Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

If it weren't for the Simpsons what would my mind be constantly making references to to this day? Super Friends?

I went to a theme park today and parked in the Itchy lot. Simpsons is hard-wired into the Gen X brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re so spoiled for choice today, it’s hard to imagine that if you were a subversive 30 something in 1995, you’re choices for cartoons were The Simpsons or The Critic. Matt Groening was essentially THE institution of American comedy, aside from SNL.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If you're a fan of subversive comedy in 1995, you'd probably be watching Space Ghost and not The Simpsons tbh.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but in 1994 you had Beavis & Butt-head and in 1997 you had South Park

Things ramped up pretty drat hard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

If you're a fan of subversive comedy in 1995, you'd probably be watching Space Ghost and not The Simpsons tbh.

You watched both. That’s kind of my point, if you were “into” weird comedy in the early/mid 90’s, you could literally watch everything every week and still only have like 2-maybe 3 hours of content MAX before you had to wait for Sunday to roll around again.

Compared to today, where we’ve got literally hundreds of hours of Adult Swim shows I’ve never heard of and will never, ever see. I don’t even have time for the shows that I like! I love American Dad, for example, but haven’t seen more than 1-2 episodes from the last 2 years because there’s only so many hours in a day and video games are all like 100 hours now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

thank god family guy saved western animation

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Family Guy still has a much higher ratio of hits to misses. Once you forgive Family Guy for being what it is, a vehicle to deliver as many jokes as possible within 22 minutes, it becomes a lot easier to stomach it and just relax and consume. The Simpsons will never be able to outrun its cultural attaché to Gen Z and Millenials, and will be unfavorably compared to the first 10 seasons forever, because the good years of the Simpsons are literally the foundation of comedy and humor for many/perhaps most of us.

Yeah FG is basically Robot Chicken but just animated instead of stop motion.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

no robot chicken is unwatchable

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Data Graham posted:

If it weren't for the Simpsons what would my mind be constantly making references to to this day? Super Friends?

Homestar Runner.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Duckman.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, Duckman deserved better.....

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I want the world where the Clerks cartoon took off instead of Family Guy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mantis42 posted:

no robot chicken is unwatchable

Hi Mr. Macfarlane, wasn't expecting to see you in the thread today.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Data Graham posted:

Spongebob.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, Duckman deserved better.....

So did Jason Alexander, honestly, he was so insanely talented, but unfortunately cursed by being in the most famous and successful TV show of the 90’s, and never got to ever go beyond George Costanza, despite trying a dozen times.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Homestar Runner.

this is already me

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A.o.D. posted:

Homestar Runner.

this. alot of my humor came from python, hosed up dark humor online and homestarrunner. homestarruner is the only internet thing from that era that has held up and is still funny.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL I just realized I watched the pilot of this show before COVID, I’ve been waiting for this for years and years! So excited!

yeah. i kinda fell in love with shows over covid. i think HB clicked for me after episode 2.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i kinda fell in love with shows over covid. i think HB clicked for me after episode 2.

Yeah, I didn't really like the pilot but for whatever reason I went back to HB and then watched the second episode. It still doesn't hit all the time but I can usually get a few good laughs out of a random episode now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I didn't really like the pilot but for whatever reason I went back to HB and then watched the second episode. It still doesn't hit all the time but I can usually get a few good laughs out of a random episode now.

The pilot is kind of rough, the biggest thing being that Moxxie is kind of an rear end in a top hat in the pilot and seems to basically hate Blitz. Episode 1 onward made him a much nicer character and is only kind of annoyed at Blitz having zero sense of personal space. He generally seems to respect Blitz as a boss.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 30, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Macaluso posted:

The pilot is kind of rough, the biggest thing being that Moxxie is kind of an rear end in a top hat in the pilot and seems to basically hate Blitz. Episode 1 onward made him a much nicer character and is only kind of annoyed at Blitz having zero sense of personal space. He generally seems to respect Blitz as a boss.

The pilot sucks poo poo in my opinion. Like It feels “course” for what the show ends up being, like everyone is too lovely I guess, which is its own choice probably would have made it blend into every other adult animation. I think one is a better pilot/sets the dynamics and 2 is where it finds itself. Yeah, the humor can be hit or miss still but it’s gotten funnier over time. But yeah they tone down moxxie and stolas a lot and make them actual characters and poo poo. Moxxie is my vibe. Lol

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 30, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
one of the things about the simpsons. Is that the people who wrote it espically the first season were genx ers and there are clear references to being a child in 1960s and 1970s like smelling the test because of the mimeographs copy method used chemicals the teachers smoking in the back ground watching sex ed on a loving film projector, the loving cold war with the exchange students.

Homer and marge in "the way we wuz"

South part was also rather topical because 7 days to air.

The daily show kinda killed the novelty of it by being having topical comedy every weekday.

Then you tube and twitter made it 24/7 irony all the time.

True sick gently caress would read the comedy artlices on sites like FARK and SOMETHINGAWFUL's front page....ITS A MYTH!

family guys od issue is the humor is juvenile, so you just need to be 15 and have watch tv from the 1970's and 1980's which isnt really possible.

also in regard to peter and hypnotism. I had lunch with a work crew and dude told me he saw hypnotist to help him stop smoking, lose weight and stop gambling....lol didnt work.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Simpsons made a lot of choices with how to present 90's childhood that I think were outdated and archaic even when it started. The Krusty the Klown show is a format that was already mostly dead by 1990.

I think at some point, enough writers had been churned through that most of them didn't really know what parts of the Simpsons were contemporary references, what were dated references, and what was just absurd jokes.

Ups_rail posted:

family guys od issue is the humor is juvenile, so you just need to be 15 and have watch tv from the 1970's and 1980's which isnt really possible.

Well, I sorta did because I grew up on VHS and my sister was a big fan of old movies, but that was a lot heavier on 60s. Most of the 80s movies and sitcoms were still a mystery to me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I've finished the newest season of Big Mouth, it continues to be a gross-out comedy with really good views on sexuality, relationships, and mental health. This season they covered asexuality in a way that was very informative and respectful, all the kids secretly watching behind their parent's backs are probably getting better sexual education from this show than they get in school, (which is a low bar to clear in America, but still).

I was totally prepared to hate the new baby hormone monster, but they ended up being alright even though I still don't really like their voice.

Mathew and Jay are the funniest things on the show, so it's kind of a bummer that the show has them break up at the end of the season for dumb reasons. Oh well, I guess it's realistic for middle school relationships to fall apart over nothing.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Biggest issue nowadays is that there's not really anything that isn't Zany as gently caress. Even the really good stuff is all about off the wall characters in crazy rear end situations. I have so many friends who obessively rewatch MTV's Downtown, Mission Hill, Clone High, Clerks, and Daria because they're tired of wink-wink rear end shows like Inside Job and Ricking Morty.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Weirdly enough the new Beavis and Butthead seems tame and grounded compared to modern day shows.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Bust Rodd posted:

So did Jason Alexander, honestly, he was so insanely talented, but unfortunately cursed by being in the most famous and successful TV show of the 90’s, and never got to ever go beyond George Costanza, despite trying a dozen times.

He starred in the LA production of The Producers opposite of Martin Short and from what little I've seen he's real good. Wish he did more stage stuff and obviously his voice over work is super good. I always like when he's in things

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nothing says grounded and not zany like Clone High

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Clone High, at the very least, put all of the main characters in high school and didn't make them do Independence Day parodies every third episode

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mutantIke posted:

Biggest issue nowadays is that there's not really anything that isn't Zany as gently caress. Even the really good stuff is all about off the wall characters in crazy rear end situations. I have so many friends who obessively rewatch MTV's Downtown, Mission Hill, Clone High, Clerks, and Daria because they're tired of wink-wink rear end shows like Inside Job and Ricking Morty.

And honestly, let’s throw one out there for Freakazoid!, which I am confident was an attempt by mainstream animators to create a series of little mutant Manchurian sleeper cell type weirdoes who would awaken later in life as cool weird adults. That show was silly but also cool and fun to watch as a young teen, long past when I was trying to outgrow silliness.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mutantIke posted:

Clone High, at the very least, put all of the main characters in high school and didn't make them do Independence Day parodies every third episode

Rick and Morty is good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Rick & Morty is the best it’s ever been this season, definitely still creative and fun and doing it’s own thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Rick & Morty is the best it’s ever been this season, definitely still creative and fun and doing it’s own thing.

I feel like the latest season have been a lot better then a bunch of the earlier stuff mainly because I got tired of 3 seasons of Beth and jerry marriage is poo poo.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

And honestly, let’s throw one out there for Freakazoid!, which I am confident was an attempt by mainstream animators to create a series of little mutant Manchurian sleeper cell type weirdoes who would awaken later in life as cool weird adults. That show was silly but also cool and fun to watch as a young teen, long past when I was trying to outgrow silliness.

Freakazoid I think suffered a bit from being a little ahead of its time. I remember watching it as a kid and kind of liking it, but also being confused a lot as well- and then as an adult I did some rewatches and found myself quick loving the hell out of how it just relishes in its own meta-weirdness.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Want to see something strange and mystical? :unsmigghh:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Freakazoid I think suffered a bit from being a little ahead of its time. I remember watching it as a kid and kind of liking it, but also being confused a lot as well- and then as an adult I did some rewatches and found myself quick loving the hell out of how it just relishes in its own meta-weirdness.

It's funny how much if you go back and look at Animaniacs how adult some of the humor is, by which I mean 'you would probably only get this if you were over thirty.' An entire segment devoted to a Goodfellas parody! The kids love Tommy DeVito! And even more randomly you'd get things like where the joke is two old ladies at the mall chasing the Warners to ask them if they like George Wendt. Cheers was also very big with the youth of the time. (I did actually watch Cheers at the time.) Then you had Freakazoid which was just full muzzle off. It's pretty amazing. It's where I learned the difference between getting a cut of the net and a cut of the gross. "Always ask for a piece of the gross. Not the net. The net is fantasy."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
"I want a can of hash and some coffee."

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 31, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While Freakazoid was very good, I think that the series never really knew what it was doing. The show had a lot of energy, but a lot of that energy ran out after the first season so they had to fall back on more traditional plots instead of just a flurry of gags. And then the network saw that its audience appeal was stronger outside their target demographic, and they gave up on it, while Steven Spielberg moved on and never looked back. I guess it was lucky that Animaniacs managed to more traditionally capture child audiences while going deep on very mature Hollywood references.

It wasn't exactly ahead of its time, since MTV had already gotten big on making animation targeted at teens and adults instead of kids, but it would be a long while before networks would embrace the idea of targeting teens without going all-in on mature angst and just having a broad appeal.

Also kind of behind its time, since in the heyday of theatrical shorts (which Steven Spielberg's cartoon projects really harkened to), cartoons weren't really specifically targeted at kids, and there were plenty of shorts that were mainly just references. It's just that later on when the concept of specific target demographics was developed people decided to shove cartoons and comics into "kid stuff". And the 90s cartoons that tried to take a lot of influence from the old theatrical shorts ended up very weird from not understanding that and doing a bunch of 40s adult jokes for 90s children.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLCH2DoMZo

They should have worked a Tiny Toon in here too. :allears:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Macaluso posted:

Rick and Morty is good

The newest season is enjoyable but so much of the show is just flagrant Dan Harmon masturbation (even literally now with all this incest stuff). Ohhhh Morty we're in a TV show, let's all talk about how freaking weird Die Hard is, hahaha. It was fun in Community when that poo poo was novel and there were actual actors performing the roles but after being the only adult animated show people talk about for 5 years it's wearing a bit thin. Barely a notch above Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
In 10 seconds Freakazoid provided a more valuable educational lesson than all other cartoons combined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHL91HQzhuc