Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
same with Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

HallelujahLee posted:

lol this must be catastrophic for the shitlibs

Washington went for Biden by nearly TWENTY over Trump; catastrophic does not begin to describe what Patty Murray losing would signal

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Losing Washington would be the beginning of the end for the Dems as a national party, and their transformation into some sort of weird rump party. Seattle's packed to the gills with shitlibs, and if they can't even win here, they're basically unviable. I have no idea who would replace them (or whether we'd just live in a straight up theocracy at that point), but it sure wouldn't be the Democrats of today.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kreeblah posted:

Losing Washington would be the beginning of the end for the Dems as a national party, and their transformation into some sort of weird rump party. Seattle's packed to the gills with shitlibs, and if they can't even win here, they're basically unviable. I have no idea who would replace them (or whether we'd just live in a straight up theocracy at that point), but it sure wouldn't be the Democrats of today.

Win or lose the writing is on the wall. Dems aren't going to get stronger from here on out so even if they hang onto Washington this cycle they'll lose it soon.

They're already losing Oregon.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, the Republicans may take the governor seat in Oregon as well. It isn't looking good.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

lmao if it’s even close in washington they’re absolutely getting slaughtered everywhere else

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_Senate_election_in_Washington

In 2010 she only won by 5 points, if its within a single point this time then loving lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the Republicans may take the governor seat in Oregon as well. It isn't looking good.

Now if yall wanna know how hosed up this one is:

Last GOP/non-Dem Oregon governor left office in Jan 1987,
2002 (3.2%) and 2010 (less than 2%) were the only elections since then where it was even closer than 4%,
the outgoing gov won both times by ~7%

538 has the Dem candidate (Kotek) tied :rubby: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Oregon_gubernatorial_election#Polling_3

fast cars loose anus posted:

Washington went for Biden by nearly TWENTY over Trump; catastrophic does not begin to describe what Patty Murray losing would signal

Oregon was more than 16%

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, the map probably isn't looking great for the Democrats in 2024 right? (Beyond just an economic crisis, SCOTUS decisions, Biden being a lame duck/no real candidate etc etc)

I mean the GOP is going to run the US into the ground, but the Democrats seem to do everything possible to make it assured.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ardennes posted:

Also, the map probably isn't looking great for the Democrats in 2024 right? (Beyond just an economic crisis, SCOTUS decisions, Biden being a lame duck/no real candidate etc etc)

I mean the GOP is going to run the US into the ground, but the Democrats seem to do everything possible to make it assured.
the map is great for them this year so you can draw your own conclusions about what that means for 2024

noteworthy that bernie sanders is up

(seriously though, looks like R plays defense on 0 relevant seats unless the Betomentum finally becomes real, D gets to defend Sinema, Manchin, WI, OH, PA, CA, VA, MI, and that's just a quick look at the list)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its not gonna be pretty, but it's also kinda funny that the dems are such a waste that the us is gonna VOTE turbofascism into office

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

its not gonna be pretty, but it's also kinda funny that the dems are such a waste that the us is gonna VOTE turbofascism into office

It is the natural choice of no options, the Democrats have made it clear this is the way things are going to be and it is intolerable for much of the population. The Republican have their base, but they need the general population to throw up their hands to take over.

Also, I would argue it is a difference of far-right flavors. The Republicans are short-sighted accelerations that don’t seem particularly concerned with the long term stability of the regime while the Democrats are obsessed with it.

I wonder how much of is that many Republicans deep down don’t particularly care for the US (or how it has existed since the 19th century) and rather have their own statelets. If you told Mormons/evangelicals/neo-neoconfederats/white nationalists they could have their own fully autonomous zones and the US would just be the Articles of Confederation with protected gun rights, how many would take the offer?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Oct 30, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ardennes posted:

a great tragedy is that while the democrats losing is fully justified and hilarious, the republicans are the ones who benefit.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a great tragedy is that while the democrats losing is fully justified and hilarious, the republicans are the ones who benefit.

The way I see it is the self-inflected implosion of the American "one party with two wings" system. The Republicans in all honesty are going to utterly lovely things, but arguably it is also simply the result of a system that is closing on the end of its life span.

There are only so many taxes/government services you can cut before you box yourself into a corner where there is nowhere to go. While in the short-term rates are rising, I could actually see the US Dollar being in trouble in the not too distant future because of it. There is going to be absolute destruction coming and eventually it is going to make both the USD, and then eventually the system itself, crumble.

(Also, I think the coming recession is going to be as bad as 2008, maybe worse.)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

It is the natural choice of no options, the Democrats have made it clear this is the way things are going to be and it is intolerable for much of the population. The Republican have their base, but they need the general population to throw up their hands to take over.

Also, I would argue it is a difference of far-right flavors. The Republicans are short-sighted accelerations that don’t seem particularly concerned with the long term stability of the regime while the Democrats are obsessed with it.

eh, i mean, the dems might claim that but they sure as hell refuse to actually do anything to uphold the long-term stability of the system

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao at this story about nevada; dems are just outright lying to latino voters there:

quote:

After Salomon has secured a commitment to vote from Roberto (who asked that his last name not be used), he has another request. There’s a QR code on the door hangers that Salomon is handing out. It links to a petition that Salomon says will help bring down the cost of housing by capping rent increases at 5% per year. “Controlling the rent would be good, right?” Salomon says in Spanish. “Well, yes,” Roberto says, “it would be beneficial to me.” Roberto agrees to sign, and Salomon enters his information into a browser on his phone.

In fact, the “Neighborhood Stabilization” petition is a gimmick. It won’t go on any ballot and has no official standing. (A version of the initiative failed to qualify for the ballot in the municipality of North Las Vegas in August.) It’s purely symbolic, aimed at making voters feel like Democrats are doing something at a time when many feel whipsawed by forces outside their control.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

eh, i mean, the dems might claim that but they sure as hell refuse to actually do anything to uphold the long-term stability of the system

Well, I would say effectively hold it up, their line at least is that they are doing a great job at uphold the system. It is just that since both sides are completely incompetent/captured, the results aren’t that different.

Arguably, Biden’s advisors thought Ukraine was going to be some type of great investment that was going to keep the US in power for generations to come. It just backfired as much as everything the Democrats do.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Oct 30, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
maybe if the dems suffer a catastrophic defeat they'll learn their lesson and get better :kiddo:

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
feeling very whipsawed

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao at this story about nevada; dems are just outright lying to latino voters there:

jesus. at least there are ostensibly real jobs in martha's vineyard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Well, I would say effectively hold it up, their line at least is that they are doing a great job at uphold the system. It is just that since both sides are completely incompetent/captured, the results aren’t that different.

Arguably, Biden’s advisors thought Ukraine was going to be some type of great investment that was going to keep the US in power for generations to come. It just backfired as much as everything the Democrats do.

the messaging at the beginning of the year was that russia would collapse in a matter of weeks or months, and I don't see why everyone in charge wouldn't have believed that

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/JoelWeingart_/status/1586749301820166147

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe if the Dems had addressed material conditions instead of telling everyone things were fine they wouldn't be speedrunning the Weimar.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we're gonna need, and we will receive, new verbs to describe what happened to dems.

but they did it to themselves

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

heard from my sources that the dems will move from strength to strength in 2022. any confirmation?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Maybe if the Dems had addressed material conditions instead of telling everyone things were fine they wouldn't be speedrunning the Weimar.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Looking forward to the Freikorps!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Biden literally acting out the ice cream meme nearly broke my brain

https://twitter.com/Xeriland/status/1586718969641291776

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not sure if you weren't aware but the biden ice cream wojak is traced off a real photo.

him literally acting out the meme is pretty nuts though yeah

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Oct 30, 2022

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/leezeldin/status/1586538610995564544

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The chuddiest part of New York other than Staten Island and parts of upstate has a bunch of CHUDs, news at 11.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah my relatives live on Long Island and they're all huge pieces of poo poo. my grandfather moved the family out of Brooklyn in the early 70s for the reason you might presume.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

um actually i think you'll find that they should have embedded ducklo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

Not sure if you weren't aware but the biden ice cream wojak is traced off a real photo.

him literally acting out the meme is pretty nuts though yeah

I'd never seen the real photo but it makes sense since "look at joe eat ice cream isn't he relatable" is about 50% of Biden's public appearances these days

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

you think you can just embed ducklo wherever and whenever you want?!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

they tried but then cancel culture made them unembed him and that sealed the midterms

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

redneck nazgul posted:

i'm gonna embed!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cerebral Bore posted:

or bates

people always get the strat wrong

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the white hand posted:

we're gonna need, and we will receive, new verbs to describe what happened to dems.

but they did it to themselves

what's the next-worse step from a "shellacking"? Because it'd sure be something if dems topped their 2010 congressional losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Did they embed bates?