Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Damnit, sorry, I thought I had the webcam cover on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Speedpaint adventures continue, Kommando Burna Boy this time.

The welding mask was pain but whatever, it was like dat when da mekboy handed it out.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bucnasti posted:

I bought a used DSLR for like ~$125 and it works amazing.
Serious camera guys are crazy gearheads and they're always upgrading to the latest and greatest equipment, so there's a very robust secondary market.
Even a 10 year old DSLR with a decent lens will perform leaps and bounds better than the latest phone cameras.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there are photo threads that could help you find something affordable and excellent for miniatures but something like this Cannon Rebel, which is <$90 without the lens will give you great pictures despite only having a 10mp sensor.
Combine it with a compatible general purpose lens which can be as cheap as $50 and you've got a great setup for taking miniatures pictures and photos of other stuff when you need more than a camera phone.

just wanted to say thanks again for this advice. this camera is like 12 years old but works great. i can take decent pics

it's also picking up the dust and hair that's floating around so i gotta clean my minis before i take pics!

but at least i can capture Carl my trebuchet spotter in all his glory

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I wish my minis looked good enough up close to warrant a nice camera

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm 5€ short of free shipping, does GW make anything worth buying in that price range?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Count Thrashula posted:

I wish my minis looked good enough up close to warrant a nice camera

They probably do and youre probably being too critical of yourself!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Siivola posted:

I'm 5€ short of free shipping, does GW make anything worth buying in that price range?

A paint pot or two?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Siivola posted:

Can never have enough nulin oil.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...I guess? I'm just so used to dropper bottles that I don't actually want to gently caress around with flip tops.

I'm honestly considering the stupid water pot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I actually like contrast paints in flip tops over the dropper bottles for 90% of the time. It's only in the rare chance that I thin them down that I wish I had dropper bottles.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah contrast and washes flow well enough it's not as annoying to get paint out like with the regular paints.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just don't want to spill a bottle of Nuln Oil on our dining table, and this is the only surefire way I know.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yes but now you have the problem of needing a well within to place the amount of paint within another object where you have to clean it periodically or you'll just get a caked on palette

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My palette is the lid off a margarine tub, I just throw it in the bin when I'm done with a project.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I thinned down contrast paints on a wet palette by mixing them with medium. They stayed usable for a shockingly long amount of time.

I used to have a nail polish holder for my desk so I wouldn't spill them but I lost it and should probably buy another one

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well I was going to suggest the Citadel Color Paint Pot Holder, but seems like it's no longer made or available:

It is available on the greater internet: https://store.ggportland.com/citadel-paint-pot-holder.html

but that of course won't help you reach the free shipping threshold.

I have one and put shade, and contrast paints into it before opening them and don't remove them until I close them. Since doing that I've never spilled any.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was looking for that one on the webstore as well but couldn't for the life of me find it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just use sticky tac to stick the pot the the table. There's also a ton of 3d printed options, if you have a printer or have a friend with one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just find someone with an FDM printer and ask them to do you a solid and print something like this holder, it works well enough for me and only cost me saying please to a co-worker.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been meaning to try a bigger brush so I ended up getting an STC shade M. I'll make sure to report back how much it honks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we bought too many white tiles when we got our bathroom done a couple of years ago and so I have a lifetime supply of palettes

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I grabbed the glass out of a 12"x12" picture frame my neighbor was throwing out, taped a piece of white paper to one side, and my oil paint pallet for life was complete!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So after two years I think I have finally settled on a Sisters colour scheme

My attempts so far

I don't know if I want to do entirely gold vehicles cause then the ornate trim would have to be silver instead of gold (less bling, sort of?) but on the other hand that's ostentatious as heck and I'm kinda here for it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Something remains seriously wrong with my wet palette, but on a positive note, turns out Battletech stuff is much easier to set a goal for and paint. Nothing to show yet since they look disastrous so far (would help if my paint wasn't near instantly water within 30 seconds of contact with a wet palette, or else dried out completely within 5 minutes on a dry one) but hopefully I'll have much sooner things to show off than "whenever I finish the nightmare pile of Iron Warriors".

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Something remains seriously wrong with my wet palette, but on a positive note, turns out Battletech stuff is much easier to set a goal for and paint. Nothing to show yet since they look disastrous so far (would help if my paint wasn't near instantly water within 30 seconds of contact with a wet palette, or else dried out completely within 5 minutes on a dry one) but hopefully I'll have much sooner things to show off than "whenever I finish the nightmare pile of Iron Warriors".

A cuppy palette might be a good compromise. They are super cheap, re-usable, and keep paint wet slightly longer.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Can you link an example, I can't figure out what you mean from Google.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Bored Online posted:

A cuppy palette might be a good compromise. They are super cheap, re-usable, and keep paint wet slightly longer.

I have one. I use it for metallics. That drying time was using that palette (in a clean well).

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Have you tried building your own from scratch?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Radiation Cow posted:

Have you tried building your own from scratch?

Yup. Same results. Since I actually took some photos today, here's how the current one is going:

L-R a couple hours old, about 30 minutes old with more paint added halfway through, less than a minute old.

7 minutes later with fairly minimal interaction (maybe one brushful taken). I'd normally say that the palette itself is dry enough to be pulling water out of the paint, but the paint is also getting watery at the same time, not behaving like you'd expect it to if you were removing water content. Plus in prior attempts doing the same method I've had enough extra water in the palette that I had to be careful to keep the level below the paper line, just to make sure it was fully saturated, and it did the same "pulling the moisture out" at the same speed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone ever made some "progress posts" like how far they've got in a year or so?

I'm looking over my past stuff and feeling somewhat better about my recent paintjobs

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Not me, I feel bad enough as is.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll post it and y'all can roast me

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup. Same results. Since I actually took some photos today, here's how the current one is going:

So frustrating. I remember some other goons trying to help you troubleshoot, so I won't go over that again. Even though I'd really love to help you solve the issue. ::argh:

I feel like my painting's stagnated a bit, so a before/after thing is actually a nice idea. Your stuff looks so much smoother GB, the progress is especially clear on that Ultramarine. Gentler highlights, better contrast and just better ovall.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys what's a good widely available version of Primer Spray paint I can get that works with the plastic minis? I cant get the Games workshop version because I'll have to order it online and that will cost an arm and a leg to get it shipped here because it's a 'flammable' thing so it will be super expensive and take forever to clear customs.

thanks

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Acrylic car primer from the hardware store is basically the same stuff.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Acrylic car primer from the hardware store is basically the same stuff.

Ok thanks will check for it

Would something like this work?

https://www.saco.sa/en/All-Saco-Cat...eBoCnNQQAvD_BwE

Or this?

https://www.jarir.com/sa-en/marabu-...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 31, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You'll want a 12 oz. (or 400 ml) can, and acrylic instead of enamel. You probably also don't want a metallic or gloss finish, try searching for "satin" or "flat" instead.

I don't know any of these brands. Maybe this weird brown Krylon spray is good? No idea. "Primer + Paint" seems extra, I'd try to find something that was primer only.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

You'll want a 12 oz. (or 400 ml) can, and acrylic instead of enamel. You probably also don't want a metallic or gloss finish, try searching for "satin" or "flat" instead.

I don't know any of these brands. Maybe this weird brown Krylon spray is good? No idea. "Primer + Paint" seems extra, I'd try to find something that was primer only.

ok lets see what I can find, worst comes to worst I just bite the bullet and order from ArmyPainter and wait a while before it gets here.

Edit :--

just checked with he shipping company it wont be too bad cost wise so I'll just buy the Army Painter Spray cans.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 31, 2022

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll post it and y'all can roast me
Not much to roast here honestly!

You got me to look at my old oaths, so here's my progress through the years.
First ever oath in 2014.

Middle of the season oath 2015.

Last oath, in 2018.

Commission Kill Team last year.

Last finished figure, made with a grissaile sketch and homemade contrast-likes as a quick test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Working on a couple of these old LotR minis, I'm liking how this dude is coming out so far. Couldn't do a second pass with the metallic immediately, so that will be the first order of business Thursday. My coverage is getting better I feel, and the other guy in the pair (I had two of the sword dudes) should end up even better.

Also stripping some WizKids DnD figures that someone had painted, IPA really kills paint, huh? It's dark out so I'll do most of the work tomorrow but even dripping some on a toothbrush and a little bit of scrubbing has left me with a pretty clean surface, so they should be nice and clean without much trouble