Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Honestly sounds like the forums a bit. I've been looking at it and it seems appealing. I don't follow technology that much but it feels like people are moving to more "federated" forms of social media anyways. I mean that in a loose sense and not in a strictly technical one. The downside is they don't scale easily because the architecture is confusing to most people, but they've been incubating for awhile and it makes me wonder.

The federated stuff is a non-starter for normal people. But if you're talking about social media like Discord and Snapchat that don't default to making everything you post visible to the whole world, then yeah. Those are not federated, they're still centralized services. But they have partitions between communities and between the inside and the rest of the internet. Discord has captured the next wave of extremely online people.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I also suspect that Twitter's death rattle is gonna start shaking when "creative" type people and "early adopters" will leave it for other sites. Or the kind of people who work in Silicon Valley and don't like Musk, not the people who treat Musk like Steve Jobs, that is mainly just hipsters, and with Musk it's terminally online crypto-bros and ancaps who believe "yeah he might run slave-driving companies but this is a necessity to filter for the right type of passionate people."

But then on the other hand, the decentralized and "free" internet has always been a dream that didn't pan out as the internet became consolidated by big corporations, and the crypto bros are only now realizing that crypto is in the stage of being consolidated. So I dunno. What do you think?

Centralization is power, power produces centralization. (And by power I don't just mean political/social/economic power. Also power in the sense of "conversion of energy into useful work". One big steam turbine produces more power than thousands of backyard generators, which are better than a million hamster wheels. One big social network website is more efficient to run & use than 500 little ones.)

Crypto-bros are a good example because despite setting up this supposedly ideal de-centralized system, as soon as anyone tried to do anything practical it immediately trended towards centralization. They imagined that decentralization away from the most obvious power (government) was all they needed. And what it proved was that removing the government just means you don't get the benefits of things the government is good at (stopping crime, fraud, and manipulation), while still having all the bad parts of economic centralization (manipulation, monopoly/oligopoly, and theft).

So IMO I doubt that Mastodon or whatever other decentralized / federated / open-source networks will ever be successful even if they were easier to set up and run. Rejecting centralized power entirely is extremely difficult to pull off, and not a winning move even if you succeed. Anyways all I want is a small fries and a frosty, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ironically the most successful mastodon deployments don't really participate in the federated aspect and just treat it as a turn-key way to launch a centralized twitter clone

and of course they mostly function as twitter offsites for content that's too mask-off or gross for twitter, otherwise they'd just use twitter

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah both gab and truthsocial started as mastodon nodes for white nationalists. i think truthsocial got in trouble for it initially because they just stole it without attribution and didn’t comply with the license requirements.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's obvious that the blue check charge has nothing to do with turning a profit, he is just trying to make it more exclusive without actually kicking people out directly, so all the random bluecheck personalities who aren't actually a "brand" using it for real business purposes stop paying and lose it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
most likely because elong is mad about random nobodies with inexplicable checks getting hacked and then the hackers changing their name to "EIon Musk" and spamming his extremely stupid followers with bitcoin-doubling scams.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

yeah both gab and truthsocial started as mastodon nodes for white nationalists. i think truthsocial got in trouble for it initially because they just stole it without attribution and didn’t comply with the license requirements.

also the largest instance by post-count is pawoo, who's specialty is allowing that kind of anime artwork

i think pawoo is technically federated but nearly every other instance blocks them for obvious reasons

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's like that Ronaldo statue but in 2D.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I too graduated from art university of 8 years. The fightin Octets!!

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Shove that motherfucker into the ground on Easter Island

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Is this the pirate or the turtle?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

It's like he wanted to draw Musk as Jesus but his only reference pic of Jesus was that italian painting some old lady messed up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

So in addition to now not posting on twitter, I'm gonna completely Not news around this guy.

I see no functional reason to even be giving this attention, there are several alternatives, and the spectacle here is an obvious pan-clanging circus of bullshit to keep it zombie-walking along.

To be fair: The alternatives are not very good. As bad as Twitter is, it does a better job than things like Mastadon and others.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

At Twitters scale, creating even the material for this - the marketing, the copy text, the legal, the visuals - and disseminating it to everyone (let's say just the blue check marks) takes 2 weeks in just logistics.

Engineering a solution - even if you already have a payment platform - still takes months to get live.

Trying to cut corners and you're bound to end up falling into a legal gray area at best.

So of course it makes sense musk would do this, look at Tesla.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Edwardly posted:

At Twitters scale, creating even the material for this - the marketing, the copy text, the legal, the visuals - and disseminating it to every blue check mark (let's say just the blue check marks) takes 2 weeks in just logistics.

Engineering a solution - even if you already have a payment platform - still takes months to get live.

Trying to cut corners and you're bound to end up falling into a legal gray area at best.

So of course it makes sense musk would do this, look at Tesla.

Yeah, remember Musk got fired from Paypal for thinking it was simple to migrate all of Paypal's stuff from Windows servers to Linux.

He knows just enough tech to be dangerous, and that's it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they already have the payment processor integrated and all the ui set up on different OSes for the lovely $5/mo sub that nobody uses because it doesn't do anything

this requested change is to bump the sub price and make it flip one extra flag in the db

You know, on reflection, while it does sound like the technical aspects of this change are probably mostly covered by existing functionality, It's still insane to expect that people begin working on implementing a brainfart immediately.
If I was them, I'd be demanding a very very specific and exact design doc with every tiny detail of the required outcome covered. You tell me exactly what you want and I'll work on it. No loving new daily stretch goals.

I've worked in private companies where idiots with no understanding how how things actually worked have the ear of the CEO and it always resulted in us having to work on bullshit projects that were 100% doomed to failure because they originated in hubris and ignorance.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A $20 subscription for a blue check mark is just high enough for normal people to never use it, and yet still low enough that a billionaire, company, or government entity wouldn't mind dropping $20,000 a month for a botnet of a thousand "verified" accounts that are "real" people. Even realler than the actual human beings on twitter.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Pookah posted:

If I was them, I'd be demanding a very very specific and exact design doc with every tiny detail of the required outcome covered. You tell me exactly what you want and I'll work on it. No loving new daily stretch goals.

Well, no, because that would take far too long. Elon knows what he wants, wasn't he clear enough? Just make the $20 blue stars.

And really make it pop this time

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pookah posted:

You know, on reflection, while it does sound like the technical aspects of this change are probably mostly covered by existing functionality, It's still insane to expect that people begin working on implementing a brainfart immediately.

Yeah this. Functional companies don't have the CEO yell to the world that the crazy idea he just came up with needs to be done by the end of the week or everyone is fired like some sort of over the top cartoon.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Almost Smart posted:

If nothing else, it will hopefully crush the perception of Elon Musk as some genius innovator and entrepreneur. Dude is coming off as some rich dipshit who stumbled into greater riches by coasting off the genius of others. His contributions to society are a poorly-designed tunnel, car door handles that trap the driver inside a fiery coffin when their not-auto autopilot drives them into the back of a truck, and whatever atrocity white supremacist Twitter is responsible for over the next six months.

I thought this poo poo was hyperbolic but I actually rode about a quarter mile in the back of a Model 3 recently. The door open mechanism is an electronic button and I didn't know where the emergency door release was. It's actually genuinely kinda scary not knowing how you're meant to exit a vehicle if poo poo goes bad.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

golden bubble posted:

A $20 subscription for a blue check mark is just high enough for normal people to never use it, and yet still low enough that a billionaire, company, or government entity wouldn't mind dropping $20,000 a month for a botnet of a thousand "verified" accounts that are "real" people. Even realler than the actual human beings on twitter.

Well yes, he wants to monetize the money going into conservative media from various billionaires for himself. Now super pacs will spend a lot of money registering Twitter accounts to make specific topics trend as though they're a real discourse. Or allow Russia to skip the whole step of having to register and hide 3rd party bots somewhere, now Putin will just simply pay for 10,000 blue accounts directly to Twitter.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah this. Functional companies don't have the CEO yell to the world that the crazy idea he just came up with needs to be done by the end of the week or everyone is fired like some sort of over the top cartoon.

But what if.. hear me out. What if we just install crypto miners on all the servers? What the gently caress is a kunernetting, just do it. You have 3 days!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pookah posted:

I've worked in private companies where idiots with no understanding how how things actually worked have the ear of the CEO and it always resulted in us having to work on bullshit projects that were 100% doomed to failure because they originated in hubris and ignorance.
This also happens outside of software BTW. The fun part is when said idiot starts blaming you/your team for the fundamentally impossible thing not working.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He dissolved the board. Dictator for life.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zugzwang posted:

This also happens outside of software BTW. The fun part is when said idiot starts blaming you/your team for the fundamentally impossible thing not working.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's an absolutely every field thing. All you need is a rich/influential person close to management, who knows nothing relevant but has Big Ideas.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, remember Musk got fired from Paypal for thinking it was simple to migrate all of Paypal's stuff from Windows servers to Linux.

I did not know this

this is exceptionally funny

it reminds me of the time my idiot ex-boss hired one of his rich friend's kids to be in our IT department. His first day, new guy walks up to me (engineering lead over the backend systems) and says, excitedly, "I'm going to upgrade all of your SVN repositories to git!!"

When I said "the hell you are", it looked like I had just run over his dog, but uh, it ain't just... that easy, new guy. For those not in programming, changing your source code repository into an entirely different technology is one of those things you bring people together to discuss, and it takes time, and if you gently caress it up, lmao

e. I should be clear, everything indicated that he was gonna do it, like, that day, not that he was coming to tell me he was put on some new project to do it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“I saw it in a tv show once, why can’t you do the same thing?!”

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

CommieGIR posted:

Other way around, Musk wanted to switch to Windows from the existing *nix infra. Cause he's a loving moron.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
lol, $240 a year for local Annie's Bagel Shop to post their menu for the week on Twitter.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Decon posted:

I thought this poo poo was hyperbolic but I actually rode about a quarter mile in the back of a Model 3 recently. The door open mechanism is an electronic button and I didn't know where the emergency door release was. It's actually genuinely kinda scary not knowing how you're meant to exit a vehicle if poo poo goes bad.

That's what the fire's for. No loose ends

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Everything about this subscription checkmark thing is so incredibly dumb.

Treating it as a pure vanity feature undercuts the one single positive thing twitter has had going for it so far.
Making your value-generating users pay more money while letting your value-consuming users off the hook is sure to go well.
Engineers are willing to tolerate mandatory OT in order to land something that has fallen behind. Requesting it as part of the initial planning of something will not go well. Maybe not at first, but soon enough.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

JehovahsWetness posted:

Other way around, Musk wanted to switch to Windows from the existing *nix infra. Cause he's a loving moron.

oh my loving god that's 10x worse lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Decon posted:

in some models the physical emergency release handle is hidden in the air vents, you have to pull the grates out to be able to see it.
very normal place to hide an emergency release, im sure the people sitting in a raging lithium fire will have plenty of opportunities to calmly consult the manual for the right secret trick

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Aramis posted:

Everything about this subscription checkmark thing is so incredibly dumb.

Treating it as a pure vanity feature undercuts the one single positive thing twitter has had going for it so far.
Making your value-generating users pay more money while letting your value-consuming users off the hook is sure to go well.
Engineers are willing to tolerate mandatory OT in order to land something that has fallen behind. Requesting it as part of the initial planning of something will not go well. Maybe not at first, but soon enough.

blue checkmark users and 'brands' bring 0 positive value to twitter or to social media in general

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Code Jockey posted:

it reminds me of the time my idiot ex-boss hired one of his rich friend's kids to be in our IT department. His first day, new guy walks up to me (engineering lead over the backend systems) and says, excitedly, "I'm going to upgrade all of your SVN repositories to git!!"

When I said "the hell you are", it looked like I had just run over his dog, but uh, it ain't just... that easy, new guy. For those not in programming, changing your source code repository into an entirely different technology is one of those things you bring people together to discuss, and it takes time, and if you gently caress it up, lmao

bobjr posted:

“I saw it in a tv show once, why can’t you do the same thing?!”
If there is one way to exponentially gently caress up IT across the board, a reality show about it would do the job.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Decon posted:

The model 3 doesn't even have an emergency rear door release at all.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1587094505202892800?s=46&t=_DUENjQt1iFS4iDitjOJaw

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also even if this works I can’t see this system making all that much money, nowhere near what he needs

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

blue checkmark users and 'brands' bring 0 positive value to twitter or to social media in general

I wouldn't dare suggest that all (or most of, or even a large portion of) blue checkmark users bring that value, but credible citizen journalism is the one silver lining of the platform. Having a means to protect them from impersonation is part of what made Twitter "useful" in that sphere.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Based Nate