Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

And yet we redesigned all of society's infrastructure and city design to accommodate these things

don't worry silicon valley's finest are hard at work making them electric and unsupervised while not solving any of the actual problems of a car-dependent society

oh, and accidentally reinventing the bus and train repeatedly for some reason

https://i.imgur.com/qqeauGP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Don't worry, I'm doing my best to derail that into "what actually IS heterosexual anyway, maaaaan"

This is derail valley, after all

Hetero just means different or unalike or something like that, so in a true sense, me loving someone who's attractive or likeable is heterosexual regardless of gender.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A likely story.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

redgubbinz posted:

oh, and accidentally reinventing the bus and train repeatedly for some reason

Hey, tell the whole idea, Its a bus or train that poor people cant use.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hihohe posted:

Hey, tell the whole idea, Its a bus or train that poor people cant use.

You know and I know that the biggest problem facing society, according to rich computer programmers, is that life is not convenient enough for rich computer programmers

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

Hetero just means different or unalike or something like that, so in a true sense, me loving someone who's attractive or likeable is heterosexual regardless of gender.

Heterosexual means shagging weirdos, really

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cool memes

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

dialhforhero posted:

It’s even funnier when you realize the trunk is under the massive hood and the engine is in the back. I think it only had a paltry 110hp or something massively underpowered.

It was essentially a classic VW Beetle engine put in a sports-car.

This car, a 1981 Volvo 260 had the exact same PRV V6 engine as the DeLorean. 130-140 hp.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

bike tory posted:

I haven't watched the second season, but the first season was pretty embarrassingly inconsistent given the budget. Individual episodes were good or sometimes great, but others were worse than the shittiest 1990s fantasy shlock. The episode about going up the mountain to find some dragons stands out as particularly bad.

Also the show jumped around in time constantly but featured ageless characters (and they forgot to age up/down the one human character who would actually age), so unless you had read the books you were often left pretty confused about the characters motivations in any particular episode. They signalled the time jumps well enough through dialogue or exposition for people to piece together the overarching story, but it still didn't work well for someone who hadn't read the books.

Also, the standard "too woke" complaints of the usual crowd who don't want anything in their media other than white actors, power fantasy straight cis men, and simpering sexy women as scene dressing.

Oh yeah true, I forgot how messy the first season was, but I think the second season improved a lot from a storytelling standpoint. To be honest I mostly asked because it confused the hell out of me why people were so upset about it.. either you like it and keep watching, or you don't like it and you don't watch it, apart from that who gives a poo poo?

I am definitely uneducated here but I get the impression that the exact same angry nerds who are bursting an aneurysm about how bad the witcher show was, are probably the exact same idiots who will happily gush about how good the avengers or star wars movies are. Or, as you say, just people who would otherwise be big big fans of "the gamer word"

I think I'm just confused as poo poo by how much hate it got despite it being relatively solid all things considered, especially compared to the source material (the books, I mean). I would happily watch another season or 2. But somehow Marvel is continuing to make another 5000 movies I will never ever watch and nobody complains about that

boofhead has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Oct 30, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

axolotl farmer posted:

This car, a 1981 Volvo 260 had the exact same PRV V6 engine as the DeLorean. 130-140 hp.

'84 240DL greatest car in the world. can hit garbage cans and deer at 45mph and do nothing but break a headlight

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those weird padded-ladder headrests

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

boofhead posted:

Oh yeah true, I forgot how messy the first season was, but I think the second season improved a lot from a storytelling standpoint. To be honest I mostly asked because it confused the hell out of me why people were so upset about it.. either you like it and keep watching, or you don't like it and you don't watch it, apart from that who gives a poo poo?

I am definitely uneducated here but I get the impression that the exact same angry nerds who are bursting an aneurysm about how bad the witcher show was, are probably the exact same idiots who will happily gush about how good the avengers or star wars movies are. Or, as you say, just people who would otherwise be big big fans of "the gamer word"

I think I'm just confused as poo poo by how much hate it got despite it being relatively solid all things considered, especially compared to the source material (the books, I mean). I would happily watch another season or 2. But somehow Marvel is continuing to make another 5000 movies I will never ever watch and nobody complains about that

Where are you getting people hating it from? It's 8-9/10 on the usual sites.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

People complain about marvel movies all the time, what are you talking about?

The Witcher was fine, I liked it but I didn't think it was strong enough to really draw in people who hadn't already encountered the franchise. The time jumps in S1 really killed interest in the show when I've tried to show it to friends who hadn't played the games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In my experience people who like Marvel movies and people who like The Witcher are almost a perfect venn diagram overlap. I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i liked the witcher show, have never read the books or played the games, and don't particularly care for marvel films (the first iron man was sweet tho)

:shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I still wonder if the Polish exchange student in my dorm in 2004 got anyone else to play the Witcher tabletop RPG. The guy was translating his own printouts for us, it didn't thrill the gaming group.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Empty Sandwich posted:

in 1985 my father had a student who was an (the?) heir to the Lay snack fortune and some equally massive amount of money from the other side of the family.

she bought a DeLorean but decided it wasn't sufficiently rad so she had it painted red.

well, that's my story. god bless.

interesting. i know someone who had a red delorean (recently sold it). i think he said it was painted back in the day too, not as crash repair

here it is next to my javelin

and also not

the gold wheels are hot

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I did not like the Witcher series after committing to the whole first season. I wasted that time and despair upon considering what other feats I might have should accomplished.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
i like deloreans and witchers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Raluek posted:

interesting. i know someone who had a red delorean (recently sold it). i think he said it was painted back in the day too, not as crash repair

There were three Deloreans that were officially painted when they were considering paint as an option. There was one each in red, black, and yellow. After Delorean folded they were sold as company property and the person who bought the red one thought it was a 3rd party paint job and stripped it down to stainless steel, the owner of the black one repainted it blue for some reason, and the yellow one is with a private collector who still has it yellow.
Apparently there were dealers who would paint them new before putting them on the lot. And as you mentioned some were in crashes and were painted to cover up filler.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

McPhearson posted:

There were three Deloreans that were officially painted when they were considering paint as an option. There was one each in red, black, and yellow. After Delorean folded they were sold as company property and the person who bought the red one thought it was a 3rd party paint job and stripped it down to stainless steel, the owner of the black one repainted it blue for some reason, and the yellow one is with a private collector who still has it yellow.
Apparently there were dealers who would paint them new before putting them on the lot. And as you mentioned some were in crashes and were painted to cover up filler.

thinking back on what i was told about this one, i think he said it was painted for a trade show back in the day? could have just been done by a dealer too, as you say

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A funny fact I just discovered about the delorean is that its speedo only went up to 85mph

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

sebmojo posted:

A funny fact I just discovered about the delorean is that its speedo only went up to 85mph

that was a fuckin law in america, it was supposed to be so people drove slower but i dont think it worked

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sebmojo posted:

yeah that was a legal requirement for a bunch of years. i think it was simultaneous with the national 55 mph speed limit. both of these things were supposed to get people to slow down and save gas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Infinitum posted:

Cool memes

That pbf comic about saying weeaboo but for heresy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that was a legal requirement for a bunch of years. i think it was simultaneous with the national 55 mph speed limit. both of these things were supposed to get people to slow down and save gas.

Didn't they get rid of the 55 thing for some reason to appease rear end in a top hat states or am I remembering some other bullshit bipartisanship

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Ah, but red makes it go faster.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Raluek posted:

here it is next to my javelin

that javelin fucks

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sebmojo posted:

he's just a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChubbyChecker posted:

he's just a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown

oh no! not a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown!!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

it's a mixed crop today not gonna lie:

about 5pm on thursday just last week my kid sprang a "shared morning tea tomorrow, 9:15am" on me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Please don't slap the animals

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please don't slap the animals

Slapping is just very fast petting. E. Honda knows no other way. Give him this brief kindness.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

I liked the parts where they gestured and made serious faces screaming fail immediately and then cgi happened

e: [speaks elvish]

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

some plague rats posted:

oh no! not a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown!!

Yes, a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DyneAvenger posted:

The show is fine: good bits with some less great bits (with a few episodes being very good). The biggest complaint seems to be the writing, which I can see being legit. But most of the bitching is it not being enough like their head canon. The racism was centered around Triss being played by a not-white actress, the biggest of crimes.

Cavill was great as geralt and was really enthusiastic about the source material so it's a bummer he wants to go back to lovely DC movies.

Word is that one of the biggest critics of the writing was Henry Cavill himself. He’d occasionally improvise lines and the writers would ask him where he got the inspiration. He got it from reading the books and using the dialogue that was written in them.

Things apparently came to a head because he demanded to be a Producer so he could have a say in how they were making the show. Netflix seems to have refused, so now Superman Returns (again).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It would have been one thing if they replaced Cavill with the greater Hemsworth brother

but the lesser one? The guy from independence day 2? what the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Geralt, Geralt, there's a rick and morty level buttfrustsrated witcher stan having a meltdown, and he's busting it down Cavill style.