Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

There is actually a separate simultaneously written but never released Spy X Family where neither Lloyd nor Yor actually care about Anya. Only through this release of bad energy can the main series exist as it does.

Edit: I have thought this out. In the bad version, Anya doesn't want to help her parents because she knows they will abandon her after succeeding in their objectives. Their relationship gradually deteriorates as they become more frustrated with her behavior. When the truth is revealed and Lloyd/Yor become married for real in the real comic, in the bizarro one a great tragedy happens.

Every week the author writes a bizarro chapter in a frenzied bloodletting of the mind, leaving themselves with a pure and pristine mind when they draw the real series.
And the name of that series?

Spy ÷ Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/spy-x-family-chapter-70/chapter/25757?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014559

:ohdear:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yor is absolutely going to murder these goons when this is all said and done.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Bad Endou! No!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Brought To You By posted:

Yor is absolutely going to murder these goons when this is all said and done.
:agreed:
Or possibly Yuri, but he's the dark horse.
Anyways, direct mortal threats to their daughter/niece? Dead men walking one way or the other, as Yor and Yuri are not nice people. Possibly good (jury is still out for Yuri), but not nice

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Popo posted:

Bad Endou! No!

Endou's Editor: You can have a little darkness as a treat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am torn between wanting the kids to solve this themselves, wanting Loid to find out and have a Love My Family rampage and wanting Yor to find out and erase them from existence.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Omobono posted:

Anyways, direct mortal threats to their daughter/niece? Dead men walking one way or the other, as Yor and Yuri are not nice people. Possibly good (jury is still out for Yuri), but not nice

My thought is that similar to how Yor mentioning Loid's potential political leanings has at least gotten the Gardener's attention. If the Thorn Princess were to be mentioned in a killing related to this kidnapping it would put W.I.S.E onto the Garden and both groups can formally start to narrow down this Mr. and Mrs. Smith pairing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Well we know the police know, which puts Yuri closest to action honestly. And yeah, he's a member of the secret police, but as everyone's pointed out, all the kids are too high-profile to not have it be an all hands on deck scenario for the government.

e: poo poo, WISE knows, which means possibly Nightfall might be in play soon.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Comedy option, Daybreak invites himself to the party.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Endou's Editor: You can have a little darkness as a treat

Because of the precise timing of the chapter's ending I'm leaning towards the bomb collar being a bluff. So Anya will know she's in no greater danger than anyone else, but will try to use this info to make herself look super brave a cool in front of everyone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZiegeDame posted:

Because of the precise timing of the chapter's ending I'm leaning towards the bomb collar being a bluff. So Anya will know she's in no greater danger than anyone else, but will try to use this info to make herself look super brave a cool in front of everyone.

This was my thought too, but I was thinking Anya having to play along with it to hide her secret, but Anya bluffing and make herself look cool in front of her friends/intimidating the bad guys cause they think she's insane is good one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Pretty sure Billy (age 6) can take these guys.

On a more serious note, Loid isn’t coming to rescue the kids, they made it pretty clear he’s out.
My best guess is the kids will solve it themselves allowing Anya to win a Stella Star.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is endou being pretty subdued IMO

Anya is essentially a nobody compared to most of her classmates, so if Endou wanted to go dark the terrorists could've just shot her as an example.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

This is endou being pretty subdued IMO

Anya is essentially a nobody compared to most of her classmates, so if Endou wanted to go dark the terrorists could've just shot her as an example.

To be fair I don't think these people are in it for actually killing children as it would not only make them worse criminals in the eyes of the law, but also undermine their political position and galvanize the people and government against them even further. Killing a kid should be a last resort here and right now all they want is to ensure the bus stays manageable for them.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah this would be a spark of a potential If any of those kids died. If at worst all the kids died that's basically doomsday for the peace of this nation, and from what we've seen that's not something these kidnappers are aiming for. The kidnapper in this chapter know who these kids are by name and who they are children of, so Anya by comparison is the most disposable to them. A single child from a mixed family with no known connections to people of high status and power is the most expendable to them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if the rescue is actually going to introduce someone completely new. Like someone on Becky's family's side.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
probably. it's a situation that none of the current cast can really resolve. yuri's useless, yor can't act in public in front of a bunch of kids, loid is out of play, bond is a dog.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Fangz posted:

I wonder if the rescue is actually going to introduce someone completely new. Like someone on Becky's family's side.

At one point it was revealed that Martha, the butler/Becky's caretaker is "ex-army" so I keep waiting for that to figure in at some point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

probably. it's a situation that none of the current cast can really resolve. yuri's useless, yor can't act in public in front of a bunch of kids, loid is out of play, bond is a dog.

This situation seems like the perfect excuse for Yuri not to be useless, TBH. We've been told that he's a force of nature when he's not distracted by his sister, now we get to see it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

At one point it was revealed that Martha, the butler/Becky's caretaker is "ex-army" so I keep waiting for that to figure in at some point.

Becky does mention she put in a secret Blackbell emergency code into the message so that might be what happens.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Meanwhile, on Endo's Twitter.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Meanwhile, on Endo's Twitter.

Those hijackers don't stand a chance. :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the latest episode of the anime makes me think that loid has to end up in the blackbell battlesuit at some point

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyas On Patrol

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1586940573684207616

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Gotta earm them stellasn
World peace is at steak.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Pink telepaths on parade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I started watching the anime today after seeing so many mentions of it on social media. On episode 10 now and completely addicted. It's so good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should definitely hop over to the anime thread then, this is the manga thread and is much further ahead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, you'll just get a gently caress load of unmarked spoilers if you try reading this thread. The anime thread will be bang up your alley though.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This is not what I think when I hear the phrase Spy X Family Battle Royale.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

muscles like this! posted:

Becky does mention she put in a secret Blackbell emergency code into the message so that might be what happens.

The fact that some random people found the note that says their bus has been hijacked makes it so the news could go public soon. Maybe the media gets locked down, but basically everyone jumping in to John Wick these fools is back on the table.

Yuri is definitely still in the lead to be the one to step in to solve things. However either through the news or Becky's family Yor could find out, and then call Shopkeeper for help. WISE probably is out, since Anya actually knows Nighfall and Franky.

Oh poo poo, if this actually makes the news and Anya's photo is broadcast/printed then the mad science group who made her is probably going to butt their way into the tangled mess of family adjacent organizations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's also the possibility that while Loid is too far away to help that he might hear about it on the news and have I "I want to help" moment that pushes him towards realizing he's not just in this for the mission. Maybe. He's pretty deep into the weeds on that denial.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Oh poo poo, if this actually makes the news and Anya's photo is broadcast/printed then the mad science group who made her is probably going to butt their way into the tangled mess of family adjacent organizations.

I don't think Anya's an escapee or anything though is she? Wasn't she just written off as a failure (kinda like Bond) and dumped in that orphanage? At most the scientists would be like "huh, it's that girl".

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TwoPair posted:

I don't think Anya's an escapee or anything though is she? Wasn't she just written off as a failure (kinda like Bond) and dumped in that orphanage? At most the scientists would be like "huh, it's that girl".

Is the experiment even still going? Or was it shut down like the one that produced Bond? I can't remember if we've ever been told.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anya's backstory is incredibly vague outside of 2 things we know.

1) She got returned to that lovely orphanage multiple times
2) At some point before that she was part of an experiment for 'world peace' that gave her mond control powers and the scientists forced her to study

I don't think we have any details beyond that, presumably so it could be filled in later as the story developed.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Anya's backstory is incredibly vague outside of 2 things we know.

1) She got returned to that lovely orphanage multiple times
2) At some point before that she was part of an experiment for 'world peace' that gave her mond control powers and the scientists forced her to study

I don't think we have any details beyond that, presumably so it could be filled in later as the story developed.

A couple of other things we know:
1) She'd been in two other orphanges besides the one Twilight found her in.
2) Her telepathic powers were an accident, and she escaped.the scientists' facility - so yeah, she is an escapee.

We've been told nothing of what happened to the experiment after her escape.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
She also might have some memory of her biological mother.

But yeah, her backstory's vague enough that it could be worked into a number of angles the author might choose for the final act. Maybe the scientists come collecting, maybe Loid gets a lead towards Anya's surviving relatives and has to decide if she'd be better off with them or with his very normal wife once the mission is done, maybe we run into more freaky kids, who knows?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I know it's been theorized that what project Anya escaped from is/was/has something to do with whatever weird thing papa Desmond is involved with. And it makes sense, that would tie all the strands of the story together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an odd situation. you'd expect from an escapee from a secret experiment that used human test subjects would be hunted. if they were looking they'd have found her easily enough. she was an orphan who went to an orphanage, so not exactly hard to find. something went on that anya isn't aware of that allowed her to slip through the cracks.