Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Seriously? They had a gender reveal fire and then bitch about mudslides?

The people who started the fire are not the same people affected by the mudslides, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The mosh pit experience that I had which helped me was more on the victim side than the helping people side - when you go down, fall on your back and throw your arms UP and keep them there. No one can pick you up from all the way down on the floor, but they can grab an upraised arm, particularly if they get it on the way down. Next, don't pull at them to get back to your feet, use them as a stable base and your own core, back, shoulder, and leg muscles to get back to vertical. If you pull them off balance, now you're both down.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks, this reminded me to schedule next week's colonic

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol no. While mosh etiquette is admirable, these things aren't really applicable to these kinds of crowd crushes where the weight of thousands of panicked people is pushing against you and you don't know if that thing you just stepped on was someone's ankle or their throat.

It's not nearly as embarrassing as some dudes who think moshing experience makes them better fighters, but I wouldn't wade into a dense crowd like that expecting it would save my life.

EDIT: yeah, a big part of crowd surge mitigation is separating masses of people. Look at any giant music festival these days and you'll see barriers creating lanes through the crowd - that's not just so FOH can run their cable snakes to the stage, it's also so security can help relieve pressure.

yeah moshpit experience helps in a pit only, pits are almost always less dense than a standing crowd since they've always got people moving around a bunch, it's a very different thing.

I've been in a (very mild) crowd crush, going through a bottlenecked passage between two stages at a venue, the soundsystem at one had just cooked itself & a bunch of people were heading to another stage all at once, everyone was walking calmly, then it backed up fast

the pushing from the people behind me became a constant pressure, it feels almost exactly how a strong current in a river does, then it was coming from every direction, near-equally.

i got carried along with everyone around me about 20' to my side before the pressure released enough for my feet to fully reach ground. i had absolutely zero control over any of it, and the entire thing couldn't have taken more than 10 seconds from start to finish

when it happened it was like being buried to my neck in sand or wrapped in a carpet, my arms were pinned to my sides. someone nearby was screaming that she couldn't breathe, and some other people simply screaming

if you feel yourself getting pressed into other people, then being pushed back just as hard, and most people are facing in the same direction, there is a crowd crush event happening. Not necessarily a harmful one, but the harmful ones will always ramp up from that.

That wavepool motion is the only warning sign from a ground-floor view. it's hard to see if you're in it, since you're moving too

it doesn't matter if it's 1 second or 10 seconds in between, it can change with the venue size and your location. if you can feel it, you're contributing to it. Don't ever push back against it, that feeling is people trying to breathe, and it's uncomfortable even when it's not dangerous

If you can move, go with the movement in the direction it's pushing you until it's not, like the poster who linked the example vid said.

if you can't move, if you can manage brace your hands against your hips, it can protect your diaphragm from getting compressed so you can still breathe. don't cross your arms over your chest or stomach, it makes you take up more space and can get pushed into your body and suffocate you.
if you have to step on someone to get out, you don't have to press hard because you're almost weightless anyways, but trying to stop or pull your legs up can bring people around you down on them

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 31, 2022

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0JFIHet.mp4

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Avenue 5 has gone pretty heavy on the eels as a character this season. Thank god they didn't make the visuals as horrifying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There was a crooked man who lived in a crooked house
Inside the crooked kitchen there hid a crooked mouse
On top the crooked stovetop there fried some crooked eggs
The crooked cupboard is hard to reach when standing on crooked legs

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Doing mouth to mouth is a wasted effort, it reduces chest compression effectiveness and most people can't do it properly. Those plastic face shields are terrible and rarely work.

Compression only is the best.

B-Rock452 posted:

CPR is all well and good but according to North American rescue, should not have been done by rescuers there.

Yep pretty much, in an MCI you leave the people requiring CPR as lost causes.

Triage sieve is simple and fast.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I trained to be an EMT but ended up working as a courier because delivering garment bags and architectural rolls paid more than delivering people who needed urgent medical care, and it had a fraction of the liability. It's a hosed up system the US has

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

US health system is so hosed I'm surprised there aren't mercenary ambulance crews fighting each other on the roads yet.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kit Walker posted:

I trained to be an EMT but ended up working as a courier because delivering garment bags and architectural rolls paid more than delivering people who needed urgent medical care, and it had a fraction of the liability. It's a hosed up system the US has

my CPR card lives at work, for all intents and purposes I only know CPR 8 hours a day Sunday-Thursday night.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This video syncs up alarmingly well with Powerhouse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some more terrible infrastructure stuff, a pedestrian bridge collapsed in India yesterday, killing at least 140 people :(

quote:

At least 141 people died when a pedestrian suspension bridge collapsed in India's western state of Gujarat.

A local official said most of those who had died were women, children or elderly. The bridge in Morbi had been reopened just a week ago after repairs.

There was overcrowding on the bridge at the time as people celebrated the Diwali festival, officials said.

The 230m (754ft) bridge on the Machchu river was built during British rule in the 19th Century.
Of course it's the Brits' fault.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63445154 There's a pretty distressing video of people trapped on the partially collapsed bridge.

In better news, footage of your mom's new personal massager being tested:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GraveDenseFinwhale-mobile.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Some more terrible infrastructure stuff, a pedestrian bridge collapsed in India yesterday, killing at least 140 people :(

Of course it's the Brits' fault.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63445154 There's a pretty distressing video of people trapped on the partially collapsed bridge.

"The bridge in Morbi had been reopened just a week ago after repairs." Jesus, did they just have a bunch of parts leftover and went "Eh, I'm sure those are just spare bridge parts"?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Cthulu Carl posted:

"The bridge in Morbi had been reopened just a week ago after repairs." Jesus, did they just have a bunch of parts leftover and went "Eh, I'm sure those are just spare bridge parts"?

They're dialing it in

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkkexaGONj1qigfjt.mp4

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Been more than once going up a ramp that exact scenario had me worried.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

eel meat is good but I'm personally not into the flavor, it's got a great texture though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

GD_American posted:

Been more than once going up a ramp that exact scenario had me worried.

A shame that isn't a mobility scooter because gramps is definitely gonna need one now

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

This is why the fancy prebuilt ones come with a strap to attach the ramp to the vehicle. Also why the guys at Lowe's are supposed to push it up by hand instead of driving it up.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
So I work in a really old building (1800's I think). They moved some bookshelves around in a room and revealed an ornate, very well done Trompe-l'œil door. Why its there I cant imagine. I'm tempted to paint "FIRE EXIT" on it and see the inspector's reaction.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/wellerstein/status/1587091706025058306
https://twitter.com/wellerstein/status/1587091710961754112

the pistol is probably just as OSHA as the nuke

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm completely against unpaid internships but getting a loaded gun and a loaded nuke would make me reconsider.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most heavily armed man in the world, in possession of two gun-type devices

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Instead of the heimlich could I use an air compressor to force the food through?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Instead of the heimlich could I use an air compressor to force the food through?

Keep your inflation fetish out of the OSHA thread!

Also, name/post.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Push El Burrito posted:

I think standard practice in that approach is a captive bolt stunner. Pops right out and the patient won't have as much gas after.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare: sound on
https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1586851910878957574

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always knew this was a winning strategy. Now some F1 cars just need to blow through the dirt of an S turn at 200 MPH.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

lmao that's cool as gently caress

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Kibayasu posted:

I always knew this was a winning strategy. Now some F1 cars just need to blow through the dirt of an S turn at 200 MPH.

The FIA has these things called "rules against corner-cutting" unfortunately.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

haveblue posted:

The most heavily armed man in the world, in possession of two gun-type devices

:goonsay: The suitcase nuke was actually an implosion-type weapon.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So what's happening? Is he rubbing the wall? How does this make him faster?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Normally the cars slow down so they don't hit the wall.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's also a trick you could do only once per race.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Holy poo poo, I think I found my NASCAR spirit animal

So awesome

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

It's also a trick you could do only once per race.

Takes damage to save time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Pushing up against the wall means that the wall is pushing back. This prevents centrifugal force from moving him to the right, so he can go a lot faster and rely on the wall holding the car onto the correct course so he doesn't skid out. He probably destroyed the right half of his car doing that, but it let him take the turn much faster than the cars that have to worry about maintaining tire grip against lateral forces.

He's also very, very lucky that the wall didn't have a discontinuity anywhere

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Takes damage to save time.

Its called the frame perfect corner rub.

Not because you need to do it at all precisely but because you better hope the frame of that wall is perfect.