like Rdr 2 4k @ 60fps ultra for $1/hr. With how little I actually game Nvidia can eat my rear end with these prices. At least until there's a card that will handle at least that for $400 or less

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 30, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Are the majority of the burnt cards still from ASUS or do we think thats just a fluke based on low sample size?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Malloc Voidstar posted:

There's apparently at least 3 versions of the Nvidia 12VHPWR adapter floating around
* Igor's version, worse soldering pattern with 150V-rated cables
* Paul's Hardware's version, worse soldering pattern with 300V cables
* Gamers Nexus' version, better soldering pattern with 300V cables

(you can see the 300V on the cable in the PH video)

Wonder if the melting is due to some Nvidia supplier using poo poo manufacturing quality to cut costs and Nvidia QC not noticing it

Capitalism 101 right there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Taima posted:

Are the majority of the burnt cards still from ASUS or do we think thats just a fluke based on low sample size?

3x Gigabyte
6x Asus
1x Galax
4x MSI

seems basically random, which is what you'd expect if the problem is the adapter which is apparently being supplied to everyone by nvidia

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Google Butt posted:

I thought about buying a video card but then I tried one of these GPU VM services and I can now play poo poo like Rdr 2 4k @ 60fps ultra for $1/hr. With how little I actually game Nvidia can eat my rear end with these prices.

who do you think profited off the card you are renting for $1/hr? There's only 2 choices.

I think streaming services are a fantastic option for people who don't want to own a gaming PC. Suspect that the people who make hardware and cloud racks see them as a fantastic opportunity to get revenue from their hardware from people who aren't willing to buy it retail, so I don't think anyone is eating your rear end as much as "profiting off you very slightly, but over an extended timeframe". And you're paying whatever GPU VM provider you're using, as well. Seems like a win-win for all parties?

I definitely don't game enough anymore to justify having bleeding edge everything, but I also probably will just keep doing that as long as life circumstances allow. The twice a month I find time to do VR cars make it worth it, maybe.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

does the 150v/300v distinction actually matter for this application? they're only putting 12v through the cables, surely the amp rating is what actually matters

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

repiv posted:

does the 150v/300v distinction actually matter for this application? they're only putting 12v through the cables, surely the amp rating is what actually matters

Yeah, the voltage rating is for the insulation not the wire. More volts requires thicker insulation since it is easier for the electricity to jump air gaps. More amps requires thicker wire since the internal resistance generates more heat with them.

The amount of watts that can be moved over the wire is a combination of volts and amps.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hobbesmaster posted:

Someone on Reddit recently posted the future nvidia wants:

tag yourself, i'm the suspect center of gravity of that contraption

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Do these adapters have part numbers or serial numbers or lot numbers or anything that could distinguish one batch from another aside from a teardown?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

repiv posted:

3x Gigabyte
6x Asus
1x Galax
4x MSI

Thanks brother. Interesting times indeed... I would expect an official response / proposed resolution sometime early next week.

Anyone have a guess for how they'll resolve this? Logistically it's going to be a little weird, and frankly, situations like this probably make Nvidia push even more aggressively towards dropping AIBs. Vertically aligning the entire stack is so appealing in situations like this. They could just queue up the shipping information of everyone with a 4090 and push them a new cable, and allow no question asked RMA for burnt connectros, problem 99% solved.

I would bet money that AIBs will either cease to exist, or effectively cease to exist in the sense that Nvidia provides all or most of the components by the 50xx series or at latest 60xx.

Nvidia wants to be Apple, it couldn't be any more clear. That has a lot of unfortunate implications for basically, well, everyone.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

DoombatINC posted:

Do these adapters have part numbers or serial numbers or lot numbers or anything that could distinguish one batch from another aside from a teardown?

I don't want to disconnect mine to tell you, sorry

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Taima posted:

Thanks brother. Interesting times indeed... I would expect an official response / proposed resolution sometime early next week.

Anyone have a guess for how they'll resolve this? Logistically it's going to be a little weird, and frankly, situations like this probably make Nvidia push even more aggressively towards dropping AIBs. Vertically aligning the entire stack is so appealing in situations like this. They could just queue up the shipping information of everyone with a 4090 and push them a new cable, and allow no question asked RMA for burnt connectros, problem 99% solved.

I would bet money that AIBs will either cease to exist, or effectively cease to exist in the sense that Nvidia provides all or most of the components by the 50xx series or at latest 60xx.

Nvidia wants to be Apple, it couldn't be any more clear. That has a lot of unfortunate implications for basically, well, everyone.

nvidia can't even hack the logistics for distributing their own fe cards internationally, so they'll still have aib's to kick around for a bit longer, or at least until they get fed up like evga

they're already busy (re-)rebadging the 4080 12gb's, so i'm sure this is positively delightful to them on top of everything else

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Combat Pretzel posted:

rumour is that Navi 31 is reaching 2x 6900XT (maybe 6950XT) in synthetic raster benchmarks, just like 4090 reached 2x 3090 Ti in similar benchmarks, so raster performance should be fairly competitive with the 4090 at least, with a lower TDP too. the real questions are just raytracing and price. the raytracing will be better than last gen, but how much better? as good as the 30 series, or better? will they just barely undercut Nvidia's absurd prices or price very aggressively?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, the voltage rating is for the insulation not the wire. More volts requires thicker insulation since it is easier for the electricity to jump air gaps. More amps requires thicker wire since the internal resistance generates more heat with them.
Over here in our factory, the difference is just the label. Doing it with the thicker insulation lowers the amount of faults per set length, which is cheaper than doing it with the "proper" thinner wall thickness and then fixing faulty lengths.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Google Butt posted:

I thought about buying a video card but then I tried one of these GPU VM services and I can now play poo poo like Rdr 2 4k @ 60fps ultra for $1/hr. With how little I actually game Nvidia can eat my rear end with these prices. At least until there's a card that will handle at least that for $400 or less

I was pretty impressed with GeForce Now, but that kind of is the opposite of having Nvidia eat your rear end. The Achilles heel of game streaming services is that you really need fast, reliable Internet, and that seriously undercuts one of the main use-cases I was considering it for - using my graphically-underpowered laptop for gaming while away from home. This is partly a regional thing, and if they ever roll out decent 5G service in my area then it might be a little more workable. That it also uses a poo poo-ton of data means that hitting data caps becomes more of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's also a shame parsec seem to have hit the pause button on most gaming-related things because they blew up as a wfh tool during the pandemic and got acquired by unity afterwards