Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It might be mod-related (more trait slots mod maybe?) but also I've only dealt with kids on the new colony character rolling screen so maybe it only happens there :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh yeah, if you generate them they might show up with traits, I was thinking more of babies born in the colony

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's weird that kids pop out with their traits already developed. They should at least be exempt from a lot of the negative traits early on. Like okay yeah I can accept that the occasional kid pops out a psychopath, but babies showing up with Nudist or Chemical Fascination or Bloodthirsty is weird.

It would be cool if e.g. all kids started out as Teetotalers but witnessing other colonists drinking a lot, or a major breakdown at some point could cause them to lose that trait or even gain Chemical Interest (or just reaching a certain age in a High Life colony). I'm sure a mod will pop up that does that though.

Broken Cog posted:

Oh yeah, if you generate them they might show up with traits, I was thinking more of babies born in the colony

The "More Trait Slots" mod has a bug where kids are are born with traits, you can just remove the traits if you have Character Edit as well

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Are Exotic trade ships the only place to get Archite genes? I've only ever seen one ship with an archite gene for sale and I've had no luck shoving Sanguophage after Sanguophage into the gene extractor.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Mzbundifund posted:

I got a beggar event: a seven year-old kid is begging for medicine to treat his little brother who is apparently critically injured in some other location.

On the one hand, I have the medicine, but the kid has zero medical skill, and if I give it to him, the brother will probably die anyway, and I’ll never see the kid again.

But on the other hand, if I arrest the kid, I can adopt him into the colony and give him as good a life as it’s possible to have on The Rim, but without the medicine the brother will certainly die.

What’s the right thing to do here?

Dev mode, build his brother on the edge of the map, make him sick/injured, rescue him and then adopt both.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

King Doom posted:

Dev mode, build his brother on the edge of the map, make him sick/injured, rescue him and then adopt both.

This makes me want to play on a huge map with a very spread out tribal village colony. Probably on an easy difficulty so raids aren't a big deal but the major problems are like, logistics and moving food around and stuff. :thunk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MerrMan posted:

"Wealth-independent progress mode" in the options. Holy poo poo. How did I not know about this? I think this is what I've been wanting - a sort of flat difficulty increase that I try to make my colony keep up with, rather than having huge colony wealth in non-combat poo poo scaling the raids I get to the moon.

it's fairly new, they only added it in the last DLC growth spurt.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What does it progress based on though? Time passed? Tech researched? Does it account for Crashland vs Tribal progression timescale?

time passed, yeah on a scale of some number of years it will ramp up difficulty to a maximum (the default is 12 years). Changing this mid-game may result in some weird raid sizes, it's intended to be set at start I think but you can also adjust other settings mid game like threat scale (up to 500% or down)

keep in mind raid sizes are somewhat random and there are also categories of raid between normal- and economy-sized

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 30, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Digital War posted:

Are Exotic trade ships the only place to get Archite genes? I've only ever seen one ship with an archite gene for sale and I've had no luck shoving Sanguophage after Sanguophage into the gene extractor.

Spacer tech Exotic caravans can carry them too (not 100% sure), but it doesn't look like trade inventories for other settlements have them (I may have just been very unlucky)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thinking about different ways of handling raids:

How feasible would it be to have something like a tribal village with small saferoom vault dug into the side of a mountain, and when raiders showed up just have everyone go hide there and lock the doors? Like, at what point do raiders actually give up and leave? If I kept all of my wealth stored somewhere else on the map most of their destruction would go there, right?

Basically, is it possible to just avoid the raiders while they do their thing and let them pillage and then leave?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is a threshold of "stuff available for stealing" and if raiders see enough things they can just take and leave, they will do that and the raid will end. this has been tinkered with over time but I'm almost certain it still works this general way. you used to be able to strategically put out open stockpiles of excess material and use them as bribes to get raiders to take the loot without bothering you beyond that.
e: this does not help vs mechanoid raids, who have come to just kill your people and don't have any "we're done here" condition

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did you know that Flamebows shoot flaming arrows? Every single time they shoot? Which set stuff on fire? And that a Flamebow equipped hunter will happily set a good two dozen tiles aflame to shoot a rabbit?

And if you have fog as forced weather for the next 10 days, that there's nothing stopping the flames from burning down basically the whole map? (Except the river running right through the middle of it, thankfully.) Unfortunately, my buildings are on the wrong side of the river :(

So don't be a big dumb-dumb like me, equip your hunters with non-flaming bows!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Goddamn, Acid Spray is crazy good earlygame. Can heartily recommend trying it out for a tribal start.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

related to that, it is possible to pick out the spine shooter gene from vampires and stick it into a non hemogen race, in which case I have no idea how that works :shrug:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fhqwhgads posted:

Had a refugee quest that was just a kid being chased by "something" so I hit accept and the kid spawned on the edge of the map being chased by a timber wolf. Briefest colony appearance ever. But everyone still got the "colonist member died" malus.

Edit: makes up for the five year old Hussar with 12/12 melee/ranged I picked up earlier. Such a great genotype or whatever.

I had one of those and ticked debug on to see what the code said. Turned out the kid had discovered a faction leader injured in a ditch and insulted him, prompting them to set up a global warming machine nearby if I took the kid in.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Twice now a dozen yittens assaulted my base and just rolled right over me

I need to scale up arms much much faster, Jesus those Chewbaccas are trucks

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

How feasible would it be to have something like a tribal village with small saferoom vault dug into the side of a mountain, and when raiders showed up just have everyone go hide there and lock the doors? Like, at what point do raiders actually give up and leave? If I kept all of my wealth stored somewhere else on the map most of their destruction would go there, right?

Bit of an aside, but I really like using the Ignorance is Bliss mod for playing tribals, it keeps the raids against you at a configurable technology limit (By default I think it's your effective tech level+1, so only other tribals and insects at first unless you've got some mods that add other lower tech factions; there's empty rungs on the faction tech ladder in vanilla) until your more advanced yourself, I usually use it with Tech Advancing and have it set up to use the now non-static colony tech level as the effective tech level.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone know of a mod that just lets me look at an item in my storage area and go "Get rid of this!" and push a button and it marks it for a colonist to come and throw it in the smelter/incinerator?

I know I can set those facilities to just automatically get rid of anything with certain parameters but being able to do it manually would be nice too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Roundboy posted:

Twice now a dozen yittens assaulted my base and just rolled right over me

I need to scale up arms much much faster, Jesus those Chewbaccas are trucks

neanderthals are too, and lmao I hope you're ready for 100 fire spewing impids
ps: on that note they buffed the temperature related gene effects so they're even more heat resistant/yttakin are more cold resistant etc

per-build patch notes are being published on the Rimworld development discord:
https://discord.com/channels/684960023020961812/687923435292065840

rather important fyi, bloodlust/volatile appear to multiply with whatever goes on with aggressive/hyperagressive

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 31, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I have a couple of questions:

Are the medieval mods updated for 1.4?
Are there xenotypes for more classical fantasy races now?

I already downloaded a mod that makes xenogenes transferrable and would like to play a rimworld medieval fantasy game with magic being replaced by psycasts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

polux tree + toxifier generator is completely stable, it turns out, possibly it can support more than one generator :shrug:

"I never asked for this"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 31, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

I already downloaded a mod that makes xenogenes transferrable and would like to play a rimworld medieval fantasy game with magic being replaced by psycasts.

I know at least the VFE Kingdom faction is updated to 1.4, but I don't know about other medieval mods.

You can use the A Rimworld Of Magic mod if you want your colonists casting actual magic though :kiddo:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes, but I don't want to use it for a change.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is the nicest hospital I've ever made in the game, I never bothered with the vitals monitors before

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PSA do NOT give cocaine to a baby

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

This mod adds a bunch of new xenotypes and genes including elf and orc xenotypes:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2877887281

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Digital War posted:

spacer tech cities definitely do sometimes have archite vials, so that makes trading quite a lot more appealing!

QuarkJets posted:

PSA do NOT give cocaine to a baby

and make sure to disallow it for children even if they have the gene for it, they don't require it until adulthood

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Now that shelves are incredible I kind of want to keep smaller freezers around my base, like a little room just for psychoid and smokeleaf leaves that I haven't gotten around to processing yet. Maybe a small secondary dining area, even. Is mood based on the best dining room?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: the Don't Hurt The Children mod:
"-Added option to make man in black appear when all adults are downed rather than all pawns. So a man in black will come recuse the children."

I think that is the most adorable thing :allears:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pigskins attacked my colony via drop pod again, this time they podded into my Overseer's bedroom. My overseer's wife was sleeping but was able to get out before they landed, smashing half the room. They started smashing the rest while I gathered my group. Very convenient of them to cram themselves into a small area. Put strong melee fighters at the door, had Krrsh open it then cancelled his movement, had Rasalas toss a grenade in while my Overseer, also a psyker, stunned the pigskin carrying molotovs with their stun ability. Rinse, Repeat, dead pigskins with only modest injuries to my colonists. No pigskin survivors, the one downed one bled out before he coudl receive medical attention, as they were too busy attending to my pawns and I diverted a non-medic too late.

Shame about my Overseer's room, she and her wife and some really nice furniture. Now its all wrecked.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe a small secondary dining area, even.

the new shelves are a blessing and a curse for this because they hold so much 1 shelf will eat your whole stash. like 500 tea to be sure the farther shelf is stocked. i noticed it with steel, a crafting shelf and a killbox reload shelf means the main stockpile is empty unless i have more than 1000 at all times

e: \/\/ yea, i figured there was a mod. tbh its something i assume vanilla will fix eventually. like when they added all the new kinds of food but you couldnt tell which was which in-game until a month later

pink noise fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 31, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pink noise posted:

the new shelves are a blessing and a curse for this because they hold so much 1 shelf will eat your whole stash. like 500 tea to be sure the farther shelf is stocked

there is a mod that lets you control stack count limit per shelf type, so you can have small shelves limited to only 1 stack like you probably want:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2872105813&searchtext=shelf

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do items on shelves inside the orbital trade beacon count for trading?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had a feral child show up, but I couldn't arrest him so he starved to death. :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

explosivo posted:

Do items on shelves inside the orbital trade beacon count for trading?

They sure do

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know of a mod that just lets me look at an item in my storage area and go "Get rid of this!" and push a button and it marks it for a colonist to come and throw it in the smelter/incinerator?

I know I can set those facilities to just automatically get rid of anything with certain parameters but being able to do it manually would be nice too.
I'm backing this.
I'd like to just select handful of things instead of having to fartarse about with Smelting orders but ONLY this Quality but NOT this gun and and and

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

QuarkJets posted:

They sure do

cool, thanks. I thought they did, but haven't gotten a trader that wants what I've got yet so I couldn't verify lol.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Flesh Forge posted:

there is a mod that lets you control stack count limit per shelf type, so you can have small shelves limited to only 1 stack like you probably want:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2872105813&searchtext=shelf

yess this owns thanks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

Can these adjustments be made on a per-shelf basis? Like could I specify that a shelf is only allowed to have 10 fine meals, 8 beers, and 8 hits of yayo?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I may have, uh, decapitated and eaten the ancient mechanitor corpse (that you get from summoning the ancient ship) before I could extract the robot chip thingy from it. Are my family of yay slinging space hillbillies doomed to live a robot less life, or are there ways to get another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh man Rimworld on the Steam deck is fuckin wild. It works really really well imo