Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mister Bates posted:

improving your relations with them

gently caress them they gave me a bad deal i took outta desperation they can kiss my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tomn posted:

But hey, that's one form of communism - what about council republics? Instead of having the government run everything, why not delegate power to the people and have everything owned through worker's collectives? Now things get even more interesting - instead of bureaucrats or capitalists, what ends up happening is that you end up hiring a slightly larger total amount of lower strata workers to replace the middle and upper classes that used to own the building, while now declaring that ALL lower strata workers for the building now own it and all share in the dividends. In terms of building productivity this means a big boost - lower strata worker wages are usually something like 1-1.5x the basic wage, which means that without capitalists or bureaucrats sucking up an outsized share of wages the building runs much more efficiently - again, not quite mathy enough to work out the details but as far as I can tell the increased amount of lower strata workers hired isn't enough to make their combined wages more expensive than a capitalist's 6x wages. But now the really interesting thing is what happens when the balance comes in, because after wages are spent all those higher profits become dividends and are shared out amongst every single lower strata worker. Instead of the profits of the factory mostly going to a small few people who become incredibly rich and spend that money on massive amounts of wacky luxuries, the profits instead become a bonus to a large number of people instead. Now, I haven't run with a council republic economy myself, but in theory depending on how strong your economy was when you made the switch, this might very well have some interesting effects that distort the consumer market as you no longer rely on a handful of ultra-rich to buy luxury products, but instead have a large mass of reasonably well-off people who individually consume fewer luxuries, but as a whole might actually end up consuming more if they're rich enough - and if not, then you've just shifted the consumer economy away from luxury goods and more towards basic goods of various kinds, which depending on how your economy has been structured up to now may very well caused some weird economic fluctuations as your luxury factories suddenly find themselves without as big a market as they're used to.

drat, it sure would be nice if the game actually told me any of this poo poo instead of leaving me looking at the screen of government types and going "wow, there really isn't a lot of difference between these, is there".

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So far I am rather partial to "cultivate a healthy population of capitalists by switching everything to publicly traded; watch tax income absolutely skyrocket 30 years later once you can finally push through proportional taxation"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
OK, this can't possibly be working as intended.

I finally, finally got into a position where I could unify Italy as Sardinia-Piedmont without also involving myself in a general European hellwar. All the Italian minors except Naples, my long-time rival, and the Papal States, currently in the middle of a civil war with a Communist anti-pope (whose government wasn't very communist actually) were on my side. The Neapolitans had no real allies defending them - the time was ripe. So I went for it, and launched a unification play.

Thing is, since Naples was still Naples and fairly large (minus Sicily which I took off them one war), the unification play gave me 55 infamy or so. No big deal - except because that infamy was so high, all the Italian minors who had been my prospective allies in this glorious war of unification opted to back out and end their support for me, leaving me to face Naples alone. Now this isn't really that big a problem, I can take them easily, and I'm hoping that the war will still end with my annexing all the Italian minors anyways when I win, but it really doesn't feel like they should be breaking off from a war they were happy to support because oh no, how dare you start a war.

Roadie posted:

drat, it sure would be nice if the game actually told me any of this poo poo instead of leaving me looking at the screen of government types and going "wow, there really isn't a lot of difference between these, is there".

The game does SORTA mention part of this - in the description of the relevant laws it'll mention that it "enables/disables certain production types" and you can mouse over this to find out what production types are being talked about exactly and what they do. But it does take a bit of digging and even if it tells you that it doesn't tell you the implications, this is true. It's not ideal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man all these buildings sure are productive! I'm gonna press some buttons see what they do

oh nooooooo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
little stories like the above are so weird bc it really does suggest paradox didn’t really play test a ton of very typical scenarios

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Coupling goods together in a single building was a real bad move for stuff that often has a higher demand than it's "primary" good. Stuff like wine and hardwood I have constantly at over +50% price while softwood and wheat will be at -20% and wasted as I desperately try to over-produce to get the secondary goods. Stuff like hardwood or wine should be their own individual building or there should be production modes that more radically shift your outputs towards those secondary goods. What would also cut down greatly on production method micro is simply letting buildings like that automatically adjust their production based on prices. So if wine is drastically more expensive than wheat, buildings set to "auto" would automatically ramp up wine production.

I'll be honest, I feel like stuff like this and having to manually recombobulate your imports/exports only exists as busywork so you don't notice how much empty time there is in the core gameplay loop.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

verbal enema posted:

im not subscribing to a loving NYTimes lol

https://readermode.io/ enjoy

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Arrath posted:

So far I am rather partial to "cultivate a healthy population of capitalists by switching everything to publicly traded; watch tax income absolutely skyrocket 30 years later once you can finally push through proportional taxation"

Making your entire agricultural industry publicly traded is also a great help for weakening the landlords

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

dead gay comedy forums posted:

anyone played with the fixed typos from the defines?

I ran an observer game with the fixes + the AI mod for ~70 years and the AI still doesn't develop their resources competently. It's better than default but not by much.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
it is very funny how the Regime Change wargoal does not change anything about the target country's diplomatic relations or alliances at all, so you spend several years fighting a war against a coalition of countries, manage to force through a win, and then replace the alliance of reactionary states that hate you with an alliance of nominally-communist states that hate you just as much, and in which you still have zero influence

you raise the flag over the Reichstag and sternly tell Hitler 'if you take that flag down we will come back here and put it up again' and then brush the dust off his uniform and turn around and go home

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 31, 2022

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

it is very funny how the Regime Change wargoal does not change anything about the target country's diplomatic relations or alliances at all, so you spend several years fighting a war against a coalition of countries, manage to force through a win, and then replace the alliance of reactionary states that hate you with an alliance of nominally-communist states that hate you just as much, and in which you still have zero influence

Ah yes, structural realist theory

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

VideoWitch posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a way, maybe under decisions?

It's formable under the culture tab, like Canada and Italy.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Roadie posted:

I'll be honest, I feel like stuff like this and having to manually recombobulate your imports/exports only exists as busywork so you don't notice how much empty time there is in the core gameplay loop.

it’s part of the core gameplay loop?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

you raise the flag over the Reichstag and sternly tell Hitler 'if you take that flag down we will come back here and put it up again' and then brush the dust off his uniform and turn around and go home
So wait, you got them to change the flag?

I was wondering about that when my massive regime change war did literally nothing. Is regime change broken every time or just under some circumstances?

I did notice, separately, that Communist Britain viewed my Communist Japan as a "natural ally", and that affected their disposition, even when they kinda hated be because of my infamy, though I don't know if that was specifically because we were both council republics or not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone have any idea why my trade unions suddenly has 0% clout? For the last 30 years they've been by far the majority of clout and win every election. Am I getting some sort of overflow that's setting them to 0??

The next highest shows a much lower population and wealth. So why's the math saying trade unions is 0???

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

I ran an observer game with the fixes + the AI mod for ~70 years and the AI still doesn't develop their resources competently. It's better than default but not by much.

From my limited observation it seems like the AI only considers it's own market when deciding if it's worthwhile to boost resource production. If they have access to oil but don't have any local demand they aren't going to produce any to export even if it would be extremely profitable.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone have any idea why my trade unions suddenly has 0% clout? For the last 30 years they've been by far the majority of clout and win every election. Am I getting some sort of overflow that's setting them to 0??

The next highest shows a much lower population and wealth. So why's the math saying trade unions is 0???

Yeah there's a bug where clout and approval and stuff can overflow and go negative/zero. That looks like what is happening to you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I've had this bug happen in a few different ways. One time I had a couple of pop jobs go from positive political power to something like -1billion political power. Another time I was expanding the army dramatically and the Armed Forces just suddenly plummeted to 0% influence and remained there permanently. For the Armed Forces, I suspect that because they had so many fully promoted field marshals and admirals, that there might have been some sort of overflow. The trade unions probably had something similar, and also would fluctuate wildly between 0% and 30% or so on a regular basis.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

anyone played with the fixed typos from the defines?

I did. It doesn't seem to make the AI much more inclined to improve their rubber or oil, if it's any consolation. The Netherlands is sitting on a couple of oil fields and is part of my market, so there's plenty of demand for oil, but they don't seem to care.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

verbal enema posted:

im not subscribing to a loving NYTimes lol

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Roadie posted:

it tells you

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zeron posted:

Yeah there's a bug where clout and approval and stuff can overflow and go negative/zero. That looks like what is happening to you.

Trade unions became so happy and powerful they became enraged.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Uh oh!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magil Zeal posted:

I did. It doesn't seem to make the AI much more inclined to improve their rubber or oil, if it's any consolation. The Netherlands is sitting on a couple of oil fields and is part of my market, so there's plenty of demand for oil, but they don't seem to care.

I love how they got rid of capitalists building random factories and abstracted them away into a development pool. I wish we had the option to do the same for our vassals, just step in and use our funds to build them poo poo. So many times I'll have a vassal in my market sitting on 60 empty oil fields while my oil is at +75% price and they do gently caress all.

It's always been the problem in paradox games where they set up cool systems for getting vassals, but the vassal AI will be such poo poo that they're almost never worth it. I'd love vassals if we got to sneak in and help the AI out a little. Also why is there no option to lean on vassals politically? My council republic would very much like to strongly encourage my vassals to perhaps consider banning slavery and adopting a council republic themselves.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I love how they got rid of capitalists building random factories and abstracted them away into a development pool. I wish we had the option to do the same for our vassals, just step in and use our funds to build them poo poo. So many times I'll have a vassal in my market sitting on 60 empty oil fields while my oil is at +75% price and they do gently caress all.

It's always been the problem in paradox games where they set up cool systems for getting vassals, but the vassal AI will be such poo poo that they're almost never worth it. I'd love vassals if we got to sneak in and help the AI out a little. Also why is there no option to lean on vassals politically? My council republic would very much like to strongly encourage my vassals to perhaps consider banning slavery and adopting a council republic themselves.

on top of this if you decide to turn someone into a protectorate you can't even integrate them, I wish I at least had the ability to upgrade them to a puppet and then integrate them or something because I'm sick to death of watching Venezuela not build Sulfur mines to supply my explosives industry

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a related point to the above, bankrolling some minor powers for a while to get an obligation from them seems like a good way to get mid-sized states into your market.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I'm going to put V3 back on the shelf until some more mods and patches come out. Keep running into major bugs and weird issues. But I think we've got a really solid foundation for a great game here.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gaius Marius posted:

If I increase their standards of living then lazy pops will get used to luxurious living. It's much better to keep them at the edge of starvation to better increase their appreciation for what little they have, besides it frees up more resources for the job creators

this. making their lives too good too fast means they arent lean and hungry enough to hard developmentalist scale with the times.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I did run into a weird bug in my current game where nobody seems to be able to colonize a few islands in Indonesia. Whenever I try it says I need an interest there, but I already have an interest there (because I control a coastal region in that area).

Edit: Now my game crashes every time I hit the "mobilize all generals" button. I hope I can limp my way to the end of this run, I was getting close and having fun.

Edit2: Mobilizing them one by one seems to be okay at least.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 1, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Third time was the charm! Got the reforms through. Couldn't conquer Egypt even with my buddy France because they kept backing down lol.

Now to become Number 1 and have maximum healthcare.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How did you get the education one? Even with religious schools I could only get literacy to 35%

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Magil Zeal posted:

On a related point to the above, bankrolling some minor powers for a while to get an obligation from them seems like a good way to get mid-sized states into your market.

I did a whole lot of this in my first run as Japan, I got a good chunk of the Pacific and most of Latin America into my market just by throwing money around

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

gently caress. That's a brilliant idea. Time to Uncle Moneybags my way into some Caribbean Economic Imperialism.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

verbal enema posted:

well i think there should be a way to tell them to gently caress off

Join the British or American market, they'll take your side and France will not invade.

Profit and become a Caribbean empire, puppet south America.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Baronjutter posted:

I love having to spend a solid 10 min recruiting generals, leaving the screen to promote them, then going back to the hiring screen to see what other HQ's need generals. I don't know who thought this was a good system at all. Like why clump troops into HQ's at all? Why not pool them all and assign them automatically to any general with space? I end up having like 30 HQ's all with 5 to 90 troops and it's such a pain hiring and promoting everyone.

You can promote them by right clicking them on the outliner. Saves you from having to change menus.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

DurosKlav posted:

You can promote them by right clicking them on the outliner. Saves you from having to change menus.

holy poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never done multiplayer paradox game before. How does speed work? I'm constantly either paused or at max speed in paradox games. Is it like a vote system where the game goes as slow as the slowest player's setting? So if someone has something to do they can pause but if everyone wants to go fast they can go fast?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Baronjutter posted:

I've never done multiplayer paradox game before. How does speed work? I'm constantly either paused or at max speed in paradox games. Is it like a vote system where the game goes as slow as the slowest player's setting? So if someone has something to do they can pause but if everyone wants to go fast they can go fast?

in all the games I've played in it's been speed 3 unless a massive war is happening.

you basically learn to roll with the punches or suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baronjutter posted:

I love having to spend a solid 10 min recruiting generals, leaving the screen to promote them, then going back to the hiring screen to see what other HQ's need generals. I don't know who thought this was a good system at all. Like why clump troops into HQ's at all? Why not pool them all and assign them automatically to any general with space? I end up having like 30 HQ's all with 5 to 90 troops and it's such a pain hiring and promoting everyone.

my general in savoy or whatever has a fatal case of thalassophobia due to his HQ being 10 miles from the ocean, so I can't use him for amphibious invasions

have to open up a land front first and let him stay in his cabin until the army gets to Thailand, so he can pretend the boat isn't rocking