Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So what's happening? Is he rubbing the wall? How does this make him faster?
Doesn't need to slow down to avoid hitting the wall if he's already in contact. So he starts rubbing the wall, then floors it even harder than usual, and since the wall is curved, it carries him along just fine.

I could be completely wrong, I'm not very good at physics, but it sounds right and that's all that really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So what's happening? Is he rubbing the wall? How does this make him faster?

The car is electric, rubbing against the wall produces enough static to give the car enough voltage to overtake the other cars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Its called the frame perfect corner rub.

Not because you need to do it at all precisely but because you better hope the frame of that wall is perfect.

It would have only taken half a wheel turn to make the movement too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Chastain's lap was also the fastest lap on record at Martinsville for a stock car.

quote:

However it did, it made for the fastest lap a stock car has ever run at Martinsville Speedway, which is celebrating its 75th anniversary. The track record was 18.954 seconds. Chastain’s final lap was 18.845 seconds.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/1...-chase-briscoe/

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I imagine your steering wheel control has to be perfect too, because if you angle your wheels the wrong way for a moment, whoops now you're spinning out (and only that if you're lucky)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Note that lap speed includes solo qualifying laps. He had the fastest lap ever in the middle of a race because he just opened the throttle and let the wall take him to glory.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I imagine your steering wheel control has to be perfect too, because if you angle your wheels the wrong way for a moment, whoops now you're spinning out (and only that if you're lucky)

He let go of the wheel. He wasn't steering at all. He just had the gas to the floor. Physical forces kept him against the wall in the turn.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Honestly I can't wait to see what this does to the sport. You know at least a couple other drivers are gonna try this, and if it stays legal, this might become a new strategy, and an entire new meta could develop around using the wall like a slingshot without crashing into anyone else.

But probably will (and should tbh) get banned for safety reasons

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

He let go of the wheel. He wasn't steering at all. He just had the gas to the floor. Physical forces kept him against the wall in the turn.
lmao god drat

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Real talk doing that should probably be banned because the wall is to protect people and even NASCAR fans deserve that.

He let go of the steering wheel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Honestly I can't wait to see what this does to the sport. You know at least a couple other drivers are gonna try this, and if it stays legal, this might become a new strategy, and an entire new meta could develop around using the wall like a slingshot without crashing into anyone else.

e:

lmao god drat

Yeah, it was nuts. And it will likely be banned and never seen again because it is hilariously dangerous and unsafe. We got some amazing content from it, though.

https://twitter.com/kensethfan17_20/status/1586835940105920512

e: he passes so many cars. It's crazy how well it worked out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They should absolutely ban that immediately, but it was super awesome that one time

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Oh yeah, no loving doubt. After Earnhardt they ain't taking any chances on the wall.

quote:

e:

lmao god drat
Centripetal force, baby! Doesn't just work in one direction!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

They should absolutely ban that immediately, but it was super awesome that one time

No they should build walls designed to do this safely

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

mobby_6kl posted:

Those walls are about as safe as they're going to get unless they're made taller. Nascar went hard into impact absorption walls after Dale Sr. died.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
It's called SAFER barrier if you want to read about it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_barrier

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

:goonsay: The suitcase nuke was actually an implosion-type weapon.

They found that suitcases work better than the ole' screwdriver.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Cover the wall in horizontal rubber wheels and reinforce the outside face of the cars

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Put casters on the right side of cars so they can ride the walls without shredding the side.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

haveblue posted:

He's also very, very lucky that the wall didn't have a discontinuity anywhere

NASCAR has already learned that lesson.

https://youtu.be/uzxcuV5rmA4

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Put casters on the right side of cars so they can ride the walls without shredding the side.

If it weren't about to be immediately banned you know some cars would show up with this next year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Next week: Driving the wrong way on the track until you wreck all the other cars and win by default

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When do we get to basketball sized paintballs being fired from the front bumper?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i remember this one correctly this happened because there was a spider in the car
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rkmypeifw71r0uzl6.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FCKGW posted:

The people who started the fire are not the same people affected by the mudslides, hope this helps.

Ah, I see, I retract my contempt.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/LlX8G10.gifv

Guiyang, China

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Sweet, I've always wanted to drive on a treble clef

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ablative posted:

Sweet, I've always wanted to drive on a treble clef

Eh, I'm all about that bass

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ekuNNN posted:

if i remember this one correctly this happened because there was a spider in the car

wow that spider drives like poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

lol @ the casual stroll after letting Jesus take the wheel

If you time it right, you can cut 20 seconds off your lap time by jumping from the upper level to the lower level. High risk, high reward strat, but consistent with enough practice.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mobby_6kl posted:

Just have a wall on either side that controls where the cars are going. Extend the tracks through the city. Make the cars bigger.

Trains!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PostNouveau posted:

TBH doing something so awesome they make it illegal is like the NASCAR equivalent of getting a Nobel Prize.

mobby_6kl posted:

but for cars.

Which makes me wonder: what sort of radius would you need to get as close to vertical as a banked corner allows with the ground clearance of a stock car, and could a stock car then support the speed required to get and stay up the wall?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wolrah posted:

TBH doing something so awesome they make it illegal is like the NASCAR equivalent of getting a Nobel Prize.

but for cars.

Which makes me wonder: what sort of radius would you need to get as close to vertical as a banked corner allows with the ground clearance of a stock car, and could a stock car then support the speed required to get and stay up the wall?

you mean like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_death

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PostNouveau posted:

If you time it right, you can cut 20 seconds off your lap time by jumping from the upper level to the lower level. High risk, high reward strat, but consistent with enough practice.

Nah, then all the other drivers behind you get a massive speed boost when you aren't looking and still catch up with you.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

its just a name, like the turn of no return or the path of least survival, all portions are called stuff like that in the raceway of terror

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

wolrah posted:

but for cars.

gently caress, there was a Grand Tour episode where they went to a track that had a close-to-90-degree bank, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was or what it was called.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PostNouveau posted:

lol @ the casual stroll after letting Jesus take the wheel

That's a safety stroll of someone who knows chasing after a moving car and trying to get in is dangerous.

Well its that or maybe they quickly had figured the spider owns the car now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ablative posted:

gently caress, there was a Grand Tour episode where they went to a track that had a close-to-90-degree bank, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was or what it was called.

Monza.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ablative posted:

That'd be this one:

https://mundomotor.home.blog/2021/01/01/ehra-lessien-test-track/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Same basic idea, but the important question was how the low ground clearance of a stock car would interact with it. Most wall of death stunts are done with motorcycles, quads, side by sides, and small cars that have relatively steep approach/departure angles for a reason, so the diameter would have to be a lot larger to support a modern race car, at which point the speed has to be higher to generate the necessary lateral Gs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ablative posted:

It was at the Terramar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aut%C3%B3dromo_de_Sitges-Terramar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JodRZSFmOhY

It's pretty similar to the L'Autodrome de limas where Ken Block filmed Gymkhana 3