Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

At a Star Trek party tonight.

Cellular peptide, I presume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
With mint frosting?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know it. Tasted a lot better than expected.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Nemesis is dogshit but the battle is okay. The bit where they know there's a cloaked ship nearby so just start yeeting phasers in every direction to find it was cool.

I just remember in a book where they had a similar issue but they used widebeam phasers to sweep because they remembered that was a thing (low power, but you can see a hit)\

CPColin posted:

It would have been cool if the phaser sweeping to find a cloaked ship were a thing that the Federation had developed a long time ago, but hadn't deployed widely because they didn't want to tip their hand to the Romulans

If I recall it was only because they knew it was unusually close by, normally ships are just far enough that you can't really phaser sweep because there's too much space out there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 30, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh I just looked up a bit of that battle and it's all close-up shots of screens where you can see the LCD pixels.

check out that 24th century tech

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

Oh come on, those were literally the best graphics available at the time of production. And they're really well designed as infographics. They're putting all they have into creating a reasonably realistic computer display from the 24th century. We should be celebrating their achievement, not mocking it since the state of the art has advanced. Hell, Lower Decks is, they've re-used elements of computer displays from as far back as TOS and did a really nice riff on TWK in every aspect of the visual design just this season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Oh come on, those were literally the best graphics available at the time of production.

No, even TNG on TV did substantially better by matting in elements instead of doing up-close filming of onset screens. That was how they did everything in movies too up until Nemesis, where it was extremely noticeable even when I saw it in theatre.

https://i.imgur.com/Nm6W1Gf.mp4

Admittedly that's from the remaster but the original did look the same, and it was absolutely a technique they could have used in films and did use during Generations/First Contact/Insurrection: for the previous Enterprise-E films in particular they had a whole load of inset screens for background animations but would matte for closeups.

(I'm very much not attacking the graphics design, LCARS is fantastic and for being designed in 1987 mindblowing)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 30, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe some ships come equipped with early 20th century display technology for certain reasons. I have a couple of late 20th century televisions I use for video games.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Can't have that input lag on the Tactical console

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tactical consoles powered by a MiSTer FPGA

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So Voyager was playing on the TV and I was talking to a super drunk man dressed up as an Andorian. He told me that he loves to go to sleep watching Voyager but me can’t do it anymore because his wife gets mad.

I told him that one of my favorite things in Voyager was when they rehabilitated that murderer and then got him to murder a bunch of folks to save the ship. He then said “you know who that guy played?” And before I got to say he was Chucky, he said “Gollum’s friend in Lord of the Rings.”

10/10 would party again with that dude.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah! I had a similar Brad Dourif thing with my dad recently, he's always coming up. Cool dude. Now I've gotta get to s2 of Voyager to see that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of Brad Dourif showing up everywhere, I recently watched this early 90s gem.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2DkxXbQ1Y

It’s too long, but still some pretty solid action schlock and Dourif is great in it.

And for even more vaguely Trek-related action schlock, here’s Terry Ferrell playing a bizarrely racist LA cop opposite Don “The Dragon” Wilson.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSEAeMEGSg

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

At a Star Trek party tonight.

Mmm, peptides.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

bizarrely racist LA cop

:spock:: This combination of words is highly illogical

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe some ships come equipped with early 20th century display technology for certain reasons. I have a couple of late 20th century televisions I use for video games.

Loved the NX-01 being fully equipped with Dell flatscreen monitors.

(Honestly it looked cool at the time)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPColin posted:

:spock:: This combination of words is highly illogical

I caught that after I posted it, but I meant more that it was a bizarrely racist role to see her as after knowing her form DS9.

She’s also just so over the top with it in the beginning of the movie that it’s a real head-scratcher why they did it. Like she’s dropping 30s and 40s slurs and stereotypes, it’s bonkers that this is how they’re starting her “learning to not be a piece of poo poo” arc.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

a bizarrely racist LA cop
Bizarrely friendly dog.

Bizarrely argumentative internet poster.

Bizarrely loud American.

This is fun.

Bizarrely wet water.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LividLiquid posted:

Bizarrely friendly dog.

Bizarrely argumentative internet poster.

Bizarrely loud American.

This is fun.

Bizarrely wet water.

Bizarrely smooth shark.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Um actually :byodood:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Sharks aren't smooth at all!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HD DAD posted:

Loved the NX-01 being fully equipped with Dell flatscreen monitors.

(Honestly it looked cool at the time)

Well the problem with Enterprise was not its aesthetics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was a lot of rage about the aesthetics in 2001.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It wasn't really until the 2nd decade of the 21st century when SNW solved the in-camera display problem with OLED screens and Picard solved it with the old-fashioned rear-projection solution. Rear projection looks great but requires a lot of real estate on the sound stage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are they using OLEDs? I remember watching the Stargazer bridge stuff and being slightly pulled out of it by how it was possible to see where the okudagrams transitioned into screens on the things like the helm console by the slightly grey background on the screen, which shouldn't be present on OLEDs. They looked more like high-res classic LCDs. Or did they just spring for OLED on SNW but not Picard 2.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 30, 2022

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know what Picard is using for consoles that can't be rear-projected from outside the set.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It was OLED for then non projected stuff apparently -

quote:

The first tests were actually beautiful, other than the bottom portion of the screen—the “ship’s controls” part—where we found that any projection of fine detail through the FlexGlass was not very sharp because it is going through a curved piece of acrylic. While the top section worked well on camera, the bottom section needed to be sharper so that production could film close-ups of the actors’ hands interacting with the controls of the ship. We tried a variety of techniques, yet couldn’t get the images sharp enough. We used MadMapper to pixel shift, adjust and skew the images, but it didn’t fix the issue to our satisfaction. So, we came up with a hybrid solution. For the top part of the screen we used a rear projection technique to project onto the curved FlexGlass and the bottom section was made with four OLED screens and some backlit transparencies on the outside edges. The bottom section was covered with special cut dual AR glass. We then color matched all the images so that it looked like one cohesive display.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

Nemesis is dogshit but the battle is okay. The bit where they know there's a cloaked ship nearby so just start yeeting phasers in every direction to find it was cool.

except that once they managed to tag it with their phasers they should have been able to keep a bead on it

oh wait the cloak doesn't even actually matter because the scimitar can just tank every loving photon torpedo the Enterprise carries

MikeJF posted:

Ugh I just looked up a bit of that battle and it's all close-up shots of screens where you can see the LCD pixels.

This set dressing is even more offensive to me:

just, gently caress it, put some blank-white LCARS-shapes there :effort:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

except that once they managed to tag it with their phasers they should have been able to keep a bead on it

oh wait the cloak doesn't even actually matter because the scimitar can just tank every loving photon torpedo the Enterprise carries

This set dressing is even more offensive to me:

just, gently caress it, put some blank-white LCARS-shapes there :effort:

Could we get a chamois cloth to the Bridge? Chamois cloth, anyone?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
LCARS is so interesting to me, as the idea of having a modular touch screen that reforms to your current needs was so revolutionary in 1987 that it seems on par with how much the 60's communicator informed the design of the early cell phones. It is why dedicated keyboards obviously fell away from phones during the smart phone era, and yet then again Star Trek couldn't just get it... right. The massive wasted UI space in all of the sweeping rounded corner borders and such.

Same with the prop designs of the PADDs, with their relatively tiny screens and giant Game Boy like shells with empty plastic space and physical buttons at the bottom. Or how a lot of the art department seemed to use individual PADDs for individual documents instead of like modern multi-purple single tablet devices, so much so that it was a sight gag to have Picard's desk full of individual PADDs as if it was messy paperwork or something.

Not to mention Picard's bizarre laptop-style console on his ready room desk, complete with a bizarre rounded bulky stand with a single button that P-Stew was obviously directed to touch as if it was a early trackball.

It's amazing how much LCARS, PADDs, and other things got right for 1987 and also how far off the mark they were.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 30, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
LCARS is designed to be noticable on standard def television screens rather than being optimized for actual use as a gui

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

LCARS is interesting in that it's designed to obfuscate what's going on. It's both futuristic and unreadable.

Picard's laptop is great and it came with his action figure. The only thing they missed as far as casually using a laptop is that no one ever picks it up and moves it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I always liked it when a grid would pop up and some colored dots with alphanumeric sequences for labels would dance around, presenting a "good enough" explanation for the phenomenon they're scanning.

Oh, look, now it's a funnel! Our ship's in the funnel? That's not good. Is it? I mean, "x56Jzt" suggests... that it's... *scrolls through command codes PDF*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Or how a lot of the art department seemed to use individual PADDs for individual documents instead of like modern multi-purple single tablet devices, so much so that it was a sight gag to have Picard's desk full of individual PADDs as if it was messy paperwork or something.

This is absolutely how I and a lot of people would use tablets if I could replicate them for free. Keep all the tabs and stuff for each topic on a separate device. Context switching management.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Given my parents keep something over a dozen thrifted kindles with identical pirated libraries around a house that does not have near as many rooms, I can see it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

LCARS is designed to be noticable on standard def television screens rather than being optimized for actual use as a gui

This. Over the years, many people have tried making LCARS-looking interfaces for real-world computers/phones/tablets, and unless it's only meant for a very simple use case (e.g. the menu system of a Star Trek game), they all SUCK. At their very best, they rise to the dizzying height of "almost usable, in a clunky way, but it gets old really fast".

But it looks amazing on television. 35 years later and it still looks cool and futuristic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Plotac 75 posted:

Given my parents keep something over a dozen thrifted kindles with identical pirated libraries around a house that does not have near as many rooms, I can see it.

lmao i do this too, 4 Kindles between the 2 of us

we also have "the Plex remote tablet," "the upstairs Plex remote tablet" and "the Jackbox/D&D Beyond tablet" lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

There was a lot of rage about the aesthetics

Star Trek, 1966-present

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if tablets were cheap as hell I'd definitely go multitablet, it's like multimonitor but more tactile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd also like them to hover in place wherever I desire