Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol the shitlibs out here in the KC metro running ads are all "we actually love cops more than republicans and we also hate china more"

one ad I saw was "my opponent says I want to defund the police. that's not true I actually want to give the police even more funding. why would he lie? because he sold land to his best friend Communist China"

i hope she loses lol (she will)

yeah as offended as i am at the garbage htey're trying to throw at us for an uncontested senate seat, it's hard to actually care since she's going to get so shellacked that only crying and swimming in her huge money vault will console her

either that or a walk in the woods, that seems to be what liberal garbage women do when they fail pathetically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The liberal polls have been wrong for the last like 10 years or w/e. Red wave coming.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah because obviously the other polls are real and these over here are wrong, nope nothing going on that would sink dem numbers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

In Training posted:

The liberal polls have been wrong for the last like 10 years or w/e. Red wave coming.

yeah, it was 2012 where the polls lined up just right for everyone to see obama beating romney easily way ahead of time, and people like karl rove and megyn kelly were refusing to believe election results that night because of their unskewing. they were just ahead of their time, who gave birth to the bill mitchells of 2016

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
As entertaining as the red waves polls are, Patty Murray got 54% of the vote in an open primary 2 months ago. Even if Smiley picked up all of the people voting for all of the Republicans, Libertarians, and other Democrats; she still would have lost. An actual election result like that brings the polling method into question more than her chances.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Leviathan Song posted:

As entertaining as the red waves polls are, Patty Murray got 54% of the vote in an open primary 2 months ago. Even if Smiley picked up all of the people voting for all of the Republicans, Libertarians, and other Democrats; she still would have lost. An actual election result like that brings the polling method into question more than her chances.

hear me out: no one cares about showing up to dumbass primary votes

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

ive never been polled so they’re fake

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

primary turnout this summer in NYC was 8% lol. 5% for the 2nd primary we had bc the state house couldn't finish gerrymandering districts in time for the first election deadline. Nobody votes for this crap

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

There was 40% turn out in Washington. The state mails you a ballot and a helpful pamphlet as long as you register; you don't even have to think about putting on pants to vote.

Weekly poll movements are bullshit. No one changes their opinion that fast. People just like bitching about the latest thing the guy they already hate did.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
to get polled you often need a connected landline which also means even more scam calls

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cranappleberry posted:

to get polled you often need a connected landline which also means even more scam calls

i only have a cell # and i get plenty of scam calls

i've gotten text surveys which i answered as incomprehensibly as possible but I get more now so maybe it's the same people answering polls

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

THS2 posted:

ive never been polled so they’re fake

i got one on my cell, poo poo took a solid hour lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

You don't actually have to "show up" in WA. You get a ballot in the mail and you can just toss it into the mailbox when you're done without any postage. I mean yeah, plenty of people still won't be bothered but it's about as low-effort as could be.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shear Modulus posted:

Did they embed bates?

Well, no, but

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Minecraft Holmes posted:

how long did the poll take

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mayor Dave posted:

Well, no, but

No Bates and no Ducklo? Who the gently caress is running this goddamn one-ring circus.

Who do I gotta blow to get some goddamned loving embedding?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

The liberal polls have been wrong for the last like 10 years or w/e

Correct. Same ones who had 99% Hillary saying Dems keep everything this year. Wonder why some bad actors here never acknowledge that

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
2016 was the one year where the polls were off by a polling error.

Polls have been pretty reliable over the years other than that one.

Also just lmbo that if we aren't parroting most of the doomsdayers in this thread that we're "bad actors." Cry me a fuckin river.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Also just lmbo that if we aren't parroting most of the doomsdayers in this thread that we're "bad actors." Cry me a fuckin river.

IIRC the national polls weren't even that far off from what the popular vote ended up being.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the demokkkrats are going to be destroyed in 8 days

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the demokkkrats are going to be destroyed in 8 days

8 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes.....12 seconds.... That is when the dems will lose.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You have one full week left before the Dems are destroyed, and then you have the rest of your life to make excuses for why it happened and actually wasn't fair

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

why is it “doomsdayers” to say the democrats are going to lose. are you a democrat or something

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

I got polled on my cell back in July, first and only time. My phone came up with Political Call and I was curious so I answered and it was a poll

2/10 would not answer for Political Caller again

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

polls werent just off in 2016 i think were off in 2020 as well

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i for one am glad the democrats will lose

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HallelujahLee posted:

polls werent just off in 2016 i think were off in 2020 as well

Unless I’m misremembering they were pretty accurate for trump/Brandon but they really overstated democrats on all the down ballot stuff

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Unless I’m misremembering they were pretty accurate for trump/Brandon but they really overstated democrats on all the down ballot stuff

yeah thats what i recall

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HashtagGirlboss posted:

they really overstated democrats on all the down ballot stuff

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The only doomsayers are the ones saying the democrats might not be destroyed

When in reality they are already destroyed they just don't know it yet

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

spacemang_spliff posted:

The only doomsayers are the ones saying the democrats might not be destroyed

When in reality they are already destroyed they just don't know it yet

the fist of the poll star in truly invincible

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They were wrong on both. A panel convened by the top trade association of pollsters determined 2020 was the biggest presidential miss in 40 years.

Here is the report

Here is some top-line stuff from the executive summary:

quote:

The 2020 polls featured polling error of an unusual magnitude: It was the highest in 40 years for the national
popular vote and the highest in at least 20 years for state-level estimates of the vote in presidential,
senatorial, and gubernatorial contests.
5 Among polls conducted in the final two weeks, the average error on
the margin in either direction was 4.5 points for national popular vote polls and 5.1 points for state-level
presidential polls.

● The polling error was much more likely to favor Biden over Trump. Among polls conducted in the last two
weeks before the election, the average signed error on the vote margin was too favorable for Biden by 3.9
percentage points in the national polls and by 4.3 percentage points in statewide presidential polls.

● The overstatement of the Democratic-Republican margin in polls was larger on average in senatorial and
gubernatorial races compared to the presidential contest
. For senatorial and gubernatorial races combined,
polls on average were 6.0 percentage points too favorable for Democratic candidates relative to the certified
vote margin. Within the same state, polling error was often larger in senatorial contests than the presidential
contest.

● Whether the candidates were running for president, senator, or governor, poll margins overall suggested that
Democratic candidates would do better and Republican candidates would do worse relative to the final
certified vote.

So if you're banking on "2020 polls were accurate, its fine, its not over-estimating Dems like 2016" you might be in for a rough time a week from tomorrow.

Or maybe they fixed it all. We'll see.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

fast cars loose anus posted:

They were wrong on both. A panel convened by the top trade association of pollsters determined 2020 was the biggest presidential miss in 40 years.

Here is the report

So if you're banking on "2020 polls were accurate, its fine, its not over-estimating Dems like 2016" you might be in for a rough time a week from tomorrow.

they haven't fixed anything is my guess

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

HallelujahLee posted:

yeah mine too but I've given up trying to predict things

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah mine too but I've given up trying to predict things

poll-heads should take this sentiment to heart for themselves and simply accept that the democrats will be destroyed, and if they somehow avoid this fate it was due to completely random luck

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Here is the report

Oh huh. I appreciate the correction. Lmao yeah unskewing polls is just always a bad look but especially in 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Also I didn't bold this part but if polls are overstating Dem senatorial/gubernatorial support by an average of 6% this year they are super-ultra-mega-doomed

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HallelujahLee posted:

I assume some of them have but here is my logic
1) nerds like to make their models right
2) nerds will fix their models
3) the new models don't look like the old models, or look like as much of a horse race, so they will be quietly shitcanned by the people who actually sign checks and write puff pieces

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

they are super-ultra-mega-doomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm not a doomsayer, I'm a demslayer