Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yup. Same results. Since I actually took some photos today, here's how the current one is going:

7 minutes later with fairly minimal interaction (maybe one brushful taken). I'd normally say that the palette itself is dry enough to be pulling water out of the paint, but the paint is also getting watery at the same time, not behaving like you'd expect it to if you were removing water content. Plus in prior attempts doing the same method I've had enough extra water in the palette that I had to be careful to keep the level below the paper line, just to make sure it was fully saturated, and it did the same "pulling the moisture out" at the same speed.

I'm just going to quickly check just in cse; you are definitely using baking paper/parchment paper and NOT wax paper, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SiKboy posted:

I'm just going to quickly check just in cse; you are definitely using baking paper/parchment paper and NOT wax paper, right?

Reynolds parchment paper. Used two different styles at different times, with the same results. If Reynolds actually waxes their paper and just doesn't disclose it then that's possibly the problem, but last time I looked at what was available they were the only ones in stock claiming to not be waxed. Can look again tomorrow when I have to go for groceries anyway.

e: also had the same issue with the paper that came with my Masterson palette.

vvvv I don't but I know people who do, so that may be a last resort fallback.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 31, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I used costco's kirkland brand and never had an issue with it, so if you have a costco membership maybe try there?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I mean, with a wet pallette theres really not a lot of moving parts to break. Either your sponge, paper, water or paint is hosed, theres really not a lot of other options.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Those pictures of the paint on the palette look totally normal to me. Mine do that a lot and are still very much useful. A wet palette just delays when stuff dries out, it's not going to make them everlasting

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Those pictures of the paint on the palette look totally normal to me. Mine do that a lot and are still very much useful. A wet palette just delays when stuff dries out, it's not going to make them everlasting

I think it may be this, or potentially a paint issue if it persists over multiple palettes

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, continuing to struggle a lot, but I have WIPs at least. The metal gets fixed tomorrow, not up for it tonight. Yes, I know they look like Decepticons, no, it wasn't intentional.

this is already up to the standards of my LGS, where even the Catalyst rep just does his mechs in 3 colors of contrast

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 1, 2022

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
If you think your wet pallet is makings you paints too wet, put down two layers of parchment paper. That said, much like Spanish, that looked fine.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I heard a tip for better basecoat coverage over black with lighter colours I haven't got around to testing. I wanted to put it somewhere before I forget. Mix white into your initial basecoat, then go again with the normal colour alone. This guy seems underrated as they don't paint hams, they stick to paint one page rules stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVyO0fO8MUk

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I painted an older Warmachine figure. Decided to do one for our trans friends out there. Ashlynn d'Elyse.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Varag Ghoul-Chewer and a DIY kitbashed Hakflem Skuttlespike, Blood Bowl star players.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

TotalHell posted:

I painted an older Warmachine figure. Decided to do one for our trans friends out there. Ashlynn d'Elyse.

Purple sword came out looking great!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Painting one of those sigmar dragons for a friend, wanted it to look like he just torched the ground (themed after the sleeping beauty dragon)

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Spooky post from the UnDead Game thread (HH):

Major Spag posted:

Flaming Hot Cheetos: Heresy edition

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Started working on some of this Terrain, which of course the instructions say oh yeah apply the base coat with your dry brush, so I'm doing that but yeah corex white is kind of junk, but the trade-off is right now I have it diluted so much that it's not being clumpy but because it's very transparent I'm having to apply a lot of these layers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Use literally any other white paint than corax white

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'd make a Ceramite White joke but I guess Corax White replaced it completely? I probably still have mine somewhere, last I opened it it was a tofu cube of pigment sitting in black water. Horrible paint. Appreciating ProAcryl Titanium White a lot more, even if it's still too thick for my needs so far (that's just going to take experimenting to solve).

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
None of my light citadel colors are a smooth consistency. White scar and corax are fully clumped up, but also colors like wraithbone, auric gold, and ionrach skin. Is there any way to fix this? I tried hitting them hard with the vortex mixer with no change. The liquid bits around the clumps do not get the job done either.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well, it has the benefit of using up my paint quickly because terrain

Bored Online posted:

None of my light citadel colors are a smooth consistency. White scar and corax are fully clumped up, but also colors like wraithbone, auric gold, and ionrach skin. Is there any way to fix this? I tried hitting them hard with the vortex mixer with no change. The liquid bits around the clumps do not get the job done either.

The only way I got it at all usable is putting it in a dropperbottle with two steel balls, and hitting that with the vortex mixer for at least a minute, upside down and right side up, while also using flow aid in the bottle itself as the thinning agent.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm halflings with swords and shields

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well, it has the benefit of using up my paint quickly because terrain

The only way I got it at all usable is putting it in a dropperbottle with two steel balls, and hitting that with the vortex mixer for at least a minute, upside down and right side up, while also using flow aid in the bottle itself as the thinning agent.

Another option is glass pearl beads. The benefit to them is that some steel ball brands suck and end up rusting in your paint over time.

I wouldn't use citadel anything for drybrushing terrain honestly, the cost/cover ratio is absurd. Better to get a few tubes of acrylics and then thin to your needs. This is the perfect area for craft paints as well.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I cannot wait to start printing things like this. All these 10mm posts fill my heart with joy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I wouldn't use citadel anything for drybrushing terrain honestly, the cost/cover ratio is absurd. Better to get a few tubes of acrylics and then thin to your needs. This is the perfect area for craft paints as well.

Right, I'd normally agree, but I do the Imperium magazine, and they give you paints, so I figure I may as well use them. Once I run out, I'll just replace the lineup with some better paint for that color.

I've tried giving them away, believe me.

it's not coming out terrible at least.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 2, 2022

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

The Demilich posted:

Latex house paint is really good for scenery. It's very cheap if you get it in the sampler sizes, you can have the guy behind the counter mix it into just about any shade you want - excluding neons - and it waters down with actual water if you want to fire it through an airbrush. I don't know how it would work for drybrushing; I haven't tried.

The only drawback with latex paint is that Home Depot - at least in my neck of the woods - only has the satin finish for samplers, which means that you have to hit it with a matte finish after you're done to kill the semi-gloss look.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lotta paint drama on Twitter today regarding the AP Speedpaints reactivation issue and a weird Spikey Bits hit piece

https://twitter.com/JhMiniatures/status/1587733951619145729?s=20&t=SMYZ1WYoQG4GotKa_iXvpA

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

These are rad. Nice job

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

Lotta paint drama on Twitter today regarding the AP Speedpaints reactivation issue and a weird Spikey Bits hit piece

https://twitter.com/JhMiniatures/status/1587733951619145729?s=20&t=SMYZ1WYoQG4GotKa_iXvpA

Thankfully Twitter won't be around much longer so we can just paint minis and have fun.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
"Reactivation is an 'invented' issue" my rear end, I've had Speedpaints reactivate on me after sitting for nearly two weeks, as I've mentioned previously ITT. Spikey Bits is full of poo poo.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I have some plastic Warhammer 40k terrain I'm about to paint. While I've painted a bunch of miniatures, this will be my first attempt at terrain. My goal is to make it a bit reminiscent of the vibes in the future war seen in the Terminator movies. Tons of dusts and skulls, and an overall sense of decay. Maybe even a muted color pallette, with prominent grey and maybe blue. I see Citadel have a box of skulls I can pick up and glue on it.
Any tips for how to make it look dusty and weathered? Or tips for colors and order of painting them?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Spikey Bits is full of poo poo.

But what else is new. :v:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

lol "speedpaint is meant to be put in a single color and for you to move on, it's not to perform complex paint schemes and techniques." We should all aspire to one day paint outrageously complex two colour minis. In good time, perhaps adding a third might be possible.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

In good time, perhaps adding a third might be possible.

tabletop standard? you fly too close to the sun here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao at spikey denying there’s any problem, haven’t AP themselves taken the feedback and criticism on the chin and promised to try again with speedpaints?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

lmao at spikey denying there’s any problem, haven’t AP themselves taken the feedback and criticism on the chin and promised to try again with speedpaints?

Yep.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

uncle blog posted:

I have some plastic Warhammer 40k terrain I'm about to paint. While I've painted a bunch of miniatures, this will be my first attempt at terrain. My goal is to make it a bit reminiscent of the vibes in the future war seen in the Terminator movies. Tons of dusts and skulls, and an overall sense of decay. Maybe even a muted color pallette, with prominent grey and maybe blue. I see Citadel have a box of skulls I can pick up and glue on it.
Any tips for how to make it look dusty and weathered? Or tips for colors and order of painting them?

Straight up dusting pigments after you're done painting works wonders. I bought a full colored chalk set for this purpose (just grind up what I need and dust it on), but you can pull nice dusty pigments from dollar store makeup palettes too. Fill up a brush, slap it around where you need, then apply pigment binder or a matte varnish.

One thing to consider is chipping. There are diy methods, but chipping medium is inexpensive and gives great results. You'll have to figure out your layers beforehand though.

And of course, spot applying washes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I only saw the one video that seemed to be talking about their regular acrylic line.

If they can fix the reactivation problem that would be great but speedpaints do their job better than citadel contrast by a large margin

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Right, I'd normally agree, but I do the Imperium magazine, and they give you paints, so I figure I may as well use them. Once I run out, I'll just replace the lineup with some better paint for that color.

I've tried giving them away, believe me.

it's not coming out terrible at least.

Ah gotcha. Yeah that looks good so far. What color palette are you going for for the terrain? I have an rear end load of terrain I haven't started on yet and am still trying to decide on a unifying theme so I can intermix it freely. I have a full backed Rampart kickstarter for the Eternal Cathedral and Cobalt Foundry sets, the Warcry 1st ed box, both Necromunda boxes, plus some other random stuff and it's overwhelming tbh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Ah gotcha. Yeah that looks good so far. What color palette are you going for for the terrain? I have an rear end load of terrain I haven't started on yet and am still trying to decide on a unifying theme so I can intermix it freely. I have a full backed Rampart kickstarter for the Eternal Cathedral and Cobalt Foundry sets, the Warcry 1st ed box, both Necromunda boxes, plus some other random stuff and it's overwhelming tbh.

I'm going for minimal thinking and just following the guide

I shouldn't have followed the guide for the base coating and just blew it through my airbrush instead.

I have another one of these building walls to do, so when I get done with this one, i'll do that instead.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I just learned the hard way that the only thing blue tack sticks better to than itself is hot glue holding the magnets in my bases.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm going for minimal thinking and just following the guide

I shouldn't have followed the guide for the base coating and just blew it through my airbrush instead.

I have another one of these building walls to do, so when I get done with this one, i'll do that instead.

Once you get to a certain point like this you won't need to follow the guide to the letter. This is part of the learning experience to get to a point when you can watch a video on a rust effect and say "well I don't have those AK colors but I have something like that brown and that orange but I don't have a good brick red so what if I mix brown into the orange?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Once you get to a certain point like this you won't need to follow the guide to the letter. This is part of the learning experience to get to a point when you can watch a video on a rust effect and say "well I don't have those AK colors but I have something like that brown and that orange but I don't have a good brick red so what if I mix brown into the orange?"

I'm sure I can wing it now, I just like someone telling me what to do :v:

This overall process is just basecoats>wash>highlights>specific details, really, and I'm already doing that on other models.

The plague marine I did earlier, I didn't look at a picture other than me going "well, I guess he's a green color armor"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 3, 2022