Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

forest spirit posted:

I think they're talking about models that are ripped from games. Or well ripped models in general, I don't think anyone has an issue with your own zbrush of Link

lol Nintendo will for sure. They're one of the more litigious IP holders out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

But if you made the model yourself, they can't really do anything about that?

Unless you start selling it to people, then yeah, they will heat-seek you. But if you make a Charizard for yourself then I think you're legally fine.

If you started selling ripped models or selling your copyrighted character models then yeah, I think that's illegal, chief.

But commissions for copyright should be fine afaik?

We're like two years out from being able to have unique 3d models made for us by an AI anyway, so modelers won't really have to worry about litigious copyright holders.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Most of the paid world/models I've seen have all been original creations. People tend to be smart about not charging for ripped assets.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Unless you start selling it to people, then yeah, they will heat-seek you. But if you make a Charizard for yourself then I think you're legally fine.

If you started selling ripped models or selling your copyrighted character models then yeah, I think that's illegal, chief.

We're like two years out from being able to have unique 3d models made for us by an AI anyway, so modelers won't really have to worry about litigious copyright holders.

A) No, copyright doesn’t say “a commissioned copy is fine.”

B) Even if it did, the copyright holder has more money and lawyers than you and both can and will use that to force you/the platform to take down your content.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

forest spirit posted:

I'm specifically talking about using in-app systems to charge (in whatever way) for ripped or fan art assets, yeah.

In any case, that's all VRChat's problems to solve. They have as much copyright debt as they have technical debt and I'd love to see them remain the wild west, so godspeed to them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kazy posted:

Most of the paid world/models I've seen have all been original creations. People tend to be smart about not charging for ripped assets.

Nobody reputable is selling stolen/ripped poo poo. Those people exist but they tend to rip off some newb once and the newb goes to a professional/legit person next time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Had about 30 minutes with this Quest Pro and it's already pissing me off.

- Can't use it without converting your Oculus account to Meta, which claims all your info can be private, then says "actually anyone can search up your name/username, gently caress you" and there's no option to change them that I see

- The IPD adjustment has no resistance/friction at all, so I have to bring it down to the minimum IPD and then the bridge of my nose pushes the lenses all the way back out to 64-ish if I hold still, and if I nod my head to the side will split them out to the max. No other headset has done this before

- The charge dock requires a perfectly flat surface for everything, which being a couch gamer with a cluttered house means I just have to have it on the floor. That's more of a me-problem but I don't see why they all couldn't have had USB-C charge ports. Even then on a flat surface, I saw the charge indicator come on for the headset, but after leaving it overnight it is only at 15% from empty so I guess the pogo connectors aren't solid.

- Light blockers don't block anything on the underside... obnoxious during the day

+ Controllers track really well so that's nice

+ The passthrough resolution, while not stupendous, is actually enough that I can touch-type on my laptop keyboard if I turn the keyboard backlight all the way up. Anything less than max and the keys will blink on camera from the LED modulation. Passthrough camera also good enough to eat jerky while I'm using it

+ Built-in audio is quite good, much better than Quest 1

Anyway, it's been a while since I checked up on the remote desktop offerings. Have Bigscreen or ALVR or anyone else been able to approach the Virtual Desktop realm of usability? I bought VD for Steam long time back and I don't like having to buy it a second time for Quest if I can avoid it, especially since the dev is kinda a dick.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Zero VGS posted:

- Can't use it without converting your Oculus account to Meta, which claims all your info can be private, then says "actually anyone can search up your name/username, gently caress you" and there's no option to change them that I see

Dang, seriously? Lame.

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, it's been a while since I checked up on the remote desktop offerings. Have Bigscreen or ALVR or anyone else been able to approach the Virtual Desktop realm of usability? I bought VD for Steam long time back and I don't like having to buy it a second time for Quest if I can avoid it, especially since the dev is kinda a dick.

I've been loving around with Immersed and while they do some nice stuff they are also frustrating in some other ways. They're really made to be either used with a laptop, or used while sitting at the desktop machine you're connected to. They're not made with remote access in mind; not yet anyway.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

+ The passthrough resolution, while not stupendous, is actually enough that I can touch-type on my laptop keyboard if I turn the keyboard backlight all the way up. Anything less than max and the keys will blink on camera from the LED modulation. Passthrough camera also good enough to eat jerky while I'm using it

That's not how touch typing works, it's in the name.

e: I tried not to post this but my brain is broken, I will seek help. Maybe.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, seriously? Lame.

I've been loving around with Immersed and while they do some nice stuff they are also frustrating in some other ways. They're really made to be either used with a laptop, or used while sitting at the desktop machine you're connected to. They're not made with remote access in mind; not yet anyway.

I nabbed Immersed but the latency is at unplayable levels for just a 2D game from my desktop. Note that Moonlight can stream from said desktop to any device with only like 2ms latency, so it's not my setup that's the problem.

RandomBlue posted:

That's not how touch typing works, it's in the name.

e: I tried not to post this but my brain is broken, I will seek help. Maybe.

I need to see the keys to touch the right ones, duh.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So creators shouldn't have a legitimate means to profit from their work because people might steal it? :confused:

Of course they should. I’m just saying I hope VRC themselves are ready for the shitstorm of takedowns and legal action once money starts getting involved.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zero VGS posted:

I nabbed Immersed but the latency is at unplayable levels for just a 2D game from my desktop. Note that Moonlight can stream from said desktop to any device with only like 2ms latency, so it's not my setup that's the problem.

For 2D gaming specifically, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if a sideloaded Moonlight apk was less jank than literally every option except Virtual Desktop. You’re kinda stuck buying it if you want to play flatscreen stuff. I think it’s on sale right now, coincidentally enough.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2022

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I need to see the keys to touch the right ones, duh.
With touch typing you don't.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_typing

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I don't pay attention to it, but I wonder how many places still even teach touch typing.

I imagine some folks just ASSUME that everyone can do it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This thread is now about typing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RandomBlue posted:

This thread is now about typing.

Mavis Beacon's VR Megathread

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MaVRs Beacon

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

wikipedia posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is often thought to be a living or historical figure by the public. Developed to be a mascot for the Oculus Rift hardware platform, Zuckerberg was developed within the Horizon Worlds avatar creator. Many consumers have reported confabulations (i.e. false memories) of Mark Zuckerberg appearing in senate hearings.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

You still need to find the home row in the dark, and to see things like symbols, arrows, keypad.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

pisshead posted:

You still need to find the home row in the dark, and to see things like symbols, arrows, keypad.

The F and J keys have bumps on them so you can find the home row.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oh gently caress. I'm an old.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

https://www.c-span.org/video/?443543-1/facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-testifies-data-protection

must have imagined this

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Hadlock posted:

Oh ok thanks. that's what I get for phone posting

This is what I was thinking of, I guess it's like the intro video or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmPywZMDIw

Is it weird that the thing that bothers me most about this is the terrible camerawork? They do know that you can have an external, static stream camera right? Most of these shots are using the default first person camera with the UI still visible.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

Since 2002.

So like, 20 years...

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Watching the bad anime VR sketches put this channel into my youtube recommendations. I honestly can't tell if it's not bad, or if the bar is so low that seeing twin Dr. Kleiners is enough to entertain me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0xC98rhG8

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Nalin posted:

So that's why they have bumps. Fascinating. Never made sense to me before, since my self-taught touch-typing position is quite different (being built off keyboard placement that facilitates WASD+mouse as natural hand positions).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Corbeau posted:

So that's why they have bumps. Fascinating. Never made sense to me before, since my self-taught touch-typing position is quite different (being built off keyboard placement that facilitates WASD+mouse as natural hand positions).

How the hell do folks not know this?!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

EbolaIvory posted:

Like most things in life, blame standardized testing.

I learned a out the bumps after spending like 10 years yelling at people online in game lobbys so now I find the home row to center then do my hosed up thing where my right hand or left hand can hit the keys in the middle and who knows which one is responsible for which.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

to be fair, this was taught in 6th grade typing class, i don't think they test on something like that though since it's foundational to the rest of the class

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gVzIPptQww
I visited this clusterfuck in horizon last night and got kicked out for spamming the "boo" sound in the "producer's booth". It was a fever dream of looping family feud theme and kids trying to figure out how to play while someone shouts racial slurs.

One of the big issues is that with the default "safety" settings people can't get close enough to be at the podiums.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 31, 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the best part is when the world creator would randomly pop in to berate everyone for not playing the game correctly lol

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Bondematt posted:

I learned a out the bumps after spending like 10 years yelling at people online in game lobbys so now I find the home row to center then do my hosed up thing where my right hand or left hand can hit the keys in the middle and who knows which one is responsible for which.

Yup, though my centering is much more nebulous. I tested what my hands do while typing and found that while my right hand hits the "h" key, it's my left hand that extends out to hit the "y" key. Right hand is meant to be on the mouse by default so when I have to type I end up reaching across at an angle. Right hand winds up resting roughly along the angled m-k-l axis.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2022

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Professor Wayne posted:

Watching the bad anime VR sketches put this channel into my youtube recommendations. I honestly can't tell if it's not bad, or if the bar is so low that seeing twin Dr. Kleiners is enough to entertain me

This will sound insane, but I really do need to do some more VRChat time at some point. Being an old nerd who hates going out for all sorts reasons, being able to see the sights in VR has been extremely relaxing.

I need to finish my computer rebuild, first. My poor i7-6700 has been in service for so long that I can feel it when the computer gets pushed too hard.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hadlock posted:

to be fair, this was taught in 6th grade typing class, i don't think they test on something like that though since it's foundational to the rest of the class

I'm actually shocked people on THIS FORUM wouldn't know that.

Random lady? Yeah sure, whatever. But goon nerds in a VR thread?

Blows me away.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

Since 2002.

So like, 20 years...
The Model M that came with my '93 IBM PS/1 had the bumps and that was late in the life for that keyboard model.

Apple also had them, though on D and K instead, as far back as the Apple IIe in 1983. Apparently D and K either being bumped or dished was common on typewriters at the time in some regions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Pretty incredible that meta announced the quest pro like two weeks ago and the VR community was so nonplussed that the biggest topic of conversation is, "who has the best VR chat comedy sketches?"

No surprise that meta's earnings were below expectations + stock price literally fell off a cliff

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

wolrah posted:

The Model M that came with my '93 IBM PS/1 had the bumps and that was late in the life for that keyboard model.

Apple also had them, though on D and K instead, as far back as the Apple IIe in 1983. Apparently D and K either being bumped or dished was common on typewriters at the time in some regions.

This is also why phone keypads had a bump or some form of tactile distinction on the 5 key.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

:thejoke:

Anyway, I got Sidequest going on the Quest Pro, and ALVR works out of the gate as a free game streaming option. Both it and AirLink seem to have some tracking latency, like they both do the timewarp thing to make turning your head look smooth, but the controller and head 6DOF positioning update very choppily. I'll dig into it more. ALVR latency is good enough for something relaxed like Moss.

Also surprising to me is that the Quest Pro has some very obvious ghosting, like if you turn your head where there's a black background with white test you can see the image persist. I wasn't expecting that on some super-modern LCD panel. Is it not IPS? I feel like they should have gone back to OLED. OLED has the reverse of that ghosting (completely black pixels lag to turn back on) which makes them smear in dark scenes, but in all other cases OLED just looks way better, especially if they can score RGB-stripe like Sony.

Has any app for Quest Pro actually implemented eye-tracked foveated rendering yet? I don't get why they didn't at least go for a higher res display to leverage that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Hummys is a bit like SNL in that mostly its sort of meh, with some chuckles, but every once in a while they knock it out of the park.

I think that might just be sketch comedy in general though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Nalin posted:

Yeah but it's annoying fumbling around in the dark every time you take your hands off the keyboard.