Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Magnetic North posted:

So I only know the broad strokes of WWI, and I know it was a stupid clusterfuck of alliances and new horrible weapons. But I'd still be curious to see the thread try to argue with sincerity what the best possible thing to come out of WWI was.

The relative position of women in European societies improved first as men were off to front and there was a shortage of workers, allowing women to gain own income, and then because millions of men were permanently removed or crippled. After the war several countries gave women voting rights. Not to say that improvements were always permanent, but it seems to have sped things up. Well, it still took WW2 for French women to gain egalite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just seen an advert for an honest to god Korean War film called Devotion, anyone heard anything about it?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Bunch of nations got their independence as Russian empire collapsed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Infant mortality declined drastically in India and the former Russian Empire due to political changes stemming from World War I. The clean water reforms implemented by the Indian National Congress saved millions of lives per year.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

e: I mean, the literal historical conclusion that everyone came to in 1945 when we did have to repeat the question of 'what do we do with Germany?' was tha Vetrsailles was far too lenient and the Allies committed to several decades of occupation.

You can't really compare 1918 and 1945, though. 1918 ended with a revolution, in 1945 fascist Germany thought to the bitter end.

A less lenient peace in 1918 would have probably crushed the revolution and ended with something really stupid, like the Brits imposing a new, constitutional monarchy on top of Germany. The sad result would have been an even faster failure of the imposes German state and maybe even balkanization of middle europe, ending in even worse wars and conflicts down the road.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Libluini posted:

You can't really compare 1918 and 1945, though. 1918 ended with a revolution, in 1945 fascist Germany thought to the bitter end.

A less lenient peace in 1918 would have probably crushed the revolution and ended with something really stupid, like the Brits imposing a new, constitutional monarchy on top of Germany. The sad result would have been an even faster failure of the imposes German state and maybe even balkanization of middle europe, ending in even worse wars and conflicts down the road.

Why would that be worse? 1870 didn't result in france invading all their neighbours.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

e: I mean, the literal historical conclusion that everyone came to in 1945 when we did have to repeat the question of 'what do we do with Germany?' was tha Vetrsailles was far too lenient and the Allies committed to several decades of occupation.

Missed your edit.

No, that's not the conclusion that people came to, or at least way too simple of an explanation. That was Morgenthau's argument, and it was vigorously opposed by a bunch of people in both the UK and US. Anthony Eden comes to mind, but there were a ton in Roosevelt's admin who thought it would be a disaster. It kind of got some legs when Truman signed JCS1067, but that wasn't dismemberment so much as it was forbidding the military from aiding the Germans in any way (no rebuilding the economy etc).

The plan was already falling out of favor really heavily by late 1946, and by that point really all that had been accomplished was dismantling some of the arms industry. JCS1067 was rescinded by Truman in the summer of 1947, and soon after it was also brought under the umbrella of the Marshal Plan, which was kind of the exact opposite of the Morgenthau plan.

In the end the cold war took over and everyone involved realized that their respective half of Germany would be better as an ally against the other side than as a pastoral dependency. By the early 50s even the Soviets were helping their half rebuild industry.

The allies also never committed to several decades of occupation, they kind of fell backwards into it. The initial plan was to occupy Germany for as long as it took the victorious allies to agree on a post-war government, but differences between the Soviets and the Western Allies meant that never happened. Stalin proposed a unified Germany as a neutral party between them but there's a LOT of debate about 1) how serious he was about this and 2) how "neutral" he would have allowed it to be. What kind of government, exactly, it would have and how free the elections would be are also up in the air. Are we talking Austria ca: 1955 or Hungary ca. 1955? This is one of those things where no one agreed and then events just kind of got a life of their own. Eventually the western allies started unifying their zones, which eventually became a de-factor W. Germany and eventually an actual W. Germany, with E. Germany right behind it.

In the Western occupation zones in particular (well, American and British - the French kind of did some weird poo poo for a while, but their zone was tiny) the UK and US were eager to push local authority over to German civilians as soon as possible. They still had to work under the observation of the occupation authorities, but had a LOT of room for free action. We're talking actual, functional elections in some areas within a year of Hitler eating a bullet. I don't have my old notes at hand right now, but Hesse in particular was really loving early. You had Germans setting major policy in the occupied areas. There was input and veto power on the part of OMGUS but in practice it was their show.

The actual military occupation ends in 1952 (at least in the West, can't remember off the top of my head what that is for the DDR). After that it's basing agreements. They were signed on shall we say extremely generous terms but there's a fundamental difference between a military occupation and having foreign troops based in your country. All of this very much in a cold war context.

Meanwhile you also have a military occupation after WW1, although fairly truncated. American soldiers were part of the occupying force in the Rhur through . . . I want to say 1920?

But yeah, there was no multi-decade occupation post-ww2. A major point of emphasis was to make the military occupation as short as possible and get the Germans to set up a new government, ASAP.

All the real difficulties arose because of disagreements about what, exactly, that government should look like. That's really what dragged the occupation out to the seven year mark.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xakura posted:

Why would that be worse? 1870 didn't result in france invading all their neighbours.

Germany didn't invade all of its neighbors because of the Spartacists, or the Social Democrats.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

Germany didn't invade all of its neighbors because of the Spartacists, or the Social Democrats.

I have no idea what you're even trying to argue

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Missed your edit.

No, that's not the conclusion that people came to, or at least way too simple of an explanation.

Yeah I'm being extremely simplistic and you are right. Even though the reasons shifted I view the inability of the major powers to reconcile on a vision of an independent unified Germany until 1990 as being a natural extension of the occupation policy and not really separable from the question of Germany's place in Europe.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xakura posted:

Germany isn't the only one who can start a war in Europe.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Fangz posted:

This argument seems silly. "Harsher measures wouldn't work because germany could balkanize and someone else could start a war (worse than WW2!)"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Xakura posted:

This argument seems silly. "Harsher measures wouldn't work because germany could balkanize and someone else could start a war (worse than WW2!)"

I don't see why it's silly at all. Maintaining the balance of power in Europe isn't an absurd idea. As you said, France being hosed up in 1870, sure, didn't lead to France invading its neighbours. It did however lead to the system of political alliances and Germany invading its neighbours.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Magnetic North posted:

So I only know the broad strokes of WWI, and I know it was a stupid clusterfuck of alliances and new horrible weapons. But I'd still be curious to see the thread try to argue with sincerity what the best possible thing to come out of WWI was.

The Baltic states were able to throw off the yoke of German rule they had been under since the 15th century or so.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

What is a storm of steel-esque movie?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

I think it's an autobiography by a German stormtrooper officer. A polar opposite to the aforementioned "all quiet on the western front" from what I understand.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ilmucche posted:

an 80s action movie without comedy

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ilmucche posted:

"The moral of the story should be that war is super cool and makes you a better person"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oh is it the book that I think a goon described as an as officer going " yeah we were the best and the Americans ran away every time pretty much as soon as we made contact. On an unrelated note we were always obliterated by artillery like 10 minutes later."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Storm of Steel is Ernst Junger’s memoir of his WW1 experiences. I am reading it now. It’s interesting. He rather enjoys the war, is my summary. The account is detailed and personal and emotional but somewhat factual, if that makes sense. This is what happened, this is how I felt or acted. But it’s a book about war, and what happens in War, not about him developing as a person - he spares 2 lines on his officer candidate school, noting that his dad told him on leave it would be a good idea and so he did it.

You can definitely read it as glorifying war; I’m not sure I do. It captures the highs and lows of his experience. You can take from it what you want. It certainly doesn’t have a specific direct anti-war message but I don’t think that means that it is a book that glorifies war.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Oh is it the book that I think a goon described as an as officer going " yeah we were the best and the Americans ran away every time pretty much as soon as we made contact. On an unrelated note we were always obliterated by artillery like 10 minutes later."

That sounds more like WW2 than WW1.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grimnarsson posted:

[A consequence of WW1 was that] The Baltic states were able to throw off the yoke of German rule they had been under since the 15th century or so.

Come again?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xakura posted:

1870 also didn't end in decades long German occupation, so I don't know what your post is even talking about

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Grimnarsson posted:

That sounds more like WW2 than WW1.

Yeah it was definitely an ss dude, I didn't know if storm of steel was wwi or wwii

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

There were famously no wars in Europe when Germany was like 100 different countries.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MikeCrotch posted:

Just seen an advert for an honest to god Korean War film called Devotion, anyone heard anything about it?

It's based on a true story about Tom Hiudner and his wingman Jesse Brown, two naval pilots in the Korean War who went on to become friends in the newly desegregated military (Hudner was white and Brown was black), and their fighting during the Battle of the Chosin River, which cost Brown his life and got Hudner a Medal of Honor for his attempt to save him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ensign Expendable posted:

There were famously no wars in Europe when Germany was like 100 different countries.
German-on-German wars cancel each other out, surely

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Grimnarsson posted:

The Baltic states were able to throw off the yoke of German rule they had been under since the 15th century or so.

What are you talking about? They were part of Imperial Russia, like (most of) Poland was, not Imperial Germany.

There was a large Baltic-German minority though, and Germany got involved in the Baltics in late 1918, early 1919 with ambitions of carving some/all of them for itself to make up for any possible territorial concessions in the west, but Britain put a stop to it in summer 1919.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

baltic germans owned most of the land in baltic countries, even though they were only a small minority

this was fixed with highly successful land reforms, where the german manor land was divided to smallholders, and the overall productivity increased

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ilmucche posted:

You're thinking of 'Soldaten' - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldaten-Fighting-Killing-Secret-Second-ebook/dp/B007IL51RG/ref=sr_1_1 - I think, where Britain secretly recorded the conversations of German PoWs. Their comparative ranking of the people they fought with/against was something like 'Italians incompetent, French cowards, Russians basically orcs, British good fighters just like us what do you expect they're Nordic, Americans not great fighters personally but instead rely on all their tech/industry/gear'.

Sort of what you'd expect filtered through the lense of a Nazi-oriented racial upbringing I guess.

America wasn't obliterating anyone with artillery in WW1, or definitely no more so than anyone else, given the war was mobile by the time the US had troops over there and it was mostly getting its heavy equipment from France having none of its own.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ChubbyChecker posted:

baltic germans owned most of the land in baltic countries, even though they were only a small minority

this was fixed with highly successful land reforms, where the german manor land was divided to smallholders, and the overall productivity increased

The most notable case of this was Prussia, which before it was adopted as an (initially mostly theoretical) title held by a bunch of German aristocrats referred to a Baltic language and culture and ethnicity. But after the Baltic colonization by the Teutonic Order during the Baltic Crusades in the 1200s, those aspects of indigenous Prussia were all gradually encroached upon and eventually wiped out. The massive social upheaval and widespread death caused by the Great Northern War in the early 1700s, combined with the deadliest outbreak of plague on record that erased whole towns and killed two-thirds to three-quarters of many regions' population, was the final nail in the coffin of Prussian as a living language and people.

That's why it always seemed like such a non-Germanic term for a people who represented themselves as the most German of the Germans; they lifted it wholesale from the Balto-Slavic natives. Also why Germany ended up with control of Königsberg, a major center of German culture with millions of inhabitants, up until the end of WWII. And indirectly that's why Russia owns Kalingrad to this day; millions fled as the Red Army advanced, and Russia worked the half million or so who didn't make it out in forced labor for years until eventually deporting the last survivors.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

Air travel, perhaps? Probably various chemical things too, the Haber-Bosch process for the synthesis of ammonia was invented before it (just) but the war really kickstarted it thanks to the blockade of Germany and that is, basically, the foundation of modern industrial agriculture (it's used to make fertilisers. Also explosives, mind, which is the WW1 link. Without this there's the whole thing Malthus was worrying about in the 19th century where there are so many people in the world that agriculture can't support us all any more and we starve to death).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

That's why it always seemed like such a non-Germanic term for a people who represented themselves as the most German of the Germans; they lifted it wholesale from the Balto-Slavic natives.

This is the result of HRE politics. The short version is that the Hohenzollerns were originally the HRE electors from Brandenburg (it was a Margravate I think?) and, soon after the secularization of Teutonic Prussia, became the Dukes of Brandenburg via marriage. This was one of those sloppy early modern things where they held two titles. The issue is that the Duchy of Prussia was a vassal of the King of Poland, while Brandenburg was part of the HRE.

Fast forward to 1700 and Brandenburg-Prussia had just helped square off against France in yet another round of Louix XIV vs. Everybody and one of the rewards everyone agreed on was letting the Hohenzollerns elevate themselves to Kings. Legally speaking there could be no kings in the HRE since everyone was (very nominally by this point) subject to the Emperor. So Frederick I crowned himself "King in Prussia" to skirt around that.

Note the "in" there. Things are a bit funky still because of the whole Polish vassalage thing. I think the King of Poland might have actually also held the title of King of Prussia as well. Either way, the Hohenzollerns changed their styling to Kings of Prussia only after the 1772 Partition of Poland.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note the "in" there. Things are a bit funky still because of the whole Polish vassalage thing. I think the King of Poland might have actually also held the title of King of Prussia as well.

He did. Things were complicated because there had been Roysl Prussia, ruled directly by the Kingdom of Poland, and Ducal Prussia, ruled by the Duke of Prussia, ruled by the House of Hohenzollern.

Also, the first duke of Prussia was also a Hohenzollern, just from a different branch....Albert, the last Teutonic grand master, was from the cadet branch of Brandenburg-Ansbach.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 31, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ilmucche posted:

No, that was Black Edelweiss by Voss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who was the British officer who said he always felt the war was a fine time? I thought it was Jack Churchill but apparently not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zoux posted:

Who was the British officer who said he always felt the war was a fine time? I thought it was Jack Churchill but apparently not.

Might have been Winston Churchill. Churchill, especially young Churchill, has a bunch of quotes to the effect that he found war to be a hell of a fun time.

Here's the one you see most often:

quote:

There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at with no result.

Frankly, this is something that I think gets glossed over a bit in a lot of modern day mil hist, which tends to focus (arguably rightly so) on the human cost and tragedy. I don't know what their prevalence is, if they're a tiny minority or what, but there are absolutely people who find the excitement, purpose, immediacy, etc. of war to be just flat out a loving good time. I'm not even talking about psychopaths who are getting off on killing people or adrenaline junkies. You see shades of this in Storm of Steel as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not a fan of war but I get what Winston is saying there. I imagine being shot at but not getting hurt is quite an experience.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
IIRC Harry Truman had a pretty great time in WW1. It was basically the first thing in his life he wasn't poo poo at. He was an artillery captain and they didn't do a ton of fighting, mind you. I think he also had his men followed around while they were on leave to keep tabs on how they were spending their money and make sure it was on good Christian things. Mccullough's biography makes him out to be a huuuuuuuuuge rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm not a fan of war but I get what Winston is saying there. I imagine being shot at but not getting hurt is quite an experience.

I think a lot of people would consider it fun if you could give them some kind of situation where they could 100% get shot at but it was guaranteed they'd never be hurt or injured in any way.

So anyone with enough weird narcissistic optimism to believe that obviously they couldn't get shot is already most of the way there. Not that this explains the entire phenomenon, but I'd hypothesize that's at least a factor for some people.