Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Make meteor armor and the space gun and kill both hands before you start on the head. If the hands are alive the head gets a huge defense bonu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

for more general advice, build an arena with at least two levels of platforms spaced apart as far as you can effortlessly reach. specter boots plus cloud in balloon should give you enough height to clear over skeletron and the dash from shield of cthulhu should give you enough horizontal speed to get over or under him without getting hit.

once you’ve killed the hands you want to circle around him constantly. the skulls he shoot out will home but it’s weak homing and as long as you’re constantly moving away from him in both axis’s you should easily avoid them. there’s a certain amount of finesse to it that is hard to convey through text but it’s mostly the same principle as circle strafing.

i assume you’re buffing up but make sure you’re not forgetting well fed or plenty satisfied. also campfires and heart lanterns are pretty painless to get but help a ton to mitigate chip damage. beast statues are a bit more annoying to get but if you’re really struggling it’s worth taking a trip through the desert or try fishing in an oasis for a while to get one. 5 free defense can really make a difference especially in pre-hardmode.

if you’re as prepared as you can be it’s unfortunately just about learning how to dodge the attacks which is frustrating because of how long you have to wait in between attempts but as daunting as it may seem it’s a surmountable challenge. and if all else fails, bees

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hadn't been using statues before, so I put in the bast, heart/mana lanterns and campfire. I mined out the roof of the dungeon entrance for mobility. Already have the meteor armor, space gun doesn't really do enough damage fast enough. I have a godly volcano, also not fast but does big damage and I can hit all 3 pieces. Also have a malaise, I believe thats what it is. The best I can craft right now anyway. I find it a bit tedious to control with how much the drat skeleton moves.

I guess I'm mainly not moving well enough because I can wear down the hands fairly quickly, but haven't been able to kill both yet to leave just the head. Try again now I guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

codo27 posted:

I hadn't been using statues before, so I put in the bast, heart/mana lanterns and campfire. I mined out the roof of the dungeon entrance for mobility. Already have the meteor armor, space gun doesn't really do enough damage fast enough. I have a godly volcano, also not fast but does big damage and I can hit all 3 pieces. Also have a malaise, I believe thats what it is. The best I can craft right now anyway. I find it a bit tedious to control with how much the drat skeleton moves.

I guess I'm mainly not moving well enough because I can wear down the hands fairly quickly, but haven't been able to kill both yet to leave just the head. Try again now I guess.

Do you have tiers of platforms set up? 3 layers of platforms spaced one jump’s distance above each other can really help with mobility since it lets you dodge in all four directions easily. Also don’t forget sunflowers buff your movespeed.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

With Skeletron, Ive found Jesters arrows quite useful, particularly if your arena is long enough. Skeletron will chase you, arms outstretched, and a Jesters arrow can usually catch 2, sometimes 3, hit boxes
I also recommend taking the time to get Terraspark Boots and a Bundle of Balloons, as they help immensely

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Moreau posted:

I also recommend taking the time to get Terraspark Boots and a Bundle of Balloons, as they help immensely

i don’t disagree with this but the counterpoint is that in the time it takes to get these you’d probably get enough attempts in to beat skeleton at least 3 times, statistically speaking

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Very true! It's certainly not necessary - though I do find I tend to take my time in pre-hardmode, before things all go to bollocks in hardmode.

I just defeated the Wall of Flesh in a master mode world, and almost the entirety of the surface jungle got converted to corruption. Ugggggh

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The spectre armor is broken. I can't believe it didn't have a damage nerf initially. Utterly crazy how hard my melee friend and I can tank and spank when I'm constantly dropping 500 damage boulder crits on things and healing 50-100 hp per shot.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Also, if mobility is an issue, make a Magiluminescence. 15% faster move speed and much improved acceleration. It was added in the Don't Starve update, didn't know about it til a recent playthrough when I found it in the crafting menu.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played this game in so long that none of this makes sense any more.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I managed to beat skull face, I was just being sucky with mobility. It was actually pretty easy on the last attempt, focusing on movement and distance, and not using melee. Did him in with shotgun+meteor shots. Now with night's edge everything is a breeze. Dungeon was so easy. Except I mined most of the spikes thinking I'd set up great traps for base defense but they can only hurt the player which is absolute trash.

Currently shafting out the edges of the corruption before I engage WoF. I dont think I've missed anything else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Having destroyed the dungeon spikes will be a nice convenience when you go through the dungeon later so it’s not wasted effort. If you want to make a trap for enemies a thin layer of lava will hurt enemies while also not destroying loot, so you can use that instead. You can also wear a lava-resistance accessory while fighting there and be immune to it yourself.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I did the lava thing on a previous playthrough years ago. I really like the idea of setting traps but I'm still disappointed I cant use the spikes. I dont believe I've ever forayed into the mechanic poo poo either, I might tinker with that and use some of the many dart traps I've collected.

I thought you still got the goblin army invasions after completing the first one? I haven't had one but have had several blood moons, and just had my second slime event as well. I want a goblin army again so I can use the battle potion and rake in some money. I'm up to 7 plat or something but you can really chew through it reforging, though that hardly seems worth it as well as you really need to get everything on the same theme to add a worthwhile bonus. 3-4% bonus to any stat isn't much on its own. Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

codo27 posted:

I did the lava thing on a previous playthrough years ago. I really like the idea of setting traps but I'm still disappointed I cant use the spikes. I dont believe I've ever forayed into the mechanic poo poo either, I might tinker with that and use some of the many dart traps I've collected.

I thought you still got the goblin army invasions after completing the first one? I haven't had one but have had several blood moons, and just had my second slime event as well. I want a goblin army again so I can use the battle potion and rake in some money. I'm up to 7 plat or something but you can really chew through it reforging, though that hardly seems worth it as well as you really need to get everything on the same theme to add a worthwhile bonus. 3-4% bonus to any stat isn't much on its own. Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

Goblin Invasions have a 1/60 chance to happen each day once you're in Hardmode. Blood Moons are 1/9 of happening on a given night (that isn't a new moon).

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
You can randomly get more goblin invasions, but they're pretty rare.

You can force a goblin invasion by killing Goblin Scouts and crafting the Tattered Cloth they drop into summoning items. But the scouts are pretty rare too.

I don't usually put much money into reforging until mid-to-late hardmode, since the progression is based around regularly dumping all your equipment for much better equipment, and it gets easier to farm money as you progress too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

codo27 posted:

Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

Pre-hardmode +crit is generally more valuable, as +dmg doesn't add nearly as much damage as being straight up more likely to crit, or just finding/making better weapons.

Dunno about the math post-hard mode, I'm sure there's a breakpoint where +dmg becomes more competitive.

There's also a slightly more tedious but totally free way to do reforges now with the Shimmering biome. Slight spoilers: If you throw in a combined accessory into Shimmering liquid, after a few seconds it will break apart into its components. You can pick them up again and recraft the combined accessory to reroll the modifier.

It's a little tedious but for more expensive things it can be worth doing to save a huge chunk of cash.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 31, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buddy hosted a server and I havent played in ages! Lets revisit Terraria!

Wait my copper sword hits for 1?

Holy poo poo that Zombie killed me in 3 hits?

:dogstare:

Master seems fun but god drat was that a shock

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

codo27 posted:

I managed to beat skull face, I was just being sucky with mobility. It was actually pretty easy on the last attempt, focusing on movement and distance, and not using melee. Did him in with shotgun+meteor shots. Now with night's edge everything is a breeze. Dungeon was so easy. Except I mined most of the spikes thinking I'd set up great traps for base defense but they can only hurt the player which is absolute trash.

Currently shafting out the edges of the corruption before I engage WoF. I dont think I've missed anything else.

Forgot what thread I was in for a minute, thought MGSV was sounding a lot different than I remembered after that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

codo27 posted:

I managed to beat skull face

:hellyeah:

ive said it before but master skeletron is a hell of a roadblock so congrats

codo27 posted:

Now that I think about it I ought to split it down the middle and do half my gear in +dmg and the other half +crit

yeah in order to maximize DPS this is the ideal spread. it gets a little more complicated if you’re going for swords because there’s a melee speed prefix as well and i haven’t done the math on that but it is more fun which matters a lot.

that said movement speed is a decent option and defense helps more that it seems it would

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I began reforging my equipment to that effect last night and burned through every cent I had very quickly.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Play journey mode and never worry about money again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mad Dragon posted:

Play journey mode and never worry about money again.

I play journey mode. I worry about money. Clearly I’m doing something wrong.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mayveena posted:

Duplicate expensive stuff > sell expensive stuff > research actual coins > duplicate coins

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Go sell a stack of 9999 gold bars.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Heck, it's easier than that.

Explore the surface world for a bit and find 2 Can Of Worms. (This should be fairly trivial unless your luck is really, really bad.) Journey-research it, then open a bunch. Each has a 5% chance of giving you a Gold Worm, which needs 3 to research.

They're worth 10 gold each, so a single Journey stack of 9999 will give you all the money even without researching and duplicating the coins. You can have infinite money before the Merchant shows up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wall of Flesh down! Took 3 tries, only dying really because of poor arena management. With enough runway, did it in easy with the night's edge. That thing comes in so handy too when trying to decide where to dig as you can swing and see if there are any preexisting gaps in the terrain. Helped a bunch when doing the railway.

Now just need to read up a bit because I'm not sure what order to do things in hardmode.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

codo27 posted:

Wall of Flesh down! Took 3 tries, only dying really because of poor arena management. With enough runway, did it in easy with the night's edge. That thing comes in so handy too when trying to decide where to dig as you can swing and see if there are any preexisting gaps in the terrain. Helped a bunch when doing the railway.

Now just need to read up a bit because I'm not sure what order to do things in hardmode.

Read the text on the hammer that dropped from WoF, that will strongly hint what you need to do next.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/motiontwin/status/1588184228662980608?s=20&t=B72mwUR-ar8t0BwO-kMdXA

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant express the sadness at witnessing the huge new areas of corruption after spending hours pre-WoF shafting out containment zones around the original biomes

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The things to remember about containment are 1) that a huge strip of corruption/crimson will slice through your world the moment you defeat the wall
2) that every altar you destroy causes corruption/crimson to appear randomly somewhere in your world, possibly in the middle of a contained biome

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I'm hesitating on smashing the altars even though I know I have to to get the good ore I'll need to craft poo poo that will let me survive. I'm still doing good damage, the breaker sword I got is godly, too bad its so slow. I may spend some time the weekend just hanging out in the corruption or somewhere else profitable and just kill poo poo to get enough money to reforge all my gear thats still lame with +movement speed and similar. Suppose I could sell some of the stuff I'm hoarding I'll never need but refuse to part with

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Wiki says that the chance of converting a block was removed in 1.4.4, so there should be no real reason not to just smash a bunch of them anymore.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Baron von Eevl posted:

2) that every altar you destroy causes corruption/crimson to appear randomly somewhere in your world, possibly in the middle of a contained biome

This was removed in Labor Of Love, as mentioned above. I remember it specifically because of seeing it in the patch notes and being genuinely surprised. I want to say they also removed any reason to smash more than three alters other than personal satisfaction, but I'd have to double check that one.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Just make sure to keep one altar around, for Purposes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Kit posted:

This was removed in Labor Of Love, as mentioned above. I remember it specifically because of seeing it in the patch notes and being genuinely surprised. I want to say they also removed any reason to smash more than three alters other than personal satisfaction, but I'd have to double check that one.
According to the wiki, it's still worth smashing the altars. Each set gives less ore than the last but there is no upper limit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I read you need to smash an additional 9 to get the same yield as the first 3

watho
Aug 2, 2013

diminishing returns is still returns! :pseudo:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

codo27 posted:

I cant express the sadness at witnessing the huge new areas of corruption after spending hours pre-WoF shafting out containment zones around the original biomes

Hate to say it now, but there's really no reason to do this pre-hardmode. The corruption barely spreads at all before hardmode.

Once you get into hardmode, you can dig way faster, and it doesn't take long to get the Clentaminator that can easily purify large areas.

codo27 posted:

I read you need to smash an additional 9 to get the same yield as the first 3

Yeah, but smashing more altars is easy and searching the entire world for the resulting ores is a pain in the rear end, so there's no reason not to smash a bunch of altars to reduce the amount of time you have to spend searching. The only other use for altars is as a crafting station, so as long as you leave one around, it's fine to go smash as many as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Shiny777 posted:

Wiki says that the chance of converting a block was removed in 1.4.4, so there should be no real reason not to just smash a bunch of them anymore.

this is extremely good to know, thanks