Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

PostNouveau posted:

I love the end where Martin is at the trophy ceremony and cuts the legs out of the whole episode by noting that the driver in his car design is essentially just ballast.

'I'm also fat' is another banger so maybe the ep isn't missing as much as I thought. Still unfortunate tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s a case of yes and no.

They have some episodes of the original series with the music video segments in tact. It’s not the whole series. I’m hoping they get more.

They also still have the Mike Judge Collection which is what’s been floating around on dvd for years, a sort of best of compilation without the music videos.

There’s also maybe a two or three episodes from the 2010 reboot.

It sucks that there isn’t one place to watch the entirety of the show. Seems like half the show is lost media.

The big problem I have with the Mike Judge Collection is some of the episodes are a hack job. There are some earlier episodes where it's cut up, or just missing parts. The Christmas bits are especially egregious, with the segments being episodes, but the letters to Santa-Butthead are bonus features.

I am so thankful that I have the ~2003 Time Life set, which contains several episodes that didn't make the cut to the Mike Judge Collection, and Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas is as intact as it can be without music videos.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it could have been d'oh note and it makes donuts.... or maybe homer just thinks that anyways......

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Just do Bartkira you cowards. Full length, canonical.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

I love the end where Martin is at the trophy ceremony and cuts the legs out of the whole episode by noting that the driver in his car design is essentially just ballast.

Bart not paying attention & thinking Martin was instructing him to kill spectators is one of my all time favorite gags, especially the subsequent slap.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno, watch it if you like those Family Guy movie parodies.

The Michael Bay one was pretty drat funny tbh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

The Michael Bay one was pretty drat funny tbh

I generally like all those Family Guy movie parodies. Being as good as one of those is actually a pretty big improvement on most late era Simpsons.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Prurient Squid posted:

Just sparked the memory of the long-rumored anime episode of Quantum Leap that Katsuhiro Otomo was supposed to have directed. I think the claim was that during the Olympics in the early 90s people saw a clip of Akira was shown on NBC with a mention of "Sam leaps into a cartoon!"

I don't even know how/why that specific rumor became a thing for a while.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Prurient Squid posted:

It'd have to be Bartneda with Milhousuo, but people may complain if Lisa was crushed by his out of control body horror. Martin would be a shoe in for one of those weird old brainy kids.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

iamsosmrt posted:

It'd have to be Bartneda with Milhousuo, but people may complain if Lisa was crushed by his out of control body horror. Martin would be a shoe in for one of those weird old brainy kids.

I suspect you may not be familiar with the existing Bartkira, which is amazing

https://youtu.be/0SWt6OQ4Nl4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You Are A Elf posted:

:same: on the first and second paragraph. I went one more season of THoH and subjected myself to a bland parody of the totally forgettable and totally forgotten Mr. & Mrs. Smith movie with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt from 2005, and the episode aired two years after that. Everything afterward is either a blur or I just gave up entirely. Kidding, it’s the latter.

I'm still more lol that a large part of MGS4's final act is devoted to a Mr and Mrs Smith style battle, and one half of the couple is most notable for onscreen making GBS threads himself.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Riptor posted:

Oh this is pretty cool, yeah I hadn't seen it, but naming aside, it looks pretty close to "my" suggestions. I guess Samantha would be the logical tragic love interest of Milhouse. Still, the name choice is a bit odd since Bart pretty clearly isn't the Akira stand-in, but I guess it's got the naming recognition.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Riptor posted:

Oh poo poo, that was amazing. Ned! No!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/guuBV38.mp4

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

my mom, who is the most religiously conservative person i know in my life, didn't give a poo poo about any questionable stuff in the simpsons. but that wasn't cause she didn't mind the more blasphemous aspects of the show, but rather cause she thought all animation was garbage for little kids. to her, the simpsons was no different than looney tunes so she let me watch it without any issue whatsoever. of course, it also helped that she couldn't speak english.

on the other hand, my mom would frequently complain whenever i would watch something like married with children. she couldn't understand any of the comedy in that show either, but took note whenever the raunchy scenes with hot half naked women would appear. she would disgustingly ask why i would watch such filth and i had to insist to her that i was watching for the clever writing and not for the scantily clad women (which was half true!). thankfully she never actually stopped me from watching it.

Wizard Master posted:

What do you think the darkest jokes on the show have been

panda rape and frank grimes' death are both up there

there's a lot of dark poo poo in many of the treehouse of horror episodes (like apu's and multiple other springfielders bodies' floating in the ocean at the end of the killer dolphins episode, or homer killing patty when he becomes the grim reaper), but those episodes are specifically designed to be dark so i dunno if they count.

DaveWoo posted:

Now that I think about it, why isn't there a nostalgia-bait sitcom about growing up in the 2000s?

somebody (more?) already mentioned it but a big reason for that is cause we're not exactly finished extracting all the juice from the 90s nostalgia turnip just yet. the 2000s didn't start the edgy comedy series (we already had that in the 90s with married with children, south park, and i guess also the simpsons to an extent apparently), but it did open the floodgates. Family Guy, Aquateen Hunger Force, hell pretty much everything on Adult Swim helped popularize that type of content.

The 00s also were defined by (not uncoincidentally) edgy websites and messageboards, and linkin park style music. you could absolutely create a nostalgia bait series around that time frame.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's the Halloween episode. First segment: a Babadook parody where Marge tries to murder Maggie.

The second was a Death Note parody done in an anime style. I've never seen Death Note and I can tell this is probably confusing to the old people like my parents who still watch The Simpsons. Is it a good parody? Not that funny but at least the animation was interesting.

Third segment was another nostalgia bait one where the old episodes are a West World style thing. I also don't think my dad would get what this is a parody of or what exactly is going on, too meta. They do a lot of meta ones nowadays.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1586893893118763008?s=20&t=pcG7p-8B52bvvTdgpt9nSw

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wait, the Death Note thing was in an actual episode? I thought it was some sort of fan animation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes. Maybe you were confusing it with Bartkira, which is a fan thing.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm on season 10, the only episodes I can think of that I wouldn't want to watch again are Lisa babysitting Bart and when Homer meets Baldwin.

The turn into jerkass Homer was pretty jarring in how abrupt it is. Casually telling Lisa to shut up stood out in particular

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Mantis42 posted:

Yes. Maybe you were confusing it with Bartkira, which is a fan thing.

I always knew Bartkira was a fan thing, I just thought that this one was also a fan thing in the same vein as Bartkira

Bartkira rocks

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm on season 10, the only episodes I can think of that I wouldn't want to watch again are Lisa babysitting Bart and when Homer meets Baldwin.

The turn into jerkass Homer was pretty jarring in how abrupt it is. Casually telling Lisa to shut up stood out in particular

I thought the babysitting one was good, not an all timer but solid golden age. I liked Homer parking in the fountain & Wiggum admiring the Yard King.

9 has good stuff but definitely feels off. I noticed Lisa the Skeptic began the show’s compulsion to have every wacky townsperson pop up at events whether it made sense or not. Why are Moe, Mr. Burns, Dr. Hibbert, & Lionel Hutz hanging around a mall construction site? They’re beginning the wearying requirement Sideshow Mel lurk around every crowd, that’s what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pointed out in the comments that's absolutely in line with the 'American' names the original uses.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I thought the babysitting one was good, not an all timer but solid golden age. I liked Homer parking in the fountain & Wiggum admiring the Yard King.

9 has good stuff but definitely feels off. I noticed Lisa the Skeptic began the show’s compulsion to have every wacky townsperson pop up at events whether it made sense or not. Why are Moe, Mr. Burns, Dr. Hibbert, & Lionel Hutz hanging around a mall construction site? They’re beginning the wearying requirement Sideshow Mel lurk around every crowd, that’s what.

That's also about when they stopped making new regular characters, too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

the show’s compulsion to have every wacky townsperson pop up at events whether it made sense or not.

I noticed this too, along with them being an angry collective more and more.

Was Lisa the Skeptic the angel skeleton one?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why were Krusty and Reverent Lovejoy and Barney all in the angry mob in The Telltale Head? Checkmate zombiesimpsonailures

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Wait, the Death Note thing was in an actual episode? I thought it was some sort of fan animation

Yeah, it was a Treehouse of Horror segment. If it weren't for the art it would have absolutely sucked balls, as it is it sucks balls while being pretty fun to look at.

(I haven't actually watched Death Note so maybe it has references in it that I'd have appreciated more if I knew them, but I don't really trust Simpsons writers to make that any good either)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The West World one was alright. The other two sucked

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

There is so, so much untapped horror media past and present that would make for great and memorable THoH segments like “The Shinning,” “The Devil and Homer Simpson,” and “Bart Simpson’s Dracula.”

Instead, they continue to parody any pop culture phenomena from three years ago lmao

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pointed out in the comments that's absolutely in line with the 'American' names the original uses.

That's also about when they stopped making new regular characters, too.

But now they have Lindsay Nagel, who to this day, I have no idea what she's supposed to be but she keeps popping up. She's like the store generic brand Simpsons town person.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

But now they have Lindsay Nagel, who to this day, I have no idea what she's supposed to be but she keeps popping up. She's like the store generic brand Simpsons town person.

She's the face of scumbag capitalism basically. If there's a parody of a company doing bad poo poo, she's going to be the cheerful messenger of doom in the episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Disco Stu and Duffman are two of the worst offenders, completely one-note characters who never should have reappeared after their initial gags and just loudly shout their catchphrase whenever they're on screen

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
gently caress Gil

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The YEEESSSS guy has to be the worst for me since it wasn't even funny the first time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

No Dignity posted:

Disco Stu and Duffman are two of the worst offenders, completely one-note characters who never should have reappeared after their initial gags and just loudly shout their catchphrase whenever they're on screen

Disco Stu is a reference to 1977’s Saturday Night Fever and appeared in 1996. If he were still a reference to something from 19 years ago he should now be Shrek Man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hot take: I like Gil

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

Hot take: I like Gil

Gil is based off of Jack Lemmon’s character in Glengarry Glen Ross, and Jack Lemmon loving owns so Gil is alright in my book.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

gil suffered from being slotted into roles that should have gone to a lionel hutz or troy mcclure. its like having an awesome dog die and getting a new one and its just kind of an ok, standard dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Krusty tends to show up in most crowd scenes; I think a good test of an effective scene is whether he is, or would be, standing out among other characters as visually outlandish.

Really early with no recognizable (or on-model) characters is weird:

Krusty shows up and pops out because he's a clown, among other recognizable characters and some NPCS; good:

But if Krusty doesn't stand out, there's too much going on. You're now thinking specifically about Jacques and Freddie Quimby and Manjula instead of the crowd being recognizable but still able to read as "townspeople."