Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The people who think a Switch is more comfortable to hold must have much smaller hands than I do, and I'm a beanpole with skinny hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm finding that I need to choose between using the right track pad and the back triggers, or the right stick and the right bumper. Trying to use the right pad and the face buttons is also pretty awkward.

I feel like I'm not really using the thing to its full potential, but there are just so many options that I get lost figuring out what's what. As far a comfort, it really isn't a comparison between this and the Hori Split Pad Pro I use on my Switch, the latter is much better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quixzlizx posted:

The people who think a Switch is more comfortable to hold must have much smaller hands than I do, and I'm a beanpole with skinny hands.

The Switch is way better for bed gaming, I can't hold the Deck up for long before it starts to dig into my hands.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I do think with the switch and the deck I kind of have all my bases covered in terms of games. I'm glad I never took the effort to buy an Xbox Series X/S.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Signalis on the Steam Deck runs excellently. Runs mostly 60fps, closer to 50 in more advanced locations. Great play if you're into old school Resident Evil and Silent Hill. It's on Gamepass but after playing a bit there, I ended up buying it to support the super small team of two developers that made it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anyone tried running cheatengine or something else on the deck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Lambeth posted:

I do think with the switch and the deck I kind of have all my bases covered in terms of games. I'm glad I never took the effort to buy an Xbox Series X/S.

This is me exactly. The last Xbox I had was the 360, and I've never even owned a Sony console (just didn't happen :shrug:). Spent way to long without a gaming PC, and now we have two, counting the deck. Switch gives me my weird and wonderful Nintendo games, deck for literally anything else I'd want.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 30, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm definitely among the group saying "Deck and Switch feels like a complete gaming experience, I don't need anything else". At this point I'm not even considering getting a PlayStation 5 or Xbox - not that an Xbox was ever seriously in consideration for me - and I'm even considering selling my PlayStation 4.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Hoping my 'deck arrives in a few days if not tomorrow, it's on its last leg from Malaysia and estimated at Thursday, but DHL over underpromise and overdeliver (hurr) in speed for me.

Saw this on a Facebook Group, very relevant to this group's interests.

https://steamyshirts.creator-spring.com/listing/vent-sniffer

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Am I likely to break anything by messing around with the Thermal Power Limit?

Playing Bad North at the minute which obviously isn’t the most demanding thing in the world. Noticed the fan was going mad and the performance settings were set to the default 15 watts. Dropped it down to 5 watts and the fans have settled down, with no noticeable performance dip.

For more powerful games, am I best leaving it at 15? I know some games on Proton DB will indicate these things but not all do.

Nothing bad will happen if you play around with the power limit, although if you set it too low for a given game you'll notice the performance will suffer.

For gaming while not plugged in, a recommended maximum is around 10-11 W (based on a test video done by the Phawx) because there are diminishing returns up to the 15 W max (in other words, going from 10 to 15 W will increase the power consumption of the APU by 33% but you'll get much less than a 33% increase in performance.) You should absolutely test out settings on a game-by-game basis and use the lowest power limit that's viable, however.

Note that Bad North runs fine on the Switch, which uses 10 W total system draw (so not just the APU/SoC) at maximum. (The Dreck can use 5-15 W for the APU and another 5 for everything else.)

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Every game that comes out simultaneously on the Deck and Switch I have to evaluate to figure out which one I want. Tactics Ogre too.

worms butthole guy posted:

I can't see a single instance where you would ever want a game on the switch over the deck.

If there's a less-demanding, 2D game or whatever that runs fine on the Switch I'd be fine getting it there, unless there's some other reason to get a PC version (like mod support.) As I wrote much earlier, my plan is to play more demanding games on the Dreck and leave the easy stuff for the Switch.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've invested a lot of time into my dead cells game on the switch and I can't really see why it would be that much better on the steam deck. I gotta invest more in those nintendo exclusives though.

Dead Cells is definitely a game that runs just fine on the Switch. Anything like Celeste, Shovel/Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, etc., are more than fine to play on the Switch and frankly are kind of a waste on the Dreck if you have the option.

Nickoten posted:

If the software is on both platforms and cost and performance were the same, and modding weren’t an issue, I’d pick the Switch version of a game most times. The Switch feels a lot better to hold and the docking experience for moving between handheld and the TV is nice and smooth, unlike my Valve dock which is incredibly finicky. I also never have to worry about small proton compatibility issues.

I got the Deck mostly to play games where this is not the scenario at hand though, which is a lot of them.

Quixzlizx posted:

I can only imagine the bold part being true if you have tiny, Tr*mp-sized hands, because the Switch is not ergonomically designed for adults! I have to use a grip/case (Satisfye or Skull & Co) to comfortably hold the Switch. The Dreck is much better to hold because of the built-in grips and controls layout (and aside from the weight.)

njsykora posted:

The Switch is way better for bed gaming, I can't hold the Deck up for long before it starts to dig into my hands.

Yeah the Dreck is definitely noticeably heavier. I don't feel it's too heavy to hold & use, but I find that after awhile my hands/wrists start cramping, like the small muscles are putting in a lot more effort to stabilize the device.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I will say that the recent deals on a Series S are pretty enticing: the system plus a game or extra controller for $250. It's not great as a current-gen system, but at that price it's a very affordable device to throw in the bedroom or basement or wherever. Like, the Dreck is more than double that price in the top two configurations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Atomizer posted:

If there's a less-demanding, 2D game or whatever that runs fine on the Switch I'd be fine getting it there, unless there's some other reason to get a PC version (like mod support.) As I wrote much earlier, my plan is to play more demanding games on the Dreck and leave the easy stuff for the Switch.
Maybe it's just that I have a launch Switch, but I feel like a properly managed Deck has better battery life than the Switch even for stuff the Switch runs well. My use case for the Switch nowadays is running through my backlog, Nintendo exclusives, and games where the control scheme is set up for controllers on Switch but is KB+M only on Steam (e.g. Diablo 3).

Atomizer posted:

I can only imagine the bold part being true if you have tiny, Tr*mp-sized hands, because the Switch is not ergonomically designed for adults! I have to use a grip/case (Satisfye or Skull & Co) to comfortably hold the Switch. The Dreck is much better to hold because of the built-in grips and controls layout (and aside from the weight.)

Yeah the Dreck is definitely noticeably heavier. I don't feel it's too heavy to hold & use, but I find that after awhile my hands/wrists start cramping, like the small muscles are putting in a lot more effort to stabilize the device.
I must be a weirdo then, because I find the switch and Deck both comfortable. I only bought a pair of Split Pad Pros for my Switch because I wanted a good D-Pad for use in handheld mode, and the Joy-Con D-Pad is absolutely terrible.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe it's just that I have a launch Switch, but I feel like a properly managed Deck has better battery life than the Switch even for stuff the Switch runs well. My use case for the Switch nowadays is running through my backlog, Nintendo exclusives, and games where the control scheme is set up for controllers on Switch but is KB+M only on Steam (e.g. Diablo 3).

I must be a weirdo then, because I find the switch and Deck both comfortable. I only bought a pair of Split Pad Pros for my Switch because I wanted a good D-Pad for use in handheld mode, and the Joy-Con D-Pad is absolutely terrible.

The Switch has a 16 W hour battery versus 40 W hour in the Dreck, although the latter of course has a higher potential power draw (like double.) The Switch can use very little power in less demanding scenarios, but you can probably manage better battery life on the Dreck (on a game-per-game basis) if you know what you're doing. It's just that the Dreck is capable of playing more demanding games, but it uses more power to do so, so it's not unpredictable that someone might get 2 hours (20 W from the 40 W h battery) playing CoD or whatever, compared to say 4 hours (4 W from 16 W h) on the Switch playing Mario Maker.

The Split Pad Pro is precisely the kind of grip that I mention makes the Switch more comfortable to hold! I mean maybe you're insisting that the stock joy-cons are fine for you, but if you also find the Split Pads comfortable then I'm willing to bet you find them more comfortable even if you're not willing to admit/realize it.

It's fine if you consider the stock Switch comfortable, but it's not for a lot of people: the controls are along the edges of the joy-cons, and there's nothing to grip around in the back, so you either hold the whole thing with your fingertips so you can reach the controls, or you cradle the device in your palms and curl your fingers uncomfortably to use the controls. (Or I guess unless you have tiny hands like our least-favorite tangerine terrorist traitor. :shrug:)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the Split Pads and Deck are pretty much objectively better designed ergonomically than the joycons, no argument there. I'm just saying that people generally seem to be in one camp or the other when it comes to Switch vs Deck comfort zones. Either the Deck is too heavy or the Switch gives hand cramps, that kind of thing. But for me, I played the Switch almost exclusively handheld for the first two years or so that I owned it, without any cramps. Coming off the 3DS might have helped though, pre-Switch handheld consoles were worse ergonomically than the Switch.

Anyways I'm admitting that I seem to be an outlier in this argument.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It is still super weird going from the Deck to the Switch though just because of how much smaller the latter is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it really feels like a tablet compared to the Deck, which is more like the Wii U Gamepad.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

anyone tried running cheatengine or something else on the deck?

I've not tried yet but from what I've read cheat tables/engine like things are possible.

I came across a reddit post taking about a couple of different linux based alternatives but I've not had the time/effort to test them.

Not seen a goon verified approach being mentioned but if there was one, that would be ace.

I use wemod on PC because the reliability of finding up to date and working cheat tables ended up being too much of a pain. Wemod isn't on Linux though.

If we could use something like cheat engine though, that would basically make the deck complete. I'd be able to play almost all of my games from almost all of my consoles in almost any way I want.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't stand playing the Switch in portable mode but I'm also not even considering getting a steam dock. The deck feels so much more comfortable.

Also, assuming I do someday dock it and want to use a controller, what controller is going to have a) touch-sensitive thumbsticks and b) the 4 back buttons?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't mind using the dock occasionally it's nice to have a bigger screen occasionally. My main use is still portable on the couch. Its also nice to be able to plug in a keyboard/ mouse for needs on desktop mode. And honestly sometimes when I'm working from home the deck sits behind my keyboard docked.and I'll use a control if I'm on a call where I don't really need to pay attention.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

So here's a tricky one.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines has a known issue where input doesn't register at all. As in, the steam keyboard isn't seen by the game and binding keys does nothing, only joystick mouse and LMB seem to work.

Protondb has suggestions to run it in a super old version of proton to fix input but my current mod setup doesn't want to start up with anything less than 7/experimental.

My next workaround was running it from desktop mode which fixes the input issue, but now the steam keyboard appears behind game window, and losing the keyboard minimizes the window.

So the only thing I've found is using my smartphone as a Bluetooth keyboard, which obviously kinda sucks.

I think this has something to do with the fact that the game starts minimized. I've tried messing with the settings for keeping the game window under others but nothing quite works.

Any suggestions?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, assuming I do someday dock it and want to use a controller, what controller is going to have a) touch-sensitive thumbsticks and b) the 4 back buttons?
You could get another Deck to control your docked Deck. Maybe just get a PC though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I figured out why Ballisticng isn't verified lol

It doesn't seem to respond to controls when undocked, unless using a keyboard configuration for some reason

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't stand playing the Switch in portable mode but I'm also not even considering getting a steam dock. The deck feels so much more comfortable.

The PS5 controller is my favorite so far for docked mode, I'm very done with xbox and their refusal to implement gyro.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 30, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah it would be nice to have a controller that supports both gyro and analog triggers. The SN30 Pro 2 does, but not at the same time. Although the only game for which it's been a problem is one part of Outer Wilds, and to a lesser extent Metroid: Other M based on the control scheme I setup for it.

Not sure it's worth buying a DS4 just for that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I need gyro support, so the Xbox controllers can go suck a gently caress. I'm sure they're wonderful in the rest of the ways a controller can be great but no gyro is a deal breaker for me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't like any gyro I've tried :o:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i 100% require back paddles on controllers at this point, even as only a substitute for LS & RS

That said the Deck's feel odd to use. I keep thinking they should be pressed by squeezing into the grips, so kinda sideways, like the 8bitdo Pro 2; but I guess you're supposed to press them toward the front instead?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

i 100% require back paddles on controllers at this point, even as only a substitute for LS & RS

That said the Deck's feel odd to use. I keep thinking they should be pressed by squeezing into the grips, so kinda sideways, like the 8bitdo Pro 2; but I guess you're supposed to press them toward the front instead?

Yes, they're hinged at the grip so you need to press them on the inner edge towards the center of the Deck.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Who was the poster here that did some tweaking on the thing for getting PS remote play working on the Deck? Any chance of rhat getting added to the OP?

My deck is now boxed up and being collected tomorrow to see if the dead pixel can be sorted. I already miss having Vampire Survivors in my hands. Stupid addictive nonsense game.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's called steamdeck4chiaki

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

That's the one. Am I right in thinking that a goon tweaked it a bit, and there was now an extra step, or has all that been rolled into the latest revision of it?

Also thanks to the poster aaaages ago who mentioned the Nreal Airs. I got a pair through EE in the UK, and they're pretty dang cool.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

worms butthole guy posted:

It's called steamdeck4chiaki

It’s chiaki4deck

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

RBA Starblade posted:

I figured out why Ballisticng isn't verified lol

It doesn't seem to respond to controls when undocked, unless using a keyboard configuration for some reason

I have had other weird issues with ballisticng like it just not booting.

I played a bunch of it last month but now I just cant get it to boot, was going to check how my controller was setup because I don't remember having issues with that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I installed Emudeck but never got around to configuring it fully. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Emudeck 2, is it something I can upgrade or should I just uninstall 1 since I didn't fully configure it yet?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Medullah posted:

I installed Emudeck but never got around to configuring it fully. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Emudeck 2, is it something I can upgrade or should I just uninstall 1 since I didn't fully configure it yet?

You can just upgrade it from whatever your current version is and with the quick upgrade options it'll set all the options to the same as it would be on a clean install.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Medullah posted:

Upgrading will probably be easiest-- there were some reports of folks losing memory card data IIRC, but if you haven't configured and actually started emulating anything you should be fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't lost any data that I can find, but PS1 emulation has completely flaked out under the new updates, Duckstation won't even launch, and the PS1 cores in retroarch crash consistently.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I had yo reformat my Deck, but I still have lots of games on my SD card. How do I get the deck to recognize them

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Installed Steam games? You should be able to point Steam at them as an external library and have it recognize them IIRC.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'll dig around the settings then thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some of the FF6 Pixel Remake. Two things:

1: Game is a lot of fun. I'm not that into turn based rpgs and I still dunno if I'll finish it, but thus far I am enjoying the cool art, sweet music, and gameplay variety.
2: Looks and performs perfectly on the deck. It's not verified but as far as I can tell the only reason why is because you have to know to do the deck keyboard shortcut when naming characters.