Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's certainly possible, I'm pretty sure you didn't get any other rewards for an instant kill in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

the sex ghost posted:

The p4 difficulty sliders of 'i don't have to grind for 400 hours but enemies can still give me a slap if I don't play the game properly' was perfect and I'm annoyed more games don't do it

My only problem with the P5R difficulties is that they are mislabelled. Hard and Merciless should both be called something different; they are both hard but in different ways. I'd call them something more like hard: grind and hard: glass cannon. And I really like difficulty settings rewarding different play styles that way.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

P5 was never the world's hardest JRPG but mementos in P5R combined with the Strength confidant letting you fuse higher level demons with cash completely breaks the game

So do DLC Personas. You almost have to work to not break P5R.

Mailer posted:

It's a vague memory from release P5 but I remember being really annoyed at that mechanic because I wanted more fusion fodder but couldn't ambush anything. :v:

The Ryuji instakill was horrible in base P5 and did things such as trigger randomly and steal your rewards. In P5R they completely redesigned it so you choose when to trigger it by dashing through low level foes and redesigned the reward you get from it triggering. In P5 it was horrible - but in P5R it's great.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl05U1lJAFc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well she was right, wasn't she??????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, Ryuji's insta-kill ability is super broken in Mementos, huh. Just running over the Shadows with the power of CAR.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

https://twitter.com/SnapsCube/status/1586541037496983552?s=20&t=ZWRQceopChjF-12H8Fea9g

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat, Ryuji's insta-kill ability is super broken in Mementos, huh. Just running over the Shadows with the power of CAR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xaNclkHMA

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I was pretty tired when I did it previously, but I just noticed what the Baton Pass upgrades do. Anyone want to buy some Arginade? I seem to have a ton of it but will never use it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This game starts off kinda really dark. Not sure how you even raise the stakes from here. I mean, it's a JRPG so I assume it ends with killing god, but still.

How old are these kids supposed to be?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

This game starts off kinda really dark.

Believe it or not, things were actually dialed down from what was originally planned.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I was talking more about the abuse and attempted suicide that follows.

Kinda take it as given that the cops are going to mistreat anyone they arrest.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Skippy McPants posted:

Around 16-17 for the first four since they're in second year. Makoto, Haru and Akechi are 17-18, Futaba and Kasumi 15-16.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Oof. Guide I was following decided to take what appear to be extra romance path points and figure those into the total count. Apparently this is due to unlocking some Thieves' Den stuff and presumably making it all fit. This means a hefty time warp so I get to do all of palace 3 again. ~Yay~

God bless fast forward.

Skippy McPants posted:

I mean the world they inhabit is basically divided into "Kids and maybe a few adults who are part of our cause" and "Unforgivably Evil", so I'd imagine you grow up pretty hard. In the P5 universe everyone turns 18 and immediately becomes the worst possible version of themselves unless they spend time with Joker. Corruption in the usual legal/government sectors just gets lumped in as "the adults".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was kind of hoping for a story beat to explain why kids' parents seemed to not mind that their kids were coming home from school battered and bruised, like they were under some sort of psychic spell or something but now that I'm onto the next palace it turns out "he good at volleyball tho" was about the extent of it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Being on a prestigious high school sports team and getting good recommendations means you go to a good college. So the parents ignored the bad poo poo also.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pwnstar posted:

Being on a prestigious high school sports team and getting good recommendations means you go to a good college. So the parents ignored the bad poo poo also.

Yeah I get that, it just seems especially unbelievable that every parent would be fine with their kids getting their asses kicked by a teacher at school if it meant they could get into a nice college. Obviously it's a video game and I guess maybe Japanese culture something something but it really felt like they were going towards a story beat where the parents/police were affected too and would snap out of it when Kamashida was defeated.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mailer posted:

I mean the world they inhabit is basically divided into "Kids and maybe a few adults who are part of our cause" and "Unforgivably Evil", so I'd imagine you grow up pretty hard. In the P5 universe everyone turns 18 and immediately becomes the worst possible version of themselves unless they spend time with Joker. Corruption in the usual legal/government sectors just gets lumped in as "the adults".

"Second year" had me thinking they were supposed to be fifteen or sixteen since I know jack poo poo about Japanese high school. Seventeen or eighteen makes more sense.

I think the art style is throwing me off a bit too, cause everyone looks like they're seven feet tall,

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skippy McPants posted:

"Second year" had me thinking they were supposed to be fifteen or sixteen since I know jack poo poo about Japanese high school. Seventeen or eighteen makes more sense.

I think the art style is throwing me off a bit too, cause everyone looks like they're seven feet tall,

Makoto is in her Third and Final Year, she's graduating and currently looking at college applications and entry exams.

So yeah, First Year (Futaba, Kasumi) is fifteen to sixteen; Second Year (Joker, Ann, Ryuji, Yusuke) is sixteen to seventeen; Third Year (Akechi, Haru, Makoto) is seventeen to eighteen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

explosivo posted:

I was kind of hoping for a story beat to explain why kids' parents seemed to not mind that their kids were coming home from school battered and bruised, like they were under some sort of psychic spell or something but now that I'm onto the next palace it turns out "he good at volleyball tho" was about the extent of it.

Honestly most of them don't have parents that care enough or are too busy being wrapped up in their own stuff. Joker's obvious, Ann's parents aren't around I don't think, Ryuji's mom is probably too busy to notice, Yusuke's parental figure is... who he is and the same goes for Haru. Sae seems to barely interact with Makoto due to her job. Sojiro's probably the only one to say something but Futaba doesn't do the physical stuff and he's probably happy she's getting out of doors.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ryuji’s mother probably does know (her kid’s leg was broken, hard to miss) but she’s a single mom so her opinion is worth dirt as far as japan’s concerned

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if i were the parent of a student who attended ohio state university i would simply demand that the police arrest the faculty member who was diddling my child

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also "highly respected head coach abuses kids and gets away with it" is probably the single most realistic thing in the game

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's more likely the parents told their kids to stfu and buck up since they were trained by an ex Olympian

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i like how futaba has the full suite of DLC costumes, that you can only ever see by specifically going to the entrance of a palace and staring at her doing absolutely nothing lmao

they don't even show up in her combat interruptions!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

explosivo posted:

Yeah I get that, it just seems especially unbelievable that every parent would be fine with their kids getting their asses kicked by a teacher at school if it meant they could get into a nice college. Obviously it's a video game and I guess maybe Japanese culture something something but it really felt like they were going towards a story beat where the parents/police were affected too and would snap out of it when Kamashida was defeated.

No, this is more common in the real world and not just Japan. We live in a lovely world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when all that poo poo about classical conductor James Levine happened, people came forward with stories about how they'd take their youth orchestras to meet him on a field trip and someone would pull them aside and say "By the way, don't leave any of those kids alone in a room with him". For like, decades.

Harvey Weinstein was so well known as a serial abuser that I saw sitcoms literally make jokes about it before he actually got #MeToo-ed

This poo poo happens anywhere where people can have a ton of social power and standing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Two quick questions on P5Royal, specifically if two of the social links are gated.

Hierophant - I remember in vanilla P5 that Sojiro's level social link is locked until after Futaba's event. However, I feel like I have stalled on Level 3, when I believe it happened at Level 4 in the previous game. Did they change it or does he just need like a bajillion points or is there some other pre-requisite?

Councillor - This new one is stuck at Level 5. Is this gated to a certain date or something?

For reference, I am 30 June right now, already beat the mafia boss guy and waiting for the change of heart. I remember that Futaba should be next, hence why I'm asking now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Artelier posted:

Councillor - This new one is stuck at Level 5. Is this gated to a certain date or something?

Yes (very mild spoiler) you can talk with him again after summer break

WRT Hierophant, I think he just needs an unusual amount of points between ranks 3 and 4 and I wouldn't recommend grinding that out before you get Fortune 5

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 31, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hierophant is gated at level 4 until a story event. he does just require a bajillion points at rank 3. i think the idea there is to slow your progress for a while so you aren't stuck at 4 for so long

and yeah councillor is locked there until after the summer

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

In America there was the football coach who was molesting kids and parents literally complained when he was fired.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The mandrake is extremely creepy. Why does it have tits?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pwnstar posted:

In America there was the football coach who was molesting kids and parents literally complained when he was fired.

Yeah hell at my alma mater there was just some random athletic trainer/massage therapist guy they had on contract who molested over a dozen female swim team members. He only ended up getting fired after the victims collected a bunch of evidence and testimony on their own and went over the school's head directly to law enforcement, because prior to that the university just completely brushed it off. Hell they bent over backwards so hard to go to bat for this rando athletic trainer that they fired the swim coach when he drew a line of "either get rid of the guy sexually assaulting my team or get rid of me."

US collegiate sports are absolutely hosed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys should go see TÁR

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The point in P5R that makes me feel the most badass is when I dodge the chalk. Too bad its completely RNG (with a boost from your Proficiency stat).

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

The point in P5R that makes me feel the most badass is when I dodge the chalk. Too bad its completely RNG (with a boost from your Proficiency stat).

Except the first one on a fresh new game. That hits no matter what

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sydin posted:

US collegiate sports are absolutely hosed.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also "highly respected head coach abuses kids and gets away with it" is probably the single most realistic thing in the game

And hell, more directly on point for the thread and game: Béla and Márta Károlyi, the coaching heroes of modern American gymnastics are notorious for Kamoshidaesque training:

quote:

Some of his former athletes, including Kristie Phillips, Dominique Moceanu, and Erica Stokes, have stated publicly that Károlyi was verbally and psychologically abusive during workouts. Károlyi's constant critical remarks about weight and body type were said to drive some gymnasts to develop eating disorders and low self-esteem.[25] Some gymnasts, such as Phillips, Moceanu, and 1988 Olympian Chelle Stack, have also said they were compelled to continue training and competing even when coping with serious injuries such as broken bones.[25] In one interview, Moceanu, who was one of Károlyi's final protégés, said: "I'm sure Béla saw injuries, but if you were injured, Béla didn't want to see it. ... You had to deal with it. I was intimidated. He looked down on me. He was six-feet something, and I was four-foot nothing."[26]

Károlyi was also said to strictly monitor his gymnasts' food intake: Moceanu, for instance, stated that at meets away from home, gymnasts were limited to consuming as few as 900 Calories a day.[27] Even Károlyi's supporters have admitted that at certain competitions, his gymnasts ate so sparingly that members of the men's gymnastics team smuggled food to them in their hotel rooms.[25]

A number of former Károlyi gymnasts, both supporters and detractors, have acknowledged that some of the allegations about Károlyi were true, but have also claimed that the ends—medals—justified the means. In Joan Ryan's 1995 Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, 1992 Olympian Betty Okino said: "What Béla did worked. He motivated me by getting me mad." Some have claimed that Károlyi stopped treating gymnasts harshly when parents directly requested that he do so.[25] In a column she wrote rebutting many of the claims of Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, Okino wrote: "Károlyi structured his training in a way that built your physical and mental strength to such a remarkable level that even he couldn't tear you down. Béla wanted to know that when push came to shove, his athletes could handle any situation thrown at them."[30]

In November 2008, Emilia Eberle, a Romanian national team member during the Károlyi coaching era, gave an interview to KCRA-TV in Sacramento, California, claiming that while she was on the national team, both Béla and Márta Károlyi regularly beat her and her teammates for mistakes they made in practice or competition. "In one word, I can say it was brutal", she told KCRA.[32] Other Romanian team members, including Ecaterina Szabo and Rodica Dunca, as well as Géza Pozsár, the team choreographer who defected with the Károlyis, have made similar charges of physical abuse. When asked in 2008 to comment on the allegations, Béla said: "I ignore it. I'm not even commenting. These people are really trash."[33]

Which makes their claims of ignorance about Nassar all the more suspect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spiffster posted:

Except the first one on a fresh new game. That hits no matter what

I saw one of those step-by-step guides and it said you had to reload the game and replay the chalk dodges, including the very early ones, until they don't hit and like, why are you even playing the game at that point

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I saw one of those step-by-step guides and it said you had to reload the game and replay the chalk dodges, including the very early ones, until they don't hit and like, why are you even playing the game at that point

Never underestimate the power of broken optimizer gamer brains.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

now i wonder what dumb guides anyone's following between this and

Mailer posted:

Oof. Guide I was following decided to take what appear to be extra romance path points and figure those into the total count. Apparently this is due to unlocking some Thieves' Den stuff and presumably making it all fit. This means a hefty time warp so I get to do all of palace 3 again. ~Yay~
there's two different approaches you can take in this one, neither of which have dumb poo poo like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

now i wonder what dumb guides anyone's following between this and

there's two different approaches you can take in this one, neither of which have dumb poo poo like this

This is the one that I have used just to check social stat levels and stuff. It has a poo poo load of free time in the final months of the game. With all of that wiggle room, there’s no point to stick to it so closely.