Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My dad ran out of NCIS to watch and now he's all hosed up on Blue Bloods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s terminal, I’m afraid. The next phase is Yellowstone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
E; nah ignore me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

has like 3 or 4 spinoffs, and is consistently one of the highest rated (read:watched) primetime shows. The advertising is ubiquitous.

TV is the least watched that it has been for a very, very longtime. The monoculture where everyone is at least familiar with the modt popular tv shows hasn't existed for probably fifteen to twenty years at this point.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
This is pretty much all I've seen of NCIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

HopperUK posted:

I enjoy showing people pics of the young David McCallum if they only know him from NCIS. Cuz he was gorgeous in The Man from UNCLE. (which has aged well in some ways and very poorly in others)

Oh my god, yes. Incredibly captivating.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

David McCallum also composed The Edge, a song or sample you may recognize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEqmaqFAMs

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

duck trucker posted:

I haven't paid too much attention but I don't think Chevy Chase has been accused of any actual crimes. He's just a huge rear end in a top hat.

He's coming to my town next month to do a showing of Christmas Vacation with a Q&A afterward. Ticket prices are insane, especially for a movie we'll get a dozen opportunities to see for free around then anyway. I just got an email yesterday that all seats are now buy one/get one free since it isn't selling worth a drat.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The wild thing is him and Belushi are pretty much the exact same personality wise but Belushi is fondly remembered because he died young.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Frankehole had an episode about the Belushi's were they were one person in a Jekyll and Hyde sort of thing. In the end they broke the curse, but the wrong Belushi survived.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kwyndig posted:

Frankehole had an episode about the Belushi's were they were one person in a Jekyll and Hyde sort of thing. In the end they broke the curse, but the wrong Belushi survived.

drat, now there's a show I haven't heard of in ages.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started rewatching Superjail and one thing that wasn't funny then and is even worse now is how the head guard, Alice, is like every offensive right wing stereotype of trans women.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

maltesh posted:

This is pretty much all I've seen of NCIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

better luck next time, slugheads

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Has anyone ever had a bigger fall in public opinion than Bill Murray? I remember when I first got on the internet all of the talk surrounding Bill Murray is he was a good trickster or a manic pixie dream guy. Running around leaving candy in your pocket then whispering in your ear that you're a great person. Now everything I see about him makes it seems like he's a huge dick.

I mean there's Rowling

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Started rewatching Superjail and one thing that wasn't funny then and is even worse now is how the head guard, Alice, is like every offensive right wing stereotype of trans women.

It's such a bizarre show to look back on

rox
Sep 7, 2016

banger theme song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEHtTe0j3U

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

While I’m sure the jokes still happen today, the idea that someone would be vegetarian as an excuse to make them a punching bag.

It didn’t help that most examples used were stereotypes you’d see out of PETA

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
You don't win friends with salad!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But you don't win friends with salad, you need to have a main course too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You could make friends with me with a good salad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You could make friends with me with a good salad.

Liz Truss would hate you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Liz Truss would hate you

It's okay, I'm not into swinging.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's okay, I'm not into swinging.

And now you've made her sad too. I like your style

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was thinking about one of those times that Roger Taylor tried to pretend that anybody cared about him outside of Queen ... by building his big song with The Cross around Queen samples. The song was awful for any era, but the lyrics have aged especially bad.

Taylor held on to teenage rebellion far longer than he had any business doing. It ws already tedious around the song Sheer Heart Attack. A decade later, he was still singing about school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feT1w-Ac5J0

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Oct 30, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I like that Sacha Baron-Cohen interview from after he dropped out of the Queen movie. Their original concept (which they wouldn’t budge on) had Freddy die in the middle of the film, and the rest of the runtime was dedicated to how Queen was still the best band in the world, and only went on to greater and more successful heights afterwards :confused:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The one thing that Freddie asked for before he died was that they won't make him boring.
He was totally ok with his band mates using his image and likeness, just don't make him boring.

What a bunch of horrible friends they turned out to be.

E:Contrast with the members of Motorhead who dissolved the band because "Lemmy was Motorhead"
I'll bet they won't have such a shallow and self congratulating film made.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Oct 30, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Few people know that Queen was not the first name for the name. It was originally "Freddy and those Three Other Guys."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Few people know that Queen was not the first name for the name. It was originally "Freddy and those Three Other Guys."

Hey, that's not fair! Brian May is famous for making the music for Rise of the Robots!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

evobatman posted:

Hey, that's not fair! Brian May is famous for making the music for Rise of the Robots!

He composed only one tune in the final game. It's difficult to believe, but the developers were full of poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

By popular demand posted:

The one thing that Freddie asked for before he died was that they won't make him boring.
He was totally ok with his band mates using his image and likeness, just don't make him boring.

E:Contrast with the members of Motorhead who dissolved the band because "Lemmy was Motorhead"
I'll bet they won't have such a shallow and self congratulating film made.

Several other key members of Motorhead are dead and that band cycled through members. Queen was the same four guys the whole time and they all wrote and sang. They would not have been the biggest band in the world without Freddie but it's a very different situation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite Lemmy thing is him showing up to WrestleMania to sing Triple H's theme and only singing about a third of the words while making a good paycheck off it.

And the Motorhead biopic is Airheads.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My favorite Motörhead trivia is that because the song Motorhead was written while Lemmy was still in Hawkwind, Motörhead could not release the single Motorhead until Hawkwind did first.

\/\/ fixed, thanks. Actually, after looking it up I found the song is just called Motorhead in either band \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Oct 30, 2022

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
The Hawkwind song is just called Motorhead.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Apparently Lemmy wrote Motorhead in the middle of the night when high. He borrowed someone's guitar and work shopped it by blasting away loudly on his hotel room balcony.

Working the hotel desk would have been interesting that night.

E: Lemmy tells the story here.

Elissimpark has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Oct 30, 2022

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Motorhead the song has parallelogram as part of its lyrics, which makes it better than 99% of songs ever released.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

To bring back the debate to the subject of the thread: while Lemmy was from all accounts the nicest most considerate person his love of adding Nazi stuff to his wardrobe did not age well.
I get it, in the 80's it was considered another way to stick it up to high society but it really wasn't a good choice for an aesthetic.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Hasn't the bassist been pretty quiet?
I don't think John Deacon did like, much of anything after Freddie died. I'm pretty sure he's not been involved with basically anything Brian May or Roger Taylor have done.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

ishikabibble posted:

Hasn't the bassist been pretty quiet?

Pretty common in sound mixing.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Nameless Pete posted:

Pretty common in sound mixing.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Motorhead the song has parallelogram as part of its lyrics, which makes it better than 99% of songs ever released.

Surpassed only recently by Cardi B's masterful "punani Dasani"