Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Has Audi announced any larger EVs like Q5/Q7 size yet? The Q4 is juuuust a little too small and a Q5 would be good and have all the fancy doodads I like.

My main upcoming/theoretical cars I am most interested in are:

Kia EV9/Hyundai Ioniq7
Volvo EX90
Audi Q5/Q7 size EV
BMW iX

The volvo/audi/bmw are getting a little out of my comfortable price range though..

Fat E-tron? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRAHHjaDfQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I thought the e-tron was a little smaller but I might be wrong, I should take another look!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I thought the e-tron was a little smaller but I might be wrong, I should take another look!

I'm not an Audi-knower but I think there are a bunch of E-trons and this 55 SUV is the hugest? Looking at the specs, 4,901mm long vs 4,682.

https://www.carsized.com/en/cars/compare/audi-e-tron-2018-suv-vs-audi-q7-2005-suv/

Also just saw Teslabjorn also has a review of the Buzz van, perfect for all his banana boxes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMHzvKX8ec

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh I had looked at the etron before and found the rear cargo small, maybe it is the same size as the Q5 or around there, too small.

Basically would like 35cu ft of usable space behind the 2nd row for dog kennels. The iX is the only one I’ve seen with that so far.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

TheFluff posted:

The hydrogen is only really dangerous if the battery is mounted in an enclosed compartment, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but since the cause of the venting is not known it's probably not a good idea to try to use the battery (by driving the car) until you know why it's venting.

I know what an AGM battery is.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 30, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Elviscat posted:

I know what a loving AGM battery is.

It should not be venting hydrogen. The "V" in VRLA is a safety device that only actuates in abnormal conditions, to prevent rupturing the case of the battery.

An AGM battery venting hydrogen is absolutely a safety hazard. Especially in the engine bay of a car that has a venting, and therefore almost certainly overheating battery.

Yes it could be a fault in the converter that chargers the 12V battery from the HV battery. That is unlikely.

I used the word "short circuit" because not everyone in here is a huge :actually: loving nerd, and "a breakdown or defect in the permeable membrane separating the anode and cathode plates/meshes" isn't readily understood.

Do you want to explain the oxygen recombination cycle or some poo poo to me next?

Woah, Fluff's post didn't read at all antagonistic, chill out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Re Audi electric SUVs:

I tried out the q4 etron and the etron last week.

Both were nice enough, but had no "wow" factor, unlike the i4 I tried out a few months back.

If I'm spending that sort of money, it should be fun to drive at least, and neither of the Audi e-SUVs were.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Elviscat posted:

I used the word "short circuit" because not everyone in here is a huge :actually: loving nerd, and "a breakdown or defect in the permeable membrane separating the anode and cathode plates/meshes" isn't readily understood.
Calm down, you may be surprised by the significant population of "huge :actually: loving nerds" in this thread. Vehicles might be a favorite redneck pass-time subject but this is still the Electric Vehicle thread, lots of the people here are pretty drat knowledgeable when it comes to batteries.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Steakandchips posted:

Woah, Fluff's post didn't read at all antagonistic, chill out.

It's patronizing, edited anyway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steakandchips posted:

Re Audi electric SUVs:

Both were nice enough, but had no "wow" factor, unlike the i4 I tried out a few months back.

If I'm spending that sort of money, it should be fun to drive at least, and neither of the Audi e-SUVs were.

I haven't tried the Q4 but yeah the e-tron SUV is an absolute snoozefest. There was supposed to be an A6 EV but I haven't heard it mentioned in ages.

The Macan EV would be worth a look, but again has been delayed I think into 2024 at this point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elviscat posted:

It's patronizing, edited anyway.

It’s a Fluff post

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
e: no, that was a stupid and immature response

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 30, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ya’ll a bunch of crabby motherfuckers lately.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Ya’ll a bunch of crabby motherfuckers lately.

It's because Three Olives still doesn't have his Mach E yet.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Steakandchips posted:

Re Audi electric SUVs:

I mean, it kind of depends on the driver and what you are doing:

Evil_Greven posted:

Apparently, this is what happens when you give one to a rally driver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYsVwWpJ3I
They probably shouldn't have left the trailer attachment on, though.

Evil_Greven posted:

An absolute madman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSRtqBTkPVY
And he's running it solo and stock.

That said, I never got to drive one before I got my XC40 EV.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 1, 2022

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Got the EUV back. They replaced the 12v battery and fixed a problem with the navigation SD card. So far, all is well. AND we got the weathertech mats in!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So looking at replacing the two year old e-Niro with something slightly more peppy.

Been test driving EV6, I4 and Ioniq 5 lately.

EV6 (AWD, GT-Line)
+ Nicely equipped
+ Looks great
+ Fast charging (though I wish they'd offer a manual battery preconditioning option)
+ Impressive performance
+ Roomy backseat for the kids
+ Good warranty and reasonable local dealer
+ Readily available if you are fine with getting a demo vehicle
- Stupid door handles (we have winter here and it is an issue for owners)
- HUD kind of sucky

Ioniq 5 (RWD, not sure about package)
+ Cheaper than the EV6
+ Looks badass
+ Can move backseat around a bit
- Stupid door handles
- Felt like I was in a 1987 VW Transporter or something. I get this is some minimalist interior thing but it just felt..cheap.
- Wiperless rear window seems more prone to dust/dirt/rain gathering than EV6
- RWD version a bit underwhelming, I imagine an AWD one is similar to EV6
- Very hard to find here
- HUD sucks as much as the EV6 one, really feels like you're staring at a screen in front of you

I4 (M50)
+ Absolutely bonkers performance (TBH I'd probably look at the eDrive40 if I get an I4)
+ Much more premium feeling interior
+ HUD really nice, the info just hovers in the air and doesn't seem projected
+ Surprisingly large trunk
+ No stupid door handles
- Stupid frameless windows
- Expensive (list price seems reasonable but if you want, well, just about _any_ equipment suddenly you add 20% on top of that)
- BMW stigma
- Almost impossible to find right now
- Not a pure EV platform so you have a transmission tunnel making middle rear seat less than ideal

I prioritize being able to tow a small trailer on occasion, having enough room that I can stuff three kids in the back for an hour long drive without it being a disaster, enough trunk to haul some useful poo poo around, and being fun to drive.

Ioniq 5 just feels like a worse vehicle than the EV6 in every way except the price. This surprised me since I thought I would really like it.

Feels like the EV6 is the most sensible option here. I like the I4 but it's like a 10-12 month waiting time and I think the backseat is a bit cramped.

Anything else I should look at? Mach E is pretty pricey here and I also hate Ford in general so no. Skoda has their Enyaq 80X and RS, but they seem nowhere as quick as the EV6 despite having nearly the same horsepower.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So looking at replacing the two year old e-Niro with something slightly more peppy.

EV6 (AWD, GT-Line)
+ Nicely equipped
+ Looks great
+ Fast charging (though I wish they'd offer a manual battery preconditioning option)
+ Impressive performance
- HUD kind of sucky

+ Cheaper than the EV6
+ Looks badass
- Stupid door handles
- Felt like I was in a 1987 VW Transporter or something. I get this is some minimalist interior thing but it just felt..cheap.
- Very hard to find here
- HUD sucks as much as the EV6 one, really feels like you're staring at a screen in front of you

I4 (M50)
+ Absolutely bonkers performance (TBH I'd probably look at the eDrive40 if I get an I4)
+ No stupid door handles
- Expensive (list price seems reasonable but if you want, well, just about _any_ equipment suddenly you add 20% on top of that)
- BMW stigma
- Not a pure EV platform so you have a transmission tunnel making middle rear seat less than ideal

I prioritize being able to tow a small trailer on occasion, having enough room that I can stuff three kids in the back for an hour long drive without it being a disaster, enough trunk to haul some useful poo poo around, and being fun to drive.

Ioniq 5 just feels like a worse vehicle than the EV6 in every way except the price. This surprised me since I thought I would really like it.

Feels like the EV6 is the most sensible option here. I like the I4 but it's like a 10-12 month waiting time and I think the backseat is a bit cramped.

Anything else I should look at? Mach E is pretty pricey here and I also hate Ford in general so no. Skoda has their Enyaq 80X and RS, but they seem nowhere as quick as the EV6 despite having nearly the same horsepower.

Model Y, especially the P checks all your requirements. The X even more so.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

mattfl posted:

Model Y, especially the P checks all your requirements. The X even more so.

I know it does, but I just hate Musk and his antics so god drat much it'd be painful to have one in the driveway. Also the service here appears not to be particularly good from talking to local Tesla owners.

Haven't driven one either, have tested some Model 3s and while they perform well I did not like the interior or quality feel. Maybe the Y is better there.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I know it does, but I just hate Musk and his antics so god drat much it'd be painful to have one in the driveway. Also the service here appears not to be particularly good from talking to local Tesla owners.

Haven't driven one either, have tested some Model 3s and while they perform well I did not like the interior or quality feel. Maybe the Y is better there.

Y interior is basically the same as the 3 interior, so, if you didn't like the 3 you won't like the Y. And yeah, Musk sucks, even more so lately. I choose to ignore him and enjoy my car though and I know some people can't do that, but my Y is really an excellent EV.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Go with the EV6. The door handle is stupid (non-powered on the Wind model cmon KIA) but thankfully I park indoors.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Musk is busy with twitter so he won't be able to gently caress Tesla up as much, now is the time to buy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Any reason you aren't looking at the SUV BMW EV? That thing seems to be pretty well regarded.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Any reason you aren't looking at the SUV BMW EV? That thing seems to be pretty well regarded.

Base price is way more than everything else listed there though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You thinking about the iX? Base on that thing is way higher than the other options unfortunately.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

bird with big dick posted:

Musk is busy with twitter so he won't be able to gently caress Tesla up as much, now is the time to buy.

Seems solid. On the advice of BWABD I’ve ordered a M3P.

e: also credit to that very funny cruft post.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 3, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Loucks posted:

:hmmyes:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got my snow tires on. Road trip to Colorado, probably Sunday.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loucks posted:

You are wise.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Ford apparently leaked part of the upcoming Sync fall full redesign in a new climate control instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9ufOEXa10

The screen wheel is now used to control the heated steering wheel, seats, temperature and fan speed.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Three Olives posted:

Ford apparently leaked part of the upcoming Sync fall full redesign in a new climate control instructional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9ufOEXa10

The screen wheel is now used to control the heated steering wheel, seats, temperature and fan speed.

Will you have to buy a whole new car to get this software update? Or are they actually going to OTA it?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

EV6 (AWD, GT-Line)
+ Nicely equipped
+ Looks great
+ Impressive performance
- HUD kind of sucky

+ Cheaper than the EV6
+ Looks badass
- Stupid door handles
- Very hard to find here

I4 (M50)
+ No stupid door handles
- BMW stigma

Feels like the EV6 is the most sensible option here.

Aside from the BMW, I've basically whittled my next purchase down to the Ioniq 5 and EV6 along with the Bolt/EUV and Niro EV. While I should do a test drive and make my own judgement, that's still helpful to know.

I'm basically down to two trains of thought; go with the former two that have the most advanced tech, particularly the fast DC charging go with the latter two that are more affordable especially with certain tax credits. Federal tax credits obviously only applies to the Bolt while NJ has a $4000 incentive for EVs that have an MSRP of less than $45k with a range of at least 160 miles and a $2000 incentive for MRSPs between $45k and $55k with a range of at least 80 miles. (Specifically, it's $25 per mile of range up to the aforementioned caps). There's also a sales and use tax exemption as well. That certainly bolsters the value of the Bolt/EUV with at least $7750 of discounts (I'm not entirely sure if the Bolt/EUV would be eligible for the full $7500 federal credit due to all that extra "Made in America" limitations) even if their tech and build quality doesn't compare all that well to the Ioniq and EV6. Depending on how nice the Niro is compared to the Bolt and what the availability ends up being, it's barely in running right now.

The question is whether to get something advanced or cheap. I'm kind of itching to get a backup car since my Forester XT is exhibiting signs of excessive oil consumption (Anywhere between 1/4 to 3/4 qt every 270-290 miles. Fortunately, I only drive between 100 to 150 miles a week and I can work from home if it comes to it.) and I'll obviously need another car if I'm going to take it to a shop to get it looked at or otherwise just outright replace it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Will you have to buy a whole new car to get this software update? Or are they actually going to OTA it?

OTA. There has been some question about the Android Automotive switch, Ford has said that old SYNC4A is not moving to Android Auto, I think they have been purposefully ambiguous on what exactly that means. Android Auto isn't "one thing" and the front end of SYNC 4A is all CCS.

I strongly suspect that, yes, Ford's Android Auto system will not be close to the same thing under the hood to SYNC4A, but it will share the same interface (Allowed) and Google Services will be virtualized in QNX (Supported).

Actually, my strongest suspicion is that it appears that SYNC 4 and SYNC 4A are completely different in architecture and designed to move from a QNX front end to a Android Automotive virtualized front end (Again, completely supported) and while the statements by Ford execs that Android Automotive won't be ported to SYNC 4A systems and this is all about marketing deals with Amazon and Google and the systems will be basically the same when Ford moves to Android Automotive.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

To be fair, OTA updates have been getting better. The first couple of updates on my Mach-E took about 5-6 months once they were published. Now, it’s more like a month or so.

As of today I got the 3.5.4.2 update which was originally released last month. Here’s the current version history for reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_Version_History#Versions

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I love my BMW I4, it's an awesome car

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Just bought a 2023 Bolt EUV premier in red with the sound & sun package (sunroof and nice speakers). The 23 doesn't have a credit, but I found a local dealership that agreed to sell me at MSRP since this thing was loaded with all the fancy poo poo anyway. With CA sales tax and all registration fees I paid right at $42k

It's definitely not a super peppy EV but it's a really comfy ride. Got Carplay and Android Auto, "Super Cruise" which works surprisingly well, overhead backup camera, heated/cooled seats, and the speakers sound great.

All in all it's quite a nice ride and will tide me over until the HOV stickers expire in Sep 2025 when hopefully there's a perfect EV for my fam.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Loucks posted:

Didn't you already have a tesla?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

knox_harrington posted:

Didn't you already have a tesla?

Yeah, but it’s a leased LR and they won’t let us buy out the lease. Might as well replace it with a more fun version.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
1 year update with the Polestar 2.
Other than having to occasionally reboot the console, and wishing it were bigger inside, it’s been pretty great.
Most of the year I did 110 volt charging and occasional fast charge @ EA, and it was almost always ok.
I think once I had to go charge quickly for a sudden trip and had to drive to two different charging stations before I found a free one.
In October I installed a Chargepoint L2 charger and with the Excel Energy and state rebates, I paid only $1400 for new/change 150 amp to 200 amp service, new 200 amp breaker box, hardwired L2 charger, and and an additional Nema 6-50 for welding. There’s like 4/5$ fee a month for the program but they warranty the charger/work.
Car is just always great to drive. Google hiccups But the car itself is outstanding. Resisting the urge to do stupid things and trying to be smooth is biggest challenge. I’m right on target with the lease @ 12K miles per year (11580).
My insurance discount has disappeared, where I used to get 90-100$ off in my ICE, I’m only getting 4-5$ off now lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Oh, first anniversary update for my Tesla Model Y Long Range:

I've taken a couple more long-distance road trips, and the car has been positively wonderful. Absolutely zero issues with charging. The other charging networks need to step up in a massive way. This most recent trip I got "rerout[ed] to a less busy charger", which changed my arrival SoC estimate from ~30% to ~15%. That's is better for everyone.

I finally got the mobile charger mega adapter pack. That helps my range paranoia significantly. My father has a couple different high-amperage outlets in his garage, and that completely knocked out the issue I had last year (where I could only charge on a standard household outlet).

I still think a small driver display/binnacle would be better than the one center screen. I'd rather use that entire screen for navigation, media, and climate control.

Snow tires are still up in the air for me right now. Not sure how I want to handle it (some new rims to permanently mount winter tires or just swapping out current tires). I'm going to need them soon, along with my New York inspection.

The 2021 MYLR suspension definitely doesn't shine on roads that are poorly maintained. I hope the stories of suspension updates are true, because that's probably the biggest complaint I have at this point.

I finally got my estimate for a Rivian R1S: Sometime in 2024. LOL. Was hoping to flip the Y and get an R1S, but that's gonna take a little bit, then.