Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
East India Company gameplay tips.

https://youtu.be/wHguy4xHGSg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

For my first game, I decided on Belgium, as it was a good tutorial nation in Vicky 2.
Since early on, I was part of the British market. Sure it capped my great power rating, but I figured for my first game, I'd mostly concentrate on the economy side of things. And from that point of view, it was a great success: I had the 2nd highest GDP (highest per capita), highest SOL and more money that I knew what to do with. Politically, I became a parliamentary republic with universal (and women's) suffrage and a bunch of social reforms.
So, when around 1890 I noticed a proletarian uprising in the UK, I didn't intervene but figured a more progressive UK would be good. Well, the communists won but that kicked me out of the customs union, which completely kneecapped my economy.

(sure my GDP dropped over 50% and I'm losing a cool mil a day, but hey super cheap engines and electricity!)

I thought I could pull through it by temporarily switching to the less advanced manufacturing process and building/trading for what I lacked. But it's not so simple: due to lack of steamers, my ports aren't working; and switching to anchorage means insufficient infrastructure. Same deal for my railroads. So all my overseas provinces (Congo, Indonesia, Bahrain) are completely disconnected from the Belgian market, and can't trade with one another.

This is especially absurd in the Congo:
- Super expensive tools are hurting my coal mine in Ubangi-Shari

- Meanwhile, in neighboring Equateur, my tool factory can't make a profit because no-one is buying its production

I'm hosed and I think the only way out is to destroy enough factories/plantations until it fits my now much lower infrastructure rating, and slowly rebuild back. But that'd imply losing half a century of economic development.

In conclusion:
- for something you have no control over, getting kicked out of a customs union can be a game stopper
- even if they don't have access to the homeland, neighboring overseas provinces should be able to trade with one another (if only in a limited way)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Poking myself with a stick to stay awake while my Japanese island goes through a period of record breaking peace and growth because I can't be at war with anyone for ten years while destroying the shogunate.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Weasling Weasel posted:

Ok then, so far so buggy. Obviously it's going to be less profitable than in Hotland if wages are twice as high and we have no idea why that's set up, but if the projected profitability is broken, how do you measure expected outcome from buildings?

Broadly speaking? Look at the market and the buy/sell orders of the good in question, as well as the current price. If there's currently 300 buy orders and 200 sell orders, and your building makes 100 of the good per level, you can probably expand it once and make a decent bit of money. If the building makes 300 of the good per level, maybe hold off on building until you've stimulated demand. Generally building anything if the price is listed in gold coins on the interface as "very expensive" is likely to be profitable unless there's no supply of that good at all and even small amounts of supply can crash the price. Even a good being 10% more expensive than baseline can be profitable, especially if you're dealing with a large market where there's thousands of buy/sell orders and an expansion or two of a single factory will only be a drop in the bucket against that.

And again, don't worry about the wages, wages are dynamic and will change based on the situation on the building. If for instance you have a sudden glut of iron for whatever reason the high wages in iron mines will crater as buildings cut wages to maintain profitability and workers start leaving the building to find better wages elsewhere. Meanwhile if there's a terrible shortage of iron the mines will raise wages as high as they need to in order to suck in every last worker they can find to man the mines and wring every drop of profit they can out of them.

Mister Bates posted:

I have fought zero wars, engaged in no colonialism, done no diplomacy except to suck up to France, and barely even glance at the world map, so I feel like this isn't exactly the complete Vicky experience, but I am having fun.

Weeelll....keep in mind, you achieved all this by tying your economy to that of France's, and France's WAS expanding by wars, colonialism, and diplomacy. Your quiet complicity in such deeds is what powered your economy, whether you personally did an imperialism or not. A Victorian capitalism experience!

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

can someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this?

The fixed national expenses only add up to about 1.25m, how can I find out where that other 550k going?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I just had a bit of an "Oh drat!" moment.

So one of the constant issues with the arms industry specifically is that it suffers from a demand issue - in peacetime, demand is low and so is profitability and wages, but in times of war demand spikes and drives up the price to wacky levels, all of which makes it difficult to maintain a peacetime arms industry that can reliably feed your military when mobilizing. But there is a theoretical solution:

Sell arms to your enemies.

In peace, by having an efficient arms industry and exporting arms to your enemies, you can improve the profitability of your domestic arms industry while hopefully driving theirs out of business, leading them to become dependent on you. If they never actually go to war against you, well and good - you have a profitable arms industry. If they DO go to war against you, however, sure, you lose the trade routes with them - but now you gain the increased domestic demand from mobilization to make up for it. Meanwhile, THEY just had their arms supply cut out from under them, leading to shortfalls that could impact their actual military performance and making it easier to win wars against them.

Of course, there's always the risks of embargoes, and during the war they'll probably crash-build a suddenly profitable arms industry and may not be as willing to buy from you again after - but this is where it should be noted that treaty ports are a thing, and hey, if their military is collapsing from lack of supply that'd make it that much easier to enforce, wouldn't it...?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How do I filter the notifications in the bottom right and control what shows as a notification vs. a pop-up, a la EU4?

I set up some Trade agreements and only realized later they got canceled and I either didn’t get or didn’t see a notification, so want to change that to a pop up so I don’t miss it.

Another dumb question: how do I reassign a general to a different HQ? Apparently for naval invasions you need army and navy in the same HQ. And how do you move troops between generals in the same HQ? Again, for naval invasions, you have to no more army units than you have ships or else the naval invasion will autofail when it tries to land. I naively assumed it would just not take the extra guys, but no.

Liking the front system conceptually but it definitely needs some iteration on some of the mechanics.

Also enjoyed a Brazil game — turns out you’re the only one in SA with much of an army so it isn’t too hard to puppet and later annex everyone else. Early aggression pays off. Puppeting and annexing seems way more infamy efficient than conquering. Infamy seems a non factor as long as you stay under 100. It’s 1900 and I have almost all of SA (just a French colony left, and had to fight a world war to kick the Dutch and British and American colonies out) and most of CA. (Had most of SA by 1861).

Other things I’ve learned: I think the biggest trap is it’s incredibly easy to overbuild construction buildings. Definitely did that in my first few games.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 31, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Tomn posted:

I just had a bit of an "Oh drat!" moment.

So one of the constant issues with the arms industry specifically is that it suffers from a demand issue - in peacetime, demand is low and so is profitability and wages, but in times of war demand spikes and drives up the price to wacky levels, all of which makes it difficult to maintain a peacetime arms industry that can reliably feed your military when mobilizing. But there is a theoretical solution:

Sell arms to your enemies.

In peace, by having an efficient arms industry and exporting arms to your enemies, you can improve the profitability of your domestic arms industry while hopefully driving theirs out of business, leading them to become dependent on you. If they never actually go to war against you, well and good - you have a profitable arms industry. If they DO go to war against you, however, sure, you lose the trade routes with them - but now you gain the increased domestic demand from mobilization to make up for it. Meanwhile, THEY just had their arms supply cut out from under them, leading to shortfalls that could impact their actual military performance and making it easier to win wars against them.

Of course, there's always the risks of embargoes, and during the war they'll probably crash-build a suddenly profitable arms industry and may not be as willing to buy from you again after - but this is where it should be noted that treaty ports are a thing, and hey, if their military is collapsing from lack of supply that'd make it that much easier to enforce, wouldn't it...?

Ah, the Ankh-Morpork solution.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tomn posted:

Weeelll....keep in mind, you achieved all this by tying your economy to that of France's, and France's WAS expanding by wars, colonialism, and diplomacy. Your quiet complicity in such deeds is what powered your economy, whether you personally did an imperialism or not. A Victorian capitalism experience!

Yeah I am starting to feel kind of bad about it, I basically escaped direct French colonialism by becoming a French satellite state. Over 10% of the population is now French whites who have migrated back, and realistically I cannot imagine it would be as harmonious as it is, they're essentially re-settling the country they were expelled from in the slave revolt. I'm nominally independent and not technically a French satellite, and I have independent interests in the Caribbean and have been backing colonial revolts against Spain in Cuba and Puerto Rico, but I can't leave the customs union with France. Technically I could at any time, but if I do that, I lose free access to the French markets, I lose access to the gigantic French merchant navy which lets me export all my surplus to other markets, and my miracle economy instantly collapses.

It is still very funny that my share of the French market's tariffs is like double what the indemnity payments were; those direct cash payments alone have already more than paid back the money they extracted from me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1587095045143871489

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If you play the US. Do you have enough resources within your historical borders? How do you get rubber?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

finally got to a game stopping bug. one of my generals is perma-busy and since its one of the ones in my capital region i cant deploy my strongest and larges battallions.

apparently its linked to the river journals, console killing doesnt work either :(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kraftwerk posted:

If you play the US. Do you have enough resources within your historical borders? How do you get rubber?

You either buy it from the market or you do a colonialism. Theoretically additional patches will make the AI do a better job of developing oil/rubber in their states, so the market won't be quite as empty as it currently is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kraftwerk posted:

Everything the US lacks in can be acquired in central america, and most of it can be acquired by holding the carribean islands (you'll miss out on dye.)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

alcaras posted:

How do I filter the notifications in the bottom right and control what shows as a notification vs. a pop-up, a la EU4?

I set up some Trade agreements and only realized later they got canceled and I either didn’t get or didn’t see a notification, so want to change that to a pop up so I don’t miss it.

Another dumb question: how do I reassign a general to a different HQ? Apparently for naval invasions you need army and navy in the same HQ. And how do you move troops between generals in the same HQ? Again, for naval invasions, you have to no more army units than you have ships or else the naval invasion will autofail when it tries to land. I naively assumed it would just not take the extra guys, but no.

Liking the front system conceptually but it definitely needs some iteration on some of the mechanics.

Also enjoyed a Brazil game — turns out you’re the only one in SA with much of an army so it isn’t too hard to puppet and later annex everyone else. Early aggression pays off. Puppeting and annexing seems way more infamy efficient than conquering. Infamy seems a non factor as long as you stay under 100. It’s 1900 and I have almost all of SA (just a French colony left, and had to fight a world war to kick the Dutch and British and American colonies out) and most of CA. (Had most of SA by 1861).

Other things I’ve learned: I think the biggest trap is it’s incredibly easy to overbuild construction buildings. Definitely did that in my first few games.

You can't reassign generals - they're fixed to whatever HQ they're in. Note that this does seem to encourage establishing colonial forces, small standing forces and fleets in colonial areas that are good enough to knock over the locals and can respond to local events (especially setting up invasions) without having to move troops all the way from Europe/America.

As for how troops are assigned between generals, it's purely a matter of promotion weight - every general gets a share of all the troops in HQ, with how large their share is depending on the rank relative to the other generals in the HQ. So IE if you have two 5-star generals they split the troops in the HQ evenly between them, same as having two 1-star generals, but if you have a 3-star general and a 2-star general in the same HQ and not enough to fill both their command limits the 3-star general will get the lion's share.

Apropos of nothing, it's worth noting that if you have a monarchy it's possible to turn the king into a commander who automatically gets the Commander-In-Chief rank which sucks up the vast majority of troops in his HQ, and it's also worth noting that a successful commander who wins battles gains popularity which can also boost the attraction of an interest group if your king happens to be the leader. It also appears to be possible to remove your king as a commander without direct political effects. Something worth noting if your king is the leader of an interest group you either hate or want to promote - a landowner king leading your armies could potentially be making your political reforms trickier than they need to be.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Glad to see this. Legitimacy definitely lacks bite right now, a lot of the time you can kinda do whatever you want to enable any arbitrary law enactment.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
After conquering most parts of central Asia as Russia I ran out of opium again, guess it's time to invade Afghanistan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love having to spend a solid 10 min recruiting generals, leaving the screen to promote them, then going back to the hiring screen to see what other HQ's need generals. I don't know who thought this was a good system at all. Like why clump troops into HQ's at all? Why not pool them all and assign them automatically to any general with space? I end up having like 30 HQ's all with 5 to 90 troops and it's such a pain hiring and promoting everyone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Waifu Radia posted:

you have 20 years, which is honestly more time than you need

Education reform is important to do just to stay on pace, so go for that. Suppressing separatism.. uh? I have no idea how you can fail that reform.

So that leaves two - Syria is good to get back ASAP but you want to build a stable home front first, so spend your first decade consolidating.

I screwed up by going for bureaucracy for my other one - not because I think it’s a mistake, but it is tough to successfully do everything while pissing off your landowners already.

Gonna try again. What stopped me was reforming the government took so long, urbanizing took so long, it seemed impossible to build enough barracks for the army, and if I tried tor eclaim Syria every major power got involved and it turned into an hellwar.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sheep posted:

game/common/defines/00_defines.txt
code:
RODUCTION_BUILDING_OUTPUT_NEEDED_INDUSTRIAL_GOODS_FACTOR = 0.5 # Add this value to a building for each unit of money worth of industrial goods that are underproduced in the country and are used by buildings
Add P to the beginning.
code:
    HQ_DEFENSE_MIN_WANTED_LAND_GARRISON = 0.15                        # Keep at least this number of local troops to garrison important HQs against enemy invasion
Remove _LAND, should be HQ_DEFENSE_MIN_WANTED_GARRISON.
code:
 UNIFICATION_AGRESSION_MULT_HIGHER_TIR = 20 # AI aggression is multiplied by this for calculating whether they should try to start a unification/leadership play, if the country would end up forming a nation of a higher tier
 UNIFICATION_AGRESSION_MULT_SAME_TIER = 0.1 # AI aggression is multiplied by this for calculating whether they should try to start a unification/leadership play, if the country would end up forming a nation of the same tier
Fix AGRESSION to AGGRESSION.

There's also this one but I can't be arsed to open the file and figure out what the fix would be at the moment:
code:
Line 43: [08:10:32][defines.cpp:180]: Define 'BATTLE_PROVINCES_TAKEN_MAX_UNIT_RATIO_SCALE' defined in 'common/defines/00_defines.txt' not specified. Maybe a define macro is missing 

Thanks for this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone else find their auto-expand orders constantly canceled? Every year or so I have to go into the interface and turn them all back on again.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I haven't seen them be cancelled, but every time you build a new building it doesn't start with auto-expand so you have to go back and toggle it for all of them again and again.

Edit: Regarding legitimacy, I hope this also comes with a fix for parties winning but being too angry to be put in the government. And maybe also you shouldn't be able to put all your parties together in government for an easy 100 legitimacy.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 31, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fray posted:

Glad to see this. Legitimacy definitely lacks bite right now, a lot of the time you can kinda do whatever you want to enable any arbitrary law enactment.

It's also kinda silly that you can just ignore election results and still get pretty high legitimacy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It would be so nice to have a single button you could press or a toggle to automatically switch conquered province's buildings up to your standards. Having to constantly go in and change all your production methods every time you get someone's crappy buildings is such silly busywork.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a workshop mod that fixes the typos in defines.txt yet

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna try again. What stopped me was reforming the government took so long, urbanizing took so long, it seemed impossible to build enough barracks for the army, and if I tried tor eclaim Syria every major power got involved and it turned into an hellwar.

Make sure you're improving all major powers relationships from the start - especially Austria, UK, and Russia. Declare rivalry on Greece to get more influence.

Even just one on one, the war still seems hellwarish based off my experience.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

MonsieurChoc posted:

there's an event that fires when you start the diplo play for Syria, if you do the "beg the great powers for mercy" and have improved relations and gotten a trade agreement or something with them (not russia, though, you might just have to suck that front up), they'll usually at least be neutral. I THINK you could get Britain on your side, but I didn't bother. I did give up an obligation to them and France (which pissed them off when i didn't join their customs union) to get the trade agreement locked in though.

Urbanization is proobably doable but I don't think it'd be easier than education, and I feel like you don't have the Government Admin for both until you finish reforming the bureaucracy - this took me until 1851, but remember you have the whole 20 years.

This is what that much authority going into mid-game can get you cash-wise though.

Just, uh, ignore those radicals. I may have accidentally let SoL collapse by joining a war with Britain against Qing despite most of my grain coming from there....

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I had the opposite problem - no one would back Egypt, so they folded immediately - which means they only give up 1 of the 6 states needed and get a 5 year truce.

I do like the "Sick Man of Europe" stuff as the ottomans though - it's the kind of flavour the game needs more of.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I think a lot of the notable countries could do with journals or timed events to drive the player into risky or suboptimal behaviors.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Poking myself with a stick to stay awake while my Japanese island goes through a period of record breaking peace and growth because I can't be at war with anyone for ten years while destroying the shogunate.
That's ten cumulative years, not consecutive. Going to war will merely pause the progress bar not reset it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Waifu Radia posted:

there's an event that fires when you start the diplo play for Syria, if you do the "beg the great powers for mercy" and have improved relations and gotten a trade agreement or something with them (not russia, though, you might just have to suck that front up), they'll usually at least be neutral. I THINK you could get Britain on your side, but I didn't bother. I did give up an obligation to them and France (which pissed them off when i didn't join their customs union) to get the trade agreement locked in though.

Urbanization is proobably doable but I don't think it'd be easier than education, and I feel like you don't have the Government Admin for both until you finish reforming the bureaucracy - this took me until 1851, but remember you have the whole 20 years.

This is what that much authority going into mid-game can get you cash-wise though.

Just, uh, ignore those radicals. I may have accidentally let SoL collapse by joining a war with Britain against Qing despite most of my grain coming from there....

Oooh, nice. I was improving relations with my rebellious vassals instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Eiba posted:

That's ten cumulative years, not consecutive. Going to war will merely pause the progress bar not reset it.

True, but it I actually chased down the land that I am able to get then I'd probably be able to pass laws again sometime around 2060

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Stairmaster posted:

is there a workshop mod that fixes the typos in defines.txt yet

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882157097&searchtext=defines

the irony: the description of the fix has a typo itself, no idea if it's legit

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

After conquering most parts of central Asia as Russia I ran out of opium again, guess it's time to invade Afghanistan.

I can kind of see where they're going with the opium thing but having it as something you really need to secure a domestic supply of like rubber or oil feels really weird.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I can kind of see where they're going with the opium thing but having it as something you really need to secure a domestic supply of like rubber or oil feels really weird.
You can just... not give your troops medicine. In my Japan game I was mainly fighting technologically weaker enemies so I don't know what difference recovery rate would make against more equivalent armies.

If it was something you could usually import enough of that'd be one thing, but it seems pretty scarce in the world so you are pretty strongly incentivized to secure a domestic supply if you actually want to use it, which yeah, doesn't seem right.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont understand why the warfare system constantly sets up battles where my armies are outnumbered 2:1 despite having a front-wide advantage

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i dont understand why the warfare system constantly sets up battles where my armies are outnumbered 2:1 despite having a front-wide advantage

that might also be a bug, don't know what file it is in tho. someone mentioned it a few pages back

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A major source of opium demand is pops: if they want opium, they need it for their luxury needs. It's not just military.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Maybe the general's personality traits make them do these poor decisions? The Ferdinand Foch school of military tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lol apparently the reason France is so swole is that Pondicherry in India counts as a treaty port, so they get full access to British markets