Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think you're misremembering, because not only does it make fighting a lot of enemies and bosses easier, it's also the best way to bounce on the springy purple mushroom ball things, instead of trying to time your jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Organza Quiz posted:

This absolutely does not get used a lot later on, it's essentially a speedrunner technique that is only necessary in the extremely optional stupidly hard platforming challenge area. It's a useful technique for fighting some types of enemies but if you are doing it to get somewhere or do something you are sequence breaking.

There's definitely a part to use that normally to bounce off of some tall, invincible bugs that just move back and forth above a pit or spikes or something, isn't there?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
It's been a long time since I played it, but there's some ball-shaped bug enemies walking over water that basically only exist to be bounced off of and other sections where you go through spikey hallways and bounce off gigapedes to get an optional item or two. I'm not sure it's ever strictly required to beat the game, but it's definitely not some crazy obscure trick only speedrunners and completionists use. I know it's saved me a couple deaths when missing platforms and stuff too.

I wasn't sure about even mentioning it since I think everyone picks up on it after spending a while with the game, but the game also doesn't tutorialize much and I don't think it works on the thorns in greenpath at the start of the game, which could be misleading.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I replayed the game recently and you definitely need to pogo quite often in the late game, it's not at all a speedrunner technique and I'm sure the game points it out as something you should learn

E: I am 90% sure you need to do it to get through the white palace endgame level but this is not a "before I play" hint, it's a "I am at the end of the game and stuck on an advanced mechanic" hint

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 30, 2022

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Someone confirm but I believe pogo-ing resets your double jump/dash

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 30, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ok I'm misremembering that there's a couple of other places in the game where you can get optional collectibles by doing it, but you definitely don't need it to finish the game and I think it could discourage a new player if they think it's going to become an important necessary technique.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm kinda stuck but I'm assuming that it's very much worth it to save up for the key?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm kinda stuck but I'm assuming that it's very much worth it to save up for the key?

The key is useful but if you don't have the lantern yet get that instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Organza Quiz posted:

The key is useful but if you don't have the lantern yet get that instead.

Good to know, thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Ok I'm misremembering that there's a couple of other places in the game where you can get optional collectibles by doing it, but you definitely don't need it to finish the game and I think it could discourage a new player if they think it's going to become an important necessary technique.
Are you trying to tell me that you beat the Mantis Lords without ever pressing attack while in the air, but that “use sword while jumping” is an advanced technique to you? If so, you are an impressively patient person but I am mildly concerned about the state of your manual dexterity.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 31, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Are you trying to tell me that you beat the Mantis Lords without ever pressing attack while in the air, but that “use sword while jumping” is an advanced technique to you? If so, you are an impressively patient person but I am mildly concerned about the state of your manual dexterity.

There's a huge difference between attacking enemies in the air and traversing distances by timing multiple chained jump-downswings repeatedly in a very particular rhythm. I didn't realise this would be so controversial an opinion!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been a while but I remember pogoing to be pretty easy because the arc of your swing is fairly big (and can be made even bigger with a charm) so getting the timing right isn't all that hard. It's very generous in that regard.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Anything i should know going into Signalis? Any important stuff that can be missed? Currently in, uh, just got the shotgun I guess. Avoiding enemies when I can, especially the ones that don't notice me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Morpheus posted:

Anything i should know going into Signalis? Any important stuff that can be missed? Currently in, uh, just got the shotgun I guess. Avoiding enemies when I can, especially the ones that don't notice me.

I'm a few levels in and the biggest thing I can recommend is to use your shock sticks because you're going to find a lot of them. Also if you haven't had to use them yet remember that health packs heal over time, so don't use three at once expecting to go blue and overheal.

Mild mechanical spoiler level 1 Dead enemies don't stay dead

Level 2 you can find limited use items later that fix that.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Organza Quiz posted:

There's a huge difference between attacking enemies in the air and traversing distances by timing multiple chained jump-downswings repeatedly in a very particular rhythm. I didn't realise this would be so controversial an opinion!
There’s stuff like the coliseum of fools too.

Though this did jog my memory that when I played hollow knight on switch, it was also around the time when I’d decided to get a second controller with a d-pad for some of my 2-d games. The thumb sticks were noticeably less reliable about registering “down” rather than “down-forward”, which would send the sword swing in the wrong direction. Then I’d usually have the long nail as part of my default charm setup, which gives a bit more of a timing window.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm a few levels in and the biggest thing I can recommend is to use your shock sticks because you're going to find a lot of them. Also if you haven't had to use them yet remember that health packs heal over time, so don't use three at once expecting to go blue and overheal.

Mild mechanical spoiler level 1 Dead enemies don't stay dead

Goddamnit

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Goddamnit

Yeah you really want to be going around enemies as much as physically possible. Which is usually possible, you'd be surprised how deaf a lot of them are. Throw in their scream animation and you can sprint past them a lot of times if you can't just normally walk around them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

yook posted:

There’s stuff like the coliseum of fools too.

Though this did jog my memory that when I played hollow knight on switch, it was also around the time when I’d decided to get a second controller with a d-pad for some of my 2-d games. The thumb sticks were noticeably less reliable about registering “down” rather than “down-forward”, which would send the sword swing in the wrong direction. Then I’d usually have the long nail as part of my default charm setup, which gives a bit more of a timing window.

Sure but coliseum, especially the later ones, is a late game area. It just seemed strange to me to advise a newbie to learn to pogo as a thing they will need to know that gets used a ton in the game, but I guess it's possible I just never really paid much attention to it as a technique even in late game.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Organza Quiz posted:

Sure but coliseum, especially the later ones, is a late game area. It just seemed strange to me to advise a newbie to learn to pogo as a thing they will need to know that gets used a ton in the game, but I guess it's possible I just never really paid much attention to it as a technique even in late game.
I’m just saying it’s a thing he can do. Like the examples I had in mind were the round bugs walking over the acid water around greenpath, that it was handy for navigating around some city of tears rooftops, and there’s times it shows up as n ancient basin and deepnest. I dunno why you keep leaping to this extreme as if I’m saying he should do a Rocky training montage so he can be ready for the path of pain five minutes into the game. Most of the areas you can make use of it aren’t nearly as hard as that and it’s just a capability to be aware of so they have the tools to decide whether to take on those optional areas once they do encounter them.

It’s weird that you’re worried about scaring off a new player by mentioning it when you’re the only one trying to make it sound scary and difficult. You see a spike, you can downslash it to get a bounce. That’s it, that’s the whole thing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I think that’s enough discussion about a single mechanic, tbh. Just make a one sentence “downward strike on an enemy (and some spikes) while in the air will give you a bounce and reset double jump/dash” or something similar should be sufficient imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

Combine the health patches with repair sprays to make Spray+'s.

You'll see a revolver behind glass early on, just ignore it. The one you can actually get is later in the game.

Most enemies can simply be evaded, they're slow as hell and ammo is limited. Walk softly to sneak behind them, or just sprint by if you gotta.

It's only really worth putting down the Replikas (by choice I mean, not immediate survival) that're in the "hub" rooms leading off everywhere near your save room just for breathing space. And if you're gonna use a flare, those are the ones to burn.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Morpheus posted:

Always stuff key items into your box until you figure out what to use it on to save space for supplies you might find.

Passageways directly next to save points is usually a good place to burn enemies so they don't respawn.

You can exploit the infinite saves and just reload if you messed up, so save frequently.

You can fine adjust your aim by pushing the right stick forward and then slowly turning it until you get a lock on.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Since a new season of Deep Rock Galactic is coming out and its probably going on sale:

• Randoms in multiplayer are extremely chill and friendly to newbies, don't hesitate to join or host games
  • For solo play your robo buddy is extremely powerful, just ctrl+left click on anything you want it to mine/carry/shoot/illuminate
  • CTRL+Left click on minerals you can't reach, big baddies, mushROOOMS or anything else you think the team should know about
  • The 4 classes each have complimentary abilities that help each other out and make positive vibes
  • As Scout, always be lighting up new caverns with your flare gun and keep the area lit when there's a swarm attacking. Your grappling hook is excellent for getting to out of the way minerals and saving fallen (sometimes literally) dorfs.
  • Engineer throws up platforms for the Scout to get those hard to reach minerals and creates firing platforms/cover or just steps to scale vertical walls. Remember to keep reloading your turrets, they can really rack up some kills when placed well and stocked. An upgrade to platforms makes monsters try to avoid them, which you can use to control their pathing.
  • Gunner throws up ziplines for crossing caverns which double as aerial firing platforms. Always be shooting.
  • Driller is clutch for clearing sightlines and making holes but they can do so much more. If a buddy is downed and surrounded, dig a tunnel underneath their corpse to rez them in safety. Dig a tunnel straight towards the escape pod at the end of long missions so nobody gets lost in the maze. Get creative!
  • Hazard 4 and 5 are huge jumps in difficulty, beware. Haz 2 and 3 are standard, haz 1 is extremely casual
  • Don't stress about unlocks and season content, they all end up in the pool of random rewards you get when opening lost crates and packs - The DLCs are all cosmetics that don't end up in the random pools, basically just there if you want to throw a little money at the devs.
  • The endgame is getting overclocks - they change how weapons work substantially but its not damage tiers or poo poo like that, you don't need to grind to do higher difficulties
  • Some events require a key that you get after completing an assignment unlocked at level 25.
  • Rock and STONE!

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 1, 2022

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord just released on PS4. I put a bunch of hours into Warband but this game is different enough that my old strats don't work here.

I'm now a hundred man mercenary band with about 60k in the bank and a few workshops. Not sure which kingdom I want to throw in with yet. Any mid-game tips for success? Besieging castles and towns looks like it's a lot more in-depth than sending a bunch of huscarls up a single ladder. How do I start to pull together the numbers required to really accomplish stuff, begin a conquest for world domination, etc?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To emphasize, the standard move for material stuck in high walls is to have an engineer put a platform under it and have the scout zip up to that platform. Engineer can build a staircase up, but that combo is extremely strong.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fruits of the sea posted:

Since a new season of Deep Rock Galactic is coming out and its probably going on sale:

I'll add on:

• When you pay for an upgrade for a weapon, you never have to pay for it again. For example, two extremely common tier 1 upgrades are "More damage" and "More ammo". You can only use one at a time, but if you buy both you can switch between them whenever you're at the space rig. Don't be afraid to spend your money!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bloodcider posted:

Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord just released on PS4. I put a bunch of hours into Warband but this game is different enough that my old strats don't work here.

I'm now a hundred man mercenary band with about 60k in the bank and a few workshops. Not sure which kingdom I want to throw in with yet. Any mid-game tips for success? Besieging castles and towns looks like it's a lot more in-depth than sending a bunch of huscarls up a single ladder. How do I start to pull together the numbers required to really accomplish stuff, begin a conquest for world domination, etc?

You need to create additional parties led by your followers to get numbers higher. They will go around and recruit and train their own armies, and then you can call them to follow you. You can also form an Army when you're a vassal by spending influence (which is gained by doing things while a vassal) to call other lords to fight. It's similar to how the marshal in Warband would call people in, but this actually creates a single group that moves as one and shares food etc.

Also check your clan window and make sure you are assigning followers into roles within your party so that their skills are actually put to use. A strong steward as a quartermaster will increase your troop limit etc. You're really handicapping yourself by being a mercenary company and not a vassal, too. There is a lot kore involved with being a part of a kingdom now, and you'll need the support if you really want to get anything done.

Also think about getting caravans going, that's where the real money is.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 1, 2022

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling
- Berries put into the bank in the Ant Kingdom generate interest, compounding about every half hour of game time. Investing early and often is extremely worth your while.
- Crystal Berries are eventually spent at a secret shop. There are enough Crystal Berries in the game to buy everything in that shop, so don't worry about wasting them.
- The only missables attached to the Hard Mode medal are the achievements for defeating chapter bosses with it equipped. The medals Artis would have given you for defeating bosses and minibosses with it equipped are added to the traveling caravan's inventory, so you can purchase them that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

I think that’s enough discussion about a single mechanic, tbh. Just make a one sentence “downward strike on an enemy (and some spikes) while in the air will give you a bounce and reset double jump/dash” or something similar should be sufficient imo
The entry on the wiki actually already says exactly that!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything for Two Point Campus? It seems very similar to Two Point Hospital but it's just different enough that I'm afraid of making dumb/obvious mistakes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can I have an acct on the wiki?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Sonic Frontiers:

- The game doesn't describe the parry very well. You just have to hold down the bumpers and Sonic will parry the next attack that hits him, no timing required.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Sonic Frontiers:

- The game doesn't describe the parry very well. You just have to hold down the bumpers and Sonic will parry the next attack that hits him, no timing required.

Ah, so a "block" in any other game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Any tips for Thymesia? I'm a huge fan of Sekiro and I hear this game is similar to that style of gameplay.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah, so a "block" in any other game.

I have always loved parrying in games but I am increasingly of the opinion that we need a moratorium on it for a few years, this is getting out of control

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mescal posted:

Can I have an acct on the wiki?

Sent you a private message.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Potionomics

The End Turn button will always display the exact number of turns you will lose, if the customer is going to remove additional turns it will update to reflect that total. No maths required.

With Customer Requests, pay attention to not only the potion quality requested but the sensations needed (i.e. good taste, good looks). These are the minimum requirements.

If you need to buy ingredients to fulfill a customer request then you're likely to lose money on it, only taking requests from named characters in these cases is the best bet as completing it will increase your relationship with them.

Enchantments apply to existing potions as well as ingredients, potions brewed under the effects of an enchantment will not retain the bonuses.

Enchantments will not satisfy the requirements for a customer request.

You technically only need two good potions to win each competition, it's a best out of three situation.

You keep the potions you present in each competition.

You don't get to keep any of the prize money from a competition win. Don't take on dead relatives debt kids.

Two units of time will pass while you sleep, don't waste your fuel on knocking the timer down past that.

You can check your relationship levels in the Deck Builder screen.

Relationship levels 4 and 8 will grant you coupons for their respective business.

Gardening is well worth the investment once it becomes available.

Sending heroes out on quests is key, it's absolutely something to focus in order to unlock new ingredients.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

After some advice, I've decided to close the wiki contributor account that some of you might have access to.

I'll create a new account for each person who wants access.

If you only want to make a few edits remember that you can post about them here, or send an email to the address listed on the wiki homepage.

I'd prefer to make accounts only for people who want to regularly make changes, so it's easier to keep an eye on those changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
In Prey (the new one) you can press the sprint button to fly faster in space.