Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

IronicDongz posted:

the axes don't even do much damage when they hit. extremely not worth

They'll one-shot a cultist if you get them in the head.

Are you guys holding down the throw button, though? I was just tapping it and getting nowhere until I realised it works the same way as the normal (not full-force) tnt throw.

Game's got so much ammo in it though, especially for the sten, there's no reason to be getting good with axes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

They'll one-shot a cultist if you get them in the head.
Right, which is imo way too precise for something with such a long windup and a pretty awkward throwing arc.

It really sucks to charge up a throw and have them immediately throw right as you do and block it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cool ideas but that looks extremely unpleasant to play.
After watching I don’t think I’ll be making another run at the game. The enemies are really spongey and you just have to keep holding down the fire button until they’re dead. Not really a satisfying gameplay loop. I’d forgotten about the wall friction but remembered the cramped settings. Part of what had me annoyed so much I stopped playing the first time was I kept running into trees in the forest and slowing down.

The story is interesting and the levels look pretty great in a lot of parts. But after watching Ross suffer through the final bosses I don’t think I want to go back to try again. It’s not Realms of the Haunting where I’m willing to overlook most of its flaws.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I was farting around randomly on the first map of Cultic and came across this easter egg :haw: .. doesn't count as a secret though:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_wDPQqOnV8
New Wolf3D map I made as a part of a map jam with several other mappers from the Wolfsource discord, coming Soon™.
It's been done so often, but the "Important item surrounded by geometrical shapes of lesser pickups" setup is somehow always pleasing to the eye.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i dont know what i was expecting from death wish but it wasnt (level 2 spoilers) the ghost of tchernobog trying to run me over with a greyhound bus

so far its really nuts. i was expecting a really good level set but its a lot more cinematic and crazy than i expected. there are both cutscenes and incredible visuals in the levels themselves. im not very far in but what ive seen has been top notch
Oh, you're in for for a lot.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Casimir Radon posted:

You think that’s cool? And it is Check this out.

I can't jump over the pipe after I take out the second dude at the locked door.:( How do I do it?! I never played this game before!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've never felt like it was particularly difficult to headshot cultists with thrown hatchets in CULTIC, but it seems more like a novelty than a realistic strategy--particularly since, even on "Extreme" difficulty, there aren't very many situations where I'm so starved for ammo that thrown hatchets become a practical tool. I suppose I appreciate the option though.

I would be more inclined to use it if it was throwing a pitchfork like a spear and impaling enemies on walls.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
on both my playthroughs(very hard and then extreme) I literally never ran out of ammo and needed to resort to hatchets

I guess if I was using them more often I'd learn to headshot with them better, but why would I do that

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Carpator Diei posted:

It's been done so often, but the "Important item surrounded by geometrical shapes of lesser pickups" setup is somehow always pleasing to the eye.

In my maps, it's also often a cue that you are going to die when you pick up that item. :getin:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Between Ross and Civie not bothering with System Shock because of the controls I'm starting to think SS1 just isn't for wusses. :colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i gotta say that one thing im not a huge fan of in cultic is the weapon upgrading

like on one hand its a means of more granular progression, but on the other hand it makes missing secrets feel more punitive, and it seems like a high % of the weapon parts are in secrets. in other games you can always basically replace whats in a secret by just playing the game more. an early rocket launcher in doom 2 is nice, but if you miss it its no biggie.

but with cultic like, you permenantly miss out on what is a finite resource. and idk if theres a way to balance it to feel good. #

it also means that the weapons are gonna feel either underpowered when you get them, or overpowered eventually.

i dont think it harms the game very much, but its not my preference because of how it affects the players power-over-time in a fairly unpredictable way which i think will make making custom maps and episodes more annoying

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd like to see weapons upgrades going even further, have ones like damage, reload speed, and clip size let you keep piling the upgrades on for larger and larger upgrade costs. Wanna dump all your upgrades into pistol damage? Go for it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

manero posted:

I was farting around randomly on the first map of Cultic and came across this easter egg :haw: .. doesn't count as a secret though:

Honestly it's kind of weird that there's a prominent chainsaw wielding enemy in the game but you can't take their chainsaw after killing them

IronicDongz posted:

on both my playthroughs(very hard and then extreme) I literally never ran out of ammo and needed to resort to hatchets

I guess if I was using them more often I'd learn to headshot with them better, but why would I do that

True after level 1 my pistol ammo has yet to drop below 150(and usually hovers between 200 and 300 or more), particularly as I've gotten better at landing the headshot combo and enough ammo popped up for other guns that I could start using them more regularly as well

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i gotta say that one thing im not a huge fan of in cultic is the weapon upgrading

I suspect I'm on the other side of the fence with this one, but I get your perspective. Often times, secrets in FPS games feel too mediocre to me--some extra armor or ammo, maybe an early weapon (but when a game only has 8-10 total weapons, that can only happen so many times) etc.

So I'm always stoked when I find a secret weapon part in Cultic because it feels like a tangible improvement. I think I appreciate the fact that the weapon upgrades feel substantial without necessarily feeling OP, irrelevant, or necessary to the player's success.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd like to see weapons upgrades going even further, have ones like damage, reload speed, and clip size let you keep piling the upgrades on for larger and larger upgrade costs. Wanna dump all your upgrades into pistol damage? Go for it.

Don't mind my "1191 .45-Auto" with four more pistol grips and...twenty? additional barrels, muzzle brakes, and suppressors.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Don't mind my "1191 .45-Auto" with four more pistol grips and...twenty? additional barrels, muzzle brakes, and suppressors.

I want a Resonance of Fate remake with your gun upgrades reflected on your model. Let's get stupid with it!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

bbcisdabomb posted:

I want a Resonance of Fate remake with your gun upgrades reflected on your model. Let's get stupid with it!

:sickos:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The craziest thing about Blood Wish is that its ALL vanilla. No new assets, as far as I know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You can get most of the good/best upgrades from the weapon parts you come across - I only found a secret or two and I had all the upgrades I really wanted by the end. I was worried early on it'd be bad but on most of the guns there was an upgrade or two that were shrugs so it didn't end up feeling bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 30, 2022

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Between Ross and Civie not bothering with System Shock because of the controls I'm starting to think SS1 just isn't for wusses. :colbert:

They don't even have that excuse now, it's supported WASD+mouselook since before the official release.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Resonance of Fate is one of those games I really wish I enjoyed because it seems like there's a lot of loving around potential.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

They don't even have that excuse now, it's supported WASD+mouselook since before the official release.

Yeah like wasn't the big mod/wrapper for System Shock before any big re-release was essentially "we added mouselook and WASD"?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Deakul posted:

What? I kind of love the level design, there's so many ways to approach situations.

I think I wasn't objective enough when I wrote that, there more than a pair of exceptions of good level design in Cultic. But also near 40% of the maps features a few too many 'narrow linear corridors joined by square empty rooms' imo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
after 5 months of work the first build of The Force Engine with gpu renderer support has dropped

https://theforceengine.github.io/downloads.html

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think the levels in Cultic work out pretty well, not quite as varied as some other retro and retro style FPS games but then Cultic has tighter focus than many of it's brethren, definitely feels like kind of a halfway point between what Doom Engine and Build Engine games were doing with their levels and the more modern style of level design, like more modern than Quake 1, but not quite where Half-Life 1 ended up

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah like wasn't the big mod/wrapper for System Shock before any big re-release was essentially "we added mouselook and WASD"?

Yeah, System Shock Portable goes back to 2006 (using VDMSound and my highres hack) and by 2010 it had Dosbox integration and Malba Tahan's mouselook & key remapping hack built in, so you've been able to play SS1 with modern controls and no driver fuckery for twelve years now.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

This comes out for pre-order tomorrow:
https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/i-m-too-young-to-die-the-ultimate-guide-to-first-person-shooters-1992-2002

I'm probably going to get it. I've got about 4 of their books and they're always top-notch.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
Someone has modded the Blood cultist voices into Cultic: https://youtu.be/nnIwpUihbpM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chinook posted:

https://www.bitmapbooks.com/products/i-m-too-young-to-die-the-ultimate-guide-to-first-person-shooters-1992-2002

I'm probably going to get it. I've got about 4 of their books and they're always top-notch.

Holy poo poo. This looks incredible.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ZK8_XAeXM

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He went silent on Twitter for a bit when Cultic came out so this is entirely unsurprising.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chinook posted:

Yeah that looks like fun, I will have to pick a copy up.

The FPS Documentary I've seen a few tweets about over the past year apparently is on track to be released in December, have to see how that turns out as well. I've had a look at a number of fan-made genre documentaries recently and they are made with passion, but also without exception they are all very long, like they couldn't bear to edit their baby project. I hope 'FPS' isn't another four or five hour marathon.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I think this is the first time ever I'll have finished a new FPS before the Civvie video. I almost had him with Cruelty Squad but those last couple levels were killers.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo. This looks incredible.

All their books are loving great. Strong recommend!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Someone has modded the Blood cultist voices into Cultic: https://youtu.be/nnIwpUihbpM

:discourse:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

after 5 months of work the first build of The Force Engine with gpu renderer support has dropped

https://theforceengine.github.io/downloads.html

Third post in a row but gently caress I've waiting for this for a long time!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The sprite rotation in Cultic is wrong and the dev says it's deliberate and will not be changed.

0/10.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Weeeelp, this sold me on Cultic at least enough to redownload the demo to give it a full playthrough.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

The sprite rotation in Cultic is wrong and the dev says it's deliberate and will not be changed.

0/10.

Yeah :barf:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Cultic really goes for splashy, literally splashy sound effects- you can tell you've killed something by the way it sounds like you've just thrown a water balloon and splashed a bucket of water at the same time, and the small first aid kits that enemies drop sound like you dropped something into a bucket of water. I've never heard sound design quite like it. It really seems the idea that you've just splattered, literally splattered, a cultist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Turbo Overkill trailer just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFbRauarSY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Cultic really goes for splashy, literally splashy sound effects- you can tell you've killed something by the way it sounds like you've just thrown a water balloon and splashed a bucket of water at the same time, and the small first aid kits that enemies drop sound like you dropped something into a bucket of water. I've never heard sound design quite like it. It really seems the idea that you've just splattered, literally splattered, a cultist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUReVQv9tvo