Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Gio posted:

Funny enough, the CDC still states that those who are vaccinated are less likely to spread disease.
To be fair this is true, but only around 50% or so less likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah there's a difference between reduction and complete prevention, which would make the vaccines miraculous.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Even the quotes dug up generally start with emphasis on disease reduction in the vaccinated, sometimes talks about breakthrough infections of the vaccinated (ie they still get sick despite being vaccinated) and end with the nice to have that vaccines likely or does reduce transmission a bit.

If the argument is that people out there didn't talk about disease reduction by getting vaccinated and instead based their exhortations to immunize on implying that covid vaccines are sterilizing then sure I am sure people can dig up quotes. Annoyingly people like to peddle white lies for a cause they believe in thinking it is a good thing.

To imply that it was intended that way from the start or that it is the primary message demonstrates selectivity bias in the messages you want to interpret as I absolutely did not get that impression from all the covid prevention media I consumed and used to do my job in maximising covid vaccination in my own workplace. We talked about taking the vaccine to set an example for gran and that them getting sick and dying could cost their family their only income, but never said that vaccinating Joe Schmoe the worker would protect his gran at home.

But maybe that demonstrates my own selectivity because from the earliest days it was apparent to me that a vaccine would likely (but not guaranteed) be able to be created (as was routine for other flu like illnesses although not often (at all?) for coronaviruses in particular) and that vaccines created would almost certainly not be sterilising (like flu like illness vaccines and unlike measles and small pox, because how natural immunity has behaved).

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It seems like the vaccine will soon be more risky than beneficial. Not to say it's especially risky to receive but more and more people are saying that it offers no protection for them

I think the efficacy rates obtained in a laboratory under optimal conditions just wont ever get replicated in real life

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just full blown anti-vax sentiment that the vaccine merely prevents hospitalizations, deaths, and long term therapy vs throwing some dice at ~natural immunity~ and maybe risking your life.

Christ.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MadJackal posted:

Just full blown anti-vax sentiment that the vaccine merely prevents hospitalizations, deaths, and long term therapy vs throwing some dice at ~natural immunity~ and maybe risking your life.

Christ.

Social media was a mistake

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Even the quotes dug up generally start with emphasis on disease reduction in the vaccinated, sometimes talks about breakthrough infections of the vaccinated (ie they still get sick despite being vaccinated) and end with the nice to have that vaccines likely or does reduce transmission a bit.

If the argument is that people out there didn't talk about disease reduction by getting vaccinated and instead based their exhortations to immunize on implying that covid vaccines are sterilizing then sure I am sure people can dig up quotes. Annoyingly people like to peddle white lies for a cause they believe in thinking it is a good thing.

To imply that it was intended that way from the start or that it is the primary message demonstrates selectivity bias in the messages you want to interpret as I absolutely did not get that impression from all the covid prevention media I consumed and used to do my job in maximising covid vaccination in my own workplace. We talked about taking the vaccine to set an example for gran and that them getting sick and dying could cost their family their only income, but never said that vaccinating Joe Schmoe the worker would protect his gran at home.

But maybe that demonstrates my own selectivity because from the earliest days it was apparent to me that a vaccine would likely (but not guaranteed) be able to be created (as was routine for other flu like illnesses although not often (at all?) for coronaviruses in particular) and that vaccines created would almost certainly not be sterilising (like flu like illness vaccines and unlike measles and small pox, because how natural immunity has behaved).

So messaging directly from the CDC, the CDC Director, and WHO stating that getting vaccinated reduces the spread of the disease is “selectivity bias” equivalent to you having bad vibes? And I didn’t “dig,” they’re the first Google results that popped up.

Gio fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 14, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At work the CEO has COVID for the second time, which means a few other coworkers must have it as well due to all the long meetings he holds.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Gio posted:

I can’t tell you how many times I heard family, friends, coworkers (and posts) etc. imply that the unvaccinated were the reason Delta surged.

Here in MI we were inundated with PSAs that emphasized vaccination was to protect your community, with testimonials from kids saying they were getting vaccinated to protect their grandparents.

The Pfizer vaccine (plus booster) was still very effective at preventing Delta infection. Infection rates among unvaccinated populations were about 10 times higher at the time.

You are right about the retconning, holy poo poo

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I know I've seen a lot of good mask recommendations in this thread.

My wife is looking for a well sealed mask to bike commute during wildfire smoke (bonus for comfort and breathability). We have KN95s for indoor covid concerns. But I thought I had seen suggestions in this thread about maybe N100 masks that are more comfortable and better sealed (although presumably one way with a valve?).

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

incogneato posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I know I've seen a lot of good mask recommendations in this thread.

My wife is looking for a well sealed mask to bike commute during wildfire smoke (bonus for comfort and breathability). We have KN95s for indoor covid concerns. But I thought I had seen suggestions in this thread about maybe N100 masks that are more comfortable and better sealed (although presumably one way with a valve?).

I was using 3M 9502+ Auras on my bike, which were getting destroyed on each ride. Then I switched to a 3M Quick Latch respirator, with 7093 (rainproof) or 2291 filters. Both those are pure P100 particle filters, you can also get 7093c or 2297 filters for some extra nuisance smell filtration. Those filters a bit harder to breathe through, though. Wildfire smoke smell is mostly caught by p100 filters, unless you're really close to the fire.

I've done 75 mile rides in it during wildfire days, couldn't smell the smoke while wearing the mask, but could smell it when we stopped for a break. The mask's quick latch is very easy to pop down to take a drink and then put back into place, even while wearing a helmet and cycling glasses. In general, it's been a big upgrade to the disposable masks I had been using, in terms of comfort, convenience, and athletic performance.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

jetz0r posted:

I was using 3M 9502+ Auras on my bike, which were getting destroyed on each ride. Then I switched to a 3M Quick Latch respirator, with 7093 (rainproof) or 2291 filters. Both those are pure P100 particle filters, you can also get 7093c or 2297 filters for some extra nuisance smell filtration. Those filters a bit harder to breathe through, though. Wildfire smoke smell is mostly caught by p100 filters, unless you're really close to the fire.

I've done 75 mile rides in it during wildfire days, couldn't smell the smoke while wearing the mask, but could smell it when we stopped for a break. The mask's quick latch is very easy to pop down to take a drink and then put back into place, even while wearing a helmet and cycling glasses. In general, it's been a big upgrade to the disposable masks I had been using, in terms of comfort, convenience, and athletic performance.

Perfect, thank you!

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
There's a new, fast-spreading variant of COVID called XBB in the news. It's been identified in 26 countries.

XBB is a combination of two Omicron subvariants, and allegedly has the highest immune escape rate yet. Current treatments like Evusheld may not work against it.

There is hope that the new bivalent booster will protect against severe illness caused by XBB. Wearing an N95 mask in public settings, especially indoor public settings, continues to be a good idea.

Here are some articles I found about XBB that are very recent, and not paywalled:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...ism/ar-AA13eego

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/ot...ays/ar-AA13cssk

https://www.yahoo.com/news/xbb-strain-covid-spot-symptoms-100000280.html

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
From your first article

quote:

So far, it's not even making a dent on the radar of US virus watchers, compared to other Omicrons. It's possible that the BA.5 subvariant, BQ.1.1., which is already on the rise in Europe, may turn out to be more of a concern for Americans than XBB ever will.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NoDamage posted:

To be fair this is true, but only around 50% or so less likely.

which, in fairness, is super good

just not enough to eradicate force covid back into its deer and other rodent reservoirs, where it is going to be endemic forever and ever amen

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

which, in fairness, is super good

I hope so. I really don’t look forward to catching this thing twice a year because no one wants to do anything else about mitigating spread while it keeps mutating and never letting us catch up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of my coworkers is on his second round of COVID but he's feeling okay so he's here at work, unmasked, attending meetings. People are joking with him about whether it's safe to be in a room with him, and then they do it anyway.

I don't understand people.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

We put in place a system where the guard at the front gate checks temp and if you look sick or have an elevated temperature, you are sent to the clinic for assessment and then home on sick leave whether you like it or not.

The Union is not very happy as they say that sick leave is to be used as the worker wants but we got the local labor regulator on board before enacting it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

We put in place a system where the guard at the front gate checks temp and if you look sick or have an elevated temperature, you are sent to the clinic for assessment and then home on sick leave whether you like it or not.

The Union is not very happy as they say that sick leave is to be used as the worker wants but we got the local labor regulator on board before enacting it.

Temperature is not an effective COVID screen, and we've known this for at least a year by now, if not more. Are they still obsessively wiping down surfaces, too?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

tagesschau posted:

Temperature is not an effective COVID screen, and we've known this for at least a year by now, if not more. Are they still obsessively wiping down surfaces, too?

It is not the only thing done and it is not only done to protect against covid. Reducing the number of sick people in the workplace is a good thing.
Done alongside things such as distance, hygiene, vaccinations, testing (we installed PCR labs in the site clinics), etc it helps maintain resilience.

Incidentally, this made me think about the deaths amongst my workmates since Covid we have had:
~ One malaria
~ One workplace accident
~ Two heart attacks (both were pre-existing conditions awaiting surgery deferred due to Covid travel restrictions).
~ A few motorbike accidents

To be fair, it is a young workforce by and large and great efforts were made to keep the older workers protected (kept away from the office, WFH even for front line work roles, etc).

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

It is not the only thing done and it is not only done to protect against covid. Reducing the number of sick people in the workplace is a good thing.
Done alongside things such as distance, hygiene, vaccinations, testing (we installed PCR labs in the site clinics), etc it helps maintain resilience.

Lucky you. My workplace no longer has any of the above, other than a half-hearted suggestion to wipe things down that you may have touched. At least they aren't actively encouraging people to come in while they've still got a good chance of being contagious. Not yet, anyway.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/ProfEmilyOster/status/1587032027307679744

Amazing engagement here, getting ratioed and roasted by both sides for the most insincere non-apology since the last time the Economist humbly admitted they were wrong about something (but for the right reasons).

I guess I haven't been following plague rats closely because I wasn't aware of this push for tribunals to prosecute everyone responsible for the illegal lockdowns, though I suppose that's a natural extension of the Whitmer kidnapping plot, etc. t's also interesting to see them try to reconcile the idea that Covid mitigation failed because a million+ people still died with the hypothesis that it was just a fake flu hoax.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfEmilyOster/status/1587032027307679744

Amazing engagement here, getting ratioed and roasted by both sides for the most insincere non-apology since the last time the Economist humbly admitted they were wrong about something (but for the right reasons).

I guess I haven't been following plague rats closely because I wasn't aware of this push for tribunals to prosecute everyone responsible for the illegal lockdowns, though I suppose that's a natural extension of the Whitmer kidnapping plot, etc. t's also interesting to see them try to reconcile the idea that Covid mitigation failed because a million+ people still died with the hypothesis that it was just a fake flu hoax.

I'm glad she's forgiving us for being wrong about *checks notes* reopening schools in fall 2020 in an event that precipitated the biggest wave of mass death in the pandemic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Novavax is running advertisements on social media, today, touting their product as stopping the spread of disease, building herd immunity, and protecting those who cannot themselves get vaccinated.

I’m not opposed to Novavax’s technology. I would have gotten a Novavax shot if the BA.5‐targeted mRNA shots were not available, but they are, so I did not. I do not, however, find this advertisement’s messaging to be persuasive.

The date displayed on the advertizement is of November 2021, but it was outdated even then.

I don’t know what the process looks like for approving pharmaceutical advertizements. It’s weird no matter how you look at it, given that the product itself was not authorized till July 2022.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Overview of FDA drug advertising authority. Note this is one of the areas FDA has historically been most embattled, as drug companies and in particular horrible deregulatory test case group the Washington Legal Foundation have repeatedly undermined FDA's ability to stop things like D2C advertising and offlabeling, with the combined results of a) a lot of people dying and suffering and b) the FDA's incredibly cautious about enforcement, because any case can become a devastating test case.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

tagesschau posted:

We still have a sign up at work saying not to eat diseased animal carcasses

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

slurm posted:

We still have a sign up at work saying not to eat diseased animal carcasses

Did... I miss where this was a thing?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I'm glad she's forgiving us for being wrong about *checks notes* reopening schools in fall 2020 in an event that precipitated the biggest wave of mass death in the pandemic.

She's not. It's a veiled threat that anyone supporting "LOCKDOWNS" (read: any public health measure) in the future already had their chance to be forgiven and didn't take it so it's open season on them. If you read it with the lens that she doesn't actually think she did anything other than make the best recommendations possible given the information she had at the time, then that language of offering forgiveness suddenly looks a lot more temporal and conditional. Even the word "amnesty" implies it.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 6, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Oldest Man posted:

She's not. It's a veiled threat that anyone supporting "LOCKDOWNS" (read: any public health measure) in the future already had their chance to be forgiven and didn't take it so it's open season on them. If you read it with the lens that she doesn't actually think she did anything other than make the best recommendations possible given the information she had at the time, then that language of offering forgiveness suddenly looks a lot more temporal and conditional. Even the word "amnesty" implies it.

you ever want to just quit your job and run for office just so you can destroy shitheads?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

killer_robot posted:

Did... I miss where this was a thing?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokie_(food)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paxlovid is a loving Goddamn wonder drug. I was on day 1 and feeling like pure dogshit, like barely able to walk around. Took paxlovid, a few hours go by, I get a funny metallic taste in my mouth and then I'm suddenly 70% better. I went from being in the fetal position on the couch to cooking dinner.

Also it makes weed twice as strong and last forever

Jows
May 8, 2002

When I had it I went to a treatment clinic to get paxlovid but they sold me on getting the monoclonal antibody treatment instead. Holy poo poo I felt like a million bucks after a day.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The monoclonals don't work anymore so don't do that again hah.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Paxlovid is a loving Goddamn wonder drug. I was on day 1 and feeling like pure dogshit, like barely able to walk around. Took paxlovid, a few hours go by, I get a funny metallic taste in my mouth and then I'm suddenly 70% better. I went from being in the fetal position on the couch to cooking dinner.

Also it makes weed twice as strong and last forever
I started taking it within 3 hours of a positive test.

I would have never known I had it once I started.

The taste is sure something else but I'd take that in a heartbeat.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Saros posted:

The monoclonals don't work anymore so don't do that again hah.

They still work but less well according to my transplant team. They don't recommend Evushield anymore but will give you something if you're infected.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/dec/16/first-thing-senate-rescinds-army-covid-vaccine-mandate

The senate just passed a spending bill which will also rescind the vaccine mandate for the army. Are we really at the point where we're giving up military preparedness because chuds have worked themselves up in fear from right wing media narratives?

Another source:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senate-passes-military-bill-lift-covid-vaccine-mandate-rcna62021

quote:

The Senate passed a massive military policy bill Thursday that would direct the Defense Department to lift a Covid vaccination mandate for service members and authorize $858 billion in defense spending.

The National Defense Authorization Act, the annual bill that authorizes Pentagon spending and policies, cleared the Senate in an 83-11 vote. Five Republicans and six Democrats opposed the measure.

It passed the House in a 350-80 vote last week.

The legislation now heads to President Joe Biden’s desk for his signature.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 16, 2022

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Do other vaccine mandates have to be passed by statute? I would imagine not; can't they rescind this and the army just goes "okay well we're saying you have to have the vaccine"?

is it because it was an emergency use authorization or whatever?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Riptor posted:

Do other vaccine mandates have to be passed by statute? I would imagine not; can't they rescind this and the army just goes "okay well we're saying you have to have the vaccine"?

is it because it was an emergency use authorization or whatever?

Its because recruiting numbers are in the toilet and they’re trying everything to get them up which includes letting antivax chuds in.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get the chuds to sign the contracts then reimplement the mandate. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Get the chuds to sign the contracts then reimplement the mandate. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Yeah I think they’ll be rather unpleasantly surprised to discover how many vaccines, including particularly nasty ones, you will still be mandated to get as an R Troop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Oracle posted:

Yeah I think they’ll be rather unpleasantly surprised to discover how many vaccines, including particularly nasty ones, you will still be mandated to get as an R Troop.

Right but that's what I'm asking. Did a separate law need to be passed for each of those? I can't imagine so