Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Azhais posted:

On the topic of roboports on the circuit network, can you get building counts from the circuit?

i.e. could you determine how many total robots you have slots for in the roboports and limit production based on there simply being nowhere for a new bot to live?

You can't, but if you have good signal connectivity you could drop a blueprint with a roboport and a constant combinator with some signal = 1 so they all add up and see it that way guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

boo_radley posted:

I demand LESS Realistic Horse Anuses in my Factorio. I want them all to look like giant chocolate crullers. No I will not be implementing this myself.

I want you to know I installed stable diffusion for this and THE ABYSS STARED BACK

:nws: maybe? I actually have no loving idea. But it's weird. You've been warned.

https://i.imgur.com/E2C4PP4.png

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Arrath posted:

Be careful to only enable the sender on a positive signal. Using something like "less than x items" is a bad idea, because 0 is less than X, and you will accidentally send a 0 if the base runs out of power. Then you are blowing your base up with rods from God if there isn't sufficient storage capacity.

On that note, if you're using stack combinators (from the mod of the same name), they will stop outputting a signal if you have any power dip at all. This was the source of a bug in my train station circuits that took quite a long while to track down. The fix was easy, the mod includes an option to disable power usage entirely.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Q: What do you do with artillery in Nullius, given there's no biters to defend against?

A: Terraforming drones!

Even better than terraforming drones? Paving drones!

https://i.imgur.com/eZCykjO.mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Q: What do you do with artillery in Nullius, given there's no biters to defend against?

A: Terraforming drones!

Even better than terraforming drones? Paving drones!

https://i.imgur.com/eZCykjO.mp4

Well... this is certainly something I've never seen before.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

The Locator posted:

Well... this is certainly something I've never seen before.

It's insanely efficient in both logistics and player time. I've mulched 1.8M landfill into two chests of drones, and it's effortless to add city blocks literally anywhere. What used to take multiple construction steps spread over 20 minutes is done at once in 30 seconds. Nullius has some really good features for playing a megabase!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Going from the original bus base to ten blue belts of green circuits sure is a wacky thing. Now I just need to tap a few more mines and get red, then blue, then the module producer, then a few more raw materials... and I can finally get science scaling. :v:

How do you actually handle end goods in a megabase sense? Is it just a relocated version of the original mall with trains supplying the goods instead of belts and maybe a separate solar/accumulator setup on the side?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

End products are either science, which go to the labs, or buildings (incl. modules), which generally go to the logistics system (and maybe to builder trains or spidertrons depending on how you're expanding). I'm up to 2.3k SPM currently and I haven't moved my original mall (although I have added a few endgame products, and expanded the storage of everything), but I do have remote builds for solar panels/accumulators which both go to power expansion and space science.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Depending on how big you're dreaming, it's a good idea to setup a small base/outpost that just makes modules, beacons, and general building stuff like assembly machines and inserers. That way you're not draining your starter base resources making a billion green circuits for modules.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mailer posted:

Going from the original bus base to ten blue belts of green circuits sure is a wacky thing. Now I just need to tap a few more mines and get red, then blue, then the module producer, then a few more raw materials... and I can finally get science scaling. :v:

How do you actually handle end goods in a megabase sense? Is it just a relocated version of the original mall with trains supplying the goods instead of belts and maybe a separate solar/accumulator setup on the side?

The way I do my bases is after setting up the initial bootstrap I make tiers. In the outer tier, one rail network extends to infinity in one or two directions ingesting resources to smelters. Tier one makes all the basics, plates, gears, petrol, lube, etc, things that take 1 ingredient only. Once its through the smelters/processors (or pass throughs), it goes into the next tier rail network, which never crosses any other network, and goes either left to right or up and down, and it shuttles all the processed raw materials to production units which make all the intermediates, all my chips, acid, motors. This tier backfeeds itself quite often, as the rail trunk is moving green chips and a few other intermediaries all over the place. This will often also have logistic islands, like a cloud of 10,000 logistics bots over a unified green->red->blue chip production. It gets very spread out as every one of these blocks can be three or four train lengths apart. for dozens of chunks.

Finally all that goes into the third and final network, which is a dense mix of trains, blue belts, and logistic bots, which feeds the science, mall, rocket, and module production. Works great because the train networks never cross over each other and are layed out each with a specific throughput flow optimized.

Currently working my way through spaceX for the first time to see how it works there. It was a great organizing tool for angel-bobs-petrochem.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I'm not up to using crack-fueled bots to replace belts yet. Only have Mining 16 at the moment, so still (slowly) scaling towards science. I suspect stuff will get faster once I can mash that out and camp on my infinimines instead of needing to tap every deposit.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

All I want for Christmas is elevated rails.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

the switch release is out, for some reason

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Phobeste posted:

the switch release is out, for some reason

Nice! I might have to pick it up so I can factory on the go! Or is the port not very good?

I'm going to be running the biter mod game again in like an hour or two if I can find some more "volunteers".

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It doesn't have mod support, which is massively important for most people.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yes, come experience the Factorio equivalent of slamming your genitals in a door! I swear it'll be fun. We could really use at least 1 or 2 extra people to make sure we actually make positive progress.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How does it play with switch controls? It seems like controller would suck.

Envgard
Jan 22, 2015
I picked it up on switch and played 4 plus hours being home sick. Haven't played in a very long time and only ever got to the end of the game before they added rocket launching in so I'm relearning everything. Obviously not as precise as keyboard and it gets really wonky with what it wants to highlight for you. I turned off biter expansion because I didn't need the extra stress with controls.

Once I got the hang of the controls its been pretty smooth sailing. Only thing I haven't figured out is the toolbelt. They give you a ton of slots on different pages to add stuff in but honestly I've found it faster to just select everything from inventory. Mayeb theres an easier way to do it but i havent found it. Oh it also has touch control enabled so I've used that on occasion but it's not super accurate. One neat feature is highlighting something and hitting B to instantly select another one.

Handheld looks much better than TV mode but I've been flip-flopping between both. Long first load when you start it but no slowdown anywhere yet. I'm only on green science tech so we will see once I start adding more things.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
From what Wube said, UPS should be fine for normal games but it obviously won't perform at megabase scale.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Two things I found out today on accident. You can left click to restore something in a blueprint you cleared, and you can press F to pay respects mirror a blueprint.

How many hundreds of hours has this been around that I completely missed them?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Slickdrac posted:

Two things I found out today on accident. You can left click to restore something in a blueprint you cleared, and you can press F to pay respects mirror a blueprint.

G mirrors it the other direction.

My SE+K2 play-through stalled a bit when I realized I need to build a rocket to get back from another planet. I was planning on cargo podding back with enough to get requester chests researched but that only works in orbit.

Reading comprehension defeats me yet again ._.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slickdrac posted:

I've played this game off and on since 2014 and learned this week that you can press L to view the full contents of any logistics network you want. A couple months ago I also learned that these days you can connect inserters to a logistics network wirelessly if you just click the little wifi-like symbol in the upper right of their detail window. That last one was almost earth-shattering in it's incredible convenience.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Andohz posted:

G mirrors it the other direction.

My SE+K2 play-through stalled a bit when I realized I need to build a rocket to get back from another planet. I was planning on cargo podding back with enough to get requester chests researched but that only works in orbit.

Reading comprehension defeats me yet again ._.

If you don't care about your inventory, there's a respawn button that brings you back to Nauvis

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Tamba posted:

If you don't care about your inventory, there's a respawn button that brings you back to Nauvis

Hadn't thought of that but no, I brought enough and the planet has everything needed, it just means I have to spend a couple of hours more than I thought building the planet up before I finally get my god drat robots.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tiling Pyanodon pre-circuit mining array with no gaps and ash output

Smelting

Edit: Replaced with better pictures

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 30, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I swear I have a brain disease. "I left TONS of room between my iron stack and copper mine I won't have to squee... oh"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Small parts holy poo poo that took forever to lay out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

Small parts holy poo poo that took forever to lay out.

Thank you for your recent reminders not to play Py again. hehe

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Factorio mods are just an endless line of people where the first guy made everything take two more intermediates and everyone since then has been in an escalating "hold my beer" conflict.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Locator posted:

Thank you for your recent reminders not to play Py again. hehe

I intentionally tried to do as small and efficient a design as I could. That will produce enough small parts to last me through the early midgame at least and can just be tiled bigger. Py has some neat engineering challenges. It's just SO drat BIG.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

KillHour posted:

I intentionally tried to do as small and efficient a design as I could. That will produce enough small parts to last me through the early midgame at least and can just be tiled bigger. Py has some neat engineering challenges. It's just SO drat BIG.

Yeah, I have heard that it's better now than it used to be in the early game, but I definitely got to the point where I just walked away because there were so many roadblocks to automation (like 40+ hours into the game I was still handcrafting hundreds of items for the basic circuits needed to make anything at all).

I did read somewhere that this part of the mod has been reworked somewhat to make some of the super basic stuff not blocked behind like 100 different steps before you can automate it, but... nah. At least not yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mailer posted:

Factorio mods are just an endless line of people where the first guy made everything take two more intermediates and everyone since then has been in an escalating "hold my beer" conflict.

I started a new game of IR2 a few days ago and boy ain't that the truth. The mod does a lot of cool stuff but good lord there's so many intermediates that a basic copper (burner/steam) mining drill costs about 100 copper to build. Pipes are plates + rivets, and rivets are made out of metal rods.

Modpack's art and sound work are top notch and it does get better once you get your first couple assemblers. Also it has coal-powered personal construction bots/roboports super early on which is nice.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

[quote="Mailer" post="527372483"
[/quote]

Are there any mods that increase complexity by adding waste products? Uranium processing is I think the only occurrence of this now. It might be neat to have stuff like slag from ore processing, or scrap iron from gears or various other broken bits that can be reprocessed, stored, burned etc. Having multiple outputs would dramatically change a lot of builds.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Yeah. Pymods, which is what that poster is going through, does that - for instance it adds ash as waste of almost every recipe that burns things including smelters and boilers. Nullius has a lot of it, with whole researchable chains for managing the byproducts like chlorine. So does space exploration with scrap, contaminated scrap, thermofluid, bio fluid.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Krastorio as well. It’s pretty common in overhaul mods, I’d say.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The good: Space Exploration has unlimited mining pits

The bad: The more pits you use on a planet, the less effective they become

The ugly: Mining pit drills can't be affected by modules (or at least not at my current tech level)

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Count Roland posted:

Are there any mods that increase complexity by adding waste products? Uranium processing is I think the only occurrence of this now. It might be neat to have stuff like slag from ore processing, or scrap iron from gears or various other broken bits that can be reprocessed, stored, burned etc. Having multiple outputs would dramatically change a lot of builds.

Pretty much all of the big overhaul mods do, I think.

I've only done Angelbob's. It has waste products which can later be reprocessed, and it'll often have different tiers of recipe for the same thing, so that you can do a simple recipe that produces lots of waste or a complex recipe that produces little to no waste. Lower-tier ore processing and some industrial processes will produce plenty of slag and crushed stone (which can eventually be reprocessed into more ore), most chemical refining will produce various waste fluids that can be reprocessed to extract useful materials from, and so on.

Here's what mid-tier ore refining looks like in Angelbob's, for example:

Crushed raw ore comes in at the bottom and goes into ore washing plants, which convert crushed ore and purified water to washed raw ore, geodes, and different kinds of waste water.

The washed raw ore goes into ore sorting plants, which produce various usable metal ores like copper, iron, etc. Each type produces multiple output ores, which get sent upward to a splitter-based sorting system that sends each type of ore to a train stop to be hauled elsewhere for smelting. They also produce slag, which is split off for reprocessing.

The geodes get split off to an ore crusher, which turns them into crystal powder and crushed stone. The crystal powder goes off to the left and gets processed into crystal slurry. The crushed stone goes upward for reprocessing.

The crushed stone and slag both go into the liquefication plants at the top left, which use sulfuric acid to convert them into slag slurry, which then gets processed with purified water to convert it into mineral slurry and waste water. The crystal slurry from earlier also gets processed into mineral slurry somehow, and all that mineral slurry finally ends up in the crystallizers at the very top left, which convert it into more usable metal ores.

The various wastewaters go into those big white water treatment plants, which purify it to produce purified water and various chemicals. The purified water gets reused, since a lot of the above steps use it. The chemicals I'm mostly putting into dumps and storage for now, since I haven't gotten around to building out stuff to use that waste yet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Count Roland posted:

If you want waste products, you should give Nullius a try.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/nullius

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That all sounds very neat. Frankly, vanilla factorio is sufficiently complex/challenging for me already. I'll follow this thread and keep watching you guys do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I've been playing Nullius for a while, trying to crack Chemical Science, and it is real nice step up from vanilla/K2 in complexity without being incredibly painful. The basic idea is that you're teching up to seed a lifeless planet with biology, so there are no fossil fuel resources. Energy starts with a little salvaged solar and wind, which is intermittent, and dealing with that is the first challenge.

Some lessons I've learned under spoilers.

You'll want to be generating as little waste as possible, so if there is a recipe with fewer byproducts, use it. Water electrolysis is much better than saline electrolysis. Iron smelting 2 requires graphite but is substantially more efficient. Glass 2 actually produces in a reasonable time. Plastic 2 doesn't involve chlorine, etc. Dumping byproducts is inefficient, but there's always more space, energy, and time. Having a system that gets clogged and requires your attention to void is much more annoying than venting gases or dumping wastewater. Similarly, if a byproduct from a production system feeds into another production chain, you want to have a backup so you don't find out that your brick production has stalled because you're full up on iron.

The basic waste issue, at least for the early game, is sodium hydroxide vs chlorine vs mineral dust. You'll need some chlorine for the first plastic recipe and silicon, but sodium hydroxide is useless until you refine aluminum, and you need [/i]a lot[i] of aluminum. Mineral dust is the end stage of the stone-gravel-sand chain, and can be processed to sludge with acid. And then titanium takes a lot of chlorine. So it's probably best to figure out a solution which produces both sodium hydroxide and chlorine, and dumps the one that is in excess so your factory doesn't choke.

Wind + storage is one energy option, but I prefer solar thermal once you get it, and then moving on to Stirling engines and geothermal. Whatever you do, don't hook your hydrogen-oxygen storage battery into a production system.

The main bus is very wide if you choose to do one. You're not going to need multiple belts of iron or aluminum until fairly late in the game, but there's a lot of stuff that requires rubber, or glass, or alumina and aluminum carbine. And while you can just do it all with bots at some point, you should plan more space to move various intermediates around.