Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got two bleed twinblades in ER for which the jumping attack is optimal but I hate using that so I don't, you don't always have to play optimally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ok, but I want to.

I want to do what my weapon/build is good at, I want to be smart and effective in how I fight. and also, I want the game to be designed in such a way that doing this is fun and not one-note.

shouldn't really need to explain that tbh

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

IronicDongz posted:

ok, but I want to.

I want to do what my weapon/build is good at, I want to be smart and effective in how I fight. and also, I want the game to be designed in such a way that doing this is fun and not one-note.

shouldn't really need to explain that tbh

ok, but I don't want to play an NES action game with one attack button.

you're talking about the company that made Armored Core, aka Tactical Spreadsheet Action. they don't want you to play one way the whole time because they aren't great at volume-of-adventure stuff (which is super clear in ER's unbalanced and rushed back half), and the right mindset is enjoying every single room or fight as a little scene on its own. you'll enjoy the non-ER games more if you go in with a 100 hour attitude and take things as slow as possible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have played over 500 hours of ds3 on at least 13 different builds my man. considerably more than I got out of ER, which is why I am speaking negatively about ER's combat design in comparison to ds3 here

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

I have played over 500 hours of ds3 on at least 13 different builds my man. considerably more than I got out of ER, which is why I am speaking negatively about ER's combat design in comparison to ds3 here

my bad, I was half asleep and thought you were Simply Simon. agreed. you'd never be able to solo ER with my favorite DS3 builds of bloody crown talons / The Wall giant doors / flowing exile greatsword dervish

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man, I'm getting 50 frames on the steam deck. This is so cool!!!

It still chugs randomly but I think that's just dark souls 3 on PC maybe. Either way, it's totally playable and pretty dang smooth

I get like 2 hours of battery life max but you guys. This is dark souls 3 on a game boy. Apparently it can even do Elden Ring at 30 frames??

Jesus loving christ I can't wait for more and more companies to start making their own PC portables. This proton stuff seems to be made of dreams, everything my switch ever wished to be

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

It still chugs randomly but I think that's just dark souls 3 on PC maybe.

I had a smooth experience on PC. And Valve/proton should be handling shaders so you don't have to compile them on the fly. Playing with settings a little more might be worth your while

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
What level should I before going into Ashes of Ariandel?

I can not make it to the first bonfire before getting wrecked. Everything in there seems likes its either damage sponge with unlimited poise or a combination of Sif and zerg rush.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc there’s a message near the start that basically says “you should really at least be at Ithryll”, so being there/past there would probably be a better indication since levels tend to not be a super huge power indication in and of themselves compared to weapon levels.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I just finished it at SL80 or so, but that's on a replay. The vikings and wolves should get staggered easily and maybe die in two hits? So at least a +8 weapon would be good, I'm guessing.
FWIW, the first time I played the game, I just did both DLCs after the main game.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
ER and DS3 are two of my all-time favorites, but I like DS3 a little better. It has a tighter narrative and you don't fight the same 6 bosses 87 times each in essentially identical mini-dungeons. I also dig the "impossibly gorgeous world fallen to utter ruin" aesthetic.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Millwood knights are assholes no matter how beefy you are

So are Harald knights but at least you can just chain headshots on them with a longbow

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

side_burned posted:

What level should I before going into Ashes of Ariandel?

I can not make it to the first bonfire before getting wrecked. Everything in there seems likes its either damage sponge with unlimited poise or a combination of Sif and zerg rush.

If you're going in there as soon as it's accessible yeah its gonna be super rough. It's an endgame level area

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Regy Rusty posted:

If you're going in there as soon as it's accessible yeah its gonna be super rough. It's an endgame level area

I am assuming Fromsoft put Gail in an early area as a troll on new players.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

side_burned posted:

I am assuming Fromsoft put Gail in an early area as a troll on new players.

I think it's also so that experienced players can run in and grab items and weapons they wanna use for repeat playthroughs early. If you know exactly what you want and where it is you can just run past enemies that are too strong to get it.

But yeah there may be some element of gotcha to it

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Speaking of trolling players and the Millwood Knights, some of the encounters have always seemed designed with the idea that players will just run past it anyway. Like in Archdragon Peak, when you go around the side of the Belfry bonfire on your way to the dragon chaser's ashes and it just aggros all these guys at once.
Was anyone ever supposed to do a straight up fight there?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You can play this part stealthily, aggroing only one or two dudes at a time, you can also lure them into the dragon's fire (which usually gets you burned as well), however it doesn't work well and the axe chain guys are total assholes so after 10 minutes of careful separation you might just lose to the last one of those, it's not a good idea. I think running there is definitely the smartest and possibly intended move.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've got Gamer brain so I do always take that fight and it's rough but far from impossible, I let the dragon help out a bit though

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Simply Simon posted:

I think running there is definitely the smartest and possibly intended move.
No chance of just running if you're doing Hawkwood's questline though, you gotta fight. It's doable if you're careful. Small Fireguy on the right first, then take on Bigboy. Once he's out move up a bit so you trigger the 2 Bigboys in the back, take out Smallboy with Shield in the meantime, pull back so you can fight Bigboys without the small Stonedragons interfering. Aggroing them all at once is suicide.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh whoops I confused that scene with the run up to the end of the wyvern fight. Yeah I did kill everybody in that latter part twice, you gotta be careful as hell with drawing and kiting but it works if you're willing to be a patient coward

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

giZm posted:

No chance of just running if you're doing Hawkwood's questline though, you gotta fight. It's doable if you're careful. Small Fireguy on the right first, then take on Bigboy. Once he's out move up a bit so you trigger the 2 Bigboys in the back, take out Smallboy with Shield in the meantime, pull back so you can fight Bigboys without the small Stonedragons interfering. Aggroing them all at once is suicide.

Or just run to the end of the path and quit out :ssh:

E: Completely unrelated question, is the online just dead now even with the patch restoring it? I couldn't find any hosts for NK or Friede co-op. Is everyone too busy still playing ER?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 31, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Or just run to the end of the path and quit out :ssh:
But then you'd have to go back to resummon Hawkwood :derp:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

giZm posted:

But then you'd have to go back to resummon Hawkwood :derp:

I thought his quest just requires you to get the dragon stone by sitting near the altar? Does he need to go up there as well to enable the duel?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

You just need to have all the dragon stones in your inventory and then go to the Abyss Watchers arena to end Hawkwood's quest.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Well, today I learned you don't actually need to drag his sorry rear end all the way up there for progress. Couldn't even quest right. Gives me conniptions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

giZm posted:

Well, today I learned you don't actually need to drag his crestfallen rear end all the way up there for progress. Couldn't even quest right. Gives me conniptions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Old thread and and old game but I picked up the trilogy cheap about 6 months ago and it's all I've been playing.

I got DS1 and DS3 down and just started DS2.

I liked 3 better than 1 but The Ringed City and their Shitrain Angels that rain poo poo on you can get properly hosed. Their bullshit is cheap even for the expected general fuckery of this series. also, I don't mind the game being hard but my biggest gripe is how easy it is to break quests and remove characters that sell you spells and certain items that are almost necessary for certain builds.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

You should give Demons Souls a shot. I think I know exactly what part of Ringed City is giving you grief, and my impression was that it was calling back to DeS, which had way harder levels than the Dark Souls games (and much easier bosses). In DeS the levels kind of are the bosses.

IIRC DS3 went out of its way to not lock you out of builds based on characters dying. Don't vendors always drop ashes that you can take to the old maiden at Firelink Shrine to buy their stuff?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The sorcery trainer in DS3 will gently caress off forever if you don’t give him a scroll before you reach a certain point. No second chances on that, he doesn’t leave a corpse.

DeS does have some sections where you have to use cover or just cope with aerial bombardment, but nothing as obnoxious as the Dreg Heap angels that I can recall.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

acksplode posted:

Don't vendors always drop ashes that you can take to the old maiden at Firelink Shrine to buy their stuff?

Mostly. If you kill someone before handing them a scroll or grimoire or whatever you can't exactly get new spells. Also sending Greirat out on expeditions upgrades his stock so making sure he survives Irithyll is important.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

acksplode posted:

IIRC DS3 went out of its way to not lock you out of builds based on characters dying. Don't vendors always drop ashes that you can take to the old maiden at Firelink Shrine to buy their stuff?

There's some permanently missable stuff if you don't do Sirris and Rosaria's quests in exactly the right order, including the Cat Ring, but that's technically based on NPCs just disappearing rather than dying outright.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I'm in the "traded Loretta's bone to Pumparum" club

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm in the "traded Loretta's bone to Pumparum" club

What do they even give you for that

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

What do they even give you for that

Ring of Sacrifice and an eternally hopeful friend :unsmith:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

ER and DS3 are two of my all-time favorites, but I like DS3 a little better. It has a tighter narrative and you don't fight the same 6 bosses 87 times each in essentially identical mini-dungeons. I also dig the "impossibly gorgeous world fallen to utter ruin" aesthetic.

I think its all going to depend on what you get out of these games. I love Elden Ring, but its seriously lacking in atmosphere compared to DS1 or 3 by virtue of it necessarily feeling like a less authored experience.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

I think its all going to depend on what you get out of these games. I love Elden Ring, but its seriously lacking in atmosphere compared to DS1 or 3 by virtue of it necessarily feeling like a less authored experience.

there is just too much to do. it's too huge

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Old thread and and old game but I picked up the trilogy cheap about 6 months ago and it's all I've been playing.

I got DS1 and DS3 down and just started DS2.

I liked 3 better than 1 but The Ringed City and their Shitrain Angels that rain poo poo on you can get properly hosed. Their bullshit is cheap even for the expected general fuckery of this series. also, I don't mind the game being hard but my biggest gripe is how easy it is to break quests and remove characters that sell you spells and certain items that are almost necessary for certain builds.

Apparently I meant the Dreg Heap, not the Ringed City.

Ringed City is tough but not altogether unfair and cheap like the magic sky angel snipers were in Dreg

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 6, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The sky angels aren't so bad once you memorize where the summoner things are.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The sky angels aren't so bad once you decide to just skip from Earthen peak right to the Demon Princes
I resolved to play Ringed City super casually and explore everything again like on my first playthrough instead of just running past. Then I saw the 3 giant fatties on the stairs all aggroing in sync and I said gently caress it and gunned it from bonfire to bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

The sky angels aren't so bad once you memorize where the summoner things are.

GrossMurpel posted:

The sky angels aren't so bad once you decide to just skip from Earthen peak right to the Demon Princes
I resolved to play Ringed City super casually and explore everything again like on my first playthrough instead of just running past. Then I saw the 3 giant fatties on the stairs all aggroing in sync and I said gently caress it and gunned it from bonfire to bonfire

Pretty sure both of you guys managed to identify my specific problem