Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Go for the core, and feast on it's yummy innards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

To get to the core we're literally going to have to cut through a mountain.

The Drauven are attacking – but I have to take out the Morthagi.

They have some distance to travel at least.

I keep the butler down.

They arrive at the Tannery.

I clear the area quickly.

Let's do it.

Hell of a first mission for the newbies.

We get one more chance to gear up.

Ready as we will be.

Time to go into the mountain.

Let's see how far we can get into these tunnels.

This could be worse.

We start facing a Wardrobe.

Down it goes in the first round.

A lone Spectik doesn't stand a chance.

We slice our way down the tunnel with apparent ease.

The lighter Morthagi drop one by one.

We start work on the Coachman.

They swarm forwards.

But let's face it, there is nothing here we've not faced before.

The narrow corridor lets us protect the weaker units.

The Welding's fire can't get through Xanlor's armours wards. The watchman is not as well protected.

We start whittling down the Coachman.

It drops fast.

Xanlor holds the next checkpoint.

I'm amazed we've not taken any damage yet.

Down goes the Weldling.

I use it's fire to kill the coachman.

We then find a wide, open and suspiciously clear corridor.

We stack up on the door.

The final battle begins.....

Kill these and we win.

Honestly, I was expecting more – either those cores are dangerous, or I lucked out on the draw here.

We start clearing the room.

Poor Spectik.

I some hits on the main core with a splinterblast.

I want that wardrobe down.

There we go!

The lesser cores are spawning nurses to repair them.

Once again the whole room is on fire.

We've done a good job clearing out the mobiles.

The Core spews forth a jet of acid, and we take our first proper damage.

I get a measure of revenge.

We keep on killing the weaker ones – their numbers are dropping though.

Down goes another weldling.

They just can't land the hits.

I carry on using magic on the main core.

We're finally through the door.

Honestly, I'm surprised our heroes are not blind – they spend their days fighting in infernos.

Lynn kills the main core.

It's of course Astel who takes the first solid hit.

This guy needs to die.

I control the number of Nurses.

We start on the lesser cores.

Fire has become inconsequential to us.

I add injury to insult by killing a Weldling with it's own fire.

Lynn just keeps chipping away with two attacks a turn.

The others keep the spawning hordes in check.

More are coming from the other three doors – another Coachman is here. But the fire here is about to kill the core when it's turn starts.

The Wardrobe is annoying.

The Coachman comes in an chucks Lynn across the room.

This allows a Spectik to hit Lynn.

Astel hits the last core.

Lynn focuses on the Core.

Xanlor deals with the Spectik bothering her.

It's Astel who lands the last blow, with the death of the last core, the Morthagi shut down.

That went a lot better than I expected!

Lark levels up.

Peace finally comes to the Yonderlands.

The Immortals are going back into hiding.

The Gryphons of the Copperpot Myth have won their decades long fight.

We buy another century of peace for the lands.

Our legacy expands.

Two of these get promotions, I can't hold a vote on this, but I think these are good choices.

This adds more weapons to our crafting.

The question is what next? I could run another campaign, or I could move on to something else – I've got ideas for two more LP's I'd like to do – a Paradox Mega campaign or Decisive campaigns Barbarossa.

What do you guys want?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I wouldn't mind seeing you do another campaign.

Edit: Also, I gotta say, I was expecting things to be a lot worse at the core. That went... relatively smoothly. Also, no "where are they now" for our victorious heroes? A pity, but at least it was a good end.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 30, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the show, and this:

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing you do another campaign.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Well, the newbies pulled that one out, good for them. Still would have liked to have held those Enduring folks a bit more accountable, but peace is peace.

I would also enjoy another campaign, Wyldermyth is a grand game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'd like to see one more run, I get the feeling there's a lot we didn't encounter this time.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Black Robe posted:

I'd like to see one more run, I get the feeling there's a lot we didn't encounter this time.

This, basically. But whatever you want will be fun :D

That really did go way better than expected. But then, it took a lotta blood, sweat, and tears to get that far at all.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I do feel as if I am missing some lore from all of this, maybe because our choices meant we never came across them. If we were to start another campaign, we would see Morthagi roaming and invading and attacking us, or is that soley for this campaign?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tombot posted:

I do feel as if I am missing some lore from all of this, maybe because our choices meant we never came across them. If we were to start another campaign, we would see Morthagi roaming and invading and attacking us, or is that soley for this campaign?

Wildermyth has five "factions" that serve as enemies - Gorgons, Morthagi, Deepists, Thrixl, and Drauven. Each campaign one of them is the main enemy, and three others are picked at random to also be incidentally terrorising parts of the countryside. So morthagi will turn up as incidental enemies in other campaigns but won't be part of the story.

The other story campaigns each focus on one of the other factions. It's worth noting though that while each of these campaign is a story about that faction, it's not the story. We'll see morthagi in other campaigns but that doesn't necessarily mean they're hunting down the Enduring. The core idea that they are automata with long-dead creators, acting out ancient programming, will always be there but the specific reason they're causing trouble can vary.

There's a ton of modding tools that you can use to create your own campaigns, but I don't think anyone's ever actually made a full story campaign like this - it's a lot of work. More common is that there are generic campaigns with randomly-pulled story beats and it's much easier to just add potential chapters to that pool. And even that is less common than just making individual encounter stories.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 30, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Out of context this is such a funny upgrade. "Oh, you have a perfectly normal sword? Try this instead, chump."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Podima posted:

Out of context this is such a funny upgrade. "Oh, you have a perfectly normal sword? Try this instead, chump."

"Yeah, that's a decent sword, but try Icewraith's Cleave, imbued with the booming spirit of stone. It does one more damage."

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 30, 2022

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if you do plan on doing another campaign, i'd suggest elena and the moth. it takes place over a relatively short time span so the starting characters will remain the entire story and it's probably the most interesting story wise imo. the thrixl are a weird enemy too.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Congratulations on taking out the Morthagi! With how tough some of their units can get, it's nice that the final "boss" fight didn't throw in some super-unit with a bunch of minions at you. I do find that the final fight of the Morthagi campaign is easier than many of the others, but simply getting there is the real issue.

There's a lot to enjoy with other campaigns - lots of other events to see, plus the brand new stories and enemy factions. The Drauven and Thrixl campaigns in particular have really great stories. But if you're feeling more interested in a different LP, then I say go with whatever gets you the most excited.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Okay, note to self: best way to solve your Weldling problem is become impervious to fire. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one you don’t see.

Great campaign Grey Hunter! I’d be happy to see another story, perhaps with one or more of our newbies who didn’t have time to shine, and by “shine” I mean “grow bird limbs”.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Tenebrais posted:

"Yeah, that's a decent sword, but try Icewraith's Cleave, imbued with the booming spirit of stone. It does one more damage."

To be fair the elemental weapons do bonus effects on crits as well:

Fire Damages up to three nearby enemies.
Water Refunds one action point. (Can only occur once per turn, stunt damage reduced to 1)
Leaf Grants two temporary hit points. (This effect can stack)
Stone Shreds 1 Armour of all enemies in a two tile radius.

The one thing that I think added to the difficulty of this campaign was doing the detailed search of each area to get an extra augment - unless I've got a spare mystic I can leave behind to search I've never found the extra augments to be worth the delay in clearing regions before the crisis / incursion counter goes up, especially in the later seasons.

If there's another campaign I'd definitely echo the recommendation for the Drauven or Thrixl campaigns, the storylines for both are interesting in their own right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If anyone asks the new group's called the Hired Goons.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
never enough Paradox Mega campaigns imo

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, let's do one more then!

Age of Ulstryx - the Tutorial campaign. A three chapter campaign against the Gorgons (Eldritch Beasts).
Monarchs under the Mountain - A five chapter story against the Deepists (Morlocks)
Eluna and the Moth - A five chapter campaign against the Thrixl (Magical beasts)
All the Bones of Summer - Five chapters against the Drauven (Lizardmen)
Random 3 or 5 Chapter story - There is no overarching villain story, just procedural events.

We also need heroes and a name for the party!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Monarchs under the Mountain

Mostly since I am doing Eluna and the Moth myself atm :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

We also need heroes and a name for the party!

Thing to keep in mind, each campaign requires different starting heroes.

Ulstryx is three new characters, no restrictions except one of each class.
Monarchs requires two existing legacy characters and one new one.
Eluna requires two new mystics (who are siblings), and a warrior and hunter from the legacy.
Summer requires one legacy mystic, one new warrior to be their child, another new warrior, and a hunter with a fixed surname.

Anyway my vote is for Eluna and the Moth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In a pure gameplay mechanics sense, I will note that mystics make for best legacy characters to transfer because 1) they last you longer 2) they have the biggest power spikes from being leveled correctly and 3) speed up strategic map stuff significantly.

Of course, from a storytelling point of view, go with whoever.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

All the bones of summer is by far the best of the story campaigns, honestly.

(also I can't help but notice you didn't list Sunswallower's Wake...)

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I’ll toss my vote in for Eluna, because Thrixl.

All The Bones of Summer is an amazing name for a campaign though, ngl.

BassMug fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 31, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

All The Bones of Summer sounds cool

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022
Eluna and the Moth

As for a character:

Circe
Female
Likes anyone
B2 head
B7 face
D2 hair
No facial hair
Dreamer, Shame, Thorny

Ideally a Mystic

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Eluna

This is an odd sort of game at first perception, where it really doesn't last long enough to feel like the characters growing old and passing on/retiring is a significant thing instead of a problem you'll probably have to deal with just before the final boss. Are all the campaigns like that?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
All the Bones of Summer

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Leraika posted:

Eluna

This is an odd sort of game at first perception, where it really doesn't last long enough to feel like the characters growing old and passing on/retiring is a significant thing instead of a problem you'll probably have to deal with just before the final boss. Are all the campaigns like that?

Worth noting Grey utterly speedran the final chapter and usually you have to get more fights in before the end. The general pacing is you'll start getting your earliest retirements at the end of chapter 3 and by chapter 5 you'll be all characters that weren't there at the start outside maybe one mystic.

There was also a change in a patch a year or so ago - it used to be that the more places you managed to save at the end of a chapter the more years of peace there would be between them (and, consequently, the more your characters would age). A lot of players didn't like this because it was functionally punishing them for winning. That element got removed but the base amount of years of peace wasn't bumped up to compensate, so characters last longer than they did originally.

There's a couple of mods that add generic campaign structures to run longer - both by having longer breaks between chapters and by having more chapters. You can get shorter campaigns too so characters are unlikely to retire at all. Eluna and the Moth is one like that, that campaign only spans a few years rather than multiple generations.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Bones of Summer is my vote!

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I don't see why we can't call ourselves the Grey Hunters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mechanical Ape posted:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Mechanical Ape posted:

I like this name! And I'm voting for Monarchs under the Mountain. Our newly immortal smith mentioned the Deepist cult before, so why not explore that?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Grey Hunters and Monarchs imo

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Eluna and the moth, bones is fantastic but I think starts with one legacy character and we'll have more to choose from if we do eluna first?

They're both excellent choices tbh.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 31, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Tenebrais posted:

Worth noting Grey utterly speedran the final chapter and usually you have to get more fights in before the end. The general pacing is you'll start getting your earliest retirements at the end of chapter 3 and by chapter 5 you'll be all characters that weren't there at the start outside maybe one mystic.

There was also a change in a patch a year or so ago - it used to be that the more places you managed to save at the end of a chapter the more years of peace there would be between them (and, consequently, the more your characters would age). A lot of players didn't like this because it was functionally punishing them for winning. That element got removed but the base amount of years of peace wasn't bumped up to compensate, so characters last longer than they did originally.

There's a couple of mods that add generic campaign structures to run longer - both by having longer breaks between chapters and by having more chapters. You can get shorter campaigns too so characters are unlikely to retire at all. Eluna and the Moth is one like that, that campaign only spans a few years rather than multiple generations.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Eluna And The Moth seems interesting, that's my vote.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Agree with this name.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Honestly, there's all sorts of good arguments for each story, though I'm partial to Monarchs due to a Yugioh archetype of the same name. :X

Grey Hunters definitely sounds good.

Nuclear Kitten
Sep 30, 2021
I'm voting for The Bones of Summer for the campaign. And definitely Grey Hunters for the name.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

going with Eluna and the Moth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Time for The Grey Hunters to face All the Bones of Summer!

Probably want to pick the campaign and then we can pick heroes, since the campaign will decide our approach to legacy heroes.